Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Thread: A Thief Fan Previews Thief - ask any questions

A Thief Fan Previews Thief - ask any questions

A Thief Fan Previews Thief - ask any questions

Hey guys, just last Wednesday I sat down and played Thief for four hours, from starting a new game to the mysterious
    My extra-detailed preview can be found right here at Strategy Informer, but as the Thief series is my favourite gaming series I thought it'd be nice to pop in to the forum and try my best to answer any questions you guys might have that haven't been cleared up by the various previews around the net.

So fire away with any questions, and here's a few points that didn't make it in the preview:

• Basso's raven is called Jenivere. Heh.
    • There really are a hell of a lot of options, both to make a custom difficulty mode and also in-game tweaks. You can even make it harder than classic Thief, turning off the Light Gem and Garrett's in-mission comments.
    • I played on the PS4, and you know that light on the pad? It flashes when there's a bolt of lightning. And you can use the touchscreen to quickly access items.
    • There are Burrick heads mounted in the Crippled Burrick inn.
    • The House of Blossoms has been completely redesigned since it was shown off last year. It's also quite difficult.
    • Both the Focus Mode and the much-maligned "Swoop" move can be avoided and/or turned off. I barely used either.
    • Oh, and the Swoop is no longer on the same button as Sprint/Climb. It has it's own button now.
    • Despite one preview saying otherwise there ARE multiple options in each area. The final objective may stay the same but there are often several (sometimes subtle) paths to get there. To be fair though, missions are more guided than previous games.

I'm sure I'll think of more - hell, I can give you the PS4 controller layout if you like. Anyhoo, ask any questions you fancy. I'll do my best to answer them. Remember, I'm not a developer, just a fan who's played it for a few hours!

I actually would like to hear the current PS4 button layout, as that's what I have the game preordered for.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

This is awesome, thanks for taking the time to answer questions, Tingler! And thanks for the thorough preview, I'll be sure to share it widely.

why did i click on the spoiler ...
    stupid spoilers you cant help but click em

Originally Posted by Master Taffer
    I actually would like to hear the current PS4 button layout, as that's what I have the game preordered for.
    Okay, from top down -

L2 = Sprint/Climb, like Assassin's Creed come to think about it
    L1 = Dodge, only used if you're being attacked
    R2 = Ready and fire arrow or throwable item
    R1 = Blackjack/Takedown (yes, you can swing the blackjack even if you're not taking down an enemy)
    Options = Pause Menu
    Touchpad = Inventory, scroll to select and click to equip (or use consumable Food or Poppy)
    D-Pad Up = Journal
    D-Pad Left/Right = Scroll Inventory
    D-Pad Down = Activate/Deactivate Minimap (yes, there's a proper map this time, but you can turn the minimap off permanently from the options).
    Triangle = Activate Focus
    Square = Interact/Use
    Circle = Cancel/Drop Down
    X = Swoop
    Left Analogue click = crouch
    Right analogue click = zoom.

Can I also say that I am an utter convert to the PS4 pad now? I hated the DualShock but this one is perfect, and more importantly works very well with Thief. I'm a PC gamer all the way but I wouldn't be averse to playing on PS4 instead.

I was hoping they would make the shroud optional, and not the light gem...

Originally Posted by The Tingler
    Okay, from top down -

L2 = Sprint/Climb, like Assassin's Creed come to think about it
    L1 = Dodge, only used if you're being attacked
    R2 = Ready and fire arrow or throwable item
    R1 = Blackjack/Takedown (yes, you can swing the blackjack even if you're not taking down an enemy)
    Options = Pause Menu
    Touchpad = Inventory, scroll to select and click to equip (or use consumable Food or Poppy)
    D-Pad Up = Journal
    D-Pad Left/Right = Scroll Inventory
    D-Pad Down = Activate/Deactivate Minimap (yes, there's a proper map this time, but you can turn the minimap off permanently from the options).
    Triangle = Activate Focus
    Square = Interact/Use
    Circle = Cancel/Drop Down
    X = Swoop
    Left Analogue click = crouch
    Right analogue click = zoom.

Can I also say that I am an utter convert to the PS4 pad now? I hated the DualShock but this one is perfect, and more importantly works very well with Thief. I'm a PC gamer all the way but I wouldn't be averse to playing on PS4 instead.
    Thanks, good to know.

I'm a Dualshock 4 convert, as well. Previously I had spent my time on the Xbox as my platform, and one of the reasons was their controller was just way better than the Dualshock 1 - 3. I hated those controllers. I picked up the Dualshock 4 the first time at E3 when I was playing Northcrest Manor.

I believe I went "...Whoa. Huh."

Still like the Xbox controller a lot, but man... Dat Dualshock 4...
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Ahh, so there is no standalone classic Jump/Mantle button. It's combined into the Assassin's Creed parkour button. I hope Garrett doesn't go all crazy parkoury and start leaping over stuff when all I want to do is stealthily mantle onto a crate or cart.

How does the zoom work? Is it connected to a mechanical eye, to the focus ability, or is there just no explanation (I guess Garrett is just squinting)?

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    Ahh, so there is no standalone classic Jump/Mantle button. It's combined into the Assassin's Creed parkour button. I hope Garrett doesn't go all crazy parkoury and start leaping over stuff when all I want to do is stealthily mantle onto a crate or cart.
    Even worse than AC. AC let's you still jump manual while free running.

Does Garrett actually go into a run, of sorts, when pushing full throttle on the movement stick, or does he just walk a bit faster than slow? Only asking, because I had hoped not to have to enter AC parkour mode just to move around at a decent clip that's somewhere between a fast walk and the AC sprint, but I don't see a simple "run" button.

I wonder if the triangle button can be re-assigned if we disable Focus; otherwise, quite a waste of a good button.

If R1 is the only "swing blackjack" button, does that mean we can't just simply 'bonk' guards on the head like in T1/T2? We will always have to watch some quick takedown animation, like where he grabs the guard and clubs them on the side of the head? (All videos seem to display "Press (R1) to takedown" when you're close to a guard; so that leads me to believe Garrett can't just do a classic *bonk*.)

No questions from me ... but cheers to The Tingler for the preview and taking the time to answer queries.

signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by shmouver
    I was hoping they would make the shroud optional, and not the light gem...
    Could well be, there are a HELL of a lot of options and I'd be surprised if that wasn't. I barely noticed it anyway after a few seconds.

Originally Posted by scumm
    How does the zoom work? Is it connected to a mechanical eye, to the focus ability, or is there just no explanation (I guess Garrett is just squinting)?
    Not explained, but it's clearly his mechanical eye. The view even goes slightly "metally", and you can use it before you get the Focus ability.

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    Does Garrett actually go into a run, of sorts, when pushing full throttle on the movement stick, or does he just walk a bit faster than slow? Only asking, because I had hoped not to have to enter AC parkour mode just to move around at a decent clip that's somewhere between a fast walk and the AC sprint, but I don't see a simple "run" button.
    Walks decently faster (but not stupidly so, just right I'd say) - L2 is the proper sprint button, and I never needed to use it except to climb up things.

If R1 is the only "swing blackjack" button, does that mean we can't just simply 'bonk' guards on the head like in T1/T2? We will always have to watch some quick takedown animation, like where he grabs the guard and clubs them on the side of the head? (All videos seem to display "Press (R1) to takedown" when you're close to a guard; so that leads me to believe Garrett can't just do a classic *bonk*.)
    It's all first-person and brief, but yes, you have to get close enough to do a proper "takedown" rather than just swing and bash them on the leg. If you're creeping up behind them it'll happen. If anything it feels like a discouragement from taking guards down at all, there's always some risk if you do.

The Gamespot article was written by Dan Hindes- wasn't he the guy who wrote the SneakyBastards preview at E3?

Originally Posted by knox140
    The Gamespot article was written by Dan Hindes- wasn't he the guy who wrote the SneakyBastards preview at E3?
    Yep, same guy.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Not explained, but it's clearly his mechanical eye. The view even goes slightly "metally", and you can use it before you get the Focus ability.
    Interesting. I saw you mention that in the other thread too.

So Garrett has a mechanical eye at the start of the game AND gets some kind of magic attached to it as well. I wonder if that's why only one eye is affected.

And I wonder how he got the mechanical eye, if not from a run in with the Trickster.

He starts with a mechanical eye?? Seriously? That makes no sense at all for a reboot.
    "Thief -- it's not impossible that it will make Thief fans happy!"

Sure it does, they can make up any story they want. Anything goes.

Changing topics - I thought we had read somewhere recently that Garrett could do a melee KO, one that didn't require any kind of takedown animation? Or did I get that wrong?
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

I'm surprised they didn't mention this earlier. Do you use it the same way as in the old games, to zoom?

@Tingler - can you turn off all the lockpicking on-screen prompts and strictly rely on sound? I don't mean just the inside tumber view, but also the overlay with the 3 round shapes and the "R2 Set pin" text, etc.
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

Originally Posted by brethren
    I thought we had read somewhere recently that Garrett could do a melee KO, one that didn't require any kind of takedown animation? Or did I get that wrong?
    If you're imagining something like Deus Ex's takedowns forget it. The "takedown animation" is just a literal first-person thump and Garrett carefully putting the body on the ground. If an enemy's stunned during combat the takedown move is more elaborate, but otherwise it is basically always just a bash to the head.

can you turn off all the lockpicking on-screen prompts and strictly rely on sound? I don't mean just the inside tumber view, but also the overlay with the 3 round shapes and the "R2 Set pin" text, etc.
    First of all - yes, that's definitely an option I noticed. Second of all, this is actually a big deal I didn't have a chance to put in the preview about the lockpicking being completely changed. I don't think the inside tumbler view (a la Splinter Cell) appears at all (unless it's with Focus which I never tried) and it's just the circles for the most part. There can be up to five circles and can be quite tough, you have to be patient with it (the watchword for the game there), but you most definitely can turn off the prompts and rely on sound and controller rumble.

Originally Posted by Cavalier
    He starts with a mechanical eye?? Seriously? That makes no sense at all for a reboot.
    My thoughts exactly...

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger
    I'm surprised they didn't mention this earlier. Do you use it the same way as in the old games, to zoom?
    Yes, exactly the same way.

One more - during all of Garrett's animations (opening doors, grabbing loot, putting out candles, etc.), do you actually lose control of the character while the animation plays? If so, for how long? And is it really noticeable? I have to say I would find that really annoying if I had to freeze for 2 seconds every time Garrett opens a door. I remember getting some of this in the latest Tomb Raider and it really irked me.

Originally Posted by brethren
    One more - during all of Garrett's animations (opening doors, grabbing loot, putting out candles, etc.), do you actually lose control of the character while the animation plays? If so, for how long? And is it really noticeable? I have to say I would find that really annoying if I had to freeze for 2 seconds every time Garrett opens a door. I remember getting some of this in the latest Tomb Raider and it really irked me.
    I absolutely did not notice this, ever. Every one is such a momentary thing it never bothered me, but then it didn't bother me in Tomb Raider either. Oh well.

Did you see any sign of guards reacting to your shadow?

Originally Posted by Master Taffer
    Yep, same guy.
    Oops, posted that in the wrong thread :/

So let me get this straight. The keepers are like the Italian mafia of the 1950's that play poker and smoke cigars in the basement--with a brothel upstairs? I hope I'm wrong because that would be so cliche to implement that!

But I do hope I'm wrong about my assumption....mind you, I haven't read this person experience from the gameplay yet.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last