Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map Pack Compatibility Issues

Map Pack Compatibility Issues

Hello all,

We're aware that some of you are having issues playing multiplayer with your friends due to map pack compatibility issues. We’re working hard to address this and have a solution in the works.

Basically, in Tomb Raider’s multiplayer you can only join matches with players who have the same DLC as you – but it’s not just the map that’s affected, it’s the mode in which that map is playable.

For example, the Shanty Town map is featured in the Free for All multiplayer mode, so if you have the Shanty Town DLC you will only be paired for the Free for All multiplayer game mode with players who also have the Shanty Town DLC. Other modes are unaffected, and you should be able to play against anybody.

However, today’s Caves & Cliffs pack on Xbox 360 is playable in all four game modes: Rescue, Cry for Help, Team Deathmatch, and Free for All. This means you can only join those modes with others that have the Caves & Cliffs DLC pack.

We realise this isn’t ideal for hooking up with your friends online, and we’re working on a way to allow you to either switch off your DLC or grab the DLC to download easily.

We’ll keep you posted when that is coming.

[Update 4/10]

Hello all! The fix is now live for Xbox 360 users, with the PS3 patch pending. Here is the scoop:

In order to make sure you can always play with your friends, our latest patch allows you to Activate or Deactivate DLC map packs, either individually or globally.

Once you’ve downloaded the update, the next time you join a friend who has a different map pack active, an option will appear to activate or deactivate your content.

Otherwise you can manually select the content in the options menu, to do so:

1. Go to the Option Menu
    a. Enter Matchmaking
    b. In the Matchmaking menu you can turn on or off each of the DLC pack you have purchased
    c. When you acquire a new DLC map pack, it is activated by default

Hope this helps, and see you online!

There is more to this problem than meets the eye. It's not just caused by having a map that your friends don't have. It's caused by ANY DLC. A friend of mine purchased the standard edition of the game and so did not get any bonus DLC with his game. I pre-ordered the Survival Edition of the game and I got the Hitman Weapons Pack 1 (for mp), the Lost Adventurer's Tomb (for sp) and early access to the Agility Skill (for sp), and because of this the game won't allow me to join my friend in multiplayer. Even when I don't use the Hitman weapons the game still refuses to allow me to join my friend.

So in conclusion: it is not just the extra multiplayer maps causing this problem. It seems that all of the DLC is triggering this bug.

Wink Multiplayer Question w/ DLC Content

So I downloaded the Caves and Cliffs pack, but I haven't gotten any of the new maps in the past two days. Is that a matchmaking thing? Is there an option to only play with people who have DLC?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Wolfe18 View Post
    So I downloaded the Caves and Cliffs pack, but I haven't gotten any of the new maps in the past two days. Is that a matchmaking thing? Is there an option to only play with people who have DLC?
    From Meagan's description, it sounds like in fact you should be getting matches on the new maps... I'm sorry to hear that it isn't working though. Right now, there are no options for you to specify that you want to play on the new maps during Ranked and Casual matches (unless you make a private match, and pick them specifically). It sounds like they're working on it, so hopefully it will be fixed soon. I'm crossing my fingers it will all be good before it hits PC
    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

Yeah, I've been really enjoying this game but the fact that it now takes me 20 minutes to match a game since I downloaded the map pack is a major buzzkill. I feel like I'm being punished for giving my money to Crystal Dynamics. Clearly this game was never going to have as big of a multiplayer following as something like CoD, so the fact that this problem was overlooked and now we have to deal with it is remarkable to me.

This has now been addressed on PC with the latest patch

Can't wait to try it out!

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=136034
    signature image

Glad to see a patch for PC. I hope they fix this for XBox soon as well...

Is this similar to the issue I'm having now too where a map pack might only appear as an option in certain game modes? For instance, I purchased 1939 and that one is ONLY selectable in Free For All for some reason? It seems odd that that would be the case, so I'm hoping that bug is fixed soon as well so I can play those levels in other modes... Buying map packs for a single mode doesn't make a whole lot of sense at all, so I'm chalking this up as a bug since it is neither communicated as such, nor would it be worthwhile to purchase for a single mode...

So, I really hope this is resolved as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MLyons10 View Post
    Glad to see a patch for PC. I hope they fix this for XBox soon as well...
    It sounds like they are working on the title update for the consoles, this update was posted a couple days ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Turbocrab View Post
    Were releasing a patch on console addressing the matchmaking issues soon, same as we did on PC

Stay tuned
    As for the "1939" maps, it wasn't mentioned in the advertising, but it's not a bug - the new "1939" maps are for Free For All only. You can tell by the level design that they would not work very well in the other game modes.

Since it's not a technical issue, I moved your other post on this same subject to this thread, where discussion can continue:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=136378
    signature image

When trying to find a match (on PC) do you need to manually toggle the DLCs on/off to try to find a match or is it done automaticaly?
    i.e. the system first tries to find a match with DLC players that have same DLCs and if it can't find one then it tries to find a match with all other players, deactivating the DLCs automatically?

You need to set your choice manually (and each "pack" is handled separately, so you can turn them all ON or OFF, or you can turn "Shanty Town" and/or "1939" ON or OFF), and then go search for matches.

It was probably done this way so that you can create a lobby and wait for people to join you. This allows you to specifically play with maps on/off, rather than just wanting to find any match.

On the other hand, if you just want to find any match, you can quickly set all to ON and then do Quick Match, and if you don't find one, you can quickly set to OFF and then do Quick Match again.

The situation where it will prompt you to make an automatic change is if someone invites you to a match, and your DLC is not compatible, it will ask you if it's OK for the game to change your settings automatically, so that you can go join them right away.
    signature image

Multiplayer DLC hindering matchmaking?

So, I do enjoy the multiplayer of this game (not the greatest or most innovative or even the most fun 3rd person shooter multiplayer... but it isn't half bad either).

Anyway, I've been able to get into games just fine and I recently had enough microsoft points to purchase both the caves and cliffs and 1939 map packs. The thing is, once I downloaded them, I couldn't find a game, I just sat there in the lobby waiting.

Well, with my scientific and curious mind and thought "I wonder if DLC people can only play with DLC people and since I can't get into a game- therefore there aren't very many DLC people" So I uninstalled both DLCs, and tried again and viola! I got into a game with no problem.

I simply figured I would make a post about this to see if I am correct/ not the only one who has experienced this problem.

It is a shame, though. If I'm right, I just wasted around $10, bummer.

Well, I'd still like to hear if anyone else has experienced this... Thanks in advanced!

It is pretty obvious that you can play in DLC maps only with people who have the DLC maps. But, while it is obvious and totally normal, it is not good, I know.

Anyway, the real reason because the DLC MAPS are waste of money is the fact that you can only play F4A in them.

Ah, yes, I heard something about FFA being the only playable game mode in some of those maps, though I did get into a cry for help lobby and one of the maps was available for that. Regardless, it is frustrating to have spent that money. Well, I'll make due with the stock maps.

Thankfully, Crystal did add the ability to turn on/off map packs by going into Options / Matchmaking, allowing you to customize your match searches according to DLC!

Yes, the Forest / Dogfight maps are FFA only, but the 3 maps in the Caves and Cliffs are all modes! Which is great, because they are much better maps than the Forest / Dogfight maps (even though I love the idea of both of those maps), and the Cliffs map may be the best map out of all the maps.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by MeaganMarie View Post
    However, today’s Caves & Cliffs pack on Xbox 360 is playable in all four game modes: Rescue, Cry for Help, Team Deathmatch, and Free for All. This means you can only join those modes with others that have the Caves & Cliffs DLC pack.

We realise this isn’t ideal for hooking up with your friends online, and we’re working on a way to allow you to either switch off your DLC or grab the DLC to download easily.
    I have got the new map packs for PS3 but all I get is empty lobbies. It seems the way the system is set up there is not enough players to generate matches on the DLC maps. Is there something I am missing like a different part of the menus to help concentrate the DLC map players? I do like the game so much overall that I am not sad to give the developers more money but am sad that I have the extra maps and can't get the fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
    I do like the game so much overall that I am not sad to give the developers more money but am sad that I have the extra maps and can't get the fun of them.
    I agree. I have bought additional maps and they look great but what good is that if I can't get to play them. I want to try 'cry for help' on them but haven't managed to get enough people yet.

1939 Multiplayer Map problem

I bought the 1939 map pack a few days ago for PS3 and it seems that I can only play with just the people that have them too, excluding the rest of the players making it WAY too hard to find matches be it the new maps or the old ones, to the point where sometimes it takes an hour to finally start a match.

I end up playing with the same players most of the time, and every single time in casual team deathmatch.

I'm seriously starting to regret buying them. Is anyone else having the same issue?

I've got this map pack, too, for PS3 and I can only get games with the maps on FFA -- but I hardly ever get a match at all

FFA usually just creates a lobby where I'm all by myself

A few different things to address here:

Options / Matchmaking allows you to turn on / turn off different map packs in order to customize which segment of the Multiplayer population you're playing with.

(I think a lot of people miss this, it might have been more noticeable in the Multiplayer menu itself.)

The 1939 maps are only available in FFA mode, they are not available in other modes.

I find the same thing on PC, very low population in general, but those who are playing mostly play Team Deathmatch, not the other modes, and I mostly end up with the same people.

I hope that helps!
    signature image

I have had exactly the same problem. All I get to play on the new maps is team deathmatch.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by GemmaDarkmoon View Post
    I have had exactly the same problem. All I get to play on the new maps is team deathmatch.
    I recommend finding friends on the forum or friends you already know in order to get some matches going in a mode other than TDM. I find that general multiplayer populations always favor standard multiplayer modes, unless the other modes are really good. Which is why those "Play in every mode" / "Win in every mode" achievements are always annoying. Unless you have a really successful multiplayer game, it can actually be quite hard to even find matches in unpopular modes.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Relight View Post
    I recommend finding friends on the forum or friends you already know in order to get some matches going in a mode other than TDM.
    Are people going to go to that much effort when they want a multiplayer game? The problem is that allowing only players with the DLC to play the DLC maps means that there isn't the critical mass of players able to play on them. That means fans like myself who do buy them get very little.

Quote Originally Posted by Relight View Post
    Options / Matchmaking allows you to turn on / turn off different map packs in order to customize which segment of the Multiplayer population you're playing with.

(I think a lot of people miss this, it might have been more noticeable in the Multiplayer menu itself.)
    I know this available with the recent update in Xbox360 but I don't know if they have put out the PS3 version yet.

The problem is that allowing only players with the DLC to play the DLC maps means that there isn't the critical mass of players able to play on them. That means fans like myself who do buy them get very little.
    How does it work on other multiplayer games? Do they release new maps for free, so that everyone will have them? Even if you make new maps free, people still have to realize they're available, and go and download them.

I'm not debating that there's a problem, I'm just trying to offer solutions. Tomb Raider multiplayer doesn't have enough players, the number of players who purchase the DLC are even less, and with not only one DLC pack but in fact *four* optional DLC map packs that you can mix and match... that's a nightmare for splitting up the already low multiplayer population. Someone work out the math, if you have 5 sets of multiplayer maps (original [required], Shanty Town, Caves and Cliffs, 1939 and the final upcoming map pack), how many possible combinations is there? I count 15, but math has never been my strong point That means you're splitting the multiplayer population into 15 sets of players

12345, 1345, 1245, 1235, 1234, 145, 125, 123, 135, 124, 134, 15, 12, 13, 14

In my own opinion, they should release all the maps to everyone, for free. This may have a chance at reinvigorating the low multiplayer population, and at least it would give those who are playing it an undivided population as far as DLC goes.

I know this available with the recent update in Xbox360 but I don't know if they have put out the PS3 version yet.
    Ah, thanks for clarifying that! I figured the PS3 title update would have gone out already

Since I think the main point in this discussion really is the matchmaking with the DLC map packs, I'm going to merge this with the stickied map pack thread in the Technical Forum, for greater visibility.
    signature image

Unhappy Problems tomb raider dlc´s

Hello, I am a Spanish girl and I have a problem with Tomb Raider (PS3):

a month ago I downloaded all maps packs for playstation network, (DLC´S), the problem is that since the me to download for multiplayer mode always creates me room, I can not get in any game with more people.If I turn off the new maps in machmaking if I can get in games, the problem is that if I activate the new maps do not find me room, creates a room. What can I do?. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by pilar0909 View Post
    Hello, I am a Spanish girl and I have a problem with Tomb Raider (PS3):

a month ago I downloaded all maps packs for playstation network, (DLC´S), the problem is that since the me to download for multiplayer mode always creates me room, I can not get in any game with more people.If I turn off the new maps in machmaking if I can get in games, the problem is that if I activate the new maps do not find me room, creates a room. What can I do?. Thanks a lot.
    This is probably because there are no other players using the maps at that time, and so it creates your own match. If other players with the maps look for a game they will join your lobby.
    signature image

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast