Page 3 of 11 First First 1234567 ... Last

Thread: Official Thief Soundtrack / Music / Composer - Luc St.Pierre - NEW "Firequake" ?

Official Thief Soundtrack / Music / Composer - Luc St.Pierre - NEW "Firequake" ?

Originally Posted by Statue
    Sorry, but I completly disagree. Ever heard the soundtrack of "The Sword"? Or "Assasins"?
    Of course I agree. TDP was the original masterwork by Brosius. I can't even believe there's an argument about this.

Music makes the people come together
    Music mixes the bourgeoisie and the rebel ...
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Viktoria

Music makes the people come together
    Music mixes the bourgeoisie and the rebel ...
    But I like no lyrics, when message is nil
    I hate all DJs, they're makin' me ill
    Whatever they tell us, is meant to be crap
    I hate all music, and especially rap.

I like talking dirty
    I smoke and I drink

We all know music is very important for the immersion.
    Mr Luc St.Pierre please don´t disappoint us.

Yeah, I can't wait to hear more of Luc's work.
    I keep checking his website too.
    signature image

Ambient Sounds

From the previews, I have to say that the environments of this game look incredible graphically. I was wondering if anybody could talk at all about the soundscape of Thief, which was one of the truly memorable aspects of the Looking Glass games. If there's any dev talking about the ambient sounds for different environments, I'd be really interested.

Also, I know it's a small thing, but will Thief emit random, barely audible, spooky noises? Or will I have to get someone to play the triangle, organ, wind chimes, and rattling chains behind me while I play Thief, in a half-derelict foundry, preferably haunted.

Paul Weir was working on the new Thief, four or five years ago. Gave a "Stealing Sound" presentation at a Game Developer Conference (GDC) 2011. He talked about a generative audio system they were planning to use called "GRAMPS," to dynamically create ambient background soundscapes on-the-fly. Would be different every time you played, theoretically.

Here's a PDF:
    http://ebookbrowsee.net/paul-weir-st...ppt-d383000438

The audio of his GDC presentation is here, where you can hear GRAMPS being used a few times: http://youtu.be/6rNbmwn-pTQ

Weir "completed his work" on the project a couple years ago, so we don't know what has happened since then. (Except for what you can hear in gameplay demos.) We haven't really heard anything about the sound for a few years, except that the devs said this month sound Is very important for a Thief game. We don't know if GRAMPS is creating dynamic audio on-the-fly for the finished game, or not. Don't know if it was used to create whatever ambients are in the game, or not. (No confirmation.)

For random noises, you can try listening to gameplay videos without any commentary and see what you hear. I haven't personally gone over the audio with a fine-toothed comb to know what exists for random, barely audible, spooky noises. See first post in this thread- http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=140697

Personally, I hope there are no prominent sounds like
    in TDS'
    level where there are no true sources for the audio. Otherwise, it just sounds like a haunted house with spooky noises coming from a speaker behind the wall. (I know that's not what you're referring to, but just wanted to say.)

The ambient sound of betrayal of what this game was originally about, perhaps. Or if not, should have been.

Thanks. It's most present in the third video. I really like how you can hear to rain pattering against the roof, coming from above, when you're inside. That's a nice touch.
    And it does sound like it. The game starts a dread-enduing drone when he slips behind that guard, for instance.

I meant cities aren't completely silent, even at night. Creaking buildings, bird calls, far off voices, they can make the environment seem real. Remember how in caverns you could hear distant water drops or wind, or distant clanking in Mechanist compounds, but the pagan levels were super spooky. But also, for setting a tone, this is what Thief sounded like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEQAJwbEzAU

As for actual game-play audio, you know, Thief had a lot of schizophrenic enemies, who would constantly talk to themselves as they wandered- the murmuring of the pagan creatures, or the clockworks droning on about Karras were particularly spooky. I liked how you had to listen very carefully in the originals, to pick up the sounds of something approaching from the susurrus of the background. They made sure listening was really important, and also that whatever you were listening to was also really unsettling.

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger
    The ambient sound of betrayal of what this game was originally about, perhaps. Or if not, should have been.
    The mission from Thief 2X? because that did have surprisingly good audio.

I like the rain pattering on roof sound, too. I don't like the contextual drone when approaching the guard, though, as I don't like any contextual music/ambients that are triggered by player actions or AI alert status.

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    I like the rain pattering on roof sound, too. I don't like the contextual drone when approaching the guard, though, as I don't like any contextual music/ambients that are triggered by player actions or AI alert status.
    I have to agree with you. That kind of thing feels very contrived, and takes you out of the deeper experience.

Exactly.

I'm immersed in this world... I'm immersed in this world... *dramatic contextual music plays* ... oh, I'm playing a video game.

when the game is out in a few weeks, i try to upload the original audio from the Out of the Shadows trailer by Paul Weir!

Originally Posted by Domey
    when the game is out in a few weeks, i try to upload the original audio from the Out of the Shadows trailer by Paul Weir!
    If you could do that, we would all appreciate it very much, Domey! However, it might be a good idea to ask Paul about it first, seeing how he asked you not to share it in the first place.
    "When the progress of time ceases, the evil one will be pointed out for all to see."

Originally Posted by Verrenus
    If you could do that, we would all appreciate it very much, Domey! However, it might be a good idea to ask Paul about it first, seeing how he asked you not to share it in the first place.
    of course i will ask him

I'm surprised Paul Weir would entrust something like that to a random stranger.

Conclusion: Domey isn't a random stranger.

I'm surprised Paul Weir would entrust something like that to a random stranger.

Conclusion: Domey isn't a random stranger.
    Or a liar... We have no proof of his claims. Its not the first time someone has lied online for attention.
    signature image

Originally Posted by garryengly
    Or a liar... We have no proof of his claims. Its not the first time someone has lied online for attention.
    I know, but i can't proof it. I promised Paul not sharing the audio.
    Freyja also sent me a message today that I'm not allowed to share the file, not even when the game is out.

Freyja also sent me a message today that I'm not allowed to share the file, not even when the game is out.
    Seems like Mr Weir didn't get the same memo.

Seems like Mr Weir didn't get the same memo.
    i don't get it

Eh... I doubt this guy would risk his career just to share music with one fan. If he really did send you that he would be facing legal action as he obviously signed an NDA with Eidos Montreal and in addition other game companies would steer clear of him because he will just give out confidential information/media to any joe blow who emails him.

The whole thing just seems quite odd and doesn't add up.
    signature image

You know how concept art is extra content in vid games, I hope this track is released as such. Otherwise, is a shame the track may forever be lost. Paul should have some right to show the world what he has done, if nothing else than for resume purposes. (Not that he personally needs more to his solid resume... but for any artist's creations.)

FYI, Luc has updated his website with photos and other media:
    http://www.lucstpierremusic.com/
    signature image

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    You know how concept art is extra content in vid games, I hope this track is released as such. Otherwise, is a shame the track may forever be lost. Paul should have some right to show the world what he has done, if nothing else than for resume purposes. (Not that he personally needs more to his solid resume... but for any artist's creations.)
    I would love to hear that track. It's a shame that he isn't the composer for the game.

He will be sorely missed.

Do we know his music isn't in the game?
    Only he's advertising that it is on his official site:

Our current major project, led by Earcom's Paul Weir, is creating all of the audio for Eidos Montreal's new Thief game, including the sound design, music and audio direction. Previous Thief games have been benchmark titles for the quality of their audio and we hope to continue this tradition with ambitious plans for this exciting AAA title.
    http://www.earcom.net/
    signature image

Page 3 of 11 First First 1234567 ... Last