View Poll Results: How are you feeling about the game currently?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Looks great! I can’t wait!

15 13.76%
  • It looks good. There are a few things bugging me, but they are minor.

19 17.43%
  • I’m getting a good vibe off of this game, but I’m still slightly wary.

20 18.35%
  • I’m seeing good and I’m seeing bad. I’m floatin’ in the middle.

16 14.68%
  • I still have some pretty serious reservations about what I’m seeing, but I see potential.

9 8.26%
  • I’ve got a baaad feeling about this…

26 23.85%
  • This looks like a complete disaster!

4 3.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: TAFFING VIBES: Your current feelings on Thief

TAFFING VIBES: Your current feelings on Thief

TAFFING VIBES: Your current feelings on Thief

With the slightly larger influx of information out there, I think it's time once again to ask what your current thoughts are on the direction of Thief. I know it hasn't been long, but with Adam putting the devs' feet to the coals in a manner of speaking the community has been getting some answers to many questions and concerns. This new information may sway people one way or the other, so an updated poll seems like a good idea.

So, how are you feeling about the game currently?
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Very real/fair poll choices, MT. Thanksies.

I truly like all I have heard and seen so far and have voted accordingly.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I'd still like to see some gameplay footage (mainly to see Focus in action) and hear Garrett's voice actor, but other than that I'm on board from what I'm hearing.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

I'm cautiously optimistic, overally what we heard so far is more positive than negative. I'm aware that it won't be able to escape some of the more disgusting trends in current gameing, but I could put up with that in other games too.

It's my impression from the visual designs seen so far that they are overcomplicating things and adding details for details sake (Garretts new costume, the mechanical bow, some of the concept art) in a desperate attempt to be unique. Garretts new costume doesn't click with me, it looks kind of generic IMO (reminded me of a Skyrim assassin). But thats a relatively minor thing.

Things are looking good! My main worry is the availability/scarcity of the Focus resource in relation to its power, the actual size/complexity of mission areas and how using the Claw will actually work.

most of these issues will likely be adressed in later updates.

It looks amazing and based off of what we've seen already, I'm sure that they're going to deliver for us fans. The only things I'm still wary of are:

The possible forced 3rd person perspective.
    The apparent darkness levels in screen shots.
    Level design (Sandbox vs Themepark).
    The chance that animated cut scenes may not make an appearance.
    The chance that the lockpicking minigame pauses gameplay.
    And, the possible absurd story justification for Focus Mode.

I know most of these are minor or already addressed or paranoid-sounding but they're still in the back of my mind. Otherwise I am 100% optimistic about this game. And as a Thief fan since 1998, EM should feel good about that! Can't wait to see more.

Will there be a demo at some point? I'm going to wait to upgrade my computer until right before this game comes out so I can get the full expeeience.

I'm floating.

Originally Posted by Psychomorph
    I'm floating.
    Better than sinking.

Originally Posted by scumm
    I'm going to wait to upgrade my computer until right before this game comes out so I can get the full expeeience.
    Same.
    signature image

Cautious as well, but from what I'm hearing so far from EM it looks like they get what Thief is and isn't so I'm pretty optimistic right now. I still got my worries, of course, but I'm thinking those will be nullified once I get to see some gameplay.

I'm curious to see how everything will unfold as we are shown more tidbits.
    At the moment I'm reserving judgement but things are looking good so far.

I haven't been a gamer for a few years & I'm hoping they keep an old-school feel to it. It's still early to give an opinion I think, the game isn't even finished. A few things bother me a little (possibility of no magic / supernatural creatures, erasing the previous storylines, Garrett looking like a starved vampire....) but I'm keeping my mind open.

Someone, I won't say who, tried to convince me to make a new one of these a couple weeks ago. But really, we didn't have enough information to CHANGE our opinions... But with all we've seen this last week, I think this is a good time for it.

Maybe I'll make another one a month down the road, or so, once we get another large influx of information.

I like that they're going to be keeping the light gem, and that there will be a more complex stealth system than Dishonored. I kind of disagree that Thief can only succeed with Garrett.... I hope the girl from the last cutscene shows up. But if this is more of a "not pre/sequel," then I dunno. No strong focus on multiplayer, possible hammerites and pagans, lots of exploration... all good points.

I am seeing good things, but I am still slightly wary.

Why am I wary?

Because of the lack news on a mod kit.

I really really REEEEALLY want them to include a mod kit. I'd pay an extra $20 if I could play custom missions. I'm being serious, I would. And don't think the fan mission... fans... wouldn't either! We like thief, we want MORE thief.... More thief than a company can reasonably give us. So give us an editor!

After the cleverly chosen bits to say and the dodged questions regarding important topics, I'd say that the first two choices are off limits. I can't honestly claim that "It looks great" or "It looks good" because that implies that we have actually seen something. No. We have heard stuff, and after the "see you next year" train that never came... a lot of that might be lies. So I'm going to sit on the fence until someone tips me over.

Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity
    After the cleverly chosen bits to say and the dodged questions regarding important topics, I'd say that the first two choices are off limits. I can't honestly claim that "It looks great" or "It looks good" because that implies that we have actually seen something. No. We have heard stuff, and after the "see you next year" train that never came... a lot of that might be lies. So I'm going to sit on the fence until someone tips me over.
    Yeah, I'd have to concur with this. We don't have enough information to say "it will be glorious." But neither do we have enough info to say "It will be horrible."

What we DO have, is information on certain features of the game, which we CAN speculate on, as to the possible awesomeness or terribleness. But we don't have enough info to judge the GAME as a whole yet. That's why I didn't choose the second one.

Well, if not for the latest podcast, I'd have voted for complete disaster. Now I voted for the last second one. Objective marker and the recent GI interview where they explained their idea of how to use fog is enough to put it down there.

Still, I'm cautiously more optimistic than I was a week ago.

It's my impression from the visual designs seen so far that they are overcomplicating things and adding details for details sake (Garretts new costume, the mechanical bow, some of the concept art) in a desperate attempt to be unique.
    Also agree with this. Too much flair and nonsense. And whatever the reason for it, I just can't think of a way they will be able to add focus mode in a probable way, story-wise. Regardless of whether it's optional or not, it feels like something they just have to force on the game for some reason unknown to me. It doesn't make sense at all to even have a focus mode.

Regarding the last poll, my mood has brightened significantly over the past week. I'm now floating, like Psychomorph. Still upset about the possible hammer/pagan/undead/magic cancel.

Let's wait for the first gameplay video.

"It looks good. There are a few things bugging me, but they are minor."

Pretty much the same I voted in Chilli's poll.

EDIT: Also: Can't wait for thief!
    ~You reap what you sow~

Originally Posted by argan1985
    Also agree with this. Too much flair and nonsense. And whatever the reason for it, I just can't think of a way they will be able to add focus mode in a probable way, story-wise. Regardless of whether it's optional or not, it feels like something they just have to force on the game for some reason unknown to me. It doesn't make sense at all to even have a focus mode.
    It's my impression that most game heroes are overly gimmicky, so if they want the game to be unique it would have been nice to have simple, down to earth aestethics, which would stand out more in that case.

Garrett looking like a starved vampire
    That's a good description of the Garrett redesign right there.

While there have been some good news, the way the devs are dodging questions about core gameplay mechanics and only showing off kewl graphics and gimmicks gives me a bad feeling, which is two points down from my "lets wait and see" in Chilliwacks post.

I feel better about it now, because they said they'll include a LIGHTGEM

Originally Posted by Nico A.
    I feel better about it now, because they said they'll include a LIGHTGEM

They had included it anyway... its just that some people thought it wasn't there at all.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    its just that some people thought it wasn't there at all.
    I must have missed anyone saying they thought that?

Originally Posted by MarrowMonkey
    I must have missed anyone saying they thought that?
    Not here.. on another forum.
    signature image

Wary. Was disappointed with Bioshock: Infinite, Dishonored and Tomb Raider. Not a challenging-rewarding expereience to be found nowadays. Although DXHR was a surprisingly not bad game.

The best of your bunch was made by Eidos Montreal.
    signature image

Page 1 of 3 123 Last