Page 3 of 3 First First 123

Thread: Official - 2013 Leaderboard Reset Incoming

Official - 2013 Leaderboard Reset Incoming

Originally Posted by Park Diesel
    I've brought up the paid DLC a couple of times and it has not been commented on by Travis. At this point, I'd pay a minimum of $20 to get these two achievements.

I like the idea of a kickstarter though. If Eidos would tell us how much a patch or title update would cost them, I think they would be surprised how quickly that money would show up.
    I know it's not the most orthodox move for a profitable company to ask for donations, which may be why he's balking on a response. But, like you said, at this point I'd be willing to do pretty much anything for these achievements. I've unlocked nearly every achievement on every game I've played, and to have MS's incompetence and the selfish actions of MS's Ambassadors screw me out of these ones would suck.

To be fair, I answered the potential of having the skins as DLC on the first page of this thread, quoted below.

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do to stop people blocking the leaderboards. We've had feedback from a few places that there are people out there who are playing a lot and passing around the achievement as much as they can, so hopefully some of you still have a chance to earn them.

As I said before, if there's another way to reset the leaderboards without a title update, then we'll do what we can to make that happen.

Originally Posted by Travis@IO
    Having the skins included in a DLC pack certainly makes sense on the surface but there's a few reasons why that doesn't make sense from our point of view.

Basically, it would be a risk. If we spend the time and effort to actually figure out a way to get the skins set up as a DLC pack, we'd need to go through testing for it to make sure it worked on both platforms and then go through submission processes with Microsoft. Considering that K&L was first released over 6 years ago, there's no telling how complicated or tricky that could be.

The other big point is that the above solution takes up the time of people that otherwise would be working on ongoing (or unannounced) projects. This would include people working not only at IOI but also Square Enix and would again be seen as a risk to those projects for potentially very little or no benefit.

I'm hopeful that the leaderboard reset will enable more than just the first people to get the achievement as I know first-hand that the community is very helpful to others.

thanks travis. around every 2hours one of us is getting the achievement at the moment. will probably take more than 1 week to get all of us done.

To be fair, I answered the potential of having the skins as DLC on the first page of this thread, quoted below.

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do to stop people blocking the leaderboards. We've had feedback from a few places that there are people out there who are playing a lot and passing around the achievement as much as they can, so hopefully some of you still have a chance to earn them.

As I said before, if there's another way to reset the leaderboards without a title update, then we'll do what we can to make that happen.
    There is a group on TrueAchievements that's taken over the leaderboard and are currently passing down the achievement, that's true. The problem is that this group was led by a person who's been involved in leaderboard-related scandals before, so most knowledgeable people were hesitant to join it.

The aforementioned leader (who is an Xbox Ambassador) actively promoted for people involved in his boost to join all the other people's games and mess up their plans. The only "outsiders" that managed to get to #1 resorted to bridging connections, which is against Microsoft's Terms and Conditions.

Currently, they've removed all transparency from their boosting operations and are now seemingly picking people to boost to #1 at random.

None of this should matter though, because people should be able to stand a chance at earning the achievements through fair play, not all this boosting and ladder nonsense. I get that Eidos has done more than most companies would do, and I'm grateful for that. What I'm saying is that Microsoft should be willing to waive any fees involved with continual leaderboard resets, or any other solution Eidos wants to use. Eidos has shown they're willing to fix their mistakes, and Microsoft shouldn't be getting in the way of that.

I plan to start up another petition for a sustainable solution to these leaderboard achievements, one aimed at Microsoft rather than Eidos. Would you know who the best people to contact regarding that are?

I'm definitely in agreement with you, @Austin, that the achievements should be achievable through fair play but changing the achievements or having them automatically unlock is also outside of Microsoft policy. That's fair enough I'd say as they can't set a precedent for other games with 'difficult' achievements like these two we have here. The achievements were created by Eidos/IOI anyway and Microsoft can't be blamed for the difficulties people now have earning them.

I do want to stress that Microsoft are not actively getting in our way, in fact they've been super helpful since we got in touch with them. Also, Microsoft aren't asking for any fees for the update, it's a collective decision made by IOI/Square Enix not to pursue that option because of the work hours/costs/risks involved on our part, as I've talked about previously.

We are talking with Microsoft about any alternatives to this somewhat unusual situation to see if we can set up even semi-regular resets. For now, that's an ongoing situatuon and as such, I don't recommend starting any petitions.

That's fair enough I'd say as they can't set a precedent for other games with 'difficult' achievements like these two we have here.
    There already is a precedent, though. Trials HD's Marathon Mode used to be nearly impossible and take literally months of practice, and it was patched to make it attainable by anyone who was willing to work at it for a few days. Guitar Hero III's 750k achievement was similarly impossible until the (relatively) easy Metallica DLC came out. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.

I was able to get both of the leader board achievements. Big thanks to the trueachievement.com guys who kept this going and made it possible for so many people.

Thanks also to Eidos for making the reset happen.

Good luck to everyone still going after this.

Originally Posted by Austin
    There already is a precedent, though. Trials HD's Marathon Mode used to be nearly impossible and take literally months of practice, and it was patched to make it attainable by anyone who was willing to work at it for a few days. Guitar Hero III's 750k achievement was similarly impossible until the (relatively) easy Metallica DLC came out. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.
    That's a fair point and I may have jumped the gun a little bit there in including 'changing'. For us to change the achievement requirements would still need a title update though. We did ask Microsoft if we could have the achievements to unlock for anyone that plays and that was turned down. The example you give of releasing extra DLC worked well for GH3 and even Gears of War 3 changed around some server settings to allow people to play one more match and earn a specific ribbon. Neither option is really viable in the case of K&L.

I was able to get both of the leader board achievements. Big thanks to the trueachievement.com guys who kept this going and made it possible for so many people.

Thanks also to Eidos for making the reset happen.

Good luck to everyone still going after this.
    Can you or anyone else post a link to this specific group/session on True Achievements so that more people know where to find it. Thanks!

That's a fair point and I may have jumped the gun a little bit there in including 'changing'. For us to change the achievement requirements would still need a title update though. We did ask Microsoft if we could have the achievements to unlock for anyone that plays and that was turned down. The example you give of releasing extra DLC worked well for GH3 and even Gears of War 3 changed around some server settings to allow people to play one more match and earn a specific ribbon. Neither option is really viable in the case of K&L.

Can you or anyone else post a link to this specific group/session on True Achievements so that more people know where to find it. Thanks!
    The session is currently closed to new members, and linking it will only draw more attention from people that are looking to grief them. As much as I'm annoyed by the management involved with that session, I'd rather not mess things up for the innocents that are just trying to get their achievements.

Having the skins included in a DLC pack certainly makes sense on the surface but there's a few reasons why that doesn't make sense from our point of view.

Basically, it would be a risk. If we spend the time and effort to actually figure out a way to get the skins set up as a DLC pack, we'd need to go through testing for it to make sure it worked on both platforms and then go through submission processes with Microsoft. Considering that K&L was first released over 6 years ago, there's no telling how complicated or tricky that could be.

The other big point is that the above solution takes up the time of people that otherwise would be working on ongoing (or unannounced) projects. This would include people working not only at IOI but also Square Enix and would again be seen as a risk to those projects for potentially very little or no benefit.

I'm hopeful that the leaderboard reset will enable more than just the first people to get the achievement as I know first-hand that the community is very helpful to others.
    You mentioned that it would be "potentially very little or no benefit." That is where I think people err. Because Eidos did a leaderboard reset, I know that they at least listen more than say, EA, and therefore when I see their games, I am more likely to get them. I have a glitched achievement on Medal of Honor Airborne and because of the callous attitude of EA, I did not even consider MoH Warfighter. If there are 1,000 people like me that is a decent amount of games that were not bought and the math is easy to see how much less revenue was generated. I know that companies deal in millions, so this is not really that much, but if say it only costs $20,000 to do you can see the payoff is worth it, not to mentioned the next iterations of the franchise.

Apparently, that "ladder" has been broken/overtaken by the original blockers of the leader board. Everyone who has already unlocked the achievements since the reset will be the only gamers to do so. The leader board is now blocked off again just like it was before the reset.

Apparently, that "ladder" has been broken/overtaken by the original blockers of the leader board. Everyone who has already unlocked the achievements since the reset will be the only gamers to do so. The leader board is now blocked off again just like it was before the reset.
    That is far from true. The original holder gave up on the game when the ladder was reset. He spent a lot of time getting to the top and holding it for years, only for a reset to kick him off the top. He holds a number of other leaderboards and probably doesn't have the energy or patience to do it all over again.

How do I know? Because I am top of the ladder, and have held it for the last 2 days. I took it off that trueachievements website because of the appalling mismanagement. They only have themselves to blame, stating that they must control who gets the achievement and who does not. I am in the process of getting other people not part of their website the achievement and then I am passing it back to more reliable members of that site. This is assuming that the people who are taking the top spot don't have a vendetta against the members of the site for their own reasons.

For people not really in the loop on how to get the achievement, trueachievements are asking you to sit in a game dropping grenades or running into trucks for 10 hours straight. Yes 10 hours straight. Why? Because of the mismanagement of the session as they tried to block the leaderboards from anyone else attempting to have a fair chance. It should be more like 4 hours maximum but they completely screwed things up for their own greed.

Another reset is not really needed as long as people are patient, and realise that they are looking at 10 hours plus of listening to bad jokes and draining their soul. The things you do for zero gamerscore right?

Red Face (Embarrassed)

Hi Travis, first i want to thank you and everyone involved with the last leaderboard reset, it really shows you care about the customers and the community.

As many others have said, even with this great effort it is quite impossible to earn the achievements now and many of us, sadly, couldn't take advantage of this reset and missed out in our only chance after all this time.

However, it is nice to see there is still a way, I really understand it does not seem like a smart business move to put the time/money/effort into releasing a title update and a DLC to finally resolve this issue, but as others said here and I did not see a reply to them, there could be a Kickstarter campaign for this to ensure you wont be losing money on this, let's say it would cost $5k to go through this, then it could be a $5 DLC and the campaign could run until 1000 persons donate their $5 and after, when this is fixed you could give them a code to download the DLC for free and make it $5 for everyone else for more profit, which I truly believe there would be as a lot of people would get this to have those achievements and finally get that 100% completion, not to mention the people who have not played the game because it is not possible to complete now.

Is there any chance you would consider this? As long as it is official and the money is going your way, someone could volunteer to run this.

Please, give us hope!!

Thanks in advance;
    Jonker3262.

Has anyone heard anything about the kickstarter working? Time may be running out.

Page 3 of 3 First First 123