Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Tomb Raider in Japan

  1. #1

    Question Tomb Raider in Japan

    Hi all.

    First post here. I'm Zac and I'm mizuno_suisei over at TRF and have been there for about 8 years now...lord! Loving the new TR game, it's put a bit of faith back into this HC Classics fan Been floating around here for the past month as it's proven very helpful and insightful with information about this game so I thank you all for your posts to read!

    Now, this is a question that hasn't been answered very well at alternate forums nor by SE themselves.

    In Japan, TR2013 is going to be released on the 25th of April, their own dubbed version which I would to play and add to my japanese TR dub game collection which will be finished after this game.

    Can anyone from SE find out via SE Japan or wherever if this game will be released as a digital download only, or as a PC DVD. I've looked high and low, contacted SE support and have found no answer. I can't find any evidence of TR2013 on Japanese online game shops (aside from the 360/PS3 versions) with the PC version on sale. The only evidence I can find PC wise is on the SE e-store which has the PC version but even with my translating, I can't see any mention of it's download or disk only...

    I'd love to be able to play the Japanese version of this game when it's released but Disk version is the only possible version for me, I can't afford to download a game off Steam, that'd be about 10gb on my net bill.

    Will perhaps the English international version of the game, have a choosable 'Japanese' selection in the steam language menu when it's released in Japan? Sure, that'd be a great way to play it in Japanese but I really would rather a hard copy Japan made DVD.

    Hope anyone from SE or otherwise can give me some insight about this. As I said, I've translated and translated but I'm just not that good.


  2. #2
    Welcome to the forums
    I need the hammer to kill a god!

  3. #3
    Hi,

    I have contact Square Japan about this, and what I can confirm so far is that the version sold in the Square Enix eStore (release April 25th) will be a disc based version. Please note that it will activate with Steam and it will still download updates and additional content on installation from Steam, so you will still have a download, but it will be a lot less than 10gb.

    Hope that helps!

  4. #4
    I am surprise this game hasn't yet been release in Japan yet.

    Welcome to the forum, & I am sure you will love the new Lara like most of us do. I do not know how big Lara is in Japan, hopefully, being publish by Square enix helps, & finger cross for TR to do well in Japan.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    ^ TR has been released in Japan since the classic games

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixxes View Post
    Hi,

    I have contact Square Japan about this, and what I can confirm so far is that the version sold in the Square Enix eStore (release April 25th) will be a disc based version. Please note that it will activate with Steam and it will still download updates and additional content on installation from Steam, so you will still have a download, but it will be a lot less than 10gb.

    Hope that helps!
    Thank you very kindly for this response. I appreciate it. So it's going to be the same process for the original release, that's great! Can you confirm if Japanese will become an additional steam game language selection for the original version?

    Quote Originally Posted by kiadaw View Post
    I am surprise this game hasn't yet been release in Japan yet.

    Welcome to the forum, & I am sure you will love the new Lara like most of us do. I do not know how big Lara is in Japan, hopefully, being publish by Square enix helps, & finger cross for TR to do well in Japan.

    Hiya :wve: Thanks for the welcome I've actually been a TR fan since day one in 1996. I grew up playing Tomb Raider and also during school, learning
    japanese. Not long after TRL was released, I discovered that Japan had their own dubbed versions of the games so i thought hmm, my love for Tomb Raider and Japanese..in one go? Hell yeah! $3000 AUD later I have all the dubbed games PC and PSX versions. They're incredibly rare and expensive but I'm so happy I have them!

    Unfortunately, Tomb Raider wasn't well recieved in Japan. She was known as the 'super-model' rather than the archaeologist Either way, they used some great resources (famous Japanese voiceactors) and they stuck to the original lines instead of re-translating to 'make it fit' culturally and ethically which happens way too much in my opinion.

    A bit of trivia that not alot of people know, but this TR2013 isn't actually the first time Square Enix have worked with Tomb Raider. Way back when before Square Soft and Enix merged, Enix developed the Japanese edition of Tomb Raider III

    Loved this game and can't wait to try it in JP. Been watching the Japanese advert videos of it on youtube and the voice-acting is great!

    Thanks for everyone's assistance

  7. #7
    Omg I wish I knew Japanese

    You don't know how painful it is not to know Japanese as a manga fan
    signature image

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Quote Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
    A bit of trivia that not alot of people know, but this TR2013 isn't actually the first time Square Enix have worked with Tomb Raider. Way back when before Square Soft and Enix merged, Enix developed the Japanese edition of Tomb Raider III
    Heh, didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that tidbit

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post

    Loved this game and can't wait to try it in JP. Been watching the Japanese advert videos of it on youtube and the voice-acting is great!

    Thanks for everyone's assistance
    by any chance you have the link to the video in Japan, I am interested to see how Lara sound in Japanese.

    I do not know about the Japanese langauge,but they always sould very cool, in anime & movies.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
    Thank you very kindly for this response. I appreciate it. So it's going to be the same process for the original release, that's great! Can you confirm if Japanese will become an additional steam game language selection for the original version?




    Hiya :wve: Thanks for the welcome I've actually been a TR fan since day one in 1996. I grew up playing Tomb Raider and also during school, learning
    japanese. Not long after TRL was released, I discovered that Japan had their own dubbed versions of the games so i thought hmm, my love for Tomb Raider and Japanese..in one go? Hell yeah! $3000 AUD later I have all the dubbed games PC and PSX versions. They're incredibly rare and expensive but I'm so happy I have them!

    Unfortunately, Tomb Raider wasn't well recieved in Japan. She was known as the 'super-model' rather than the archaeologist Either way, they used some great resources (famous Japanese voiceactors) and they stuck to the original lines instead of re-translating to 'make it fit' culturally and ethically which happens way too much in my opinion.

    A bit of trivia that not alot of people know, but this TR2013 isn't actually the first time Square Enix have worked with Tomb Raider. Way back when before Square Soft and Enix merged, Enix developed the Japanese edition of Tomb Raider III

    Loved this game and can't wait to try it in JP. Been watching the Japanese advert videos of it on youtube and the voice-acting is great!

    Thanks for everyone's assistance
    Finally a new member that has a nice attitude :'D

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    Omg I wish I knew Japanese

    You don't know how painful it is not to know Japanese as a manga fan
    That's the first mistake, wanting to learn just because of manga and/or anime :P You need to want to learn the language as a whole. The one liners used in japanese media won't get you far at all :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Heh, didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that tidbit
    A few people have said the same, it's just an interesting fact

    Quote Originally Posted by kiadaw View Post
    by any chance you have the link to the video in Japan, I am interested to see how Lara sound in Japanese.

    I do not know about the Japanese langauge,but they always sould very cool, in anime & movies.
    Link to SE Japan Youtube. There are a few videos there Especially the recent footage released of the beginning of the game in Japanese (the hanging sack scene), she sounds very Anime style actually. (Jonah, Reyes, TASUKETEEE!)
    If my previous link doesn't work, click here. you can find the videos there.

    My Youtube channel is based for clips from the Japanese versions of the earlier games if you care to have a look
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rarakurofuto

    Quote Originally Posted by SpringAwaken View Post
    Finally a new member that has a nice attitude :'D
    Thankyou Like I said, I've been over at TRF since..2004 I think! Not entirely new to this kind of scene

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    688
    The japanese version has a lot more moaning than Camilla o.o

    (click image to enlarge)

  13. #13
    ^ I know right

    GAH I can't for the life of mine find a website to pre-order the Japanese edition from on PC! I've read so much Japanese text today that I never want to read it again aha. Nixxes, are you sure they said it will be available in DVD format? It's just that every popular Japanese online gaming shop has the PS3 and XBOX360 pre-orders going, but NONE for PC, except the SE store.

    This is driving me nuts!

