Thread: E3 - Gameplay Trailer / Video - The Big Reveal

E3 - Gameplay Trailer / Video - The Big Reveal

All this speculation is driving me insane.

Allow me to speculate as to why 3rd person is even included at all. EM spent outrageous amounts of money with this motion capture thingy. They spent outrageous amounts developing the look of Orzari (I refuse to call him Garrett, cuz it ain't Garrett). I'm sure it cost a pretty Canadian penny to design a real-life outfit, too.

It makes little sense to not show what took so much time, money, and effort to accomplish. They want to show it off in-game. You can't do that with a 100% first-person game. Also, I think it has some merit. If you know what Garr--, Orzari looks like, I think it brings you even closer to him. Makes you identify with him even moreso than by just a voice.

They have obviously put the equivalent of 5 brick houses filled with money into the performance capture, costume, real world bow so yes they gotta show it all off.

3rd person is likely included to try make the game more exciting and cinematic for the kids and Thief noobs.

Your speculation must not be too far from the truth. Even though it's not the same team involved, I can't help but think about this one interview discussing the importance and the coolness factor of viewing the augmentations at work for HR.

I'm sure there are technical reasons behind the third person transitions, but I'd need some serious evidence before I'm ever convinced they did not want to show off their cool design in-game.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    [COLOR="Lime"]Depends who you speak for, I'm a fan.
    The decision to include 3P in DX:HR was somewhat alarming for fans to hear at the time... but when we actually played the game it worked fine - it enhanced the game visually but didn't break immersion.
    I totally disagree, and while I know that's subjective, I also know that there are a lot of people who agree with me, and plenty of not Deus Ex games you could play with third-person cover systems and stupid takedowns. The takedowns were the most offensive thing about the entire game, boiling down a relatively complex system of melee attack and damage to a one-press instant-fire 100%-guaranteed knockout or kill that FREEZES TIME while you execute absurd stylistic moves.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Is Deus Ex:HR one of those games where at the start of a 3rd person takedown you're facing one direction, but then after the takedown is over and you're back to 1P you're facing a different direction than you were originally? If so, that's another strike against 3P takedowns in DXHR. All games that implement forced camera switches seem to do that and it's annoying. If I'm facing North at the start of 3P swivel cam nonsense, make me face North at the conclusion of it. How hard can that be.

I've tried to find out both by watching YouTube gameplay vids and re-loading old DXHR saved games, and after spending 10 fruitless minutes trying to watch just one or two simple takedowns, I've been unsuccessful at finding one. I give up. There's a lot of unpopulated space, cinematic sequences and boring hub areas filled with friendly NPCs in DXHR.

What can I say to all the worried taffers, how about we wait and see. That's what I'm going to do.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

You can use takedowns on friendly NPCs too.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

New video! Full motion capture! 3rd- person combat! Blackjack upgrade! Stealth! Swimmable water! Archers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBNxeE2X5BI

Originally Posted by Maijstral
    New video! Full motion capture! 3rd- person combat! Blackjack upgrade! Stealth! Swimmable water! Archers!

That wasen`t funny

Originally Posted by Maijstral

meh

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    Is Deus Ex:HR one of those games where at the start of a 3rd person takedown you're facing one direction, but then after the takedown is over and you're back to 1P you're facing a different direction than you were originally? .
    Nah - the end of every takedown has a nice smooth camera pan that transitions from the takedown cam to the first-person view.

For what's it's worth I think 3rd person transitions are a matter of execution, not a matter of fundamentalism anyway

Done well (see Chronicles of Riddick, DXHR) I really like them IMHO. 1) Amazing tension/release (I started using a controller recently, you really notice your hands cleanching and unclenching!) 2) Satisfaction in precision (like taking a sniper headshot, one hit one kill) 3) Narrative and flavour (constant reminder who you're playing, you can tell personality etc of the character in their actions, is another element in gameplay loop of the game). Basically I find them intrinsically fun (I never look forward to taking people out in Dishonored, for instance) and they add a certain rhythm and personality to the game

Done badly though I absolutely HATE them and they definitely take me out of the game (SKYRIM!). Unpredictable (you don't always get a transition, unlike Riddick/DXHR where button press = transition); short (don't get used to transition); boring animations

Which is why I'm slightly concerned about environment kills being third-person. Basically if the transition is predictable and smooth and enhances the game, I like them. If the transition just happens, it's annoying. So hopefully EM balances it hard. I kind of hope they add a first-person view to everything anyway - personally I'd be really happy with a hybrid game, but some people seem so violently against it... I want those people to be happy too lol

Agreed. Its all about execution.
    Another Chronicles of Riddick fan here too, heck I loved that game.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Shralla
    I totally disagree, and while I know that's subjective, I also know that there are a lot of people who agree with me, and plenty of not Deus Ex games you could play with third-person cover systems and stupid takedowns. The takedowns were the most offensive thing about the entire game, boiling down a relatively complex system of melee attack and damage to a one-press instant-fire 100%-guaranteed knockout or kill that FREEZES TIME while you execute absurd stylistic moves.
    I feel the way you do. A friend loaned me their copy so I could see what the game was like. He didn't think much of the 3rd person switching either, but I thought I should at least give it a chance. The developers seemed quite confident that they were right and I would enjoy something I've never taken much enjoyment in. I spent a day or two playing DE:HR and the 3rd person switching killed it for me. I wouldn't have cared had the developers actually listened to players on the forums who asked for a menu option to disable them, but they didn't listen so it's another game I won't buy.

I don't need to see what Garrett or any main character is doing in a 'first person game'. Leave the option in for people who enjoy that sort of thing, but as a classic Thief player I want no distractions....and that's all they are to me.

Hey Adam! Where the gameplay video at?

Gameplay video what?? where?

Originally Posted by dda
    Hahahaha that's never coming

Originally Posted by dda
    The last time you asked Adam a direct question, they revealed Thief 4 just a few days later. Lets hope it will be the same this time.

Originally Posted by lmprv
    Nah - the end of every takedown has a nice smooth camera pan that transitions from the takedown cam to the first-person view.
    That's not really what he was asking. He was asking if you end up facing a different direction than you started after you activate a takedown, to which the answer is yes, you very often find yourself looking at a wall while before you might have been looking down a hallway.

"Not all shadows are cast by light, some are cast by darkness."

Originally Posted by contrarian
    . They spent outrageous amounts developing the look of Orzari (I refuse to call him Garrett, cuz it ain't Garrett). I'm sure it cost a pretty Canadian penny to design a real-life outfit, too.

Not to mention the bow. What a *** waste of money.

Interesting. How much money are we talking here... exactly?
    Also, has anyone considered that items like the outfit and bow might represent one of "the" ultimate collector goodies and could, in fact, increase in value over time?
    signature image

Originally Posted by contrarian
    All this speculation is driving me insane.

Allow me to speculate as to why 3rd person is even included at all. EM spent outrageous amounts of money with this motion capture thingy. They spent outrageous amounts developing the look of Orzari (I refuse to call him Garrett, cuz it ain't Garrett). I'm sure it cost a pretty Canadian penny to design a real-life outfit, too.

It makes little sense to not show what took so much time, money, and effort to accomplish. They want to show it off in-game. You can't do that with a 100% first-person game. Also, I think it has some merit. If you know what Garr--, Orzari looks like, I think it brings you even closer to him. Makes you identify with him even moreso than by just a voice.
    Sorry to be a party pooper here guys, but ya'll couldn't be further from the truth on this one

As we've specifically stated before, 3rd person cameras are used very sparingly, and specifically restricted to situations where they increase visibility - ie. Certain vertical navigation scenarios and focus mode take downs (which, as we've also stated before, are completely optional). Don't let your imagination run wild on this one - Thief is a 1st person game.

It's got nothing to do with showcasing animations or costume design (LOL!), and everything to do with increasing situation awareness and visibility in very specific gameplay scenarios. These types of design choices are HEAVILY, and repeatedly play tested at our in-house, state of the art play test labs - the team puts every game mechanic through dozens of tests and design iterations to ensure that they're creating the best Thief game they can. Rest assured that in the specific situations that you'll see a 3rd person camera, it's been used because it was needed to ensure the best gameplay experience in that situation.

Hey b1skit any idea when we're going to see that gameplay?

Are the playtesters patient Thief players, or CoD players?

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    Are the playtesters patient Thief players, or CoD players?
    You act like the two have to be mutually exclusive.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Page 11 of 30 First First ... 78910111213141521 ... Last