Thread: THIEF - Voice Actors/Cast & Game Characters - General Discussion

THIEF - Voice Actors/Cast & Game Characters - General Discussion

I guess this explains who Erin is.
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/21/464...-gamescom-2013

Thank you for sharing this.

Story seems way better than i expected - actually i was prepared for some really cheesy crap, but this might as well be the sequel story to TDS:

Gallagher said Garrett's story begins with Erin, a young woman who has fled the servitude of a brothel and taken to the streets. Garrett, seeing her skill in pickpocketing, takes her under his wing and is determined to make her a master thief. But Erin is quick to kill and actually seems to enjoy the act, so after several years of pilfering partnership the two part ways.

Now it's official. Eidos Montréal never wanted to make a Thief game. They were making something but their masters forced them to tie it with an existing IP that they had the rights to. Thief is now officially keeping less than it's removing, and it's no longer justified to call it Thief or the character Garrett. There's nothing about that character backstory that fits with Garrett.

This forum is like one of those 4chan photoshop threads. We ask "EM, can you please do this, and not that?" -and without exception the response is always "Trololo we do that."

It's so caricatureshly Noir!

Garrett taking a protege, and more specifically, the girl as a protege was straight from my "NOOO" list. Well, at least she's dying - presumably in the beginning of the story. If there had to be any kind of love story, suffering a bitter loss does seem the most fitting to me and the least out of place for Garrett.

Thanks for sharing, Jace!
    ~You reap what you sow~

I don't think she really died, that's just what Garrett thinks. Probably she will return mid-game by sabotaging Garretts raids and trying to kill him.

You can put that on my "NOOO" list as well.
    ~You reap what you sow~

Thanks for sharing this info, Jace.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

"In my dreams I see her dying."

So yeah, here we go, I guess.
    ~You reap what you sow~

Originally Posted by Nightwynd
    You can put that on my "NOOO" list as well.
    Could be so much worse. I am afraid she comes back and Garrett still feels guilty and has strong feelings for her.

True. IMO, it would be best to keep her dead, though.
    ~You reap what you sow~

11. Thanks for sharing, Jace_Auditore! That helped.

Really excited for the story now It sounds super good. I do hope they keep her dead. Best way to go in my opinion.

Originally Posted by NIB
    Probably she will return mid-game by sabotaging Garretts raids and trying to kill him.
    Originally Posted by NIB
    Could be so much worse. I am afraid she comes back and Garrett still feels guilty and has strong feelings for her.
    These scenarios are not mutually exclusive.

This is all our fault. Thief went downhill so fast because we were giving too many directions uphill to the troll who was in the wheel. We are like liberals are to the republicans. The opposite of everything we say needs to be implemented.

As bad as it feels admitting it, I guess contrarian was in our side afterall. If everything he advocated would have been taken into consideration by EM, they would have produced the opposite of it all, and thus made the perfect Thief game. We all should have been trolling the troll that is Eidos Montréal, so that it would have taken the bait and given us what we want by accident.

Originally Posted by Nightwynd
    "In my dreams..."
    Garrett is now a confirmed Dokken fan.

Boy, the more you peel the onion...
    signature image

I fear there won't be much left to peel soon. I'm more pro-not-showing-everything-explicitly. Utilizing imagination is such a powerful tool. A shame it's used so little.
    ~You reap what you sow~

Garrett and Erin fall from building.
    Garrett blacks out, thinks Erin is dead.
    Garrett returns to The City, revolution in progress.
    Erin returns from the dead as the primary villain.
    Garrett is forced to kill her.

Predictable - and not very original.

Originally Posted by brethren
    Garrett and Erin fall from building.
    Garrett blacks out, thinks Erin is dead.
    Garrett returns to The City, revolution in progress.
    Erin returns from the dead as the primary villain.
    Garrett is forced to kill her.

Predictable - and not very original.
    Thief stories have never been that original or unpredictable. The only totally sneak-attack twist in the series was Gamall's connection to Lauryl. The problem is not the predictability of this story, the problem is the characterization that leads to that predictable story. Garrett is not some normal human with his emotions buried deep within by some trauma. The only thing you should be able to find inside Garrett after digging through trauma, is Garrett. -Not that everyday regular human emotion and human interaction. I think we should have more mental deviants writing the stories for games and movies. People who know with absolute certainty that there can be people who are different from others. The contrast they see between themselves and the majority helps them imagine other types of contrasts between the majority and other types of deviant personalities.

And what makes this story predictable is the unnecessary deeper humanization of Garrett. If this character was really designed based on what Garrett is actually like, it would be less predictable, because normal people are not like Garrett. Normal people avoid murder because it's wrong. Less normal people avoid it because it's illegal. Garrett avoids it because he's a self-gratifying egomaniac. How many Thief players are self-gratifying egomaniacs? Not many because usually the Call of Duty and Thief audiences are pretty mutually exclusive.

By the way, I only watched one briefing clip from Thief 2 and it clashes with everything that EM has revealed about their version of Garrett. What was it that they said... we want to "stay true to the roots"? -Congratulations. They did as good a job at staying true to the roots as the Pakistani intelligence community did at catching Bin Laden next door.

Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity
    Now it's official. Eidos Montréal never wanted to make a Thief game. They were making something but their masters forced them to tie it with an existing IP that they had the rights to. Thief is now officially keeping less than it's removing, and it's no longer justified to call it Thief or the character Garrett. There's nothing about that character backstory that fits with Garrett.

This forum is like one of those 4chan photoshop threads. We ask "EM, can you please do this, and not that?" -and without exception the response is always "Trololo we do that."
    Welp, that's what you get for giving too much trust to a studio, which proved itself only once. Also, Thief devs are not DXHR devs, so it's like trusting a right-handed man to do complex stuff with his left hand.

For now, I'm unimpressed with writing details. It's like 'I can't into complexity, so I'll put a dumb love story here, a gayish character there... and some stupid reason for the whirlwind of poo happening around riiight there, then make it simple enough to allow low-grade teenager to understand it'.

So, my predictions are:
    It's boring.
    It's stupid.
    It seems to be worse than DMC. DMC had awful writing and poor character design, but still had decent gameplay. Here? I dunno. After Stephane Roy so 'lightly' suggested that today's gamer is a degenerate to justify dumbing down the entire concept - I seriously don't know.

I'm a little confused by the description of him going unconscious and waking up a year later. Maybe it was just worded poorly.

I'm not feeling this story so far. Maybe it's skewed by my using classic Garrett as a reference point, but you can't blame me for that. If I try to imagine this is someone else bearing Garrett's name, my response is neutral. Otherwise negative.

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger
    I'm not feeling this story so far. Maybe it's skewed by my using classic Garrett as a reference point, but you can't blame me for that. If I try to imagine this is someone else bearing Garrett's name, my response is neutral. Otherwise negative.
    Yeah, the character is nothing like Garrett anymore, all the way to the voice. Years ago, the sentiment was: "We want Garrett and Stephen Russell, but no Garrett without him." -And whaddya know, EM picked the worst case scenario and implemented that because it was the worst they could possibly do. Now they went even further than that, and made the character nothing like Garrett, still insisting on using that name just to rub it in everyone's faces. They simply want total disappointed all around from anyone with expectations of any kind. I think they should just publicly come out and admit that not only had they no intentions of making this a worthy follow-up to the series, they actively want to make it unworthy by finding out what needs to be in a Thief game and implementing the opposite.

What does GTA5 need? Guns, crime, cars, humor, interesting characters and an open world. Therefore Eidos Montréal's take on GTA5: Linear baseball management game with boring drama around one-dimensional characters.

I don't mind the story there, but would've preferred something different. Especially glad Erin dies and hope it stays that way so we don't have a constant companion playing along with us or someone to pass the torch to at the end of the game. Not too thrilled that he wanted to take her under his wing (I prefer loner Garrett much more). I wonder who took care of him for a year (I don't like that someone did, thus making him less mysterious of a shadowy figure to someone or some people (the Graven?) unless it was Basso). So far a burning bridge and a shaking house... what other epic cinematic catastrophes can we witness in a game I've always enjoyed the subtle understatedness of before? I could be off-base and hope I am, but the game is starting to sound like to me that it exists as a theme park for us, the player, to be entertained by... throwing things at us to remind us we're just gamers, rather than plopping us in a world that has no clue we, the gamer, are in it.

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    I don't mind the story there, but would've preferred something different. Especially glad Erin dies and hope it stays that way so we don't have a constant companion playing along with us or someone to pass the torch to at the end of the game.
    I doubt that's happening. Erin sounds like a psychopath. I'm not sure why Garrett would consider her death a loss. He clearly disapproves of her, and I would find it very hard to like a Garrett that didn't.

Maybe Erin is the in-game symbolisation of those taffers who 'don't play correctly' or treat the game like an action game.

Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity
    They simply want total disappointed all around from anyone with expectations of any kind. I think they should just publicly come out and admit that not only had they no intentions of making this a worthy follow-up to the series, they actively want to make it unworthy by finding out what needs to be in a Thief game and implementing the opposite.
    Are you OK?

Thumbs Up New Thief concept art - The Thief Taker General / The Family Northcrest

Hey guys - check these out:

http://thiefgame.tumblr.com/post/590...f-which-one-is

The Thief Taker General

The Family Northcrest

Enjoy

Bi gears.

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger
    Are you OK?
    I'm okay. Thief isn't. For years we talked about how TDS did body awareness poorly and we gave EM ideas on how to do it properly. EM made it worse. For years we talked about Garrett needing Stephen Russell, and graphics not being that important in a game. EM got rid of Russell for the sake of graphics. For years we talked about what Garrett really is like, how he steals to survive and what kind of chracter he is. EM made stealing a game mechanic instead of a job, and changed Garrett's character. For years we talked about Deadly Shadows only having 2 colors, dark blue and orange. EM didn't add any colors, and actually desaturated the blue and orange. For years we talked about the balance of magic and steampunk that makes the Thief world so unique. EM went out of its way to weed out the supernatural physical laws of the world.

I made a joke about what would be the stupidest possible reason to justify contextual jumping. EM adopted that as the official stance on the matter.

That is what a troll does. You ask for something, and they give you exactly what you don't want because you asked for that so they got a clear idea what you don't want. You ask someone to photoshop a photobomber out of your wedding picture, and a troll photoshops your wedding out of the photobombing picture, just like you didn't ask.

Page 3 of 15 First First 123456713 ... Last