Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider Sequel is ‘Next chapter of Lara’s development’ - Brian Horton

Tomb Raider Sequel is ‘Next chapter of Lara’s development’ - Brian Horton

Earlier this year Square Enix launched the critically acclaimed reboot of the Lara Croft story, Tomb Raider. The first chapter in a new series, it’s no surprise that work has already begun on the sequel, though it seems as though development is moving at a swifter pace than some may be expecting.

At last week’s Bradford Animation Festival (BAF), Brian Horton, Senior Art Director at Crystal Dynamics, gave a presentation discussing the history of Lara Croft and the development of this reboot. Covering everything from the redesign of the character to the processes went through in order to make her a more believable heroine, Horton was clearly proud of what he and his team had created. Following the talk Horton was open to questions from the floor, and the inevitable suggestion of a sequel didn’t take too long to come around.

“We’ve announced the sequel… I’m glad I can finally talk about!” Stated Horton. “The Tomb Raider sequel is the next chapter of [Lara’s] development… her life is changing. She can’t go back to the way she was.”

Horton stated that the team at Crystal Dynamics had worked hard to create techniques and tools that would exist beyond a single videogame, notably stating the development of TressFX with AMD. Horton keenly stated that TressFX was still being worked on and that it was most certainly a ‘next-gen’ technology. Of course, Tomb Raider was infamous suggested to be a disappointment for Square Enix despite remarkable sales, and so when Horton was pressed about the budget for the sequel he was noticeably uncomfortable.

“We don’t talk about our budgets… it’s a well financed game,” stated Horton before admitting: “We’re not spending any more on a sequel than on the original game.”

No release date, platforms or plot details have yet been revealed for the next title in the Tomb Raider franchise, though Horton’s willingness to discuss the project suggest that it is further in development than many might expect. Electronic Theatre will keep you updated with all the latest details on the Tomb Raider videogame franchise.
    Source

"Next chapter of Lara’s development"... uh... figures. What, did anyone think it was gonna be about the life story of her goldfish?

Sorry, that's the cynical me coming out. Thank you very much for sharing, Shaikh.

Nice, keep her character evolving. That was the core attraction of the first game for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    "Next chapter of Lara’s development"... uh... figures. What, did anyone think it was gonna be about the life story of her goldfish?

Sorry, that's the cynical me coming out. Thank you very much for sharing, Shaikh.
    The pleasure was all mine.

I guess he said that because some people might think TR9 was just a prequel and the further games will be like the old ones with a fully evolved Lara Croft or sth like that. ^^
    What if just the stickers are "made in Germany"?
    Deviantart for some TR Renderings... and LaraxSam.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBanes View Post
    I guess he said that because some people might think TR9 was just a prequel and the further games will be like the old ones with a fully evolved Lara Croft or sth like that. ^^
    Good god, hopefully they won't do anything like that..

good. if they would make her just like the older lara in the sequel, it would be really awkward and way to fast. rather take it slowly.
    signature image

I'm wondering about the budget. It kinda sounds like it is "bad". Hope this doesn't affect the game in a negative way.
    But I like the fact that it seems to be further in development than many might expect. ^^ Maybe we will already see a short teaser-trailer at the VGX?
    What if just the stickers are "made in Germany"?
    Deviantart for some TR Renderings... and LaraxSam.

Bwah... It could be that the journalist was just trying to make it sound more dramatic than it was...

The budget can be just 'enough' to produce the sequel...and hope the profits later will be more than good enough for keep on working to next and next games...

I don't wanna think it's bad ... please don't make me think it's bad
    signature image

Its not bad even if the budget allotted for the sequel is less than the original. They'd have had to set up a lot of things for the first time, develop new engine, tech etc, think up the whole story arc and stuff. None of them is required to be done for the sequel. So makes sense fo the sequel budget to be less than the first one's. It is why you see in most franchises the first game takes the longest to develop and then sequels come up like baby rabbits.

Yes indeed, with that in mind an equal budget may even be very plentiful...

This is pretty much what I was expecting/hoping for. It would seem such a disconnect to go from TR'13 Lara to how she was before in the Core games. Which is what I think a few people are expecting: that they've tolerated TR'13 Lara as it's an origin, but now it's time to get back to being bad ass. Thing is, TR'13 Lara is already bad ass!

Looking forward to hearing more.

This silence of CD makes me sad ... hope everything it's going to be ok and they aren't really having that kind of problems ...
    signature image

^Who said they're having problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    ^Who said they're having problems?
    Nope ...I was just hoping that they don't have budget problems ...didn't say they have that probl...
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by MissBrandy View Post
    Nope ...I was just hoping that they don't have budget problems ...didn't say they have that probl...
    Ah, maybe it's just the way you phrased what you said then. It seemed lie you thought they have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    Ah, maybe it's just the way you phrased what you said then. It seemed lie you thought they have problems.
    My 'basic' english
    signature image

well, as long SE doesnt go all cry baby again like a spoiled 8 year old, expecting that it should sell this amount they have expected (was it 5 mill?), we should be fine that CD still can do something beautiful as they did before. especially since they intend to use the tress fx, which i think they try to use now for the next gen consoles. but the pc will win again in this field
    signature image

Is she going to have dual pistols and be a tomb raider in this one? Or is it more origin story? Just wondering because as a fan I really dont care about this origin stuff, that should be like backstory, I want to be an adventurer so skipping TR10 until we get some kind of confirmation she is back to being a Tomb Raider. That backstory stuff could be done in journals, videos, or something. Although it would be fun having missions from like Lara croft being a teen going on adventures like the cartoon did with her gunning down anything in her way, that was fun. the game should be fun :P

Horton said that lara has changed and they cant go back there, good I dont wanna be stuck running around with a bow again not being an adventurer. I felt jipped personally.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    Is she going to have dual pistols and be a tomb raider in this one? Or is it more origin story?
    I am 99% sure that she will have dual pistols and that it is origin story part 2.

Dual pistols are overrated. Bows ftw!

There, I said it *hides behind a large flameshield*

Hey! Double the gun is double the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by pirate1802 View Post
    Dual pistols are overrated. Bows ftw!

There, I said it *hides behind a large flameshield*
    No need to choose, we can have both

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

B..b..but it was an expensive shield! D:

Seriously though, yes we can have and we will most probably have both but I somehow can't get excited to see the dual pistols, probably because the nostalgia of a longterm fan is missing in me. And gameplaywise, without autoaim I can't see them being much interesting, just two pistols instead of one so.. higher firing rate? It would be brilliant if they somehow manage to have the two guns aim separately (which is the point of using two guns afterall) while still maintaining free aim. That would be awesome and make it distinct from other games using dual wielding but currently I'm drawing a blank. I can see separate aiming in special modes like a concentration mode or something where Lara's position is static and the two analog sticks are used to control the two guns but in normal gameplay, can't. Thing with the bow was, it was more fun to use than other bow-oriented games. So unless they make the dual pistols similarly fun to use, I'd be bowing out again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast