Page 1 of 11 12345 ... Last

Thread: We PLAYED Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut at E3 – Ask us anything!

We PLAYED Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut at E3 – Ask us anything!

We PLAYED Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut at E3 – Ask us anything!

Hi all!

As some of you may already know, last week Eidos-Montreal invited a group of community attendees from around the world to join us at E3 2013.

Generally, the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) is restricted to members of the game industry and media. However, it was important to everybody at Eidos-Montreal that it wasn't just members of the game industry elite who got to have all the fun, we wanted our most dedicated, hardworking community members to be able to meet the team and spend some time with us - and most importantly, get their hands on controls and actually PLAY the game!

These guys got full access to Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut - including interview slots with key members of the core development team, behind the scenes access plus double the hands on gameplay time that was allocated to anybody else who saw the game. We took special care to ensure that these guys got to experience everything we had to share, to ensure they would be fully equipped to answer any questions that you might have on what the world has seen so far of the game.

Now, the gang is back from the show and they’ll be visiting this thread daily to answer any questions you have about what they saw of Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut and their experience at E3. As the thread title suggest, as them anything!

Please keep this thread on topic with your questions about Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut and the E3 experience. Any off topic posts will be merged or deleted as necessary to ensure that the information contained in this thread is easily readable accessible to all.

I've also created mirrored threads for Thief and Deus Ex: The Fall - Check them out!

Our community attendees for E3 2013 were:

John (USA)
    Forum Handle: Jerion http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=95395

Lucy (UK)
    Forum Handle: Spyhopping http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=92302

Nate (USA)
    Forum Handle: Master Taffer http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=124691

Andrew (UK)
    Forum Handle: Ashpolt http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=113585

Sergey (RU)
    Forum Handle: Acid Burn http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=92350

We’ll maintain this thread, and keep a summary of your questions and answers combined in the following post. So let’s get to it – ask them anything!

(FYI - This post will be populated by the community - b1skit simply made the original post as a placeholder)

Questions Answered:

A commonly asked question is: “When will it be out and how much will it cost?”

Price, delivery method and release date for the Director’s Cut is undecided at this point. It will be coming to PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U.

Originally Posted by HERESY
    There was an E3 vid where the DC showed the Wii U controller on the screen while the game was playing. Was this done for presentation purposes or does the Wii U controller actually pop up on the lower left corner and stay there?
    Master Taffer:

This was just presentation purposes so you could see both screens in the E3 vid. During the actual game the controller screen remains on the controller.

How did the game look compared to the previous version?

How was the AI?
    Jerion:

Shaders were improved across the board, so it looks incrementally better. Compared against the vanilla 360 and PS3 versions the Wii U edition looks better, but the resolution and AA capabilities of the Wii U don't come close to what a PC can do. When the Director's Cut hits the PC, it will be the best looking of the lot.

AI is somewhat improved to be a bit more dynamic, intelligent and in a some cases more aggressive than in the vanilla versions.

Originally Posted by USER47
    How about prerendered cutscenes? Are they still low resolution and three times darker than the rest of the game?
    Jerion:

They only had the Wii U version on tap, so in terms of resolution there was little noticeable difference. The cutscenes appeared identical to the old versions, but the game actually appears to cover a wider range of light and dark thanks to the improved shaders, so it looks closer to the cutscenes now.

Originally Posted by Pillowman
    Did you get any sense of the Tyrants being more fleshed out? I'm not talking about the boss battles themselves - those seem vastly improved (yay!)

I'm talking about actually getting to know who they are before we duel them all to the death. I can't even remember the female Tyrant's name off the top of my head - she was that much of a non-entity in the original game. Were there any additional references/emails/conversations that would give us a better idea of exactly who it is Adam is hunting down?
    Jerion:

The DC edition does not alter the story, instead focusing on other things like graphics, level design and developer commentary. So if you want more on the Tyrants, for the known future Deus Ex: The Fall is where you'll find it. That said, The Missing Link did expand on Namir a tiny bit more through emails, and it is now integrated into the base game. So if you didn't play The Missing Link, the Director’s Cut will offer something new in this regard.

Originally Posted by tetracycloide
    So the WiiU has the controller screen, PS has the vita, and the xbox has smartglass. What does the PC use? Is there any kind of tablet or phone integration so that PC users can get the same functionality as the other systems get from attached touch screen devices?
    Jerion:

All the touchscreen does on the Wii U is serve as a secondary screen where things like the hacking display, inventory and such are placed (some Wii U-specific tools are also accessed through it). In translating the Director's Cut to the PC, you won't actually be losing anything, it'll be accessible as before with a mouse.

