View Poll Results: What was your favourite Tomb Raider Game?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tomb Raider 1 / TR1 Gold: Unfinished Business

36 21.18%
  • Tomb Raider 2: Starring Lara Croft / TR2 Gold: The Gold Mask

47 27.65%
  • Tomb Raider 3: The Adventures Of Lara Croft / TR3 Gold: The Lost Artifact

27 15.88%
  • Tomb Raider 4: The Last Revelation

27 15.88%
  • Tomb Raider 5: Chronicles

8 4.71%
  • Tomb Raider 6: The Angel Of Darkness

30 17.65%
  • Tomb Raider 7: Legend

30 17.65%
  • Tomb Raider Anniversary

17 10.00%
  • Tomb Raider 8: Underworld

23 13.53%
  • Tomb Raider 9 (TR 2013)

82 48.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: What's your favorite TR game? Now incl. TR9!

If I could vote, I'd chose Tomb Raider 9 (TR 2013) since it has a specific story. It gives Lara a human face and emotions.

I also loved TR2, I played it over and over again when I was a kid and now I have a lot of sentiment to this game.

TR 1996 and TR Legend 2006 were great. But, I like the general direction of TR 2013 (I played the PS4 DE version), so I'd have to pick the latest game in the series. There needs to be big improvement in shooting guns/bows, though. And, I'd like to see a more curvy Lara, like the old days.
    signature image

I did enjoy the original TR. I only actually finished it for the first time a few months ago. I kept getting frustrated and needed a break. I was sort of disappointed at how easy it was to kill Natla but I guess after all the difficult challenges you had to face it was a nice break. However, I have a soft spot for Anniversary. I like Lara's voice her slightly updated look (the long braid), but it still had the original TR feel, meaning they left a lot of the look (not graphics wise), and I also liked how you could get outfits.
    signature image

My heart and mind has ever been fixed on Tomb Raider 2. Perhaps it's because of the fond memories it invokes inside me and that I am challenged to explain it in words. The story, the adventure, the global travelling, and not forgetting the wonderful puzzles of course! It all added up to a well rounded and balanced game. For me, it's what Tomb Raider should always be.

Edit: In addition to my comment above and, going by the current poll results, I find it very fascinating indeed that a sequel released nearly twenty years ago in 1997 is still popular and holding its own today. The message couldn't be any clearer if it were lit up with neon lights!
    Last edited by julietxjules; 13th Mar 2015 at 15:15.
    signature image

The very best game ever? Was tomb raider "the last revelation " I still play it today, not quite found all its,secrets.. But I think that is,half the fun, plus,the puzzles are fantastic,not many in the later versions...??

I must say, I don't have any of the games in the series that I dislike or didn't enjoy, but as far as favourites go, mine would have to be Tomb Raider II Staring Lara Croft (purely for the nostalgia factor and it was the first game I played) along with the more refined Tomb Raider Chronicles

But on the next gen consol it would have to be Tomb Raider Anniversary! I loved it to bits and especially enjoyed the running commentary points

I went TR1 and TR2 and both within the series and outside that they are standout. The original has some brilliant levels like Midas Palace and St Frances Folly. I loved the elements TR2 added like the boat/snowmobile and think it has most atmosphere of the TR games.

The nine one, because Im wanting adventure, drama and spirit of a survivor, and this game does it have

Tomb Raider 2 and Tomb Raider 2013 were the best
    Clashes.ru (Clash of Clan guides and layouts)

Can't beat the original, t-rex emerging from the shadows and playing for sport... just amazing. Prove me wrong with rise CD!

I vote for Tomb Raider II, of course!

TR1
    TR2
    TR Underworld
    TR9
    signature image

Ok, I'm gonna be first. TR10 is absolutely my favourite TR game.
    signature image

Geez, I'm only two years & four months from the lead post on this but... "never better than late," or something.

Anyhow, this is a really difficult question. To my mind the absolute best combination of state-of-the-art cinematic graphics with the look (including Lara's "non-realistic" appearance, which has always been one of the best things about TR,) feel and playability of the first three games, is Underworld, hands-down. That game is a masterpiece. It had all of the isolation, mystery, otherworldly weirdness, "non-realistic" fantasy predators and opponents, classic tomb-exploration intrigue, and the general style of TR I/II/III, but in spectacularly-rendered, state-of-the-art, photorealistic settings and characters. If SE did variations on Underworld for the next ten TR titles, I would be overjoyed.

But! As blocky and comparatively primitive as they are, the first three (plus Last Rev and maybe Chronicles too) are like old friends, or maybe like going home - so definitely some heavy-duty maudlin nostalgia at work in contemplating those, to the point I'd say that as great as Underworld was, I doubt anything can ever touch the first games of the series.

In contrast, the 2013 reboot is the first Tomb Raider title I didn't even finish. 'Had a computer crash roughly midway through, which necessitated a complete OS reinstall, and the thought of slogging through that whole thing again just to play it through, seemed prohibitively boring so I bagged it. The game's play-by-numbers linearity reminded me of those bonehead-obvious highlighted pathways of Legend; controlling the camera during combat was flatly impossible (I keep dreaming of a simple toggle to lock that thing right behind one of her shoulders, like in the classic games); and the whole thing with spending copious time diddling around with weapons-configuration and upgrades, and the idea of endlessly plinking away at crows to increase your shooting mojo incrementally, are absolute flow-killers and mind-numbing-boredom-enhancers. The maximum amount of time and mental focus I want to expend on selecting weapons is limited to the eight or ten seconds it takes to hit Esc and rotate my way through the pistols, Uzis, shotgun and maybe spear gun, and that's it. Please do not ask me to scrabble around for sticks and duct tape (or whatever it was,) to get some minor enhancement of a gun, or to navigate through multi-layered configuration menus for 600 different player parameters. At times the 2013 reboot felt like a discussion with a car insurance agent over coverage levels and deductibles - and about as entertaining. 'Hoping beyond hope the new game is nothing like TR 2013 and everything like Underworld.

One of the other greatest inherent strengths of the original Tomb Raider series was its simplicity. It wasn't about anal-retentive fixation on outfitting your avatar, it was about hitting the ground running and messing with tool selection only occasionally, briefly, and with minimal distraction from the whole milieu of exploration. IOW, I hope I never see another "base camp" as long as I live, in TR or any other game.

/soapbox
    Last edited by KasigiYabuSama; 3rd Dec 2015 at 03:21.

TR Legend for me

Will this poll be reset again with the release of Rise and all?

Honestly since voting, I've replayed some classics and the CD trilogy.
    My top 5 are:
    1. Legend
    2. Anniversary
    3. AOD
    4. Rise
    5. TRII

Rise has something that 2013 didn't: Replayable levels - they should've done this instead of the online mode they went for, it totally works well and the tasks you set yourself to achieve gold makes the replay all the more fun (I often choose the don't die challenge because I died a lot in my first run through) however Legend is my overall favourite because of Laras character, the story, the replayability and Croft Manor was super fun too. Plus there were SO many outfits to unlock, meaning I actually wanted to find the artifacts and relics unlike in previous installments where I didn't really care THAT much about finding them

Quote Originally Posted by dayoum View Post
    If I could vote, I'd chose Tomb Raider 9 (TR 2013) since it has a specific story. It gives Lara a human face and emotions.

I also loved TR2, I played it over and over again when I was a kid and now I have a lot of sentiment to this game.
    I came here to write the same thing. TR 2013 is gonna be my vote. I enjoyed playing it cause of the rich story-line and the challenges it brings.

My favourite would be Angel of Darkness. The soundtrack, the atmosphere, Lara itself and the (sadly uncompleted) story are amazing and still fascininate me to this day. It deserve justice.

Rise and TR2 come after AOD. TR2 was my first TR and will forever have a special place in my heart. The T-Rex's, Venice and it's music and the Temple of Xian are really unique.
    Rise is having a great story, beautiful environments and an awesome title song. I love the combat and the expedition mode with Endurance and Cold Darkness Awakened and the other modes.

If the LC games would count then Osiris would be my number 1. Everything about it is just awesome-perfect. The stunning locations, the puzzles, the perfect and just amazing soundtrack and the exploration and replay value of this game. Will forever be my personal number one of all TR/LC games of all time <3

In a House similar to the Classic Croft Manor (I wish!)
    Tomb Raider II will always be my favorite Tomb Raider game! You can't beat the Core Design classics. I liked the Reboot, however not as good as the classics IMO. Rise of the Tomb Raider was an excellent game though! A much better improvement over the Reboot!
    "Jacqueline Natla, you just don't know when to die!" - Lara Croft; Tomb Raider Underworld; 2008

1) tomb raider 2
    2) tomb raider 1
    3) tomb raider A
    4) tomb raider 2013
    5) rise of the tomb raider

Tomb Raider Underworld. I miss acrobatics, and exploration and diving. I miss fully automatic hand guns. I miss the cavalier and sort of playful and dangerous Lara. I miss the occasional warm locations, too. It literally had everything; scuba diving, motorcycles, acrobatics, full on assault rifles...in hindsight it was all over the top, but still left a lasting impression. If I had to pick a thing, it was the acrobatics. Being able to hoist yourself onto a cliff and into a full on handstand flip etc. I think you could compromise with this new series and put a more modest spin on the experienced and more graceful Lara of old, while still keeping it more grounded and realistic. I'm irritated with the cataclysmic chain reaction events of floors falling out beneath you, long slides, breaking ladders and rails, and crumbling cliffs. It's more over the top than the full on action Laras. The whole chained events of catastrophes comes across gimmicky and over abused.
    Last edited by RafeAdler; 7th Jan 2017 at 03:48.

Hello,
    I am thinking about buying the game Rise of the Tomb Raider at https://www.otto.nl . What do you say? Is this game good or should I rather wait for Tomb Raider:Underworld?

Hello, I am thinking about buying the game Tomb Raider at https://www.otto.nl. What do you say? Is this game good or should I rather wait for Tomb Raider:Underwolrd?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567