Thread: Deus Ex Universe - Lots of Deus Ex games!

Deus Ex Universe - Lots of Deus Ex games!

People what do you want money?I can give you the entire company just forget about that last reactor.

Originally Posted by THC 303
    it was perfectly fine how they did it in HR
    It was OK, still some depth and challenge considering, but localized health is just plain better as it open ups more tactical options, more resource consumption choices, and crippled limbs result in cool and realistic effects...more thought required and more gameplay depth....and DX1's localized health system could do with a makeover, advancements.

Originally Posted by Lucifer
    People what do you want money?I can give you the entire company just forget about that last reactor.
    If I had your power, Bob.....

My take on the health regen in HR is that it sucked.. localised damage or if not at least something like shralla said. The energy meter was also crap, I would prefer something like deus ex you know a bar that depletes and you have to recharge the thing. Keypads if you are given the code via pocket secretary it should not! Display the code on the keypad, make the player memorise it from the pocket secretary before entering it. Finally remove ALL! The third person stuff keep it first person and remove the cover system put in the ability to lean or at least a first person cover system.
    Nicolette: What are you, some sort of an assassin?
    JC Denton: When necessary

Originally Posted by Shralla
    See, there's already a disagreement. I think that the "bubble" system they used for the energy would have been put to much better use as a health system, if they had to get rid of localized damage and have some form of regen.
    What if we just add in localized damage? Maybe localized armor. I think I have a system framed out somewhere.

So, good news and bad news here.

The good: More Deus Ex! And not just one game, several! David Anfossi actually told me at E3 that there were several new Deus Ex games in the works (at least at the planning stage, some further along), but I kind of thought he was winding me up. It's nice to not have to bite my tongue any more! It's also good to hear them reaffirm their commitment to PC and the next-gen of consoles, and blimmin' great to hear that this isn't an MMO.

Oh also: blue! Hooray! I hope the blue isn't as all-encompassing as gold was in DXHR though: a more varied colour palette would be very welcome, please.

The bad: Unfortunately, I probably won't care about a fair chunk of the new content. I've played The Fall, and (as I've said elsewhere) while it's a very admirable attempt to bring Deus Ex to phones / tablets, I don't want to play Deus Ex on phones / tablets: the style of game simply doesn't suit those platforms. I might read some of the tie in comics / novels, and if they decide to make a full DX game on Vita I'll be there like a shot, but the phone / tablet side of this "universe" holds very little interest for me.

And an additional point...

The potential: EM want to bring Deus Ex to a wider market: we know that, it's established. But now they've got a new avenue to do that, with the mobile games. Bearing that in mind, can was please see the core game(s) swing further back towards the (inverted commas a go-go) "hardcore", please? Unfortunately though, Jean-Francois Dugas already confirmed to me that they won't be moving back away from regenerating health* but maybe lean keys? A better XP system? Proper melee? Far, far less reliance on third person? Having an entirely separate "casual" branch of Deus Ex games could really liberate the design for the core games, so let's hope EM make the best of this opportunity.

*Of course, this was a few months ago, and said during a personal conversation rather than a formal one: this may have changed, so don't take it as an official announcement until EM officially announce it, but more than likely it won't change.

Originally Posted by Ashpolt
    Unfortunately though, Jean-Francois Dugas already confirmed to me that they won't be moving back away from regenerating health
    Ash, everytime you dole out these tidbits you kill me a little more. I'd rather get all the bad news in one go.

Did he at least give you a non-bull reason?

Lets not forget this time that Deus Ex needs actual cool conspirecy theories and NOT another romance plot?

Like FEMA camp: Good.
    Save Megan: Bad.

Maybe hire deadeye as a consultant?

I would like too see Knights Templars in next Deus Ex ,cool groups for cool conspirecy theories .The Omar from DX 2 were cool too.

Yes! None of that love story "got to save my ex crap" to be honest when I played HR I choose the negative options when it came to talking about megan.
    Nicolette: What are you, some sort of an assassin?
    JC Denton: When necessary

I agree that was embarrassing for players.

I didn't mind the "saving megan" plot, I thought she was alive but being used as one of the living drones so it would be tragedy. Turns out it wasn't so much a tragedy, but still not the "lovey dovey" ending people expected. It was sort of rushed and alienating.

I still can't figure out the HR ending. Barring the ending cinematic I thought it was all rather unsatisfying and detached from the rest of the game, at least, beyond Singapore.

(click image to enlarge)

I remember Mary DeMarle hyping up a scene from The Darkness where you're just sitting on the couch and watching tv with your girlfriend. She said she liked it because it showed the player why they should care about her. Interestingly enough, nothing like this made it into Human Revolution. We were just told why we should care throughout the whole game.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

I think EM made a conscious and deliberate decision to "go small" with the story of DXHR. This was the origin story of Adam Jensen, and the Megan Reed plot device was really thrown in to give shape to EM's new hero. It was thinly-written, thinly-conceived, and cliche beyond all belief (seriously, does every single protagonist have to be on some "they took everything from me" quest for vengeance/answers these days?).

This time around, I would expect EM to open up the story a bit. They showed only brief glimpses of the Illuminati in DXHR. The big MJ12 coup and schism within the Illuminati should be coming up fairly soon in the timeline. Those could be some very exciting events to experience, even if in the beginning they are largely taking place in the background. Not to mention all the natural (or are they?) disasters, plague epidemics, and wars that turn the bright n' shiny world of DXHR into the grungy, decaying, edge-of-the-apocalypse mess of DX1.

Originally Posted by 68_pie
    Did he at least give you a non-bull reason?
    His reason is, quite simply, that he believes health regen was the correct move. We can disagree as much as we like, but he genuinely sticks by his design decision, and that's why we won't be seeing a change.

As much as I dislike this - and I do! - I've got to (begrudgingly) respect JFD for staying true to what he believes. It takes a strong will to do so in the face of such vocal dissent.

And you don't have to worry about any more bad news, at least not that I know about. Save one little tidbit regarding the name(s) for upcoming game(s) which is neither good nor bad (and I probably shouldn't talk about anyway) this announcement pretty much covers all of what little info I was able to tease out of them.

His reason is, quite simply, that he believes health regen was the correct move. We can disagree as much as we like, but he genuinely sticks by his design decision, and that's why we won't be seeing a change.
    So he still believes that without health regen we would all be "backtracking for medkits"? Wonderful.

As much as I dislike this - and I do! - I've got to (begrudgingly) respect JFD for staying true to what he believes. It takes a strong will to do so in the face of such vocal dissent.
    He supposedly believed in highlighting too...

And you don't have to worry about any more bad news, at least not that I know about. Save one little tidbit regarding the name(s) for upcoming game(s) which is neither good nor bad (and I probably shouldn't talk about anyway) this announcement pretty much covers all of what little info I was able to tease out of them.
    In terms of the name, it can't be worse than "Human Revolution" [he writes, hopefully].

Can we please get a good physics engine this time?

And have less generic NPCs, but have them all saying something interesting? Like not having 2 identical girls on each exit of the Detroit subway complaining that when they get home their boyfriend will be mad at them?

Oh, and please give us a player character who’s not a complete, lovesick moron. For the love of god.

Also: balance XP and bring back melee combat.

DO keep hacking. and conversation battles. And the good level design of places like “the rooftop district” in Hengsha (I think it was actually called Yuzhao, but I’ve spent most of my time hopping on rooftop with ILS to make sure I don’t die, so I’m not sure).

oh, and please don’t outsource your boss battles to people whose idea of “different approaches” amounts to “We have to make sure this boss could be defeated in different ways. It must be fun to do with a shotgun OR with an assault rifle!”

kthanksbai

I hope they find a way to make every aug useful this time. Most of the Stealth Enhancer tree in HR was useless imo.

I mean all I really needed for a stealth run with augs was cloaking, fully upgraded hacking, typhoon and smart vision.

Problem: I'm worried such a large span of platforms makes it significantly harder to ensure no important content is lost for those who cannot/will not follow all platforms. It's one thing to experiment with a tie-in novel and mobile game. But this, this is a whole universe they're building, so to speak, and all coming from the same source. The balance between exclusive and redundant will be very difficult to achieve, even for the most skilled franchiser.

Speculation: Czech Republic is almost definitely a go. The license plate is a good hint (haven't made sense of the numbers yet), but it's the beggars that are a dead giveaway. Their pose is very distinctive. I've seen tons of them in Prague, and I'm guessing a Montrealer on the team was impressed by a similar sight either on a personal trip, or during HR's promotion.

But now they've got a new avenue to do that, with the mobile games. Bearing that in mind, can was please see the core game(s) swing further back towards the (inverted commas a go-go) "hardcore", please?
    This makes perfect, genuine sense. The segregation we have begun to see between mobile and "traditional" gaming is a perfect excuse to establish a stronger identity for pc and console games. It would be a mistake, I think, to attempt to bridge mobile with pc/console, by leveling the design to somewhat of a common ground. This will be yet another immense challenge for this whole Universe endeavor.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

I remember Mary DeMarle hyping up a scene from The Darkness where you're just sitting on the couch and watching tv with your girlfriend. She said she liked it because it showed the player why they should care about her. Interestingly enough, nothing like this made it into Human Revolution. We were just told why we should care throughout the whole game.
    What about Adam's apartment? I thought it was a masterpiece of show-not-tell and I know they put a lot of effort into it.

I meant just as far as the relationship between Adam and Megan went. With her talking so highly about that particular scene, I figured we'd get something similar for the relationship in Human Revolution, but we didn't get any such thing.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

I meant just as far as the relationship between Adam and Megan went. With her talking so highly about that particular scene, I figured we'd get something similar for the relationship in Human Revolution, but we didn't get any such thing.
    Yeah fair call. The opening sequence gave us a bit of Adam and Megan's relationship, with the memorabilia in his office and the awkward elevator sequence. But yeah, it was all too brief.

The Megan-Adam part of HR's story was the worst.

It certainly seems to be the general consensus that the Megan part of the story was the weakest part. I see JC Denton kinda like Agent Mulder. Sure he may or may not have feelings for some of the women around him, but his only personal quest is for the Truth.

Yeah I agree the storyline relating to Megan wasn't great. At the start more history and/or interaction between them would have been great. And by the time you catch up with Megan later, would have been nice for some options to play as Adam reacting more strongly, because she is seriously messed up.

If we'd been given enough time to care about Megan, see her demonstrate some attachment to Adam, show some emotions beyond general annoyance, then her "death" and subsequent return at the end of the game would've had much more impact.

Imagine if she'd been around as long as Paul in DX1. Imagine if she was hanging around Sarif Industries in between missions, giving you instructions over the infolink, etc. She could've visibly been conflicted by the secrets she was keeping and her continued concern for Adam.

And then BOOM, Sarif Industries gets attacked. Not only would you have cared more about Megan's fate, you would've seen the damage done to your "home base" and all the people working there. You would've wanted to know what she was hiding, wanted to know who killed her and why, instead of just being told by the game designers "you really loved this person so you should care about her."

Page 4 of 5 First First 12345 Last