Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official forums exclusive dev Q&A session #16 [Answers Live!]

Official forums exclusive dev Q&A session #16 [Answers Live!]

Update Nov 25th: Answers below!

1) MetalRocks: Would you consider Lara having some sort of a "flaw"? Not just temperamental, also physical. Something people don’t like at first sight. Maybe she is a total amateur at something, maybe even some sort of bad side of Lara?

2) Chocolate: We heard a lot about the "pillars" of Exploration, Combat and Traversal that were core to TR, however TR9 was mostly Combat. Is there any move toward a better balance in future games - ie more story based exploration, bigger/more complex puzzles etc? Was it a conscious decision to keep the puzzles on a lower level because it was a reboot so there would be many new fans, and that Lara is not a Tomb Raider yet? If so, can we expect harder puzzles in the future or would we get similar-level puzzles and tombs?

3) DastanMiles: 1. So I have seen this concept art. I don't know if it is an official concept art but it made me wondering why there weren't any female Solarii Lara was fighting against. (I'm actually wondering this a lot, not just in TR, but every standard enemies in almost every game is male.)

4) Michaeljcox24: Can you PLEASE include an option in the next one to turn off camera shake? I can't play the reboot for longer than five minutes without going green.

5) Biggest_Loser: Would you consider designing a Tomb Raider game without any combat and instead focus on survival skills, the physicality of the environment and activities such as cave diving and mountain climbing?

6) TheNarrator: I thought Lara is rather modest? But why did she have an iPhone and Beats headphones in the Turning Point Trailer? I mean, those are like the most expensive of all.

=====================================

Original post:

Welcome to our sixteenth monthly* official TR forums exclusive developer Questions & Answers session!

We're holding one of these Q&A sessions every month* on this forum, where you guys can direct your burning questions to the dev team. During each session, the 5 best questions will be picked out by Meagan and answered by a CrystalD crew member. Just a few conditions:

- Maximum 2 questions per member per Q&A session.

- Read all already answered questions in our official FAQ before posting. We don't want questions which are already answered!

- No off topic in this thread. Only posts containing questions for the devs.

- Post only intelligent, well thought-out questions which are articulate, clear and to the point.

Example...

Good:

I really loved the music in the Turning Point trailer. Will it be the Main Theme of the game?

Bad:

omg omg omg this is awesome thank u guys for doing this im so stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! k my question is about the trailer! I really liked the music in it and its sumthing i listen to often because i play violin and stuff lol so i know u guys maybe dont wanna give too much info away already but i guess what else is the point of this thread, rite? lmao. so pleasssssssssseeeeeee tell me if the music is gonna be the main theme in the game. i sooooooo much loved it and i wanna hear it for all the time when im on the title screen lolololololololol

====================

This session will end on November 15th

=== Forum Q&A session history ===

Session #1 - December 2011
    Session #2 - February 2012
    Session #3 - April 2012
    Session #4 - May 2012
    Session #5 - June 2012 (special E3 ambassador edition)
    Session #6 - July 2012
    Session #7 - August/September 2012
    Session #8 - October 2012
    Session #9 - November 2012
    Session #10 - December 2012
    Session #11 - January 2013
    Session #12 - May 2013
    Session #13 - June 2013
    Session #14 - June/July/August 2013
    Session #15 - September 2013

*Schedules permitting. For example, around Christmas and summer holidays, we may skip a month or span a session across multiple months.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Smile

Thanks Driber, here are my questions

01. Will TR10 atleast have a Profanity Setting, please add one, I dont mind how 18 Rated the Game is, but Please add a Swearing Setting for Lara and the Characters and Villains.

02. Please make Lara in her Classic Gear with Braid and Shoes (Not Biker Boots) and Please make the Classic Manor return.
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...0&postcount=92
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...99&postcount=1

Q#1: With the reboot it seems like you guys waited a good deal of time before bringing a professional writer onto the team, so that this writer was limited by the characters and plot points already in place. Have you already worked with a professional writer during the sequel's pre-production or plan on doing so sooner than last time?

1. will we have any playable flashbacks of lara and sam? to explain their friendship, like how they have met and what they have done?

2. would you consider lara having some sort of a "flaw"? Not just temperamental, also physical. something people dont like at first sight. maybe she is a total amateur at something, maybe even some sort of bad side of lara?
    signature image

These are important questions ( asked by nevillet and pirate1802 in the previous Q/A ) which need to be answered -

1. We heard a lot about the "pillars" of Exploration, Combat and Traversal that were core to TR, however TR9 was mostly Combat. Is there any move toward a better balance in future games - ie more story based exploration, bigger/more complex puzzles etc?

2. The puzzles and tombs of the game were easy. Was it a conscious decision to keep the puzzles on a lower level because it was a reboot so there would be many new fans, and that Lara is not a Tomb Raider yet? If so, can we expect harder puzzles in the future or would we get similar-level puzzles and tombs?

• 1. Will we have to wait until the release of the new comic to know more about the new TR ?

• 2. Like the game will be a Next-Gen game, does that means it's gonna take more time than TR 2013 ?
    signature image

#1 Are there any easter eggs or such, in TR2013 that we still haven't found?
    signature image

My two questions may be a bit long but I think this could be interesting...

1.) You already said that Lara won't have time for a serious relationship, since she's too obsessed with tomb raiding but this doesn't necessarily mean she's not able to have that sort of feelings for someone, does it?

2.) Does Lara have lots of friends beside Sam (that could even play an important role for the sequel) or is she rather a loner (maybe caused by her obsession)?
    In some sort of biography I've read that "Lara and Sam share a feeling of being out of place in the world and they feed on each other’s thirst for adventure." so this actually wouldn't be very surprising since her obsession might not be understandable for everyone. What do you think about this?
    What if just the stickers are "made in Germany"?
    Deviantart for some TR Renderings... and LaraxSam.

This is a question which can't be answered for like... ever, but I want one so I'm going to ask it so that the idea is out there:

1.Will Tomb Raider 10 have a playable demo?

2. Most of Tomb Raider 2013's platforming sequences involved light exploration, most times even optional, through hubs on the island. Are there any plans or desires to implement more mandatory, strategically designed platforming escapades throughout the narrative?

Q#2: Is the next Tomb Raider game going to be a cross-generation title or a true next-generation title?

Alright. I just found out about these Q&As and I thought it's actually pretty cool, so I just created an account here... Hello, everybody!

Anyway, here are mine:

1. So I have seen this concept art. I don't know if it is an official concept art but it made me wondering why there weren't any female Solarii Lara was fighting against. (I'm actually wondering this a lot, not just in TR, but every standard enemie in almost every game is male.)

2. I was also wondering about Lara's scars since she has a lot of them. Will they stay on her body forever? I mean, some of them could fade more than others but I think they are way too important to get ignored just for the better looks. What's your opinion on this?

1. How is it working with MGM as opposed to a more indie environment at GK Films, will we hear news soon?

2. How much say does Crystal have in the movie version of the game?

1) Are Crystal Dynamics looking to integrate new mechanics (e.g. Stealth, hand to hand combat etc) in the next instalment of the Tomb Raider series?
    signature image

Hello! Here is my question. It's a more technical one:

- I noticed the game uses a different (beautiful) lighting tecnique when in cutscenes. Why is that? Wasn't it possible to use the same tecnique/effects ingame, or was it only for cinematic purposes?

Thanks and excuse me if I didn't write something right.

EDIT: - Why does Lara have a bandage in her leg at the beginning of the game?

Lol, that bad example of question in the OP had me rolling

Question 1: With the recent unveiling of AMD's Mantle, and the announcement that Eidos Montréal will be using it, can you tell us if Crystal Dynamics is also planning of using Mantle in its next-gen Tomb Raider games on PC?

Question 2: I don't have one, so yeah. Enjoy your break EDIT: I lied, see mah other question on page 2.

Hello,

1. I appreciate the optimalization for amd cards. Will this or next TR have support for Mantle?
    2. On my old phone i had java version of TR (Osiris codex, Anniversary and Underworld) Are there any plans for Android game?

Anyway, thanks for answers and for a great game. Seriously it's one of the best i've ever played.

Update: This Q&A session will end on November 15th.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Can you PLEASE include an option in the next one to turn off camera shake? I can't play the reboot for longer than five minutes without going green.

questions

1 - Is it possible to do a remake of TR4: the last revelations ?
    2 - Will the next TR contain different types of puzzles (easy, hard) ?

Thanks

Q1. Would you consider designing a Tomb Raider game without any combat and instead focus on survival skills, the physicality of the environment and activities such as cave diving and mountain climbing?

Q2. Do you see the Tomb Raider games of the future being similar to the Uncharted titles (set pieces, cinematics, combat heavy) or would you like the series to be more unique and distinguishable? In what ways will Tomb Raider separate itself from this Uncharted juggernaut?

Question 1: I love Tomb Raider, soon to be Game of the Year. What will Lara Croft do next in the next-gen Tomb Raider 10?

Question 2: Will there be any single-player DLC for #10 soon?

1. Can we see Lara in the sequel with her hair down (just some minutes maybe in a cutscene)?. Fans will be happy for sure to see how she looks in that way.

2. Don't you guys think it's time to give Lara some attraction feelings with somebody? We have 8 previous games where Lara doesn't have any feeling like that, and now that it's suposed to be the reborn with a more young and human Lara ,why not having human feelings as well? Being completelly obsessed with raiding tombs it just sound like she's a robot.
    signature image

#2 With the next comic leading into TR10, how will you ensure that people who don't read the comic don't miss out important story information?
    signature image

Since my one important question from previous Q&A was asked here by Chocolate, I'm free to ask more!

1. Will there be flashbacks to Lara's important past events? I'd love to see her as a five year old dressed in penguin pajamas, for example. Or scenes from Roth's training. Or her and Sam's graduation day.. things like that.

2. Are you guys looking at the post reboot TR games as having a connecting plotline (maybe Trinity?) throughout the course of many games? Or will you be treating different games as essentially separate adventures joined together only by Lara's exploits.

BTW, when can we expect answers to the last Q&A, Driber?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast