Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... Last

Thread: Stealing Time Episode 4 - UI and Gameplay Customization

Stealing Time Episode 4 - UI and Gameplay Customization

Stealing Time Episode 4 - UI and Gameplay Customization

It's here!

Thank you all for your questions, I hope you will find the answers you seek. Big thanks also to Alexandre, who took time off from an insane schedule to chat with me and bear with all the technical issues.

I think this update will give us all a lot to chew on... Discuss!

__

**Moderator Update** 10 December

UI Fonts/Styles
    Originally Posted by Freyja
    The UI fonts and style are indeed final. Clean, flat and modern is what we were going for.

Wow. I'm really impressed with how much you can customise!!!
    Thanks, EM. You rock.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

So... the shroud isn't optional?

Very cool! But I don't think they answered if Shroud can be turned on/off

Could someone please verify that we can turn off the screen shroud please

Holy . That's more UI customization and difficulty modifiers than I thought would be there.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Alex does touch on the shroud, saying that it's part of an integrated system of full-screen effects that are there to provide feedback when other elements of the UI are turned off, along with red flashes when you get hit and white flashes when you enter light. So no, it cannot be removed.

:O Those difficulty options are awesome!

Alex does touch on the shroud, saying that it's part of an integrated system of full-screen effects that are there to provide feedback when other elements of the UI are turned off, along with red flashes when you get hit and white flashes when you enter light. So no, it cannot be removed.
    Compared to the E3 footage has the intensity been reduced? Because my main problem was just that it took over the majority of the screen and made it hard to look around in game.

Also thank you for doing this and thank you for responding to my questions You did a good job on the podcast!

About to listen now, but a compromise would've been (which I think many taffers, ideally, wanted):
    - Be able to turn shroud off, yet keep the visibility gem enabled... and make it a gem that works the way it did in the earlier games. It's too bad the shroud was made a big integrated system of full-screen effects. Sounds like overkill for a lot of taffers who just simply wanted to have a gem that detects the amount of light they are in, coupled with if they are carrying a fire arrow or sword type of weapon that increases visibility a bit. Being able to read AI's minds with the shroud is not really something I look forward to, if I interpreted the earlier podcast correctly in that it also reflects the AI alert status and if they're looking at you, etc.

I've always thought the blinding white flash is a bigger problem than the shroud. It's a shame that it can't be turned off.

There's a lot of great customization here. I'll pretty much be removing everything except Object Highlighting and the Light Gem. Maybe those too.

It's cool that they confirm we can do 1st person takedowns. But is disappointing that I can't disable that horrible, horrible (yes over-dramatic) flash. They said it's for realism and immersion, and to clearly mark when you're in the light, but I think it does the exact opposite. Oh well.

Who's going to be the first person to complete the game on the hardest difficulty setting AND Ironman it??

PLEEEAAASEEEEE.... make a customisation that allows you to separate the light gem from the focus bars and move it to somewhere else on the screen....

I reeeeeeeeally want to see the light gem in the middle at the bottom, There was a reason why it was there in the original games and since I'll be playing with the daft shroud effect off I really want the light gem in the middle at the bottom

PLLLLEEEEAAASEEEEE put this in as a customisation... even if it's PC only and you are allowed to put in an X/Y coord in an ini file

Edit: .... how long before someone in the nugamer fraternity complains there's "too many" options *sigh*

Kudos to Valerie Bourdeau for getting this out ASAP (before the end of the week)

Originally Posted by garryengly
    Compared to the E3 footage has the intensity been reduced? Because my main problem was just that it took over the majority of the screen and made it hard to look around in game.

Also thank you for doing this and thank you for responding to my questions :) You did a good job on the podcast! :thumb:
    The shroud has been scaled down A LOT:

So this is what it was like back at E3:

And this is what it's like in the City gameplay- assuming he's in the same light levels (based on the light gem)

More specifically I think the custom difficulty on my first playthrough will be:
    * Hard Difficulty
    * Everything off except:
    * Light gem
    * Object highlight
    * Ammo counter (fade over time)

* No Focus: the use of Focus is completely disabled and no Focus Points are earned.
    * Stealth Takedowns Only: you cannot perform combat Takedowns and Takedowns from above.
    * No Reticle: no aiming reticle is displayed when drawing the bow.
    * Specialty Arrows Only: only Blunt, Water, Fire and Rope Arrows are available.
    * No Resources: food (health) and poppy flowers (Focus) are not consumable.
    * Expensive Tools: the cost of arrows, tools, food and poppies is greatly increased.
    * No Kills or Knockouts: if a human or animal is killed or stunned, the mission is failed.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment but not completely crazy...

What will everyone else be doing for their first playthrough?

* No Upgrades: non-critical upgrades are disabled.
    And what do we think the critical upgrades are? I assume it's something along the lines of the lockpicks becoming available in the earlier games, but the ratchet and wire-cutter don't seem to be critical. Any ideas?

Also, sorry for the excessive posts.

Wow lots and lots of options!!!.Plus I think if anyone was wondering if there will be Burrick heads in The Crippled Burrick pub you can see at least three heads in the first picture.
    signature image
    I am the shadow on the wall.

I know some of you were not sold on the early iteration of the shroud that was shown at E3, but I just want to note that more recent screenshots, including those in my GIFs here, are taken with full on shroud effect. As Knox pointed out, it's a lot less present than it once was!

I think this will be my first playthrough:

I will NOT use:

Navigation prompts
    * Interaction prompts
    * Waypoint markers
    * Threat icons
    * Threat health meters
    * Mini-map
    * Mini-map rotation
    * Loot glint
    * Lockpick helper
    * Frame search helper
    * Garrett narrated hints

(All the meters will be "fade over time")

As for mods, I won't use focus.

Oh wow, it's WAY more subtle in that gif. I wouldn't even have noticed if you didn't confirm it was there. I like it a lot.

I am astounded at the level of customization. I guess my expectations were lower than I realized. Bravo, EM - bravo.

The shroud has been tweaked to hell and back by the looks of it - it's enabled in that second UI demo shot: barely noticeable, only at the corners of the screen. Been that way for a while I think - all the latest footage has the same effect, and I haven't really noticed it until the second or third viewing. Don't think it'll bother me much at all (though I would prefer just the lightgem instead. Funny how they say it's the most iconic part of the UI, and then go out of their way to tell us it's optional...)

The white flash is still the big problem, but I also haven't noticed that in any of the latest footage until I rewatched. Seems like it's been likewise relegated to the corners of the screen.

I'm sure some crafty person will find a way to tweak the ini file or something to remove it, but until then it doesn't seem to be the deal-breaker it was before.

Hey Freyja, Garrett's hands aren't visible in your 'Loot' gif. Is that intentional? Are his hands not around at all times any more?

Thank you for the podcast, Freyja!

While I love having all of these options to customise my gameplay experience and also that the shroud is much, much more subtle than in the E3 demo, I am a bit disappointed that the retina-searing white light is still there. Has that been tweaked as well, since it was way too intrusive the last time I saw it?

It makes me wonder why is there a light gem in the game in the first place, if the shroud/sun flare combination do all of the visibility work? Doesn't it render the gem moot, especially since it's really tiny and tucked away in a corner?
    "When the progress of time ceases, the evil one will be pointed out for all to see."

Originally Posted by scumm
    Hey Freyja, Garrett's hands aren't visible in your 'Loot' gif. Is that intentional? Are his hands not around at all times any more?
    His hands were never around "all the time"... This ain't Doom, son! You only see them when crouching or when there's a reason to see them, like pickpocketing or leaning.

Originally Posted by scumm
    They never were around at all times afaik, they only show when you are in a crouching/sneaking position.
    EDIT: Freyja beat me to it. Taffer!
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

His hands were never around "all the time"... This ain't Doom, son! You only see them when crouching or when there's a reason to see them, like pickpocketing or leaning.
    That sounds great. I guess I never really noticed, but it seemed that they were just always out in other photos. I may be remembering wrong, but I like your answer regardless.

Thanks!

Wow, I didn't know that! Thief just keeps getting better and better.

Thank you for taking our feedback into account, I for one really appreciate it!
    "When the progress of time ceases, the evil one will be pointed out for all to see."

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... Last