Thread: THIEF - Voice Actors/Cast & Game Characters - General Discussion

THIEF - Voice Actors/Cast & Game Characters - General Discussion

Originally Posted by knox140
    Yeah... I was thinking after watching the Uprising trailer that maybe Stephen Russell's voice wouldn't have fit the grimmer tone of the reboot as well as Romano's does. He was amazing when the game was a bit more light-hearted, with Benny the Guard etc., his voice added a sense of comedy that contrasted with the moronic guards that perhaps wouldn't fit so well in a game with a grittier tone. I don't know. Just opinions, I know that there are many others that would disagree with this, but I think the change in tone of the game justifies the change in voice actor far better than the statement about the voice actors doing the mocap ever did.
    Thief 2 was not light-hearted. In fact, none of the previous games were. It was simply Garrett's personality. He brought those snarky comments into the darkness. Garrett joked about the scary and evil things he was seeing.

...and that's just the problem, isn't it? This isn't Garrett. This is someone else. Someone who doesn't talk, act, or think like Garrett. You can say that the grim tone of this reboot is a better justification than lipsynch animations, but it's still fundamentally grounded on a mistake by the developers. They got Garrett wrong, and that's why this new voice fits the character better. Whoop-de-taffin-doo.

Originally Posted by knox140
    Yeah... I was thinking after watching the Uprising trailer that maybe Stephen Russell's voice wouldn't have fit the grimmer tone of the reboot as well as Romano's does. He was amazing when the game was a bit more light-hearted, with Benny the Guard etc., his voice added a sense of comedy that contrasted with the moronic guards that perhaps wouldn't fit so well in a game with a grittier tone.
    Let's not make it sound like classic Thief was a sitcom, though. I'm not sure light-hearted is an accurate description for the whole package, there were only elements of that. There were funny moments but you were still meant to take the setting and storyline seriously.

Just opinions, I know that there are many others that would disagree with this, but I think the change in tone of the game justifies the change in voice actor
    The question is what justifies the change in tone.

Originally Posted by HERESY
    Great find! I don't think this was ever posted.
    signature image
    I am the shadow on the wall.

It was posted a while back, but it was good to see again. Thank you.

"What would Garrett do?"(TM)

Originally Posted by HERESY
    Funny how a video recorded some time in june was uploaded this month as if it's new.

And yes it was posted ages ago. -Actually by the moderators if I recall correctly. Or maybe it was Adam himself. Probably, since its his video.

Great concept art. I sense a dark emotion from the Northcrest faces. Snobbery and cruel disdain toward the poor suffering townsfolk perhaps...but it looks to me like they have their own dull and miserable existence to deal with.

As DarknessFalls says, it is interesting that the boy holds a gear cog in his hand. I just hope he doesn't grow up to be a sociopath genius like Karras.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    Great concept art. I sense a dark emotion from the Northcrest faces. Snobbery and cruel disdain toward the poor, suffering townsfolk perhaps...but it looks to me like they have their own dull and miserable existence to deal with.

As DarknessFalls says, it is interesting that the boy holds a gear cog in his hand. I just hope he doesn't grow up to be a sociopath genius like Karras.
    Maybe he IS Karras .

'Tis an alternate universe after all.

Indeed.
    signature image

Speaking of which, I know the old factions won't have a major part in the new Thief, but can we at least have some archaic English here and there? The lingo is one of the things that made Thief's factions unique.

Yes, originally posted by Adam on this forum and also on EM's Community site.
    http://community.eidosmontreal.com/
    signature image

Wait. While there is no visual storytelling, text says something new. What's a "thief taker general"? Is it something from underworld or a bizarre official title?

Originally Posted by deadoptimist
    Wait. While there is no visual storytelling, text says something new. What's a "thief taker general"? Is it something from underworld or a bizarre official title?
    Dunno, but it reminds me of "ladytaker" mentioned in Cragscleft.

Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity
    Thief 2 was not light-hearted. In fact, none of the previous games were. It was simply Garrett's personality. He brought those snarky comments into the darkness. Garrett joked about the scary and evil things he was seeing.

...and that's just the problem, isn't it? This isn't Garrett. This is someone else. Someone who doesn't talk, act, or think like Garrett. You can say that the grim tone of this reboot is a better justification than lipsynch animations, but it's still fundamentally grounded on a mistake by the developers. They got Garrett wrong, and that's why this new voice fits the character better. Whoop-de-taffin-doo.
    There WERE some darker moments in the Thief games, I'm not denying that. But then you hear something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aH4coe_VYY

A game that has things like this IS light-hearted. A game that has even a small bit of comedy is light hearted. And the comedy DIDN'T just come from Garrett's personality. Garrett was witty, he was satirical, and he was sarcastic. But I wouldn't use the word "funny" to describe Garrett's personality. No, the comedy in Thief came from the NPCs.

As for this being Garrett, I'm inclined to disagree with you. Some say he's not, others say he is. I can't argue my point of view further than saying that from what I've heard of the dialogue, Garrett's personality is still there. It's all opinion though, and I understand why there are a lot of upset fans.

Oh, so that's what happening. I hope that Garrett won't have an amnesia or something, and we won't have to discover what happened during that year. And that there won't be a plot twist when Erin comes back to life.

I feel that there is an easy mode in the plot now too. Garrett comes back after a year so that the players won't be thrown into his normal life just like that - it's a good justification for tutorials and info feed. There are lots of feels now to make you emotionally immersed into the character. Otherwise the players may not sync well with a sociopatic withdrawn guy.

I don't know why there is need to deconstruct Garrett's character, why he must be given something he can't deal with, especially before this new version of him is established. First of all, I don't think that there is anything wrong with enjoying an old, familiar character if you like him - why break something that works? And even if Garrett is imagined anew - why we can't play simply as thief (isn't it the point?), without personal drama? Secondly, I think that the classic Garrett has a perfectly interesting conflict of his own - he is pretty complex, often dishonest with himself, reluctant to accept what he is. Giving him feels over a dead companion as the main motivation is not an improvement.

I, probably, won't be able to make myself care for Erin, so I'll be irritated every time new Garrett's guilt or grieving trip starts.

why we can't play simply as thief (isn't it the point?), without personal drama? .

For me personally, I'd hate a game that was just playing as a thief without any personal drama.
    A huge selling point of the original games for me was Garrett's character, and cutting that out kills it for me. (part of the reason why I dislike Thief Gold so much is because my cutscenes don't work. Yeah the gameplay is still good and you're going around doing thiefy things, but without the backstory or motivation, it kills my enthusiasm for the game)

Originally Posted by NyteSama
    For me personally, I'd hate a game that was just playing as a thief without any personal drama.
    A huge selling point of the original games for me was Garrett's character, and cutting that out kills it for me. (part of the reason why I dislike Thief Gold so much is because my cutscenes don't work. Yeah the gameplay is still good and you're going around doing thiefy things, but without the backstory or motivation, it kills my enthusiasm for the game)
    I don't mean a thieving sim without plot - I do like a good story in a game myself. I just don't know what's an exploration of feeling of loss doing in a Thief game? Especially since Garrett has never been very social or caring - and many players, me included, love him specifically for that. I'm sure that there're better settings to explore loss and better things to do as a thief.

I don't mean a thieving sim without plot - I do like a good story in a game myself. I just don't know what's an exploration of feeling of loss doing in a Thief game? Especially since Garrett has never been very social or caring - and many players, me included, love him specifically for that. I'm sure that there're better settings to explore loss and better things to do as a thief.
    I cant see him as a "go out and get drinks with friends" sort of person, but I don't really see him as completely shut-out and apathetic either. I don't see a problem with eventually getting roped into a conflict in the city, or even picking up an apprentice because he does have the capability to form some sort of relationship with other characters, though such a thing would be rare
    But that's my interpretation of the character.
    We've all got different interpretations of his character is all.

I cant see him as a "go out and get drinks with friends" sort of person, but I don't really see him as completely shut-out and apathetic either. I don't see a problem with eventually getting roped into a conflict in the city, or even picking up an apprentice because he does have the capability to form some sort of relationship with other characters, though such a thing would be rare
    But that's my interpretation of the character.
    We've all got different interpretations of his character is all.
    Of course. But that's more a question of... quantity? I feel that Garrett grieving for a loss of someone is very out of character. And making it the main premise of the game is wrong beyond slight differencies of interpretation that fans have.
    Also, I admit, I don't like such episodes. I've seen it many types in popular fiction: you start with an active, interesting character, then he gets some type of psychological trauma and it suddenly is 10 tomes of feels and self-loathing. And flashbacks, god, please, let there be no flashbacks in the new Thief...

Of course. But that's more a question of... quantity? I feel that Garrett grieving for a loss of someone is very out of character. And making it the main premise of the game is wrong beyond slight differencies of interpretation that fans have.
    Also, I admit, I don't like such episodes. I've seen it many types in popular fiction: you start with an active, interesting character, then he gets some type of psychological trauma and it suddenly is 10 tomes of feels and self-loathing.
    Well at the moment we don't know how much this plays into the story. Heck, it may just be a little bit of backstory, and the reason why he prefers to not kill people or something.
    The little demo we saw so far was pretty late into the game supposedly, and from Garrett's dialogue it didn't sound like he was focusing on any grieving, so I don't think we should expect to see a whole lot of that,
    but a little bit for a few minutes seems natural

Also, I admit, I don't like such episodes. I've seen it many types in popular fiction: you start with an active, interesting character, then he gets some type of psychological trauma and it suddenly is 10 tomes of feels and self-loathing. And flashbacks, god, please, let there be no flashbacks in the new Thief...
    It's out of character for the old Garrett. The new Garrett has a few similarities to the old, but he's fundamentally a different person. Do we even know if this Garrett was trained by the Keepers? He might have picked up his knowledge of glyphs by other means. Was a Viktoria part of his past? Did a Karras even exist in this timeline?

Whaaaat.

Thief: Gold without cutscenes is completely incomplete, you are right. I wouldn't even *try* to play it without them.

Have you tried using tfix on it? And moving it into an unprotected folder? If all else fails you can play the movie files directly from the game's directory.

I disagree when you said Garrett is a sociopath. Anti-social personality yes, but he clearly has a sense if empathy, just suppressed. He's a man who can't allow himself to feel, not a man who can't feel. Also when Stephen Gallagher said this is his biggest challenge, that makes him more the type of character you suggest than if he had said that he had dealt with loss plenty of times before. But I realise it's the very idea of getting attached in the first place you have a problem with... I guess he just slipped up, and managed to care when he wasn't paying attention.

The main concern I have with it all is that Erin does sound like the sociopath you suggest. I'm not understanding how Garrett could feel regret at the loss of this particular person.

I feel that Garrett grieving for a loss of someone is very out of character.
    Well, setting aside that this isn't classic Garrett, it would be a testament to their story-telling if they can make us believe it. I think it doesn't go beyond possibility, just likelihood.

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger

The main concern I have with it all is that Erin does sound like the sociopath you suggest. I'm not understanding how Garrett could feel regret at the loss of this particular person.
    That puzzles me, too. It seems like it would take something big for him to feel regret for her. Bit of a cliche, but maybe she saved his life at some point.

Well at the moment we don't know how much this plays into the story. Heck, it may just be a little bit of backstory, and the reason why he prefers to not kill people or something.
    The little demo we saw so far was pretty late into the game supposedly, and from Garrett's dialogue it didn't sound like he was focusing on any grieving, so I don't think we should expect to see a whole lot of that,
    but a little bit for a few minutes seems natural
    According to the Polygon article it is almost the main point of character building: http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/21/464...-gamescom-2013

Originally Posted by Maijstral
    It's out of character for the old Garrett. The new Garrett has a few similarities to the old, but he's fundamentally a different person. Do we even know if this Garrett was trained by the Keepers? He might have picked up his knowledge of glyphs by other means. Was a Viktoria part of his past? Did a Karras even exist in this timeline?
    We know that nothing of this is true for the new Garrett. I guess I'm always a bit too optimistic - I hoped that the personality would remain more or less the same.

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger
    I disagree when you said Garrett is a sociopath. Anti-social personality yes, but he clearly has a sense if empathy, just suppressed. He's a man who can't allow himself to feel, not a man who can't feel. Also when Stephen Gallagher said this is his biggest challenge, that makes him more the type of character you suggest than if he had said that he had dealt with loss plenty of times before. But I realise it's the very idea of getting attached in the first place you have a problem with... I guess he just slipped up, and managed to care when he wasn't paying attention.

Well, setting aside that this isn't classic Garrett, it would be a testament to their story-telling if they can make us believe it. I think it doesn't go beyond possibility, just likelihood.
    Maybe I shouldn't use the term so lightly. Still my point is that he shouldn't be turned in tsundere. And feeling of loss suggests that deep bonds were formed - this is strange for Garrett I know from previous games. Stranger even is that he admits it so openly. Especially, as you've said, if he had disagreements with Erin before and doesn't like her style.
    Ther is a possibilty that they'll do it right, but I've been into rogue popular fiction since I completed Thief games, and every time plot goes deep into relationships and feelings, the story becomes slow and boring.

I'm always a bit too optimistic - I hoped that the personality would remain more or less the same.
    The real Garrett never cared about people. Everything was a business. You do one thing for someone else, and expect something in return. The real Garrett also has no moral issue regarding killing. He simply avoids it because of egomania. He wants to constantly reassure himself that he's the professional. That he's the best. That also explains the ridiculous loot goals he always sets himself.

This Garrett in Thief 4 is totally different. He cared about another person so much that her loss caused him to become the pacifist he is. He doesn't share the real Garrett's misanthropy, and he doesn't share his motivations to non-violence. According to the trailers, he doesn't even remotely share the down-to-earth regular person way of speaking. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to have long, blonde hair.

Oh, and before anyone jumps at the old Garrett's connection to Viktoria to somehow disprove his dislike of people, you do remember that it was a curse, right? She put the blood-oath spell on both, forcing them to work together against the mechanists, even if it meant the death of both of them.

Page 5 of 15 First First 123456789 ... Last