Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PC Patch Released - 1.01.748.0 - May 22th 2013

PC Patch Released - 1.01.748.0 - May 22th 2013

We have just made public a new version of the PC version of Tomb Raider, build 1.01.748.0. This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

New fixes in 748.0:

- Fixed problem with Mountaineer, Sure-Shot, and Demolition outfits not properly unlocking when no other DLC is installed.
    - Fixed TressFX Hair not being able to be turned on, on some machines, when using AMD Eyefinity or NVIDIA Surround.
    - Significant performance improvements in CPU limited areas, for example in Shanty Town. (This is the same fix we have previously exposed to users on forums with the MulticoreFlushMode registry key).
    - Fixed water polygons randomly disappearing on Intel graphics hardware.
    - Fix problem with English VO setting when playing in Japanese not properly being remembered after a restart.
    - Minor UI improvements.

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version we made a Beta available on Steam, Build743.0, that can be used to switch back to the previous version. Please note however that you may not be able to play multiplayer with people that do not share your version.

Players on NVIDIA hardware we recommend using the 320.0 BETA or more recent drivers, which contain several driver fixes related to Tomb Raider.

We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches as it seems required. We always welcome your feedback!

For people using multicoreflushmode already 1 should we first delete that registry key then update?

so is there multi-thread support as opposed to single thread before? have the potential graphical issues/potential desyncs been fixed or has this just been rolled out by public demand?

also, is an i7 which turbo-boosts to 3.5 under single thread going to suffer prior to the update? if it will, then it's pretty poor developing.

edit: how many threads are active as of this update. my cpu may have 4 cores but it has 8 threads.

Hi, I was wondering if there was any word on if anything is being done about the camera sway. On PC, it gives me pretty bad headaches and nausea. Perhaps a way to reduce the sway amount or something along those lines. Until this is fixed i am basically unable to play the game :/

Quote Originally Posted by Krac View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if there was any word on if anything is being done about the camera sway. On PC, it gives me pretty bad headaches and nausea. Perhaps a way to reduce the sway amount or something along those lines. Until this is fixed i am basically unable to play the game :/
    http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=200369

This program allows camera sway to be turned off in-game.. A neat little patcher

Fixed water polygons randomly disappearing on Intel graphics hardware.

is this this problem with missing textures on level with boat ? where you go with yours friends on boat (video section)

texture flicker [nvidia] - moving shrubs or whatever they are

jerky smoke/steam and water [nvidia] - the more, the worse.

jerky smoke/steam [ati] - the more, the worse.

i've been reporting the last 2 since the first update. considering the fact that it is nvidia and ati hardware, something's got to give. i'm obviously not being taken seriously. i'm obviously not happy with the level of support.

Quote Originally Posted by cooldudesubho View Post
    For people using multicoreflushmode already 1 should we first delete that registry key then update?
    There is no need to do this. The key can be set to multiple values, and '1' still means 'autodetect multi-core behavior'. The change is that 0 (the default) now also means auto-detect, while previously it caused the old behavior.

Daaceking,

Thanks for all your comments.

The new behavior has been tested succesfully for quite a while now, and the previously seen corruption on some machines (that was present before the MultiCoreFlush change as well, but exposed it for additional users) should be addressed by the recent NVIDIA drivers mentioned in the release notes.

Note that Nvidia drivers (actually since a driver release a day or two after intial release of the game) also address the flickering bushes you mention.

It is not easy to state exactly the number of threads or cores that the game uses. The game will detect the number of cores on the machine and will act accordingly. But also video drivers (primarily) and other software will create additional threads and do work on them. Note all of these threads will run at the same time though.

Basically the new model causes a better spread of application CPU load over multiple threads, especially in these spots like in Shanty Town. This will be true regardless of the number of cores in the machine (single core aside, but that's below minimum spec), or TurboBoost.

Last, I looked for a description of the problem you mention here with smoke/steam but I have not been able to find it. It does not sound like a very common problem, or at least it is not brought up a lot. If you have more information I can pass it along so it can possibly be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by dany00711 View Post
    Fixed water polygons randomly disappearing on Intel graphics hardware.

is this this problem with missing textures on level with boat ? where you go with yours friends on boat (video section)
    If you see polygons disappearing from the ocean water it indeed may explain that as well, however, most testing for this issue has happened on the water in the Scavenger Den, in the first puzzle room.

for me, single thread was enough since i wasn't getting extra fps. the supreme i7!

in terms of jerky, it may not have been reported a lot but users have it:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=135552

this guys has it around 15 secs, you can see it.

my ati is 4800 and is unsupported. last driver was 13.1 i can't update past this unless yourselves can persuade amd.

my gtx580m is a laptop with OC support. you're going to have to talk to msi to update their overclock drivers for the GT783 gaming notebook.

the jerkiness is identical to the tressfx jerkiness i have reported and none existed in the very first game [no updates]

edit: for me, the perfect update is if you were to go back to v716 + fix all the glitches which stop you going forward. that would be the best update for me

Daaceking, NVIDIA releases unified mobile drivers these days. Are you saying your notebook is not supported by this driver at all? Or just that you would lose overclocking if doing so?

Either way this would be an unfortunate situation, but as long as you are staying on an old driver for your Nvidia you will continue to have problems as well as reduced performance. Issues like the flickering bushes on old Nvidia drivers are not new since a specific patch.

Last, I looked at your video, but I don't really see anything that stands out to me in there? The user in that post is reporting a problem where his entire game view gets obstructed, which is obviously quite severe, but this is an issue that has since been fixed by an update.

i don't know. Msi likes to do all the nitty gritty stuff as opposed to other companies that like to keep it simple and i'm not talking exclusively gpu. All i know is they've created a tool alongside the driver for gpu overclock. It boosts the core clock from 575mhz to 620mhz which is the nvidia recommended clock. So it's technically not an overclock but better than 575.

The user reports complete black out. But before it does you can clearly see it jerk. I'm saying it's not reported a lot, but definately exists. I'm starting to think it's to do with the physics engine. If you have one. I would like yourselves to take a closer look.

Also, could i request a lara only tessellation? I could do with a few extra frames. I don't care about the environment but i can't find myself disabling it because lara looks so real!

I too have those flickering bushes since i bought the game. no driver or patch fixed this for me. and i installed them all the minute they were released.

then there is a bug with the downloadable tomb. if i burn down a tree the plane crashes more than intended and lara also says more than one line. after i burned down all spots even though its not really neccesarry anymore. lara cant climb the plane because a tree is in the way and its not possible to burn it down. i got this on 2 diffrent computers. its possible to fix it with a restart of the checkpoint but it is really annoying.

then there is a bug with laras shoulder (similar to the water wading shoulder bug) when lara jumps onto a ledge and you have to fulfill a savety grab her shoulder looks weird and exactly like in the wading bug. i've seen this also on more than one computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Heartache View Post
    I too have those flickering bushes since i bought the game. no driver or patch fixed this for me. and i installed them all the minute they were released.

then there is a bug with the downloadable tomb. if i burn down a tree the plane crashes more than intended and lara also says more than one line. after i burned down all spots even though its not really neccesarry anymore. lara cant climb the plane because a tree is in the way and its not possible to burn it down. i got this on 2 diffrent computers. its possible to fix it with a restart of the checkpoint but it is really annoying.

then there is a bug with laras shoulder (similar to the water wading shoulder bug) when lara jumps onto a ledge and you have to fulfill a savety grab her shoulder looks weird and exactly like in the wading bug. i've seen this also on more than one computer.
    The Tomb of the Lost Adventurer glitch is something I've experienced, it's where the plane has fallen, however burning an extra tree (God knows why it's there) causes a collision issue and Lara can't climb it.

Very nice, thanks for the new patch. Are we already at the limit or can you squeeze out even more performance (Nvidia) in the future? The game is running great for me i'm just curious whats possible.

Kind regards

no improvements to mp matchmaking, and no adition of sp mode so you could play through with all weapons switching them as wanted; oh well, i guess ireplayed sp enough times and mp is not worth the lobby wait, time for another game probably

there comes a point where graphic card manufacturers are not at fault and software developers need to take responsibility. we are way past that stage with the latest installment of tomb raider/hitman/sniper challenge. the only way i can play sniper challenge is through coreonline.com simply because i can no longer get it to start. eidos really needs to get its act together. if you struggle so much with the engine, you need to licence a proven engine such as unreal engine or cryengine. maybe you could get ubisoft to licence theirs because the quality of eidos games is appauling. by which i mean graphical glitches/bugs etc. i'm still playing assassin's creed 3 and even unreal tournament 3 [2007] simply because it has a lot to offer and is incredibly fun. i can't say the same about this game. i definately enjoyed it the first time i played it. no bugs/glitches. incredible game. that ship has sailed. i'm done with this game.

So I'm guessing this issue will never be fixed for me then?

The game plays at 60fps on high before this and drops to around 30-40 in this game. If I turn around, the FPS goes back to 60.

PCGamer2013: What CPU and GPU are you running on and what settings? I would expect the latest patch to have improved framerate and GPU utilization in that location for you.

That said, it does not seem entirely unexpected that when you turn around and look at pretty much nothing things are faster compared to looking at a lot more things.

Quote Originally Posted by daaceking View Post
    there comes a point where graphic card manufacturers are not at fault and software developers need to take responsibility. we are way past that stage with the latest installment of tomb raider/hitman/sniper challenge. the only way i can play sniper challenge is through coreonline.com simply because i can no longer get it to start. eidos really needs to get its act together. if you struggle so much with the engine, you need to licence a proven engine such as unreal engine or cryengine. maybe you could get ubisoft to licence theirs because the quality of eidos games is appauling. by which i mean graphical glitches/bugs etc. i'm still playing assassin's creed 3 and even unreal tournament 3 [2007] simply because it has a lot to offer and is incredibly fun. i can't say the same about this game. i definately enjoyed it the first time i played it. no bugs/glitches. incredible game. that ship has sailed. i'm done with this game.
    Unfortunately the PC world is in a spot where video drivers have gotten so complicated that completely valid usage patterns may have problems depending on the exact configuration of software and hardware. On top of that a lot of programs try to hook into other programs in various ways and make modifications that can also cause a variety of problems. Typically issues like that are solved by over time by drivers, but you will need to update these to get these fixes. And not stay on older drivers provided by the system/card manufacturer.

We wish it was the case that a game could be tested and guaranteed to work correctly without any update or driver fixes on everyone's PC, but this is not really possible in the PC world.

If you can no longer start Hitman Sniper Challenge (which is not a common problem as far as I am aware) but used to be able to do so that again seems like you need to look what software may have changed on your system which would cause this. But that's not really what this thread or forum is about.

I updated my nvidia to the driver recommended, ignoring the clock speeds and benchmark for the time being. Issues exist . I don't know about the flicker since it is at the beginning and I just continued. The jerks exist. I'm going back to my old driver.

My ati is 13.1 latest. Jerks exist. Eidos claims to be for all systems from directx 9 to 11. From low end to high end. Not doing very well.

You do realise that had it worked, future drivers would have most likely broken it again In favour of mOdern games when the support of tomb raider officially ends? I've seen it happen before. If anyone contacts support then, eidos would claim no reports of the issue. It's an industry standard of poor customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixxes View Post
    PCGamer2013: What CPU and GPU are you running on and what settings? I would expect the latest patch to have improved framerate and GPU utilization in that location for you.

That said, it does not seem entirely unexpected that when you turn around and look at pretty much nothing things are faster compared to looking at a lot more things.
    An Hd 7850 OC and a Core i3.

It is pretty unexpected for me, since I can play BF3 on high with the framerate rarely dropping below 60fps.

Quote Originally Posted by daaceking View Post
    I updated my nvidia to the driver recommended, ignoring the clock speeds and benchmark for the time being. Issues exist . I don't know about the flicker since it is at the beginning and I just continued. The jerks exist. I'm going back to my old driver.

My ati is 13.1 latest. Jerks exist. Eidos claims to be for all systems from directx 9 to 11. From low end to high end. Not doing very well.

You do realise that had it worked, future drivers would have most likely broken it again In favour of mOdern games when the support of tomb raider officially ends? I've seen it happen before. If anyone contacts support then, eidos would claim no reports of the issue. It's an industry standard of poor customer service.
    I'm still not quite sure what you mean with that jerk, and have no information on drivers fixing that. The flickering foliage we have confirmed fixed by the Nvidia drivers.

It would be quite unfortunate if future driver updates break things again, but if that will happen that seems like something you should direct at Nvidia or AMD. If a driver has bugs and especially later introduces them there is really not much we can do as developers.

Quote Originally Posted by PCgamer2013 View Post
    An Hd 7850 OC and a Core i3.

It is pretty unexpected for me, since I can play BF3 on high with the framerate rarely dropping below 60fps.
    I'm still not sure what quality settings and resolution you are running at. You may want to just keep the LOD Quality setting at normal, since are only running on an i3. The i3 is probably your bottleneck there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast