Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Official - 2013 Leaderboard Reset Incoming

Official - 2013 Leaderboard Reset Incoming

Post Official - 2013 Leaderboard Reset Incoming

Update 11/10/2013:

Hi guys!

The reset went through with a few hours delay but you should now be much better placed to get the two achievements that depend on your leaderboard position.
    All three versions of the game (X360, Japanese and PC) had the leaderboards reset. As of now, it seems unlikely that there will be any further resets.

Original post:
    Hello Kane and Lynch fans!

We've heard your calls for a leaderboard reset and we've put one in place.

So, here's the info you need:

As of October 1st, 2013 at 1AM PDT / 9AM CET the leaderboards for both the Xbox 360 and PC versions of Kane & Lynch will be reset.
    (There has been some confusion about the time, in relation to CET. The reset has been requested for 1AM PDT, so please make your own calculations based on that.)

This should allow a number of you to earn the "True Elite" and "Celebrity" achievements.

Update - September 3rd

Sadly, the leaderboard reset will be a one-time thing. Nick@IO explained why on the actual petition page.

Would it not be easier to have the two achievements automatically unlock once loading up the game? Similar to what Gears of Wars 3 did for the achievement where you need to play in all the events to unlock an achievement?

Just a thought, that way no reset required regularly and everyone will get the two achievements they want.

This is really awesome! Thank you so much for resetting the leaderboards.

I was also wondering if the Japanese version of the game will have the leaderboards reset as well?

And PC version also can get DLC ?
    i wish IOI can buy back Kane & Lynch !

I'd like to express my support and gratitude for the decision on resetting the leaderboards. I'm glad Eidos has listened to the community.

I would either like to see monthly leaderboard resets or just unlock the True Elite and Celebrity achievements automatically for players. I can see blocker groups preventing those achievements from being achievable again.

All in all, thank you from a long time fan!

THANKS!

I agree that after a time a person/group could camp at the top of the leaderboard again in the future. The nice thing is that for a time being the person currently at the top has the same chance as you and I. It is easy to camp at the top once you are already there but at least for a short while they will have to claw up with everyone else.

A periodic reset would be great and could deter this behavior like with GRAW but at this point I am very thankful that this one reset is happening. You can be assured that I will be on playing.

thanks for the leaderboards reset. would be great if you can let us know about the monthly reset. The blockers are still playing so we would probably have the problem again.

Thanks all for the early feedback. We would like to see the leaderboards reset monthly to give more people chance to get the achievements but that is still not certain.

For those asking to have the achievements simply unlock: We had already asked Microsoft about it (they control the TrueSkill leaderboards) and simply allowing an achievement to unlock isn't possible.

I'm pretty sure Gears of War 3 managed to get away with it because they were able to update all players' ribbon count on the server side and then only require players to earn one final ribbon to unlock the achievement. We have no such option with Kane & Lynch.

EDIT: Also, we requested the reset for the three separate versions of the game: Xbox 360, PC & Japanese X360.

about the simply unlock: is there maybe a way to unlock those achievements with a certain trueskill rank? At the moment you have to be position 1 and 2. There is no need to reset leaderboards all the time if you change it to something like "reach trueskill rank xx to play as lynch/kane". I think that was already possible before it got patched. For example on wikipedia you can find this info: "players who have reached TrueSkill rank 50 and 30 will play as Kane and Lynch"

btw. 1am PST is not 9am CET. can't you do it like noon GMT? everybody knows how many hours he is ahead or behind.

how about just making the skins unlock for everyone. then all you would have to do is play a game with each skin.
    would make more sense as the asshats who blocked the leaderboards top spots are just going to do the same thing again.

Originally Posted by Lonegunman718
    how about just making the skins unlock for everyone. then all you would have to do is play a game with each skin.
    would make more sense as the asshats who blocked the leaderboards top spots are just going to do the same thing again.
    i guess you cannot read. he said thats impossible.

To Travis@IO

Hi there,

First, THANK YOU for saying you're going to reset these achievements. You have no idea how many years I've waited for the boards to reset.

However, there's something important here...

All of the stats are saved on save files, aren't they?

Well, if one of the boosters at the top of the leaderboards plays a game, he's gonna be right at the top again, and unbeatable, isn't he?

Can you confirm that EVERYONE'S leaderboard stats are going to be COMPLETELY wiped, erased, etc, as if they've NEVER played the game?

Confirming this would confirm that the leaderboard-blocking 'groups' will have lost everything they've done, and allow everyone else who's NOT them a fair chance.

I hope you can confirm this, thank you.

- TSG Dwaggie (1250/1250 50/52 K&L 360, 1000/1000 44/44 PC)

@Drizzt. He said a simple put the game in and have the achievement unlock patch is impossible because of the true skill but if they did a patch to give everyone access to all the MP skins or a 'free skin pack DLC' (obviously inc. Kane and Lynch) it could possibly work around the true skill problem as I imagine the achievement looks to see if you are using the Kane/Lynch MP skin rather than position on the global leaderboards.

I am massively thankful to Eidos for the chance at these achievements but with easily over 100 people in boosting sessions over at True Achievements the moment the boards are due to be cleared it's going to be crazy and a patch or free dlc pack is probably easier on Eidos than constantly checking on MS to reset the leaderboards every month if that is even possible.

Why not release a piece of DLC that allows you to gain these achievements, charge $5 for it and donate all the proceeds to charity. You will make the community happy and do something for a good cause and it would be good publicity. It would also stop those idiots at the top from ruining it for everyone. It's got to be easier than getting Microsoft to do a monthly reset.

So, as was posted by Nick@IO on the actual petition page, the reset will be a one-time thing.

If you don't click through the link above, the reason for this is that any updates to the game (including setting up a monthly reset) will require a title update of some kind. Whilst title updates are now free, there is still the cost of having people work on the update, test it and make sure it meets requirements. Doing all of that on a game as old as this where it's not that easy to quickly update things makes it a bigger task than it may seem on the surface and therefore more costly.

To answer a few more questions:

- I can confirm that the reset will happen at 1AM PDT October 1st. I was told that this was 8 hours behind CET, but daylight savings or something might be confusing things. 1AM PDT is definite.

- I'm fairly certain that because the leaderboards are based on trueskill, that when they reset everyone will be on a level playing field. (The little research that I have just done suggests that TrueSkill is saved on the server side, so when Microsoft reset it, everyone will keep their game stats but will have their online ranking reset to default.)

First, thank you so much for doing the leaderboard reset. There are a ton of gamers that really appreciate it. I am one of them, and because of this, I am going to try and get those two achievements. You have been great with all the questions and I am sure you are 'tired' of being bugged all the time, so I know how that can feel and appreciate all your efforts.

Anyway, someone above mentioned DLC or Skin Packs that we could purchase for $5 to get the Kane skin and Lynch skins. I would be very happy with that, and I don't care if you keep the $5 or give it to charity. I love the idea because it defeats those leaderboard blockers from actually accomplishing their goals. Heck, I would be happy with any solution that does that.

Regardless, even resetting the leaderboard once for an older game is still great and believe me, now Eidos and their games are on the top of my list because of support like this.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Drizzt
    about the simply unlock: is there maybe a way to unlock those achievements with a certain trueskill rank? At the moment you have to be position 1 and 2. There is no need to reset leaderboards all the time if you change it to something like "reach trueskill rank xx to play as lynch/kane". I think that was already possible before it got patched. For example on wikipedia you can find this info: "players who have reached TrueSkill rank 50 and 30 will play as Kane and Lynch"
    I agree. If the achievements cannot be simply unlocked, how about unlocking them when the player reaches a certain Trueskill level?

The idea of having the skins as DLC or as having the achievements unlock when players reach a particular Trueskill level certainly make sense on the surface but the problem remains that for these changes to be made, a title update would be necessary, which for reasons explained above isn't viable.

