Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: What happened to Japan?

What happened to Japan?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    10

    What happened to Japan?

    Seriously... the only trace of Japan that I saw in DX:HR was at the beginning where a camera lens had "Made in Japan" engraved on it. You would think the country known to be the most technologically advanced would have played more a part than they did. Are they on the verge of sinking? In 2025, have the Japanese almost gone extinct due to not reproducing enough?

    What happened to Japan?

  2. #2
    tokyo hub would be cool in dx4

  3. #3
    No idea, but it wasn't in the original DX, either. Just US, China & Paris (iirc, been a while since my last play through...must remedy that).

  4. #4
    What happened to Idaho? They still got potatoes?
    Wings melt and we hide
    And all this means nothing to the sun

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Mythical City on the Hill
    Posts
    3,671
    They have a corporation called Kusanagi if I recall...

    (Japan, not Idaho)

    (click image to enlarge)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,270
    from the Deus Ex Continuity Bible: http://www.nanoaugur.net/dx/bible/

    Japan is only now pulling out of a depression that began with the collapse of its economy at the turn of the century. However, the fierce independence of the Japanese allowed them to put off Majestic 12 overtures and resist conspiratorial pressures. Japan remains independent though, sadly, not much of a factor in world affairs. The conspiracy continues to make overtures, but to no avail. It remains to be seen whether Japan can remain independent and emerge as a world power once again.

    Hmm, okay. So how about Asia? Anything interesting happen over there?
    Well, it finally happened: India and Pakistan fired nukes at each other. It was this combined with the collapse of India's economy that made them join China. Quite simply, India needed the money; they were the ones hit hardest by the plagues, and they simply had no choice but to join China if they wanted to survive the diseases. Other countries in Southeast Asia gave in as well, trading their freedom for medical supplies. China, under the control of MJ12, was essentially untouched by the events of the rest of the world and, after finally pulling its act together, managed to become the major world power. However, it still cannot control its own cities.

    Hong Kong remains free, and even though the forces of both the Chinese Government and MJ12 are against them, they remain free to pursue business ventures of all manner of illegalness. Japan is still pulling out of an economic crash and, though free of MJ12, is fairly useless.

    Russia is, like South America, controlled by crime bosses, not MJ12. They are too fragmented to launch an organized attack on anyone, but with the help of Mexico, they were able to launch a semi-successful disorganized attack on Texas, one of the most divided states in the US.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    10
    Originally Posted by kud13
    from the Deus Ex Continuity Bible: http://www.nanoaugur.net/dx/bible/

    Japan is only now pulling out of a depression that began with the collapse of its economy at the turn of the century. However, the fierce independence of the Japanese allowed them to put off Majestic 12 overtures and resist conspiratorial pressures. Japan remains independent though, sadly, not much of a factor in world affairs. The conspiracy continues to make overtures, but to no avail. It remains to be seen whether Japan can remain independent and emerge as a world power once again.

    Hmm, okay. So how about Asia? Anything interesting happen over there?
    Well, it finally happened: India and Pakistan fired nukes at each other. It was this combined with the collapse of India's economy that made them join China. Quite simply, India needed the money; they were the ones hit hardest by the plagues, and they simply had no choice but to join China if they wanted to survive the diseases. Other countries in Southeast Asia gave in as well, trading their freedom for medical supplies. China, under the control of MJ12, was essentially untouched by the events of the rest of the world and, after finally pulling its act together, managed to become the major world power. However, it still cannot control its own cities.

    Hong Kong remains free, and even though the forces of both the Chinese Government and MJ12 are against them, they remain free to pursue business ventures of all manner of illegalness. Japan is still pulling out of an economic crash and, though free of MJ12, is fairly useless.

    Russia is, like South America, controlled by crime bosses, not MJ12. They are too fragmented to launch an organized attack on anyone, but with the help of Mexico, they were able to launch a semi-successful disorganized attack on Texas, one of the most divided states in the US.
    So, according to what the Deus Ex Bible states, Japan is the only country that truly retained its independence (not run by MJ12 or criminal bosses; not being pressured by MJ12/the Chinese Government, like Hong Kong), civility, and unity (unlike America, Japan stayed united and didn't branch out into city-states, based on what the DX Bible states). In the end, Japan didn't really win (highly influential superpower, like China) or lose (controlled by MJ12, like China), amirite?

    I think it would be cool to visit Japan, with it being one of the only truly independent nations left.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,198
    Originally Posted by spliph
    So, according to what the Deus Ex Bible states, Japan is the only country that truly retained its independence (not run by MJ12 or criminal bosses; not being pressured by MJ12/the Chinese Government, like Hong Kong), civility, and unity (unlike America, Japan stayed united and didn't branch out into city-states, based on what the DX Bible states). In the end, Japan didn't really win (highly influential superpower, like China) or lose (controlled by MJ12, like China), amirite?

    I think it would be cool to visit Japan, with it being one of the only truly independent nations left.
    It's not professionally-made and certainly has some flaws, but the RedSun2020 mod for DX1 was set exclusively in Japan. And, for what it's worth, if we ever get a chance to mod a new DX title, my own mod story will feature a significant amount of missions in Japan as well.

    But seriously, there is nothing more cyberpunk than Tokyo. Yakuza, neon jungles, super hi-tech, Harajuku girls, all of it is essential to the cyberpunk aesthetic. I'm kinda shocked we haven't seen a mission set there in three (four, counting The Fall, if you must) Deus Ex releases.

  9. #9
    Not really. Japan has the cyber(the high tech) but it doesn't have the punk (the grime, poverty, wealth inequality etc)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,198
    Originally Posted by Dr Savage
    Not really. Japan has the cyber(the high tech) but it doesn't have the punk (the grime, poverty, wealth inequality etc)
    Ehhh, not really. Per wiki:

    The economic and technological state of Japan in the 80s influenced Cyberpunk literature at the time. Of Japan's influence on the genre, William Gibson said, "Modern Japan simply was cyberpunk."

  11. #11
    Yes Japan of that era, not now. Japan became a very clean sanitized country in the 90's, even in a post-Fukushima world the social decay that is inherent to the genre is gone. Honestly the most Cyberpunk locals of today are places like Brazil, India, South Africa, Venezuela and China.

    Although I guess you could argue that the "loneliness in a crowd" emotional core of cyberpunk is still alive and well in Japan.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,198
    Originally Posted by Dr Savage
    Yes Japan of that era, not now. Japan became a very clean sanitized country in the 90's, even in a post-Fukushima world the social decay that is inherent to the genre is gone. Honestly the most Cyberpunk locals of today are places like Brazil, India, South Africa, Venezuela and China.

    Although I guess you could argue that the "loneliness in a crowd" emotional core of cyberpunk is still alive and well in Japan.
    None of which is to say that the Japan of 2027 or the 2050s would be exactly like the Japan of 2014.

  13. #13
    Well that depends on how you look at it, Deus ex has always veered more towards the sci-fi that's uses the future to extrapolate issues in current society rather than an actual speculative forecast (Spector's game moreso than the others though).

    Fact of the matter though is that Japan is basically written off from the Deus Ex lore and replaced with China (probably due to the fact that cyberpunk fiction is oversaturated with Japanese imagery)

  14. #14
    Japan goes to war over those islands and loses badly despite remilitarization, China invades Japan and overthrows the government, a war of resistence against the Chinese military is raging on.

    That could be an interesting story in the Deus Ex timeline.

  15. #15
    2027 Japan is actually quite a nice holiday destination

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by spliph
    Seriously... the only trace of Japan that I saw in DX:HR was at the beginning where a camera lens had "Made in Japan" engraved on it. You would think the country known to be the most technologically advanced would have played more a part than they did. Are they on the verge of sinking? In 2025, have the Japanese almost gone extinct due to not reproducing enough?

    What happened to Japan?
    Japan, or a large portion of japanese population def. seemed to have been around, lol b/c of the final fantasy poster >.>

    that means theyre in a decent environment to still have game companies develope games lol,

    a realistic future of japan and asian countries is a merge, horrible war/natural catastrophe, they build some super structure like in hengsha, living in underwater/overwater cities, or japan merging w/ an american local

    def. could be an awesome setting in future games,

  17. #17
    I would love some Japan missions. I would love any more Deus Ex missions actually. Remember the good old days of expansions?

    What I really liked about Deus Ex 1 locations, they actually felt like super secret bases and laboratories. HR seemed like lots of hallways...

    How old is this thread. Last year?

  18. #18
    Originally Posted by Mousehunt
    I would love some Japan missions. I would love any more Deus Ex missions actually. Remember the good old days of expansions?

    What I really liked about Deus Ex 1 locations, they actually felt like super secret bases and laboratories. HR seemed like lots of hallways...

    How old is this thread. Last year?

    Man, I gotta make it through DX1, maybe it gets better after Liberty Island? Maybe the third time will the one.

    B/c I feel the fema facility, wasn't a place you were supposed to be, same thing with Tai Yong Medical, or how creepy it was to go to the television station and see it empty(although I doubt they would have had npcs going about, which would be cool like a hitman absolution feeling of crowded environments, nah they wouldnt have done that),

  19. #19
    Originally Posted by Miyavi
    Man, I gotta make it through DX1, maybe it gets better after Liberty Island?
    I find it difficult to believe that you haven't been told that by everybody who's ever played it. Everybody knows that for people who aren't "into" Deus Ex, Liberty Island is a rough start to the game.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

  20. #20
    Originally Posted by Shralla
    I find it difficult to believe that you haven't been told that by everybody who's ever played it. Everybody knows that for people who aren't "into" Deus Ex, Liberty Island is a rough start to the game.
    I actually haven't, lol kinda makes me wanna go just tackle it and maybe I'll enjoy the game.

    Started up an LP for it, but I'm to into HR atm, having an HR crave, watching LP and playing game.

    Funny I was thinking about uploading a video of liberty Island, and trying to explain what I don't like about the mechanics, as I've heard many others talk about the same things.

    Although, I do understand that its due to the technology of the time.

    Love the lore though!

  21. #21
    The technology of the time is meaningless once you get into DX1. The real world falls away like a pale shadow of the real one; Deus Ex.

    10 years later still no one has created a better videogame, they're probably getting worse at it if anything.

    Player Choice is the key word here I think. Deus Ex1 lets you decide, everything.

  22. #22
    the technology of the time.
    The game mechanics were not particularly restricted by the tech: today's engines have not added a whole lot to gameplay potential. Deus Ex is one of the most interactive games of all time whilst modern games emulate movies more than anything, you may or may not have noticed. There was certainly instances of design restricted by tech of course but most of what you have an issue with is likely pure design decisions. Grand design is what it is, you obviously just need a perspective slap, unless you are not specifically talking about game mechanics but the animations and such tied to them.

  23. #23
    We can only pity the poor people Cyber that havn't played DX and broken free of the dull mediocrity of this world.

    Tiny, weak humans.

    Like being unplugged from the Matrix man. It's the lie that's been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth people! Revolt!

  24. #24
    Heh, not sure if sarcastic satire. Deus Ex is *** fantastic and highly relevant, as far as art goes anyway, and I do wish more people would play & understand it, but if art has the ability to "disconnect you from the matrix" then much sci-fi should share credit for this...though maybe Deus Ex is the most informative of all, if you can separate the fact amongst all the fiction.

  25. #25
    Originally Posted by Miyavi
    I actually haven't, lol kinda makes me wanna go just tackle it and maybe I'll enjoy the game.

    Started up an LP for it
    Drop the LP. It will interfere with your thought processes. The game demands your full attention, and it deserves it too.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last