Thread: Will we ever get Defiance's source code?

Will we ever get Defiance's source code?

I fear I'm throwing a bottle in the ocean, but doing it is better that doing nothing, right?
    I had a dream last week where I had access to the game's source code, and I was all excited about it, especially when I found I could make a free third person camera in no time (t'was a dream, alright?). And then I woke up.
    And since then I've been thinking of all the great things we'd be able to do with the source code, like changing the camera, importing new models... and why not improving the combat.

So, the humble software engineer that I am will ask, even if he knows he or the community isn't entitled to anything; Eidos, SquareEnix, Crystal Dynamics, Nixxes could you please release the source code for Legacy of Kain: Defiance?

That way you would create a buzz around that great 10 year old game, and we'd be able to revive it even more. What's more, programming dudes like me who have little to no experience in game development would have a reason and a lot of motivation to delve into it, and why not become experienced enough to work in the industry down the line?
    Other companies have done the same in the past, just look at id software games, and how it improved their lifespans. Defiance's engine is old enough that you wouldn't make money selling it to anyone, so why not create the buzz, sell new copies of the game, and generate customer good will in the process?
    This is just a suggestion. Thank you for your time.

Hm, I am not sure it will be ever made public, since its copyright content, beside you need the engine itself, not just the code. I think that since they are still using this Gex engine (even newest TR is using it, I think), just vastly improved, so I do not think there is a chance for your request :/

It would be nice if the games had some support for modding, in general. But, they don't and it looks doubtful they will anytime soon.

I agree, modding would be great! But yeah, Hylden is right :/

Camera mod would save that game. I finished game the other day and hardest part was platforming when you couldn't see anything and controls were somewhat weird at times.
    Also, Earth Reaver forge platforms should have extended time.
    They don't even need to make source open to public. One small group of their employees could just add a button to control the camera and it would make game far more playable for someone who isn't hardcore fan yet.

Considering how they still use this engine (for example, Deus Ex: Human Revolution was built on it), it's really unlikely.

cant you change the camera in the trainer? i know there is a code for it in action replay max
    signature image

Yes, but it's buggy with the trainer on. Enter one area from another and the game can freeze; it also freezes when trying to start many cutscenes.

oh that is just to bad. it works fine in the ps2 version. maybe the code can be stabilized? im no programmer thought
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    Yes, but it's buggy with the trainer on. Enter one area from another and the game can freeze; it also freezes when trying to start many cutscenes.
    Which trainer did you use? Was it the old one with red background and buttons or the new (newer) one with the blue background? I think the old one might have just spammed the camera mode, in attempt to stop it deactivating in new areas.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Raziel View Post
    Also, Earth Reaver forge platforms should have extended time.
    That sounds easy enough. I might include that if I get around to working on the trainers again.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Quote Originally Posted by Raina Audron View Post
    I think that since they are still using this Gex engine (even newest TR is using it, I think), just vastly improved, so I do not think there is a chance for your request :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Count D View Post
    Considering how they still use this engine (for example, Deus Ex: Human Revolution was built on it), it's really unlikely.
    The fact they are still using it shouldn't have anything to with it's releasing. Most current engines are simply a more advanced iterations, and the fact that the source of a game using an earlier version being released doesn't have any disadvantages. Technically all Call of Duty games are running on a modified Quake 3 engine, and Q3 source has been released 8 years ago.

The reason that we won't see it released is because:
    1) there isn't really that much interest
    2) Eidos never had a habit of releasing sources even when there was a demand (that was the case with Thief)

Quote Originally Posted by Vampmaster View Post
    Which trainer did you use? Was it the old one with red background and buttons or the new (newer) one with the blue background? I think the old one might have just spammed the camera mode, in attempt to stop it deactivating in new areas.
    The newer one, I'm guessing?: Defiance Trainer 2, created November, 2012 with the blue Kain and Raziel symbols pic from Defiance.

Wish it'll be like this.