Thread: THIEF - Voice Actors/Cast & Game Characters - General Discussion

THIEF - Voice Actors/Cast & Game Characters - General Discussion

Basso's voice sounds fine to me. Is it the accent you don't like?
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I think it's less that he is significantly changed from "Old Basso" (who was barely a character to begin with), and more that he sounds like a generic schmuck from Jersey. The actor playing him is making choices that seem based on wiseguy cliches, which is pretty unappealing if he's going to be one of Garrett's key human contacts throughout the game.

I could go either way right now. No point in judging the entire character (or game) based off relatively haphazard promotional materials. I'll see what the reviews/forum members say when it's released.

I like his "cheeky chappy" type persona but, yeah, its difficult to judge the entire character at this point.
    signature image

If I may ask, and I am in no way trying to disagree with you, but what exactly is it about the Jersey Schmuck accent that people find so disagreeable for Basso? When I think of people who do dirty business, I tend to think of jersey mobsters. The accent has a tinge of "Eyy, I'm ya average joe but I'm also pretty corrupt" feel to it. Maybe they figured he fits a certain stereotype? Now that being said, I do feel that they could have picked something that better fits the world of Thief.

I mean, they could have gone with a Cockney accent.

...Actually that would have been a lot better.

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    its difficult to judge the entire character at this point.
    Damn, there's a lot of "we'll have to wait and see" stuff going on here... We have writing, level design, mission length, whether the contextual movement system works, whether the feedback system works, voice acting, whether the references to the originals are satisfactory, how good the story is, whether it feels like Thief...

I am really interested to see whose opinions change on the game after they've played it. Expect many polls in the next 2 months.

I love the cockney accent... I love Londoners.
    signature image

The London accent is nowhere near Cockney... I get the feeling that my accent is actually kinda posh. Do you watch Sherlock/Doctor Who? That's pretty much what we sound like here in London Town.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ecycHAZtaM

Originally Posted by knox140
    The London accent is nowhere near Cockney...
    I know. I was stating my love for both things... the accent and London people; not that they are the same thing.
    Camden is my favourite haunt... but I love all of good ol' London town.
    I'm there again next month to watch Lee Scratch Perry. Excited!
    signature image

Originally Posted by knox140
    Damn, there's a lot of "we'll have to wait and see" stuff going on here... We have writing, level design, mission length, whether the contextual movement system works, whether the feedback system works, voice acting, whether the references to the originals are satisfactory, how good the story is, whether it feels like Thief...
    To be fair, these are mostly issues that can only be resolved by playing the game itself. The same kinds of questions could be asked of any game that has yet to be released.

As for the Jersey Schmuck accent, it's less the accent and more the cliches that come along with it. I simply worry, based on what we've seen, that Basso will be a generic Jersey Schmuck pasted into The City, rather than a truly fleshed out and specific character who happens to have a Jersey accent.

There's a lot riding on this, though. These are all things that people have taken great issue with (maybe not mission length and level design so much, we just haven't seen anything of them yet and people are curious), which isn't so common with other titles.

Originally Posted by Pillowman
    As for the Jersey Schmuck accent, it's less the accent and more the cliches that come along with it. I simply worry, based on what we've seen, that Basso will be a generic Jersey Schmuck pasted into The City, rather than a truly fleshed out and specific character who happens to have a Jersey accent.
    Aah, I completely understand what you meant now. Your concern sounds entirely legitimate.

Almost one month to go!

Originally Posted by Derpette

Almost one month to go!
    After so many years... this sounds surreal.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Pillowman
    I think it's less that he is significantly changed from "Old Basso" (who was barely a character to begin with), and more that he sounds like a generic schmuck from Jersey. The actor playing him is making choices that seem based on wiseguy cliches, which is pretty unappealing if he's going to be one of Garrett's key human contacts throughout the game.
    Yep. NuBasso is the voice acting I dislike the most of anything I've heard so far for exactly the reason you've stated.

I really like this (almost poetical) line from Basso. Its one of my favourites so far.
    "That’s unless you were one of The City’s, well, let’s call them ‘less salubrious entrepreneurs.’ Then you’d know me, because they all know me. Some of them owe me too. Or I owe them..."
    My ultimate fave line, so far, is Garrett's "I'm no saviour".
    signature image

"There are worse things in the shadows than you..." is probably my favourite.

Yeah, that is a good one too. Spooked me a bit.
    signature image

Originally Posted by JNU
    HOW DID THIS:

TURN INTO THIS?

WTF
    Why?..
    They have same gestures and facial expression!

I've got a hat like Basso's. Its one of my favourites.
    signature image

I've never found a hat type that looked good on me. I've always gone with hoods because of it.

Not that I'm complaining.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

I like the look of the new Basso even though I'm not mad on the voice it dosen't really bother me as he didn't really talk that much ingame to Garrett from what I remember.
    signature image
    I am the shadow on the wall.

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    I've got a hat like Basso's. Its one of my favourites.
    Top hats are the best hats! Does it also sport a feather?

Originally Posted by Derpette
    Top hats are the best hats! Does it also sport a feather?

Yay. I have found another forum soul-mate.
    Yep, I'll dress it up with feathers and a long silk scarf... and my fave goggles in steampunk fashion.Like Linda Perry's.
    A blast from the past, enjoy the music.

signature image

Originally Posted by JNU
    HOW DID THIS:

TURN INTO THIS?

WTF

It's called - Eidos is just using the names from the classic games and slapping them on obviously different people.

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    I'm with you, JNU. Don't try to explain, though, I already have ... With his appearance and voice... and some will think you're being rediculous. How can you possibly have an idea of what Basso should look like from a low-poly model; or what he should sound like from one sentence spoken? Master Taffer discounted my thoughts as such, and Viktoria agrees with him probably about 95% of the time (not making fun, V, it's just how it is... and a bit vice versa); so I feel like i know where this conversation would go.

It's a bit of a trap to clarify thoughts on something you think is obvious and speaks for itself.
    The only thing ridiculous is someone choosing to pretend like these are the same people from the classic games.

I chuckled.
    I could be wrong, but I don't believe anyone is "pretending" anything... just that some people quite like EM's reimagining of Basso; including myself.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Meridius
    It's called - Eidos is just using the names from the classic games and slapping them on obviously different people.

The only thing ridiculous is someone choosing to pretend like these are the same people from the classic games.
    Here was the old post by MT that I was referring to, if curious: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1955195&

One could easily create a high-poly version of Basso and a voice that is more in-line with how he was originally characterized, if they wanted. EM didn't want to, so that's their call. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it or get why they did it . No matter how small of performance Basso gave, there's still enough there to expand upon using that as the basis. I don't detect a strong Jersey accent in Basso's classic line, for one.

Page 11 of 15 First First ... 789101112131415 Last