  14. #14
    Jah I know. But I mean I want to learn Japanese so I can read teasers and trailers for new anime/gaming stuff like you are doing now I am also dying to visit Japan someday not just for Akihabara but also to get to know Japan/Japanese culture itself since its very different from the Chinese (my family is Chinese so I'm familiar with the Chinese culture ).

    Oh yes she sounds very anime-like, but I'm not used to Lara having a different voice than her beautiful English voice done by Camilla. Its like hearing master Chief with a different voice
    signature image

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    Jah I know. But I mean I want to learn Japanese so I can read teasers and trailers for new anime/gaming stuff like you are doing now I am also dying to visit Japan someday not just for Akihabara but also to get to know Japan/Japanese culture itself since its very different from the Chinese (my family is Chinese so I'm familiar with the Chinese culture ).

    Oh yes she sounds very anime-like, but I'm not used to Lara having a different voice than her beautiful English voice done by Camilla. Its like hearing master Chief with a different voice
    Ahh well that's good then! You should give it a shot, it's well worth it!

    If you want to really broaden with this, I suggest you head onto my youtube channel (I linked it a few posts ago) and hear some of the classic games japanese voiceovers. Tomb Raider 1 (Known as Tomb Raiders in Japanese) was voiced by Megumi Ogata, one of Japan's most popular voice actresses. Personally, I like the voice for TR2 - TRAoD. She sounds very much like her english counterpart (Jonell Elliot)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringAwaken View Post
    Finally a new member that has a nice attitude :'D
    No idea what you're talking about; most of our new members are nice

    Quote Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
    Link to SE Japan Youtube. There are a few videos there Especially the recent footage released of the beginning of the game in Japanese (the hanging sack scene), she sounds very Anime style actually. (Jonah, Reyes, TASUKETEEE!)
    haha, indeed

    I felt the same a few weeks ago when I checked out the Japanese trailer. SO weird to seeing Lara but hearing anime

    Quote Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
    GAH I can't for the life of mine find a website to pre-order the Japanese edition from on PC! I've read so much Japanese text today that I never want to read it again aha. Nixxes, are you sure they said it will be available in DVD format? It's just that every popular Japanese online gaming shop has the PS3 and XBOX360 pre-orders going, but NONE for PC, except the SE store.

    This is driving me nuts!
    Did you try our official retailers database? http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=129866

    Quote Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
    Tomb Raider 1 (Known as Tomb Raiders in Japanese) was voiced by Megumi Ogata, one of Japan's most popular voice actresses.
    What is she most known for? As a big anime fan, I might know her work

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  17. #17

    Big Grin

    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Did you try our official retailers database? http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=129866
    I did briefly look in there last week but found nothing for Japan. The Asia suggestions are of no use either =(


    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    What is she most known for? As a big anime fan, I might know her work
    She is most known for Sailor Uranus/Tenou Haruka from Sailor Moon. Also voiced Petz in Season 2. You may not have ANY clue on those characters aha so maybe this'll help.

    MEGUMI OGATA - TR1 ONLY


    ATSUKO TANAKA - TR2 to TRAoD


    TAKAKO HONDA - TRLAU + GoL


    YUUKO KAIDA - TR2013


    Cheers to Wikipedia for the info and SPOILER TAGS! More Forums need this!!

  18. #18
    Not bad.

  19. #19
    Yeah Yuuko is really pretty <3 She even looks somewhat half-cast to me.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Wow, that's a pretty big list. Thanks, Zac

    Heh, I *do* know Megumi's work, apparently, albeit only from a small role - Tier Harribel from Bleach.

    I've also heard Takako's work. She voiced Hone-Onna in Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl - great series!).

    I can't say I recognize any of Yuuko's work, but now I'm really wondering what iCarly sounds like in Japanese

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  21. #21
    That's good to see you know some of the works! You should pick up some of the Japanese versions of these games then for a listen! They're cheap as chips, the PSX versions on eBay.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    I had a quick look on ebay. I wouldn't really call that "cheap" -_-

    Besides, I don't think I could handle playing a whole TR game in Japanese, lol.

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •