Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: SuperNatural Element

  1. #1

    SuperNatural Element

    So were you satisfied with the SuperNatural element in TR2013 ?!, I'll be honest, to a degree I was, but I was also craving for more.

    My main problem is the time, we get introduced to the SuperNatural element after 50% or something from the story, but we don't get to fight them till the last 20%, which is a huge shame.

    Personally speaking I want the SuperNatural element to take a stronger front, throw them at us early, make them more varied, harder than the regular enemies, more challenging, more terrifying, .........etc, heck put us in desperate situation where escaping/running if the only way out, and most importantly introduce some SuperNatural bosses, I can't believe how TR2013 miss on that, boss battles in my book is a huge plus and adds alot to the game.

    But hey, that's my opinion, what do you think/want ?!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    I think it was alright in TR9, but like you said - it could've been more. Maybe a few hard battles with the oni.

    The scene where Lara has to sneak past the oni was quite tense and I liked that. I wouldn't have mind seeing more of that

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    6,497
    was fine for me. made sense to me that they came out more towards the end. kept the tension thinking about when will we really see them all.
    i personally prefer more human then supernatural enemies.
    signature image

  4. #4
    Sam and Dean! Yes Yes Yes!

    oh not that kind of Supernatural

    I thought it was the perfect amount in TR9 but now Lara's more open minded maybe there'll be more supernatural stuff in sequel
    signature image

  5. #5
    You've got to safe the best for last, as the old saying goes. Introducing the samourai zombies only at the end was a smart artistic choice in my opinion; if they were to appear throughout the game they would lose their specialness - you know their mystique and the sense that they are more formidable foes than the humans. They should not become regular enemies; that is what the regular humans are for...

    This is one of the things that I think was a very good artistic decision and it gives me a lot of confidence in the team of Crystal Dynamics; they clearly know what they're doing...

  6. #6
    @ Driber: that scene was really good.

    @ Metalrocks: fair enough

    @ pomeranianpuppy: someone gets me , Sam and Dean should totally make it into a video game or something.

    @ Jurre: I totally get where you are coming from, but that problem could be avoided by introducing new enemy types --the supernatural type-- rather than having only one type of them, same goes for boss fights.

  7. #7
    well, I was hoping to see monsters they've revealed at the very beginning. Like these here


    I believe those are really cool and interesting.
    So I hope we will see more of them in the next game. I hate human enemies, they are boring imo.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Marylinfill View Post
    well, I was hoping to see monsters they've revealed at the very beginning. Like these here


    I believe those are really cool and interesting.
    So I hope we will see more of them in the next game. I hate human enemies, they are boring imo.
    Those enemies would have been so AWESOME, no need to limit it to only one supernatural kind of enemy.

  9. #9
    Getting to fight Himiko would've been a great boss fight
    signature image

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by pomeranianpuppy View Post
    Getting to fight Himiko would've been a great boss fight
    Well, it depends on how to direct this fight anyway

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,400
    Quote Originally Posted by pomeranianpuppy View Post
    Getting to fight Himiko would've been a great boss fight
    That's what I keep saying.
    signature image

  12. #12
    yeah a shame we couldn't fight Himiko, heck even if Himiko is so powerful, it could have been explained as she was not at her full power due to the soul transfer or something.

  13. #13
    I like it that Himiko was kinda like Sauron; a powerful antagonist but more in a immaterial kind of way than a giant brawling monstrosity.

    I would have liked it though if there were also samourai guardians on horseback like in that picture. During the big oni battle I could picture a final attack wave of oni cavalry charging the field after the infantry and archers had been dealt with...

  14. #14
    Maybe Himiko could've used her weather controlling power to stike lightening bolts at Lara

    I remember when I saw the ghost hunter challenge I thought that meant evil spirits were gonna jump out of the forest at Lara but it turned out to be just finding and breaking totems
    signature image

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    You've got to safe the best for last, as the old saying goes. Introducing the samourai zombies only at the end was a smart artistic choice in my opinion; if they were to appear throughout the game they would lose their specialness - you know their mystique and the sense that they are more formidable foes than the humans. They should not become regular enemies; that is what the regular humans are for...

    This is one of the things that I think was a very good artistic decision and it gives me a lot of confidence in the team of Crystal Dynamics; they clearly know what they're doing...
    Exactly! In a lot of games they throw so many enemies at you all the time that the supernatural element evaporates quickly and it becomes a cartoon show, to put it roughly. I thought it was perfect how it was done in TR9. The Oni first came when I was least expecting them, by then I thought this game was about human enemies and bam! out of nowhere came the ghosts. Still, they kept it reserved and just reminding the player that they are there without having an outright combat with them until the very last. Some very smart moves CD, would love more like those in the next TR..

  16. #16
    Don't hit me, but I would love to play the original version of TR that hasn't been released... so many monsters, mystery and miracles...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbJjcBC2rnc

  17. #17
    I would have liked to fight more supernatural enemies, like ghosts, demons, ninjas, zombies, or pirates, fighting all the crazy fisherman kinda got old after awhile.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by pomeranianpuppy View Post
    Maybe Himiko could've used her weather controlling power to stike lightening bolts at Lara

    I remember when I saw the ghost hunter challenge I thought that meant evil spirits were gonna jump out of the forest at Lara but it turned out to be just finding and breaking totems
    I thought so too.

    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    I would have liked to fight more supernatural enemies, like ghosts, demons, ninjas, zombies, or pirates, fighting all the crazy fisherman kinda got old after awhile.
    Ninjas and Pirates are not supernatural, they are real
    I'd love to fight them non the less, especially Ninjas, I just LOVE ninjas.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,542
    I think they did the right thing, holding off on the supernatural elements. Keep in mind that this is Lara just starting out, we begin with a very frightened girl who is completely out of her element when she first arrives. She has to be built up, to develop her capabilities in a natural progression, for what someone at various stages can reasonably cope with.

    So first it's just learning to endure the environment and the elements. Then it's surviving the natural predators. Then defending against the more ruthless human threats. Only after one has been able to master these levels of dangers can they then expect to tackle the unknowable threats of forces beyond the normal scope.

    I mean seriously, if you drop an inexperienced girl and right away say, "OK, now go and fight these monsters that came out of your worst nightmares", anyone just starting out would be paralyzed and likely go insane before being torn apart by the horrors.
    signature image

  20. #20
    ^^ That's true, yet introducing the Oni early could have honed her skills better, especially if they were much stronger, so she would have been pushed to the very limits to survive, maybe a couple of escape options as well incase Lara feels she can't really win the fight.

    Your last line kinda reminds me 'Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of The Earth', I loved that game.

  21. #21
    In my opinion sending Lara to destroy hundreds of fully armed men is even more unrealistic than supernature version. Nice "beginning" for a young girl, I say =) What's next, OMG? Atom bombs, thousands of orcs, Lara VS Devil? Just kidding =) I hope the next TR will be more believable anyway.

  22. #22
    Starting out or not, I think supernatural elements should never be too abundant because when they are they become too commonplace and lose their mystique, and the game will lose it's touch with the real world. The same I think goes for things that may not be supernatural but are extraordinary in some other way.

    You know how in TR Underworld Lara stumbles upon a dead zombie yeti. She doesn't look the least bit surprised and starts to analyse the thing in a bored monotone voice. HELLO! There's a dead zombie yeti next to you, how about a little acknowledgement of this highly unusual situation??

    But then again, she had come across a whole lot more fantastical things at that point so it wasn't all that special to her anymore. A dead zombie yeti, it's like another day at the office. That is why it was such a good idea to let that incarnation of Lara retire.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_kain View Post
    ^^ That's true, yet introducing the Oni early could have honed her skills better, especially if they were much stronger, so she would have been pushed to the very limits to survive, maybe a couple of escape options as well incase Lara feels she can't really win the fight.
    whaaaaaaaaaaat??? You can't be serious

    That's like saying a knight in early training can take on a dragon to hone his skills when he still hasn't beaten the lowest ranking knight.

    Or a body builder with only 2 weeks experience is going to go right to 200lb barbell bench press to build muscle.

    How about having a 130 lb boxer go up against MIKE TYSON for his 3rd bout? That ought to develop his skills in only 1/10 the time, right?

    You get my meaning? It's one thing to challenge someone that pushes their boundaries and makes them grow beyond them. But it still has to happen within reason, setting challenges that matches their stage of development. Too much too soon just crushes a person with no chance of overcoming it.
    signature image

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    6,497
    what adobe said.
    taking things one step at a time. plus, its also a training for the player as well. suddenly fighting off these creatures??? now thats cheap and very odd to have them at the beginning of the game.
    lara was also surprised to see these creatures alive. now imagine lara fighting off this huge creature after being captured by one of them and hanging over several dead bodies. hat would have been very unbelievable.
    signature image

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    whaaaaaaaaaaat??? You can't be serious

    That's like saying a knight in early training can take on a dragon to hone his skills when he still hasn't beaten the lowest ranking knight.

    Or a body builder with only 2 weeks experience is going to go right to 200lb barbell bench press to build muscle.

    How about having a 130 lb boxer go up against MIKE TYSON for his 3rd bout? That ought to develop his skills in only 1/10 the time, right?

    You get my meaning? It's one thing to challenge someone that pushes their boundaries and makes them grow beyond them. But it still has to happen within reason, setting challenges that matches their stage of development. Too much too soon just crushes a person with no chance of overcoming it.
    haha come on, let's leave real life out of the equation, this is a game after all, so progress is much much different

    what you are saying makes sense in real life, in a video game we have the liberty to break that, I am not saying put Lara against monsters from the first minute, but 50% in the game ?!, that was pretty long enough, by the 75% mark they lost all kinds of being dangerous, they were easy to kill and not really challenging, Lara wasn't put through hell fighting them, meanwhile if they'd have been introduced early, It could have been a different story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •