Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PC Patch Released - 1.01.748.0 - May 22th 2013

Played the whole game for the second time now.I would just like to thanks CD and Nixxes for making this amazing game.

I would like to ask why cut-scenes are so demanding?Hardly get 60fps in cut-scenes. Any particular reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Lantea View Post
    You can't be comparing different games that are built on different engines and use different ways of utilising system resources.

Some games are more GPU intensive some more CPU intensive and some need ton more ram than others. Each game has different requirements, and even when you can run some game like BF3 or Crysis on high with just an i3 then perhaps they are built to be less CPU and more GPU intensive.

But I don't know what you expect with just an i3 which is a crappy CPU when it comes to high quality gaming, get an i7 and you would probably see a huge improvement.
    I was playing on a laptop most of the time and have just a 6770m gpu there but an i7 CPU and I never noticed any frame drops.
    The thing is as i said i´m running with a crossfire HD 7970 and a i7 975 processor and i cannot run those areas at 60 FPS, so i made a question still not answered by the developpers, what PC do we need to do that? I presume they tested it before. In my opinion if that machine does not exist, or when you reach a certain good machine there´s no improvement if you get one better (bottleneck), theres´s still an optimization issue with these areas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
    The thing is as i said i´m running with a crossfire HD 7970 and a i7 975 processor and i cannot run those areas at 60 FPS, so i made a question still not answered by the developpers, what PC do we need to do that? I presume they tested it before. In my opinion if that machine does not exist, or when you reach a certain good machine there´s no improvement if you get one better (bottleneck), theres´s still an optimization issue with these areas.

Thanks
    in my opinion, the devs aren't masters of code. you're just going to have to cut them some slack. they're not going to be able to optimize much because they don't really know what to do. it's unfortunate.

edit: an example is multithread support post patch. it's pretty bad for a game developer to do that. 2 threads isn't particularly difficult for most game devs. 4 threads if you use cpu physics. these guys had issues initially.

I feel like I'm repeating the same things over and over, and we have strayed pretty far from the subject of this post, so this will be my last response on this matter. Ultimately, if you don't like performance at specific settings, try different settings, that's what it is. This does not always mean having to dial everything down. LOD at normal and everything else at Ultra may work quite well for you, for example.

I have no hard data on this. That said, the i7-975 is a CPU from 2009. Should you really expect to max out entirely a 2013 game on it? If you take an i7 3770 you will likely see fairly different results.

edit: an example is multithread support post patch. it's pretty bad for a game developer to do that. 2 threads isn't particularly difficult for most game devs. 4 threads if you use cpu physics. these guys had issues initially.
    This is incorrect. TR is heavily multithreaded and has been since release, with easily up to 4 hardware threads being used by the game and drivers together. However, as explained before, in some specifc cases a single thread could be left with a lot of work compared to others, causing a bottleneck, which has been addressed with this latest patch.

I would like to ask why cut-scenes are so demanding?Hardly get 60fps in cut-scenes. Any particular reason?
    Do you have TressFX on? Hair gets close-up and will take up a lot of pixels on screen in many cinematics, causing the TressFX impact to be very large.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixxes View Post
    Do you have TressFX on? Hair gets close-up and will take up a lot of pixels on screen in many cinematics, causing the TressFX impact to be very large.
    can't we get cuda to help? or cpu physics to take some tressfx load?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixxes View Post
    Nope.No tressFX.

Ok Nixxes thanks for your answers and time. As i said, perfomance details apart, this game is excellent and you listening to us users is quite appreciated.

Thanks.

i've now tried areound 50 drivers for ati/nvidia combined. i can't get the video jerk to go. some drivers make it worse, some better but always there.

edit: i'm going to buy the next mortal kombat on pc and take out all my tomb raider frustration on that

You can't be comparing different games that are built on different engines and use different ways of utilising system resources.

Some games are more GPU intensive some more CPU intensive and some need ton more ram than others. Each game has different requirements, and even when you can run some game like BF3 or Crysis on high with just an i3 then perhaps they are built to be less CPU and more GPU intensive.

But I don't know what you expect with just an i3 which is a crappy CPU when it comes to high quality gaming, get an i7 and you would probably see a huge improvement.
    I was playing on a laptop most of the time and have just a 6770m gpu there but an i7 CPU and I never noticed any frame drops.
    lol but do you see what you're saying? You're asking me to spend $329 on a CPU just to get 60fps in one game.

You can call the i3 a crappy CPU all you want, but this is the only game where I've really had any problems with it.

I can list tons of other games at that run at 60fps at all times on higher settings with no problems.

I can only list a few that don't like...

Assassin's Creed III - There's an a hundred paged thread on the Ubisoft forum of people with high-end computers dropping to 20fps.

BF3 64-man multiplayer - I can't maintain 60fps on a 64-man multiplayer map in BF3. But it's understandable because it's 64 players on screen at once. What's not understable is why this game drops to 30fps with one character on the screen.

And some MMORPG's...

They could make it work on an i3, but they don't want to put in the effort to optimize it.

What does this game do, that other games that run at 60fps not do?

Mafia II runs at 60fps on this setup. With all its cars, NPCs and let's not forget, a whole city loaded into the game at once.

Or Just Cause II. A game with a whole island in view, which rarely drops below 60fps on max settings and maintains 60fps even during intense rain.

Black Ops II? The first level has tons of enemies on screen at once and doesn't drop below 60fps.

Sleeping Dogs? Again, another game that has several NPC's and still maintains 60fps.

In Bioshock Infinite, there's this area where there's amazing lighting, tons of intense snow effects going on and the frame doesn't drop.

You can say "It's a different engine" or whatever. But visually, I can not see why this game would be so CPU intense.

The issue is probably the engine using the CPU for what most other games use the GPU for.

pcgamer

to be fair. a person who invests in a gaming machine invests in atleast an i5. i5 supports overclock + turboboost. i don't really understand why a gaming rig would have an i3 inside. can't you buy a fairly cheap i5?

on a more serious note, you guys need to break up the i3 battle. the thread's in relation to pc patch. thank you for your co-operation.

Edit: the reason I bring up the jerking issue is because majority of the screen jerks and I get a headache because of it. I never get headaches ever or from any other game or even from prolonged use. It's pretty serious. You may discover a new type of epilipsy like pokemon discovered with flashing red and some other colour.

Edit 2 : what are the requirements for tressfx? My nvidia is ultra setting or high with post processing and tesselation. Tressfx is too demanding. What are we comparing in terms of tressfx performance?

hello, so this patch can work for the bug at the last of the game tombraider 2013? The part where she tries to kill mathias? I am stuck here for a week now, and no matter how i press the keys or what i press, it doesnt work. I tried to update steam and close it then restart it, nothing worked. I even lowered resolution and graphics, etc....

brightness is broken. my setting is on max. if you restart the game, brightness is too high. if you drop the brightness down a notch and up again, the brightness isn't so white. but if you restart the game again, it becomes super white again. dropping it down a notch and up again sorts it out, until you again restart the game. bug

Edit: sniper bit. Lara's crawling Russian guy above gets shot by sniper and falls in front of Lara, the wooden ground breaks. Most of the time, Lara falls to her death automatically.

Tressfx shadows just get in the way of lara's face. Better simply disabling tressfx until shadows are optimised.

Some loading issues. I'm running raid0. Didn't happen pre patches. Directly before finding the 3 prisoners. Alex, bambi and the other guy.

Edit 2: needs to be laptop friendly. I suggest an option to toggle aiming simply by pressing right mouse to activate and deactivate as opposed to holding it. Similar to grand theft auto.

The icons such as mash e needs tuning. Sometimes you're looking at it sideways?!?

You really need to colour code which key to press. You can keep mash f as red. Change mash e to blue or green.

Quote Originally Posted by daaceking View Post
    pcgamer

to be fair. a person who invests in a gaming machine invests in atleast an i5. i5 supports overclock + turboboost. i don't really understand why a gaming rig would have an i3 inside. can't you buy a fairly cheap i5?

on a more serious note, you guys need to break up the i3 battle. the thread's in relation to pc patch. thank you for your co-operation.

Edit: the reason I bring up the jerking issue is because majority of the screen jerks and I get a headache because of it. I never get headaches ever or from any other game or even from prolonged use. It's pretty serious. You may discover a new type of epilipsy like pokemon discovered with flashing red and some other colour.

Edit 2 : what are the requirements for tressfx? My nvidia is ultra setting or high with post processing and tesselation. Tressfx is too demanding. What are we comparing in terms of tressfx performance?
    Cheap? Maybe if you're rich. All of us aren't rich. We especially don't have $160 to spend just to play an unoptimized game.

The point was, this patch didn't fix any of my issues.

And a lot of people still use Core 2 Duo's and the i3.

All in all, I've given up. A console port is a console port and should be played on consoles. PC is good, only if games are properly optimized like BF3. There's nothing going on that's equivalent to 64 players in BF3.

It's OK though, I got this game free with my graphics card. Glad I didn't pay for it.

Can play BF3 and Crysis 3 at 60fps, but must settle for low with no shadows to get 60fps at all times in this game(Which doesn't look anywhere near as good)? Sigh.

patch issues:-

if you play for hours non-stop, game begins to pause regularly. last time i saw this was with gta where a ram upgrade fixed it.

i am running
    2gb gddr5
    12gb ddr3

i.e. it's not my system. you need to optimize vram/ram or atleast enable 64bit support

when you're fighting master oni, and you have to time f, the indicator is offscreen and jumps to the correct position for each time you need to press f.

nixxes, are you taking note? i've submitted a lot of bugs.

Motion blur still not fixed, i reported it like 2 patches ago and still nothing? Not even confirmation of it being looked into?
    signature image

my game crashed for the first time ever. i have played it several times before. i updated my nvidia driver to the latest. didn't work well. returned to my orginal drivers. crash.

edit - it was an access violation write error. i think it was just an incredibly rare quick save bug. it happened shortly after the 3rd pre-rendered footage when she is climbing up the slippery rock surface.

Quote Originally Posted by daaceking View Post
    patch issues:-

if you play for hours non-stop, game begins to pause regularly. last time i saw this was with gta where a ram upgrade fixed it.

i am running
    2gb gddr5
    12gb ddr3

i.e. it's not my system. you need to optimize vram/ram or atleast enable 64bit support

when you're fighting master oni, and you have to time f, the indicator is offscreen and jumps to the correct position for each time you need to press f.

nixxes, are you taking note? i've submitted a lot of bugs.
    I don't think they are lol. If they were taking note, I would be getting 60fps in the Shantytown on high settings.

And on Ultimate I've noticed the frames dropping all the way to 20fps at times.

This computer runs BF3 on ultra at full 1920x1080 at 40-60fps. A much better looking game with much more going. But drops to 40fps on high and 20fps on Ultimate.

When the ONI are attacking and you need to run while the bridge is breaking, Lara keeps dying the first time. You may want to take a look at this.

The sniper bit, I reported before. Where the ground breaks. This time I crept slowly and noticed the guy gets shot and falls but the ground doesn't break. I continued to slowly creep forward, the cinematic then played, the ground broke but nobody was there to get shot. Bug

When you enter the room with papers pinned up and on the table, in the burning building. There's no cutscene. You have to replay last checkpoint.

Edit: follow up on brightness. It's worse than I thought. Any high brightness setting above default at least is much brighter than when you set it. So say for example I set a greater brightness than default. I restart the game and brightness is too high. You need to change the brightness for it to lower.

The issue isn't that it's too bright or too dark. It's that it needs to be consistent.

Edit 2: can we have an option for starting a new game but keeping all the weapon unlocks and all the skill points? Instead of resetting?

Also, tressfx shadows are too thick in my opinion.

Please note I have added many more bug reports.

Also note rule 9-

I'm double posting simply to show I have added more bugs around a week since the initial post. It's the nature of the thread and is nothing to do with my post count. Thanks for understanding

nice patch!

mouse not accurate enough when zoomed in. want precise shots otherwise zooming is pointless.

edit - pistol regularly suspiciously has 2 bullets short for unknown reasons. always 2.

I'm not trying to make you angry but this cause 5 trojan!
    But i have a different patch!

i watched game trailers review.

colours are stronger, game is overall smoother. weapon zoom is smoother. looks like they reviewed the console. console looks better than pc?!? somethings not right i have tested on 2 different pcs. keep the patches coming.

edit: i'm starting to think pc just got a cheap port...

Crappy CPU? Work for most games. Except wait... this one.

Crappy CPU? More like crappy optimization. A computer than can play Crysis 3 and BF3 with no problems, should not be dropping to 30-40fps on low at points in this game.

Just because a game is CPU reliant, doesn't mean a CPU is crap.

You don't get any drops on your i7, because the game relies on CPU and is barely utilizing the GPU at points. This is why I can get drops to 30-40fps on low.

People need to understand that because you can play a game with no drops on a Core i7 + GTX Titan, does not make it optimized.

I can play just about any modern game on low at 60fps with no drops. But not this game because it's CPU reliant.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast