Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Ghosting Site/Forums?

Ghosting Site/Forums?

Ghosting Site/Forums?

Does anyone know of a site that is totally dedicated to ghosting games? I am interested in joining one or starting one up if there is no such thing?

Do you guys think there is any use in having such a place? I mean there are plenty of stealth games out there that you can ghost in. The obvious being the thief, deus ex and splinter cell series.

If I ever have a choice to stealth a game I will certainly choose that option, just the thought of being able to go in to an area and the NPCS never knew you were thereor kill one guy and wonder what his surviving buddies are saying afterwards? If that was possible in a game?

Any thoughts?

There used to be all kinds of threads here called "ghost reports" or something like that. You could search the old Thief forums. Or better yet send a PM here to Peter Smith. He and others were hip deep in it back in the day. I imagine he can point you in a good direction. He's a moderator here.

Originally Posted by SlyFoxx
    There used to be all kinds of threads here called "ghost reports" or something like that. You could search the old Thief forums. Or better yet send a PM here to Peter Smith. He and others were hip deep in it back in the day. I imagine he can point you in a good direction. He's a moderator here.
    Thanks bro, PM sent to Peter.

The Eidos Thief forums, specifically the Thief - Missions forum, contain numerous threads related to ghosting. That is where the Ghosting style was invented by clayman, and for a long time ghosting was encouraged there by fairly heavy competition.

Some of the oldest Ghosting results were achieved when Eidos was using a different BBS called UBB. The UBB threads were impossible to archive correctly in the database when Eidos changed from UBB to vBulletin. I saved the important threads as HTML files, updating some links manually. These threads are located in a special archive (link below). More current results can be found with searches in the Thief - Missions forum. Some are in proper archives or sticky threads, readily visible. Below are some links on Ghosting:

Starting place, the Thief - Missions forum
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Ghost rules
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=30310

The rules set an important standard. For example, some people at TTLG claim to be ghosting when they do not understand the premise, which is, "Do not be seen or heard, and do no damage." For example, I have heard, "I ghosted the mission with blackjacking." Another thing: it is misleading to say you ghosted part of a mission. The entire mission must be ghosted to claim success.

Ghost / Perfect Thief Status (last post in 2010)
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=74580

FMs - Ghost/Perfect Thief Results (Part 7)
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...+Thief+Results

Links to Parts 1-6 are in first post. As you can see, a lot of "ghost reports" have been written over the years. The intent with these was to describe in detail what has been and can be done and to provide entertainment for other ghosters. Also, they sometimes describe what the author deems can't be done, for others to improve on.

Other Thief lore, mostly ghost related, are in the Old UBB archive:
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/old-ubb/

I am the moderator at the Eidos Thief forums. Since the Thief forums are practically dead these days, my preference would be not to start a new site for ghosting but to return home, where it all started, and to breathe some new life into the Thief - Missions forum. If there are enough of you new ghosters, you will soon dominate the place, which would be a good thing.

Thank you, Peter.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Thank you Peter, that is quite a detailed report on ghosting. It has all the links I could need and I will be using the forum to report on my successes or failures with the new Thief game. I do encourage other players to become interested in the leader boards and with the added share functionality on PS4 and maybe XBONE (not got one) we can back up our game play with video proof. I also believe the leader boards could become the new forum for our successes, but as we do not know how it will work out I cannot say for certain.

Thanks again Peter.

Originally Posted by d4c1981
    Any thoughts?
    I hope you realize that in DXHR, you can still incapacitate people and be rewarded with a 'ghosting' achievement. The same will probably go for nuThief.

Eidos Montreal's 'Ghost' = Knocking people out is okay, as long as they don't see you

Which is a completely dumbed-down and fundamentally incorrect usage of the term.

Originally Posted by Meridius
    I hope you realize that in DXHR, you can still incapacitate people and be rewarded with a 'ghosting' achievement. The same will probably go for nuThief.

Eidos Montreal's 'Ghost' = Knocking people out is okay, as long as they don't see you

Which is a completely dumbed-down and fundamentally incorrect usage of the term.
    From their statements, they understand what ghosting means.

I did mention Deus Ex in my original post so I am aware you can ghost the game apart from boss fights. I think in a new edition you will be able to stealth them too?

So yeah my aim was not to have a Thief only ghosting site but to have a site dedicated to ghosting in all stealth games. At Peters wishes though I am not going to make a new site but rather put some effort in to the old one.

What sparked me to say what I did, was Peter's example of what real ghosting is, and how nuThief won't fit into those definitions. So I don't think nuThief's version of faux ghosting will be compatible with what he's talking about.

Unless I've misunderstood you, and you're not including nuThief.

It would be nice if there will be extra bonuses for ghosting without even needing to lay a finger on a guard, and this may even be the case. That and the version of ghosting where you knock out guards are two rather different play-styles.

I do like to be active with the blackjack though. When a guard is out of action I can take my time and explore more freely.

Great summary Peter.

Thanks for the summary and links, Peter.
    Yeah, we should see more fans return to your forum very soon.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

What sparked me to say what I did, was Peter's example of what real ghosting is, and how nuThief won't fit into those definitions. So I don't think nuThief's version of faux ghosting will be compatible with what he's talking about.

Unless I've misunderstood you, and you're not including nuThief.
    It has been stated that you can stealth the entire game without killing a soul...

Playstation Magazine

Originally Posted by spyhopping
    It would be nice if there will be extra bonuses for ghosting without even needing to lay a finger on a guard, and this may even be the case. That and the version of ghosting where you knock out guards are two rather different play-styles.

I do like to be active with the blackjack though. When a guard is out of action I can take my time and explore more freely.

Great summary Peter.
    You can play how you want too, its not limited to action or stealth you can mix it up, it sounds amazing and I cannot wait to play it on the 28/02/14. Shame I have to wait days after the US gets it...

I have also just bought the thief trilogy, deus ex GOTY and system shock 2 via steam, getting pumped for the new thief!

It has been stated that you can stealth the entire game without killing a soul...

Playstation Magazine

Yes, also confirmed in the FAQs:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=118236
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I cannot wait to play it on the 28/02/14. Shame I have to wait days after the US gets it...!
    Look on the bright side; since the yanks are getting THIEF first, then that gives us time to read fans' reactions and decide if the game is still worth getting.

On that note, what is it with you yanks delaying games on this side of the Atlantic? Is this revenge for that whole tea party incident? Cos' you started it!

Originally Posted by InDIGnation
    Look on the bright side; since the yanks are getting THIEF first, then that gives us time to read fans' reactions and decide if the game is still worth getting.

On that note, what is it with you yanks delaying games on this side of the Atlantic? Is this revenge for that whole tea party incident? Cos' you started it!
    Me and Thomas Jefferson came up with the idea. But he denies it and says it was all me.

I will be getting the game regardless of peoples views. I just know I will be tempted to watch gameplay trailers, so may end up spoiling the game for myself.

I will be interested to see peoples views on the leaderboards system if that's released with the game or later once its all setup.

Prepare for stupidity: it's to do with tradition. It is "traditional" for Europe to have big releases on Fridays. So that means we have to wait longer than everyone else

Originally Posted by knox140
    Prepare for stupidity: it's to do with tradition. It is "traditional" for Europe to have big releases on Fridays. So that means we have to wait longer than everyone else
    Darn us brits and our traditions! :-(

I know

Eurogamer did an article on it:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ed-on-a-friday

Originally Posted by knox140
    There are nae oceans on the internet.

The new Thief is being made in Canada and Canadians aren't yanks

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    The new Thief is being made in Canada and Canadians aren't yanks
    I am of course being facetious .

Never shall a free and proud people bow to some Hanoverian Princeling. Give me Thief two days early, or death.

Originally Posted by DadaFish
    Never shall a free and proud people bow to some Hanoverian Princeling. Give me Thief two days early, or death.
    Hah! What're you taffers gonna do, fire your pea shooters at us? Have at thee!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last