The best option is a complete reset of the leaderboards to give people a chance of picking up the achievements.

Originally Posted by Travis@IO
    The idea of having the skins as DLC or as having the achievements unlock when players reach a particular Trueskill level certainly make sense on the surface but the problem remains that for these changes to be made, a title update would be necessary, which for reasons explained above isn't viable.

The best option is a complete reset of the leaderboards to give people a chance of picking up the achievements.
    Make it a DLC pack and charge, say $5, for the skins to be able to use to unlock the achievements. Yes, you would have to make a title update but I'd be willing to bet the sales of this DLC pack would more than cover the costs on your end.

A server reset is better than what we have available now but the "chance of picking up the achievements" is probably comparable to your "chance" of winning the lottery.

Can you confirm which of the following is correct? You must be at position #1 and #2, separately, to get both skins or if you reach position #1 (never being at position #2) you will have access to both skins?

you have to be #1 and #2 seperatly. i got both achievements 2 weeks ago on the pc and can confirm that. i was #1 before i got #2...

@travis
    and would be my idea easier? just to change it back from #1 and #2 to trueskill rank 50 and 30 like before? it doesn't need any testing because it was already ingame (if wikipedia is right).
    and i think it is only necessary on the xbox (international version). the other 2 versions do not have many players. it took me around 4 hours only to get both achievements on the pc.

I think Diesel might be right about the pay for dlc (I know it's starting a bad precedent of paying for achievements (but that's why most of us get any DLC)) but it guarantees everyone who wants the achievement can get them rather then the chaos that is going to ensue after the reset. I can see that from a business side it would be a slight risk for Eidos to do this, but it would depend on the cost to manufacture the pack (programming/testing to make sure it will work) and the people who want it (looking at the true achievement session there is a lot of us)

@travis. I'm one of the ones that petitioned early on to get this done and have been following the subject of these achievements for years. However I have to agree with the guys above that a one off reset just won't get it for many people. There's absolute chaos going on at the achievement websites and it'll be worse when it's reset. A better way would be dlc that unlocks the skins and gives us the achievements that we pay for. I'd gladly pay for it and so would many others and that would cover the costs of making it surely? A handful of people at best will get the achievement tomorrow and whilst I appreciate your effort in trying for us, I fear the leaderboards will be back to how they were in no time

Having the skins included in a DLC pack certainly makes sense on the surface but there's a few reasons why that doesn't make sense from our point of view.

Basically, it would be a risk. If we spend the time and effort to actually figure out a way to get the skins set up as a DLC pack, we'd need to go through testing for it to make sure it worked on both platforms and then go through submission processes with Microsoft. Considering that K&L was first released over 6 years ago, there's no telling how complicated or tricky that could be.

The other big point is that the above solution takes up the time of people that otherwise would be working on ongoing (or unannounced) projects. This would include people working not only at IOI but also Square Enix and would again be seen as a risk to those projects for potentially very little or no benefit.

I'm hopeful that the leaderboard reset will enable more than just the first people to get the achievement as I know first-hand that the community is very helpful to others.

Based on the number of people that have joined sessions on TA (over 200) you could multiply that by however much charged to get an idea of how much could be made. I'm sure all those people would be willing to spend a few pound to get this game done. I've been helping campaign for a leaderboard reset for a really long time and whilst I appreciate the effort involved in getting this done, from reading what people have been writing on TA (blocking others, sabotaging sessions Etc) I can't help but feel that only a select few will get the achievements and they will only do so by sabotaging others which is unfair on the rest of us who paid money and are willing to work for the achievements. I know a monthly leaderboard reset seems unfeasible but it's the only way the normal gamers will stand a chance at these achievements, and ones we have campaigned hard for. Or if IO could find another solution to roll them out to the masses? I think it would leave a lot of good feedback for the company and having campaigned to other companies and getting ignored, it would certainly raise the profile of your company among the gaming community. Look at the negative feedback EA get for ignoring its fan base

Page 1 of 3 123 Last