Thread: Playing the series in Order?

Playing the series in Order?

So, if I wanted to play the series in order, from chapters 1 to 5, would it be:

Blood Omen
    Blood Omen 2
    Soul Reaver
    Soul Reaver 2
    Defiance

Or should it be played in the release order due to the alternate timelines that occur throughout the story? With Blood Omen 2 taking place after the timeline changes in SR2?

Quote Originally Posted by Tox1cboy View Post

Blood Omen
    Blood Omen 2
    Soul Reaver
    Soul Reaver 2
    Defiance

Or should it be played in the release order due to the alternate timelines that occur throughout the story? With Blood Omen 2 taking place after the timeline changes in SR2?
    Just play it in release order.

Due to the business with paradoxes, release order is the best order. You can also play Defiance first and then Blood Omen 2 if you like (BO2 is the latest point in the series chronologically, but Defiance is the latest point from Kain's perspective).
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

I like to play blood omen 2 last. Gives a sense of finality to the series...

Familiar question - But I'd say play it in release order (BO1/SR1/SR2/BO2/Defiance) to get all the plot and paradoxes to unfold and make sense as it goes.

Some will say play it chronologically, or to swap BO2 and Defiance around etc etc, but I find this ultimately mucks around a bit and takes us away from Defiance's conclusion, which is the current 'end' of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazielim View Post
    Some will say play it chronologically, or to swap BO2 and Defiance around etc etc, but I find this ultimately mucks around a bit and takes us away from Defiance's conclusion, which is the current 'end' of the story.
    Not to mention that basically Kain lives through BO2 at the end of Soul Reaver 2, so if we play from characters perspective it seems natural to play BO2 after SR2.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance Reaver View Post
    Not to mention that basically Kain lives through BO2 at the end of Soul Reaver 2, so if we play from characters perspective it seems natural to play BO2 after SR2.
    Oh yeah! That actually makes a lot of sense.

I dont know... I play Defiance right after SR2 always - because SR1, SR2 and Def they happen right after each other. not to mention BO2 happens after Defiance, so this order makes more sense to me.

I like to include the movie Dark Crystal too. If you watch it right after the end of Soul Reaver that seems to work best. It's like the missing piece that shows what happens in the future after they disappear into the time portal.

Also try playing the games from Elder God's all-seeing point of view--- play one level (or boss area) of each game and then play through one stage of the next game, so everything seems to be happening at once. EG style.

Blood Omen
    Blood Omen 2
    Soul Reaver
    Soul Reaver 2
    Defiance

Blood Omen
    Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver
    Soul Reaver 2
    Blood Omen 2
    Legacy of Kain : Defiance

The chronological order is without proper "order" which leaves a strong mark/impression on the fact that the series are heavily oriented on time traveling.
    I like to think that from the metaphoric concept it figures since Moebius the Time Streamer went crazy. It's another little thing that give the LoK series a "unique" nameplate in the world of video-games.
    Of course, you may play it in any order as you see fit - but if you stick to the given recipe you'll be completely immersed.

Quote Originally Posted by Raina Audron View Post
    I dont know... I play Defiance right after SR2 always - because SR1, SR2 and Def they happen right after each other. not to mention BO2 happens after Defiance, so this order makes more sense to me.
    How does BO2 happen after Defiance?

How does BO2 happen after Defiance?
    The events of BO2 are result of events that happened in Defiance.

Quote Originally Posted by Count D View Post
    The events of BO2 are result of events that happened in Defiance.
    oh, i thought they were the result of what happened at the end of SR2.

both of these things are true

The end of Defiance is chronologically at the same point in time as the end of BO1. With SR2s conclision comming before, and BO2 comming a few hundred years after. Soul Reaver clocks in a millenium or few after that.

Thats why sometimes the plot can be hard to untangle. Things that happened before never happened yet.

So to be clear, in the LoK timeline, the games occur as follows:

Events of Soul Reaver 2. (However, the actual time period where Raziel travels to a future filled with demons, has never - to my knowledge - been officially revealed. So this event may or may not fit in before, during, or after the other titles, and their events.)

Events of Defiance.

Events of Blood Omen. (Defiance has sections in the past, before the events of Blood Omen, but later in the game the two exist in the exact same timeframe. Both of which ending at the same point in time.

Events of Blood Omen 2.

Events of Soul Reaver.

*edit* I had a note here about what events triggered what, then I thought about it too hard and got confused. You figure it out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Strands Of Night View Post
    The end of Defiance is chronologically at the same point in time as the end of BO1. With SR2s conclision comming before, and BO2 comming a few hundred years after. Soul Reaver clocks in a millenium or few after that.

Thats why sometimes the plot can be hard to untangle. Things that happened before never happened yet.

So to be clear, in the LoK timeline, the games occur as follows:

Events of Soul Reaver 2. (However, the actual time period where Raziel travels to a future filled with demons, has never - to my knowledge - been officially revealed. So this event may or may not fit in before, during, or after the other titles, and their events.)

Events of Defiance.

Events of Blood Omen. (Defiance has sections in the past, before the events of Blood Omen, but later in the game the two exist in the exact same time frame. Both of which ending at the same point in time.

Events of Blood Omen 2.

Events of Soul Reaver.

*edit* I had a note here about what events triggered what, then I thought about it too hard and got confused. You figure it out!!
    Yikes! This almost makes me think they actually should do a reboot of the series. The story is so thick that any new player trying to jump on board might get scared away, or become uninterested, due to the volume of back story.

Some people will just want to play the game, not read War and Peace to understand it.

But thats why it has such die hard fans who find new things to debate, even after 10 years, because it is so in depth and vexing.

**Warning spoilers to Futurama, Mad Max, David Copperfield, Terminator, and Dragons ahead! And maybe LoK too.**

You cant help but try to tackle the conundrum of the paradox a time or two... Because if you can just figure out where the scribble that covers the page starts, you can unravel it all. Im not saying that LoK doesnt make sense, it does. But sometimes it can make your brain asplodie if you think about time travel too much. This even happens with Back To The Future, where everything is pretty much laid out simply. Or the Terminator series (which I heart [at least 1 and 2 for sure]). I want to be a dragon.

But what was I saying... I had another point... Then I started thinking about how Fry in Futurama could possibly be his own pappy, and how Skynet would never have come into existence if it hadnt sent a Terminator back in time to kill Sarah Conner and leave behind its advanced technology... Im stuck on the paradox again...

Oh yea! Quick before I lose it again! LoK doesnt make you read a giant sized novel to get into it. You can play through them and get the jist of everything thats going on without a lot of thinking. But once you do get drawn deeply in, you will start to think about it. Then the Legacy Of Kain will never let you go!

Alright, a simpler explanation would go like this:

- In terms of timelines: at the end of Soul Reaver 2 there is a huge time paradox, and this paradox changes history, shunting it into a new timeline. Blood Omen 2 and Defiance both take place in that new timeline. Their events didn't exist before that paradox. In that specific sense, you can say that BO1, SR1 and SR2 take place before BO2 and Defiance, because they are in different ("earlier") versions of the timeline.

- In terms of Nosgoth's chronology (i.e. days, months, years): BO2 stars a younger Kain, and it takes place 400 years after the events of BO1 and Defiance end. The events in Defiance, specifically those involving Janos Audron and the Hylden Lord, lead directly into BO2. Since BO2 is in the newest timeline, and gives us the latest events seen in that timeline, you could argue that it is at the end/last point of the series.

- In terms of Kain's perspective: Kain goes through BO1, SR1 and SR2 in a linear order, then at the end of SR2 with the paradox, his memories change (because his personal history is different in the new timeline) and he therefore "receives" or "remembers" the events of BO2. The latest point for Kain, and the end of the main story arc, is the ending of Defiance. So for him, again, it's BO1, SR1, SR2, BO2 and then Defiance. I think this is the ideal order, as any sequel will logically want to follow him from there.

I hope that makes some sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Strands of Night
    Raziel, and stage directions, say that that part is around 100 years after the end of BO1.
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Quote Originally Posted by Corlagon View Post
    Due to the business with paradoxes, release order is the best order. You can also play Defiance first and then Blood Omen 2 if you like (BO2 is the latest point in the series chronologically, but Defiance is the latest point from Kain's perspective).
    Isn't the latest point in the series, chronologically, Soul Reaver ? Blood Omen 2 precedes Kain formally establishing his empire.

also true

Soul Reaver as we all experienced it takes place in an "earlier" timeline than Blood Omen 2, though.

Soul Reaver as we all experienced it takes place in an "earlier" timeline than Blood Omen 2, though.
    I think it's been a long time since I've played the LOK games, but nothing indicated me that Kain's decadent empire wasn't what still came to be in Soul Reaver, I mean...........we still have ugly-looking Turel.

We have a confirmation that the events in SR1 did not change in any significant way, but that doesn't matter, because they were still viewed through the lens of a Nosgoth before the SR2 paradox took place.

It's just a minor quibble, but the fact is that it is not quite accurate to say to somebody that "Soul Reaver takes place after Blood Omen 2".

We have a confirmation that the events in SR1 did not change in any significant way, but that doesn't matter, because they were still viewed through the lens of a Nosgoth before the SR2 paradox took place.

It's just a minor quibble, but the fact is that it is not quite accurate to say to somebody that "Soul Reaver takes place after Blood Omen 2".
    I........think I understand.

Though it seems to me, from Kain's reaction at the ending of SR2, that the only thing that changed was the appearence of the dark entity and the revival of the Saraphan Order.