Thread: Possible to get every aug now?

Possible to get every aug now?

  1. #26
    Ihavereturned,

    What's with all the anger? This is a great game with lots of flexibility. How many games can you play numerous times? I'm sorry you don't like the Director's cut...you might want to give it chance and actually play it. Did you know that Tong has a son?

  2. #27
    Ihavereturned,

    Can I ask what your reasoning was for buying the DC? What were you expecting?

  3. #28
    I just want to add this before I go. The DE:HR: DC added the following items:

    Game+
    Extras(Interviews and making of Deus Ex)
    Harder Bosses
    More weapons throughout the game
    Director Commentary. I have not had time yet to explore this feature
    Strategy Guide. I not sure what or where this is.
    Touch features for Wii and Xbox/Smartglass

  4. #29
    Okay, the factory reset thing helps, but it is still just a rationalization of a fundamentaly jarring mechanic. I specifically held off on playing further in the game because I had heard the DLC didn't respect your upgrades, which I had presumed was because it was a separate app (which still seems likely) but that the DC would actually integrate it into the game. So obviously I didn't expect the equivalent of a main menu option, I expected real integration. Which of course becomes impossible if EM made the aug reset plot-related.

    Damn. That is still pretty disappointing. I thought having to start my game over and having a completely new app in my Steam library was justified by the game having been remade. This thing turned out to be just a glorified patch after all...
    "The chief problem is that once you take the name of a beloved franchise, you're assuming responsibility for upholding its legacy". -AusGamers Thief review

  5. #30
    You need to pay attention, review this cutscene for how we got to the missing link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Rvl0NJVww

  6. #31
    I need "to pay attention"? When a DLC is set in the middle of a game, you tend to avoid spoiling yourself on its particulars until you have actually arrived at that point in the story. As I said, I stopped ahead of this to avoid jarring mechanics resulting from the DLC being separated from the main game. Little did I know such a ridicilous thing was actually intentional on EM's part, to the point where even an actual integration by necessity would be merely cosmetic. It's like this company went creatively bankrupt the moment DXHR was released.
    "The chief problem is that once you take the name of a beloved franchise, you're assuming responsibility for upholding its legacy". -AusGamers Thief review

  7. #32
    Are you serious? I can't believe this...Deus Ex will live on Forever. I can't wait for Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Legendary Edition. The End.

  8. #33
    Well, think about it. This is all on EM.

    First they release a game whose plot has a giant hole in the middle with content apparently significant enough to make a DLC out of, possibly even with a plan to fill that hole later. Then, because apparently you can't just add a DLC to the main game layout and design it from there, they have to contrive a story where Adam loses all of his augs. And then they make a 180, and decide to squeeze us for more money by integrating the thing after all, after having gone to some lengths to keep it separate, without making plot and mechanic changes to fit the inclusion.

    Its schizophrenic game design with a transparent lack of forethought and planning. They are all over the place, and I'm convinced the DC ends up suffering for it, compared to what could have been, had they just planned things out properly from the start.

    Also, what is the Legacy Pack?
    "The chief problem is that once you take the name of a beloved franchise, you're assuming responsibility for upholding its legacy". -AusGamers Thief review

  9. #34
    We will probably agree on Two points. Point 1, DE:HR and DE:ML were probably designed with eventual reunification in mind. Software is complex. Techniques change because there are better methods to do something over time. The DE:HRC is not just a merging of two piece of software. New features were added.

    Also, Jensen in ML lost all his augs the first time...this is not something new. This is unchanged.

    Point 2, they are squeezing us for more money...I think I paid $4.99 on Steam because I bought the original DE:HR and DE: ML w/addons. I don't have a problem with this.

    These guys are too smart for "schizophrenic game design with a transparent lack of forethought and planning."
    The DC lets players experience something that was impossible previously...A fully augmented Adam Jensen that you can play from beginning of the game. This is a nice feature and I'm taking advantage of it now.

  10. #35
    Originally Posted by ResidentX
    These guys are too smart for "schizophrenic game design with a transparent lack of forethought and planning."
    Tell that to the Director's Cut and Thief.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

  11. #36
    I don't understand. Was the comment true or not? I thought the game was designed well but maybe the others feel differently.

  12. #37
    Originally Posted by ResidentX
    We will probably agree on Two points. Point 1, DE:HR and DE:ML were probably designed with eventual reunification in mind. Software is complex. Techniques change because there are better methods to do something over time. The DE:HRC is not just a merging of two piece of software. New features were added.

    Also, Jensen in ML lost all his augs the first time...this is not something new. This is unchanged.
    I must have been supremely unclear, for this is the opposite of what I tried to say.

    I don't think HR and ML were intended to be reunified. If that had been the case, they probably would have just included the DLC the first time around. More likely time ran out and they chose the important bits of HR, while leaving the less important plot hole for a DLC. Not ideal, but understandable. Then they did the DLC, and because it was separate and it apprently takes a whole new app to integrate the two, they had to take away Adam's augs in the story. And had it ended there, I would have been fine with it, given what I now know. Ideally it should have been included to begin with, but if not, that is acceptable, since the contrivance is explained away.

    The two being unified in the DC is the problem IMO. The original story of the DLC is undermined by its obvious RL origins being taken away. With an integrated product, there is no overarching reason for Adam to lose his augs. Which is why, along with a brand new app at a price rivaling what I paid for the original game, I had expected this DC to do away with that loss, to maintain the upgrades you had, and rebalance the rest of the game accordingly for a unified experience. Apart from the boss fights, that was the only reason I figured this was a worth a brand new version of the game, why it had taken two years to make. For the rest of it sounds like it could have been handled by a regular patch.

    It's not that I'm displeased that they did integrate the two while they were at it. It's just that my purchase was founded on the belief that this was a genuine integration, as if the DLC had never been cut out of HR to begin with, something every non-spoiler indication suggested. And then I got this glorified patch instead, just because EM had to make a DLC interquel of all things, the only RPG interquel I'm aware of that doesn't permit you to keep your skills.
    "The chief problem is that once you take the name of a beloved franchise, you're assuming responsibility for upholding its legacy". -AusGamers Thief review

  13. #38
    How would Jensen having access to all of his augments during the missing link improve the game?

    I think the augments would have definitely thrown that piece of the game out of balance.

  14. #39
    Cart before the horse. If keeping his augs is detrimental to the missions that is a problem with the mission design. Then obviously the whole thing was based on a foundation of him losing them. The least I had expected was a rebalance where that would no longer be the case.

    The point is, you can't ask how it would have benefitted a DLC not designed for it. It obviously wouldn't. But that is a result of how it was envisioned and designed from the start, not some inviolable law of nature that demanded the plot and mechanics be designed that way. It could have been different had it not been a separate app, and that is what I had hoped for with the DC.
    "The chief problem is that once you take the name of a beloved franchise, you're assuming responsibility for upholding its legacy". -AusGamers Thief review

  15. #40
    Originally Posted by IHaveReturned
    Cart before the horse. If keeping his augs is detrimental to the missions that is a problem with the mission design. Then obviously the whole thing was based on a foundation of him losing them.
    My thoughts exactly. I was actually planning on posting something very similar, just hadn't got around to it. Not that I mind how it worked out in the end, but it's apparent that it was forced because the DLC was originally released as standalone, so they had no knowledge of how many Praxis kits you had in the main game, or what build-out you had chosen, so they had to design the whole thing around him losing his augs.

  16. #41
    Given that it is part of the ML storyline, in actuality, I still don't know how Jensen would had gotten captured, in the first place. With his cyberpack, cloaking abilities and stealth takedown, it would literally be impossible to take him down or subdue it. Unless they came up with an off switch or something better that the implant you can or decide not to get in Hengsha 2.

  17. #42
    Originally Posted by hybridex
    Given that it is part of the ML storyline, in actuality, I still don't know how Jensen would had gotten captured, in the first place. With his cyberpack, cloaking abilities and stealth takedown, it would literally be impossible to take him down or subdue it. Unless they came up with an off switch or something better that the implant you can or decide not to get in Hengsha 2.
    Interesting comment. Jensen was in a sea of human containers. How they found him I would like to know that. Maybe they didn't have a shipping manifest and quarantined him before he woke up. Keitner said he took out a lot of soldiers before they took him down.

  18. #43
    Personally, i find it a mixed bag. On one hand, it's realistic that he might suffer a system reset and be forced to cope with it (realistic, as in, technology sucks even in the future; i mean, notice that he's still having to pay to unlock stuff already built in... he shoulda pirated the praxis unlocks, hah hah)... But on the other hand, it makes the middle of the game suddenly a LOT HARDER to play in spite of your efforts to build out and learn to use the augs you have acquired so far in the game. It's jarring. It DOES appear to be entirely designed for a standalone, rather than simply a "missing chapter" reinserted, yet that missing chapter is a HUGE reveal about the technology and the abuse of people by corporations. To me, that was the most shocking story element in the whole game, and it wasn't even originally THERE in the original edition?? Wow!

    Also, New Game + is broken by once again losing all your augments when you get to the missing link chapter! There's no way to play the missing link with all your augments, so the New Game + doesn't really exist in that context.

  19. #44
    Originally Posted by dysamoria
    Personally, i find it a mixed bag. On one hand, it's realistic that he might suffer a system reset and be forced to cope with it (realistic, as in, technology sucks even in the future; i mean, notice that he's still having to pay to unlock stuff already built in... he shoulda pirated the praxis unlocks, hah hah)... But on the other hand, it makes the middle of the game suddenly a LOT HARDER to play in spite of your efforts to build out and learn to use the augs you have acquired so far in the game. It's jarring. It DOES appear to be entirely designed for a standalone, rather than simply a "missing chapter" reinserted, yet that missing chapter is a HUGE reveal about the technology and the abuse of people by corporations. To me, that was the most shocking story element in the whole game, and it wasn't even originally THERE in the original edition?? Wow!

    Also, New Game + is broken by once again losing all your augments when you get to the missing link chapter! There's no way to play the missing link with all your augments, so the New Game + doesn't really exist in that context.
    I disagree with your assessment. I just think this game has so much inside if they don't restrict/reset the augments you'll blow through this game. I'm playing it now with all my augments and the game is different. I saved Malik from the Hengsha ambush over the weekend. Something I could have never have done before.

    I did laugh at the "technology sucks even in the future..." and the "pirated the praxis unlocks" comments.

  20. #45
    I'm sure with Burke and his military being secretive, they would have the technology be able to temporary reset the augmentation. However, with the arsenal that Jensen holds in his inventory and his takedown abilities multiple times over with continuing replenishment from the cyberpack, there is still no way he could have been subdued. 8 guys or spec ops soldiers would still not be enough. Still, somehow he was subdued and reset to factory zero, but it had made the ML interesting and more challenging to play that way. Still good storyline to throw in Tong's son rescue and ML to the main game.

  21. #46
    Originally Posted by hybridex
    I'm sure with Burke and his military being secretive, they would have the technology be able to temporary reset the augmentation. However, with the arsenal that Jensen holds in his inventory and his takedown abilities multiple times over with continuing replenishment from the cyberpack, there is still no way he could have been subdued. 8 guys or spec ops soldiers would still not be enough. Still, somehow he was subdued and reset to factory zero, but it had made the ML interesting and more challenging to play that way. Still good storyline to throw in Tong's son rescue and ML to the main game.
    Jensen is augmented but he has to sleep, right? I could see them around him and then he woke up and the story does kind of go to hell. How do you disable the typhoon system...it was bleeding edge?

  22. #47
    Yes.. I agree that it had to happen for the storyline of ML to spin off, but game-wise and theoretically speaking, Jensen is actually invincible. I have gone through the entire gameplay, and I am sure many have as well, without getting killed or even touched or seen, due to his cloaking and multiple takedown abilities. You would not eben not his cloaking for a flawless undetected play, however and It kicks ass for getting ghost every time. Of course, in all fairness, even Superman has his kryptonite. So, I am sure his typhoon and augs could be reset and temporarily deactivated. That typhoon is badass too!

  23. #48
    I enjoy the aug reset in TML. By that time in the last quarter of the game, you're normally so overpowered that going back to zero offers a change of pace and having to consider your actions tactically again.

  24. #49
    I agree with you totally. It was a nice change of pace and to see that Jensen is not really so invincible, all bloodied up while strapped in that chair. It is also hilarious how his humor comes out during the exchange with Keitner, even though he is all bloodied up and really no outlook yet of an escape, at that starting point of the game.

  25. #50
    Originally Posted by dysamoria
    Also, New Game + is broken by once again losing all your augments when you get to the missing link chapter! There's no way to play the missing link with all your augments, so the New Game + doesn't really exist in that context.
    What? That is just ridicilous. They couldn't even let you keep your augs for the NG+ version?! That defies the purpose of the mode! Do you at least get your total Praxis back after, so you can continue where you left off afterwards?
    "The chief problem is that once you take the name of a beloved franchise, you're assuming responsibility for upholding its legacy". -AusGamers Thief review

Page 2 of 4 First First 1234 Last