Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Game footage without ANY commentary - See first post/first page

Game footage without ANY commentary - See first post/first page

  1. #1

    Game footage without ANY commentary - See first post/first page








    http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/7...-gameplay-demo

  2. #2
    There are only one or two that I'm aware of, which is unfortunate. These are the two best ones I've seen to hear the actual game. The 1st has no commentary (the only one in existence, I think); the 2nd has some commentary.

    These two three videos are probably the two three best videos I've seen for hearing game audio and ambient music:
    - E3 Gameplay Demo - No Commentary - I think normally this plays in HD for me, but not at the moment. My connection must not be that great. If you can't see in HD, maybe try refreshing the page or checking back some other day.
    - Eurogamer Expo 2013 Gameplay Demo - Some Commentary
    EDIT: Here's another one where you can hear some game audio fairly well, despite commentary: http://youtu.be/5--ZKsAi5E0

    Not sure why EM can't just publish some straight gameplay vids, with no Focus being used and very little swooping. As I've indicated before, I'm still waiting for a video I can just loop in the background and immerse myself in the world... and get subconsciously attached to! Too many *whooshes* and Focus sounds going on, even heart-thumping music when AIs get alert, along with commentary on every video, as you say. I'm not sure the new Thief will have moments of relaxing modesty to just vibe on. Gotta have all the HUD sounds and modern-day gaming cinematic audio overlays to liven things up and make it feel like you're playing a video game.

  3. #3
    I must say, rewatching that video, the music that comes on when guards get suspicious distresses me somewhat. This leaves me with a dilemma. I like the in game music we heard from the EGX a lot, but if we get that soundtrack coming on whenever guards see you, and it's not optional, I may have to turn music off altogether.

    I like how Garrett looks at his hands when he dies, though. That's a nice touch.

  4. #4
    Thank you very much for that, going to watch it now.

    Yeah I could have sworn that most companies release straight footage of a game. Because I really want to try and get a "feel" for it if you know what I mean.

    I do like the game and i'm excited but at the same time i'm very cautious about it.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    Not sure why EM can't just publish some straight gameplay vids, with no Focus being used and very little swooping. As I've indicated before, I'm still waiting for a video I can just loop in the background and immerse myself in the world... and get subconsciously attached to! Too many *whooshes* and Focus sounds going on, even heart-thumping music when AIs get alert, along with commentary on every video, as you say. I'm not sure the new Thief will have moments of relaxing modesty to just vibe on. Gotta have all the HUD sounds and modern-day gaming cinematic audio overlays to liven things up and make it feel like you're playing a video game.
    Originally Posted by garryengly
    Yeah I could have sworn that most companies release straight footage of a game. Because I really want to try and get a "feel" for it if you know what I mean.
    We could request a no-commentary gameplay video, with all HUD turned off and with no focus & minimal swooping during the next Take 5. I'd be perfectly happy just with footage of what we've already seen in the Northcrest Manor level, I can imagine the EM devs don't want to spoil too much gameplay before release.

    Watching the E3 build again, with no commentary, I can see how they are pushing for such great immersion. It's just those few things that really bring it down. The shroud's opacity, for one, although I know that isn't a problem anymore. The HUD elements, another, and we know that they are all optional. The combat music is the worst thing. It just seems so out of place. In a game that has put so much effort into really making you feel absorbed into the world, playing the combat music as though Garrett has selected a suitably dramatic song on his iPod to get him into the fighting spirit kinda jeapordises all that. It even plays when guards get suspicious! That makes no sense to me.

    But, overall, the video WAS really immersive- even just watching it, in my dark bedroom with no commentary and the sound of the Graven mob in the background (I really love that, by the way), was really absorbing. Which is a very good sign, imo, especially considering I was watching it on a crappy laptop screen, in 720p at 30FPS with the irritating Gametrailers video player's stops and starts. And the final build will be even better.

  6. #6
    I had seen that footage before but with commentary and I have to say its so nice to watch it without. The eurogamer video had the most obnoxious presenter and during the video even when he was quiet he was breathing so much.. maybe they should have muted his mic or something but anyway.

    The immersion of that gametrailers video was incredible minus the parts you described Knox. I too watched it on my ty laptop in a dark room but just seeing the flags move in the wind and the emptyness was amazing, hearing that crowd roaring in the background created this subtle tension and the guards noticing and then giving reason to not inspect the water fountain when it shut off was a very nice detail.

    I really think EM are giving it their all and I am very glad that they listened to the outcry of the shroud because it was so damn distracting in an otherwise beautiful world. The shadow situation is a bit strange as well and there is a crap load of fog but I guess these are all things that will be tweaked for the final version.

    That music was a bit silly as well now thinking about it.

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by knox140
    I must say, rewatching that video, the music that comes on when guards get suspicious distresses me somewhat. This leaves me with a dilemma. I like the in game music we heard from the EGX a lot, but if we get that soundtrack coming on whenever guards see you, and it's not optional, I may have to turn music off altogether.
    Somewhat distressed by it? I'm highly bothered by it. Have been since we saw it at E3. On top of it just being non-immersive, annoying and a not-so-subtle reminder that you're playing a video game, it is yet one more way to make Garrett a mind reader. A music tune plays in his head when his ESP powers realize guards in the area are alert. It's an audio version of the AI alert icons floating above AI heads. So, if we can turn of the alert icons, we better be able to turn off the contextual, "I'm going to get you, Mr. Garrett!" music... which then magically goes away when Garrett's ESP powers sense the AI are no longer feeling anger or curiosity inside. If ESP music plays when guards are alert/attacking, I will also be shutting music completely off. Which is sad, because a big part of the Thief experience is... errr, should be for any game in the franchise... the ambient music.

    Originally Posted by knox140
    I like how Garrett looks at his hands when he dies, though. That's a nice touch.
    Still, the death is a little anti-climactic and nonchalant, like DXHR was. With T1/T2, I genuinely cringed and hated the thought of death because Garrett's *arrrrgh!* was so shocking and painful. You could hear it in the voice acting and the suddenness of it all; especially when falling to your death. With this E3 demonstration, it's just like, "Oh, look at my hands. I think I'll go to sleep now. Zzzz..." Not painful at all. No cringing. No thought inside of like, "OMG I hate this; I should be careful to not die." Nothing like that. Sooo yeahhh, I hope they fixed that.

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    Somewhat distressed by it? I'm highly bothered by it. Have been since we saw it at E3. On top of it just being non-immersive, annoying and a not-so-subtle reminder that you're playing a video game, it is yet one more way to make Garrett a mind reader. A music tune plays in his head when his ESP powers realize guards in the area are alert. It's an audio version of the AI alert icons floating above AI heads. So, if we can turn of the alert icons, we better be able to turn off the contextual "I'm going to get you, Mr. Garrett!" music; which then magically goes away when Garrett's ESP powers sense the AI are no longer feeling anger or curiosity inside.
    Highly bothered then. No, you're right, it is the worst thing about the game so far imo. Although not anymore, because Astro's video that he just posted shows that the music DOESN'T play when people get suspicious. Don't know if that translates to combat as well, but I hope it doesn't.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNP4Yh3jg6k

    0:25

    Originally Posted by garryengly
    I had seen that footage before but with commentary and I have to say its so nice to watch it without. The eurogamer video had the most obnoxious presenter and during the video even when he was quiet he was breathing so much.. maybe they should have muted his mic or something but anyway.

    The immersion of that gametrailers video was incredible minus the parts you described Knox. I too watched it on my ty laptop in a dark room but just seeing the flags move in the wind and the emptyness was amazing, hearing that crowd roaring in the background created this subtle tension and the guards noticing and then giving reason to not inspect the water fountain when it shut off was a very nice detail.

    I really think EM are giving it their all and I am very glad that they listened to the outcry of the shroud because it was so damn distracting in an otherwise beautiful world. The shadow situation is a bit strange as well and there is a crap load of fog but I guess these are all things that will be tweaked for the final version.

    That music was a bit silly as well now thinking about it.
    Yeah, the game is shaping up very nicely

    In the end, even if people don't think it feels like the old Thief games, I don't think that restricts it at all in being a great game in its own right.

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by knox140
    We could request a no-commentary gameplay video, with all HUD turned off and with no focus & minimal swooping during the next Take 5. I'd be perfectly happy just with footage of what we've already seen in the Northcrest Manor level, I can imagine the EM devs don't want to spoil too much gameplay before release.
    Would be nice. I stand by my earlier claim that 'I think I'd actually be in a better mood about the game if it didn't or didn't have to see in videos all the herky-jerky movements, head-butts, the shroud flashes, loot glint beacons, the GUI whoosh sounds, the flashy 'New Objective' and '[You're in the] Northcrest Manor: Storage Cellar > Kitchen > Dining Hall > First Floor' type of messages that whoosh in all the time, the giant whooshy inventory wheel, showy and loud 3P takedowns, achievement pop-ups, saving pop-ups, rope arrow aiming HUD... etc. Too much to name. It's too loud and showy for my Thief tastes of old. Not much subtlety compared to the foundational pillars of yesteryear = '

    So some videos without all that stuff would be heaven-sent for me.

  10. #10
    Me too. It would be a great Christmas present

  11. #11
    For example, pick virtually any Thief: Deadly Shadows gameplay vid without commentary and you can just listen to it peacefully...

    Museum Level - http://youtu.be/nSdYiJfO6Mc
    Overlook Mansion - http://youtu.be/5nWUXVZ9T58?t=2m50s

    Could do the same with any T1/T2 level, too. I just use TDS as an example because I remember following it pre-launch and seeing straight gameplay videos released (no commentary).

    This is pretty cool... YouTuber SpockRMC sits quietly in TDS levels so you can enjoy the music:
    I went through the best parts of each level of Thief Deadly Shadows and recorded the background music. I realize that there is an Official Soundtrack, but I found it to be really jarring. It also had little focus on my favorite parts. I hope this will be a good alternative
    For example:
    * Auldale - http://youtu.be/eszhmj6vbCo
    * Lady Elizabeth's Chambers - http://youtu.be/WUIIbeFewTk
    * Old Quarter - http://youtu.be/aqyc-PWGzpo
    * Rutherford Castle - http://youtu.be/xu7P75ezdrw
    * South Quarter - http://youtu.be/M6JhPidoZ3I
    * Wieldstrom Museum - http://youtu.be/gSnaJaV435E
    * Overlook Mansion Entrance - http://youtu.be/gSnaJaV435E

  12. #12
    Aahh Thief music so wondeful

    The ambience in Old Quarter is my favourite.
    Question: What is a console? Answer: It´s an unupgradable PC

  13. #13
    On the topic of "guards have seen you" music, there's a game called Overgrowth that's being created by Wolfire Games right now. They had a blog post a while back about how they handled this sort of thing, and it sounded really good to me.

    Essentially, it boils down to only starting the "action" music when the player actually looks at the enemy that's seen them, or when they get attacked from behind. Makes sense, right? That way, the music isn't a warning like in most games, but it still exists to add to the atmosphere/energy of a fight or getaway.

  14. #14
    That's a step in the right direction, but I'd still find it annoying...

  15. #15
    It's not so much the fact that it comes on whenever you've been seen, it's just the fact it's there at all... It reminds you you're playing a video game. The music they had in the originals was subtle and atmospheric, and added to the immersion instead of taking away from it.

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by knox140
    It's not so much the fact that it comes on whenever you've been seen, it's just the fact it's there at all... It reminds you you're playing a video game. The music they had in the originals was subtle and atmospheric, and added to the immersion instead of taking away from it.
    They had not music in it's classical understanding at all.

  17. #17
    Has anyone managed to find more pure gameplay footage? So far there is only that Gametrailers link that has only game footage.

    I'm trying to submerse myself into the world to see what it's like but it's very hard when they keep cutting away to interviewers/interviewees.

    If anyone has more gameplay only footage I would really appreciate it, thanks!

  18. #18
    "Hold R1 to perform takedown."

    Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

  19. #19
    Game comes out in a little over a month and there's barely any gameplay footage still. That's because they're worried about the reactions it will garner. Still nothing but bad signs.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

  20. #20
    Fair enough, I suppose, considering the reaction the last proper gameplay footage had:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acAxcAEKcOg

    Although I really DO want to see some gameplay in the game's final state before I preorder.

  21. #21
    Originally Posted by Shralla
    Game comes out in a little over a month and there's barely any gameplay footage still. That's because they're worried about the reactions it will garner. Still nothing but bad signs.
    Maybe if they released a gameplay video without annoying commentary, focus mode, contextual takedowns, button prompts, and the cluttered UI, and just showed classic Thief gameplay they'd get better reactions. Since they claim they're trying to respect the franchise as much as possible, that's the least they could do. That is unless, they simply aren't confident enough in their product even with these features disabled, then we have a different issue here.

  22. #22
    I asked if there will be more gameplay on the Facebook page (people seem to get direct responses there) and they said:

    Of course! We have tons more gameplay footage to show before the game launches in February.
    So we should be seeing more soon.

  23. #23
    Excellent. Wonder if it will be commentary-less straight gameplay, given to the general public. Or will it be filtered second-hand snippets and flashes through even more game expos, conferencs and media interviews/stories.

    They say, "Of course!," but nothing has been a given or obvious with this release, imo

    Time will tell

  24. #24
    They stated at VGX that there would be 15 minutes of new footage, but all we got was 10 seconds of actual gameplay during an interview, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's all we'll be getting until launch. I hope I'm wrong though.

  25. #25
    I doubt it will be commentary-less... because they wouldn't want to have people being morons and asking obvious questions that could be avoided if they narrate everything. (i.e. "focus looks so stupid!!111!! You guys should have made it optional!!111!")

    But Eidos Montreal, if you read this, a lot of people would really appreciate if you record the commentary and the gameplay separately and upload a video WITHOUT commentary as well as one with it. That is if the videos you are planning to upload are the ones that show a section of the game rather than cutaways during interviews. Commentary-less gameplay videos actually give a much better impression of the game than gameplay with devs talking over it about things most of us know already. It is much easier to get immersed in what you are showing and really feel the game's ambiance. The E3 demo is a perfect example of that- the only un-narrated video was the one that got me most excited, even though it was the only one which showcases the awful suspicion music (which I think is gone now, in that German Lockdown preview, some guy got suspicious but no music played), just because I really felt the atmosphere and immersion.

    Personally, I would really like to see the House of Blossoms level that got shown to the press ages ago.

    EDIT: In fact, I'll tell them this through the FB page, they're more likely to see it there than here.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last