I've heard there would be changes/improvements to the AA but wasn't sure if that was specific to consoles. The current PC options are all just post-process injections, filters that make things blurry so the aliasing is less noticeable. Will the DC have real AA on the PC?
    Jerion:

I didn't get any technical details about AA implementations, but it was mentioned as a talking point for the Wii U version so I can assume that there is something new on that front.

About the boss fights:
    Was any of the content in Missing Link changed?
    Jerion:

That's actually a good question, one I don't think we thought to ask. Changes there would be minor- they are taking the lessons learned in TML (like the boss fight) and applying them to the rest of the game.

Far as boss fights go, the fights have all been revamped. We didn't get a look at the final fight but it has probably seen some improvements as well.

One thing I noticed playing through The Missing Link was that by the end I was still quite a bit behind in terms of unlocked augmentations compared to how much had been unlocked when I first climbed in the pod. How does the missing link 'factory reset' work now that the DLC has been integrated into the main game?
    Jerion:

I'm honestly not sure about that. We didn't get a look into that portion of the game and the interview was mostly focused on The Fall, so I can't give you an answer.

Originally Posted by KenTWOu
    Do you have a chance to discuss with devs this Namir one punch strategy? Is it bug or feature? Is it still there after they revamped that boss fight?
    Jerion:

The takedown trick was an exploit and has been fixed. What a shame.

Originally Posted by Shezmen
    When i was playing Deus Ex HR I noticed that almost all NPC animations (during dialogues) were looping a lot. Like if the gestures of the npc's were repeating every few seconds and was kinda awkward and breaking the immersion for me.

Did you fix this aspect in the Directors Cut and made it more realistic and less puppet-like?
    Ashpolt:

While the Director's Cut has received an overall presentation upgrade, this is mainly in the shaders and textures. As far as I'm aware, the animations are still the same, except where they're introduced new animations for the expanded boss fights.

Originally Posted by Captain Mazda
    Price point is an important question. Like many others, I purchased the special edition of the game at full price on Steam and the Missing Link DLC as well. There's no way I'm paying full price for what's essentially a patch.

A few questions that pop to my head:

1. When you say the graphics have been improved, how much are we talking here? The vanilla version did not look too good, even with DX11 and maxed out settings on PC. Have the models and textures been redone to make it look like a game from this decade?

2. NPCs used to glitch and float around during cutscenes. Has this been fixed?

3. Have the FMV cutscenes been improved at all? They were very low-res in the original.

4. Has the story been extended in any way, with the exception of the DLC integration?

5. I remember the voice acting was awful, especially for the Shanghai NPCs. Any chance they've improved any of that?

6. Any new music from Michael McCann?
    Ashpolt:

1. The overall look of the game isn't radically different, but the whole lot has been brought up to the level that we saw in The Missing Link. It's a noticeable upgrade, but not a radical one.

2. I can honestly say I never encountered this bug in the 65+ hours I spent on DXHR, and nor did I encounter it in the time I spent playing the Director's Cut, so...maybe?

3. I think the colour balance has improved a bit (they were really dark in the original release!) and I certainly didn't feel like they were as low res before, but that might simply be because I was playing on a 1080p screen rather than my home 2560 x 1440 monitor, so the comparative drop was less.

4. Nope. This is more of a coat of polish than an expansion.

5. We didn't get to see the Shanghai section in our demo, but the voice acting in the section we did play was identical, so I'd guess not.

6. Not as far as I'm aware, but it is confirmed that McCann has provided some new tracks for Deus Ex: The Fall if you'd like to hear some more of his work.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Agent Denton
    Will we see any of the locations added for this outing that were not included the first time around such as the Montreal city hub?
    Ashpolt:

No. Other than the re-done boss fights, there is no new content in this game: it's an enhanced version rather than an expansion or remake. They've improved on Human Revolution, but not added to it.

Originally Posted by CodenameD
    Is it true that the Director's Cut includes all the DLCs including TML and the Explosive Mission / Tactical Enhancement?
    Ashpolt:

It certainly includes The Missing Link, which is now worked into the main game rather than only being playable as an "aside". We didn't ask about the smaller DLCs - Tong's Rescue, Explose Mission / Tactical Enhancement, etc - but given that this is the "ultimate" version of DXHR, I would strongly expect they'll be in there.

Originally Posted by sny
    Do we HAVE to have a PS Vita or a tablet to play the Director's Cut on the PS3 or PC?
    Ashpolt:

No, if you don't have a Vita / tablet the game will play just fine without them, the option's just there for those who want it.

Originally Posted by CodenameD
    (1) They say DC has features like a better Energy Regen system. How exactly is it different from the vanilla version? Does all the batteries recharge over time?

(2) They also say there's a New Game Plus mode. Did you guys get to try it out? If you did, exactly which stats are carried over to the new game? Is the difficulty the same as before?
    Ashpolt:

Are you taking this information from the audio interview that was posted on here yesterday? If so, in both cases we were talking about The Fall here rather than Director's Cut. In The Fall though, the difference with the energy system is that you can upgrade to have two batteries recharge over time instead of one, and in New Game + your weapons, augs and XP carry over. They didn't mention a change in difficulty level IIRC.

Originally Posted by SpecX
    (1) Are the iron sights of the weapons still misaligned after attaching a laser sight and then aiming?

(2) Are the character models changed a little? I looked at this shot.

(3) Will the DC be available on Steam?

(4) Can you switch to third person?

Can you get the Plasma Rifle early in the game?
    Ashpolt:

1) I don't think I picked up a laser sight in the demo I played. To be honest I never really noticed this issue in the base game either. Not saying it wasn't there, just never noticed it.

2) The character models are the same as far as I'm aware, but the lighting and various other effects have been improved, which means the overall look of everything in the game world is somewhat better.

3) Pricing and distribution of the DC is still to be confirmed, but...yeah, you can be pretty confident it'll be on Steam.

4) No more or less than you could in the base game.

5) Very unlikely. The plasma rifle is an end game weapon, and getting it early would severely unbalance the game.

Originally Posted by Doozerpindan
    Oh, and probably the biggest issue of the game, how is the inventory management now? Do grenades etc stack now, how high does everything stack etc?
    Ashpolt:

As far as I'm aware the stack sizes in the inventory remain unchanged. This was a design decision intended to force you to really think about what you kept with you, and I doubt they'd want to backtrack on that.

Originally Posted by lolwot
    Does the Director's Cut have any new augmentations?
    Ashpolt:

Nope. It's "Human Revolution but better", rather than "Human Revolution plus more".

Can you give details on the changes to level design and enemy AI?
    Spyhopping:

For my first hand experience in changes to the AI- it was limited. We played a small slice of the Director's Cut, and I attempted to avoid interactions with the enemies for most of the demo. As I approached the boss battle with Barrett I snuck past most of the guards, and they seemed to respond to my sneaky play through in a similar way in which I've become accustomed to.

After a chaotic escape from some guards after I alerted them by accidentally throwing a grenade, (yes, I know) I got to the boss fight feeling so much happier that the level design had changed. You are able to approach it from a more varied angle which certainly suits my lighter play style as I usually can't compete with a head-on assault. I launched myself up a ladder, and into a vent; although Barrett stayed on the lower floor, he didn't stop trying to shred me on the other side of some wire mesh. Boss fights were my number one gripe with HR, and I'm really glad they've sorted them out here. I'm intrigued as to how the fights with Namir and Fedorova will have changed.

So, the level design is noticeably different; as in, it's not just an extra room here or an extra corridor there, it's actually genuinely different? That's nice to know, cos as much as I love playing HR through it'd be nice to have something new to explore.
    Jerion:

The level designs have apparently seen some tweaking in many places, but far and away the most drastic changes are to be found in the boss fights. The constraints here are a bit interesting; they have to make the environments match the pre-rendered cutscenes, but also expand them so that gameplay is more flexible than before. I rather like how they tackled this challenge in the Barrett fight. If you hadn't seen the vanilla version, you wouldn't think anything was amiss when going from the cutscene to the revamped version of the "arena". Yet they've doubled the amount of playable area.

Will it be available for free?

There was an E3 vid where the DC showed the Wii U controller on the screen while the game was playing. Was this done for presentation purposes or does the Wii U controller actually pop up on the lower left corner and stay there?

This was just presentation purposes so you could see both screens in the E3 vid. During the actual game the controller screen remains on the controller.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Originally Posted by Master Taffer
    Thanks! When the DC was first shown I said that was the case, however, the E3 vid had me confused because everything was in sync with Adams movements.

How was the AI?

How was the AI?
    Shaders were improved across the board, so it looks incrementally better. Compared against the vanilla 360 and PS3 versions it looks better, but the resolution and AA capabilities of the Wii U version don't come close to what a PC can do. When the Director's Cut hits the PC, it will be the best looking of the lot.

AI is somewhat improved to be a bit more dynamic, intelligent and in a some cases more aggressive than in the vanilla versions.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

Originally Posted by Jerion
    Shaders were improved across the board, so it looks incrementally better. Compared against the vanilla 360 and PS3 versions it looks better, but the resolution and AA capabilities of the Wii U version don't come close to what a PC can do. When the Director's Cut hits the PC, it will be the best looking of the lot.

It seems like you all had a fun time at E3 so can you shed some light about the overall experience? Also, was there anything, game or hardware, that caught you off guard at E3?

How about prerendered cutscenes? Are they still low resolution and three times darker than the rest of the game?

Is there a release date for the Wii U version?

Will the 360/PS3 version have separate Achievements/Trophies to the original? (It appears in the Achievement/Trophy list as a different game, Arkham Asylum GOTY style)

Originally Posted by USER47
    They only had the Wii U version on tap, so in terms of resolution there was little noticeable difference. The Cutscenes appeared identical to the old versions, but the game actually appears to cover a wider range of light and dark thanks to the improved shaders, so it looks closer to the cutscenes now.

Originally Posted by Jerion
    When the Director's Cut hits the PC, it will be the best looking of the lot.
    Was there word on this being a thing that might actually happen?
    signature image

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    Was there word on this being a thing that might actually happen?
    Not yet, that hasn't quite been nailed down. The decision to take it to multiple platforms has made the release date uncertain.

First:

Thank you all so much! This thread is terrific. I've been crossing my fingers for a while for a director's cut. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Second:

Did you get any sense of the Tyrants being more fleshed out? I'm not talking about the boss battles themselves - those seem vastly improved (yay!)

I'm talking about actually getting to know who they are before we duel them all to the death. I can't even remember the female Tyrant's name off the top of my head - she was that much of a non-entity in the original game. Were there any additional references/emails/conversations that would give us a better idea of exactly who it is Adam is hunting down?

Originally Posted by Pillowman
    First: Thank you all so much! This thread is terrific. I've been crossing my fingers for a while for a director's cut. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Second, question:

Oh! I'm sorry, I was thinking that this was in The Fall thread. Discount my (now deleted) reply. The DC edition does not really alter the story (especially the parts with acting), instead focusing on other things like graphics, level design and developer commentary. So if you want more on the Tyrants, for the known future The Fall is where you'll find it.

That said, The Missing Link did expand on Namir a little bit more through emails, and it is now integrated into the base game. So if you didn't play The Missing Link, this will offer something new in this regard.

So the WiiU has the controler screen, PS has the vita, and the xbox has smartglass. What does the PC use? Is there any kind of tablet or phone integration so that PC users can get the same functionality as the other systems get from attached touch screen devices?

So the WiiU has the controler screen, PS has the vita, and the xbox has smartglass. What does the PC use? Is there any kind of tablet or phone integration so that PC users can get the same functionality as the other systems get from attached touch screen devices?
    All the touchscreen does on the Wii U is serve as a secondary screen where things like the hacking display, inventory and such are placed (some Wii U-specific tools are also accessed through it). In translating the Director's Cut to the PC, you won't actually be losing anything, it'll be accessible as before with a mouse. This is pure speculation on my part, but it could end up that there might companion apps (such as for iOS or Android) that could replicate the platform-agnostic features though.

I know the secondary screen is just another way of presenting the same information (hacking, inventory, and such) but the idea of having the map up on a separate screen and/or device, for example, is pretty nice. I also really want a touch interface for the hacking mini-game. It seems like it was built with one in mind and navigating the nodes would be much faster than a mouse or a gamepad.

I've heard there would be changes/improvements to the AA but wasn't sure if that was specific to consoles. The current PC options are all just post-process injections, filters that make things blurry so the aliasing is less noticeable. Will the DC have real AA on the PC?

I didn't get any technical details about AA implementations, but it was mentioned as a talking point so I can assume that there is something new on that front.

About the boss fights:

Originally Posted by 68_pie
    Will it be available for free?
    Was price-point discussed at all? You can say you don't know if you don't know.

Price point is still being decided, so there is no clear answer on that.

About the boss fights:
    That's actually a good question, one I don't think we thought to ask. Changes there would be minor- they are taking the lessons learned in TML (like the boss fight) and applying them to the rest of the game.

Far as boss fights go, the fights have all been revamped. We didn't get a look at the final fight but it has probably seen some improvements as well.

One thing I noticed playing through The Missing Link was that by the end I was still quite a bit behind in terms of unlocked augmentations compared to how much had been unlocked when I first climbed in the pod. How does the missing link 'factory reset' work now that the DLC has been integrated into the main game?

Thanks so much for all your responses Jerion!

Thanks so much for all your responses Jerion!
    Happy to do it!

I'm honestly not sure about that. We didn't get a look into that portion of the game and the interview was mostly focused on The Fall, so I can't give you an answer. I'll double check with Adam though, I'm sure we can get a clear answer to this.

Once the others have had a chance to rest, I'm sure Spyhopping will have plenty to say and you won't be able to get Ashpolt to stop talking about anything!

Still travelling home, but will get involved here soon!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... Last