Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Too old for the Tomb Raider reboot

Too old for the Tomb Raider reboot

Today I have finished the game with 100%. And it was also the day were I have recognized that I am too old for PC games.
    Games this time seem directed to a younger and action-hungry audience. The games have changed in the past decades. I have already written an unfortunately closed thread with what I mean. I remember old games and there content and I compare it with new ones and the Tomb Raider reboot of course. Today the games are more games than ever. That is bad. As I said before I love games which let me forget that I am actually play a game. The new Tomb Raider shows me in every second that I play a game. I do not want to list what I do not like about the game. I am tired of it and it is meaningless.
    The times change. The games change. The current gamer-generation decides what is good and what is bad. Not me. That is clear for me now.
    I will not play the game again and I will not buy any PC-game or so called Tomb Raider-game again. My imagination of a good game is different from the younger generation which is the main target audience. Not me.
    I will put Tomb Raider 2013 in the cupboard and I think about playing the older Tomb Raider-games again. Only I and my Lara Croft. No reboot, no overwhelming action, no Quick-Time-Events and the most important think: no paper chase for immature hidden collector-stuff or challenges and so on with no real connection to the storyline or any other usefulness for the game. Just my imagination of Lara Croft, complex puzzles, ruins and temples. The good old days … the good old days.
    My era of PC-gaming is over. The new era is yours.

This is my last post on the forum. I have nothing more to discuss. I am tired of it. I wish you all the best.

Good bye.
    signature image

lol. If it's your last post then why bother posting at all? Just to stir up the pot? Come on man.

But to be honest, getting older in general = less enjoyment with video games. We all become cynical, and we've all seen it all before. It's hard to impress these days.

If this game were released back in 1996 I'm sure we would all be blown away.

I agree but in a different way.

I mean. I want collectibles. I found the collectibles in this game to be very story-oriented.

But yes. It doesn't go to lengths to pretend it's not a game. But I think the classics didn't try either, it's just the times which defined action adventure, and how that definition has evolved. CD haven't taken tomb raider outside of that genre.

@Game_Enthusiast:

I commend you for placing the source of the problem at the changing times: you should see how some oldschool people flatly proclaim their own preferences to be infinitly superiour. You seem to be having a more objective view...

With one little exception:

Today the games are more games than ever. That is bad. As I said before I love games which let me forget that I am actually play a game. The new Tomb Raider shows me in every second that I play a game.
    It's a matter of perception, and I think you remember the older games differently than you are experiencing the new ones. Nostalgia can cause people to have a blurry vision on reality...

Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Meltdown View Post
    Everybody has one...
    Yup, everyone has an opinion and is entitled to express it on the forums without the implication being made that their opinion doesn't count. The OP does raise some good points of discussion, so let's keep the conversation on topic to those points
    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

Long time ago, even before first TR came out (1995) there was a game, Red Baron (Ist world war flight simulator). I played it a bit later, and really liked. Then came the other flight sims, but I felt they lacked sth, and they did. Still they were overall better, but my nostalgia made me like RB much more. I'd bet, I would like old TR's if I played them at that time, but I was more strategy and simulator gamer back then. I tried them recently, after finishing TRL and TRA, but just couldn't stand the graphics and poor controls.

Now I do not really believe anyone would like to get a game that LOOKS like old TR's. Unfortunately you can't make so many levels in the era where a single piece of equipment has more detail than entire level of old TR.
    Herakleides on deviantART

I feel a lot of the same things. For me it's just that game design is different. A lot of the feeling of actually playing the game, or "free will" has been replaced by on screen cues to press the correct button at the right time. I really think game designers have gone WAY too far in making games cinematic, they've put too much emphasis on story telling and at the expense of game play. They'd be better off calling them interactive movies rather than games. I did enjoy the last Uncharted game but the story and cut scenes were so good I didn't care that I wasn't playing it. So far I'm enjoying Tomb Raider but it just doesn't seem to have enough magic to it. Like Game Enthusiast, I just don't get any feeling of immersion and have little connection with this Lara. I like it enough to keep playing it but it just feels like another game. Not as special as I had wanted it to be. Maybe the game world has passed Lara by and she is no longer the trend setter like she used to be?
    signature image
    You just gotta be right this time!

I'll bite. I don't know why some are quick to jump on the more action packed game this Tomb Raider was I felt CD made it very clear this was an origin story one which covered Lara Croft struggling to survive on the island while discovering & exploring at the same time. Showing how Lara felt about killing which was a mix of not wanting to and when pushed to far she will take you out. With by the end of it all she comes out stronger and more experienced about the dangers of adventures. They could always take a more slow paced approach next game(Which I hope they do, not because I didn't like what they did in this game but I feel the next steps would be for her to learn the stronger points to herself which is being able to solve & survive complex puzzles/traps, feeding her hunger to unravel the worlds mysteries, and read into history, mythology, unworldly, and supernatural etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWHARD View Post
    I feel a lot of the same things. For me it's just that game design is different. A lot of the feeling of actually playing the game, or "free will" has been replaced by on screen cues to press the correct button at the right time. I really think game designers have gone WAY too far in making games cinematic, they've put too much emphasis on story telling and at the expense of game play. They'd be better off calling them interactive movies rather than games. I did enjoy the last Uncharted game but the story and cut scenes were so good I didn't care that I wasn't playing it. So far I'm enjoying Tomb Raider but it just doesn't seem to have enough magic to it. Like Game Enthusiast, I just don't get any feeling of immersion and have little connection with this Lara. I like it enough to keep playing it but it just feels like another game. Not as special as I had wanted it to be. Maybe the game world has passed Lara by and she is no longer the trend setter like she used to be?
    I agree but I feel like we're off the mark by blaming a lack of connection with Lara or a lack of immersion. I think this game achieves this to the greatest extent any past Tomb Raider has.

I think what is causing this... missing phenomena is the composition of the action. It's all directed to visually create emotion. Whereas I imagine story and action would be more impactful if the game world being open and free, was a habitat for action and story that we could initiate in a non-linear way.

Of course cool camera angles work wonders, it's cinema. And direction is needed. But it's being done in a way that is completely neglecting the fact that these are video games which have a better chance of instilling a reaction due to them being interactive.

For example: I felt over-powered, outnumbered, frantic and frightened fighting the many storm guard warriors amidst the hectic storm. That's because I was over-powered and outnumbered in a frantic storm which had physical implications. It wasn't just imagery, it was the interaction between me and the game that created those emotions.

So I challenge CD and other devs to look towards the environment, gameplay mechanics and moves to evoke emotion over settling for the cinematic approach.

Plenty of different games and game types, there are not to many genera's I like and not all titles are worthy of purchase or game play.

In some ways games have gotten WAY to easy - long gone are the days were we had to make our own maps and blindly figure out dysfunctional controls that changed depending on the scene, situation or seemingly the phase of the moon. Also gone are the games that would drop you in some scene/environment with no idea of why you are there or what task/goal you need to accomplish.

Thankfully games have come a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by mbloof View Post
    In some ways games have gotten WAY to easy - long gone are the days were we had to make our own maps and blindly figure out dysfunctional controls that changed depending on the scene, situation or seemingly the phase of the moon. Also gone are the games that would drop you in some scene/environment with no idea of why you are there or what task/goal you need to accomplish.
    That's exactly what I think. I remember returning to a Medieval Total War after I played Rome TW - I still believe MTW had better campaign map in some aspects, but I found it so hard to command a battle when camera and controls seems to fight against me... and this is one of the reasons I can't get to play old TR's, even though I have them all bought (as a single pack of 9 previous games).
    Herakleides on deviantART

ok.
    I need the hammer to kill a god!

Quote Originally Posted by Game_Enthusiast View Post
    I have recognized that I am too old for PC games.
    My imagination of a good game is different from the younger generation which is the main target audience.
    I find your point of view very interesting! I have to admit being curious about how old you are.

I know we have some "older" members and there are some "older" Tomb Raider fans who are still enjoying it.

I was born in 1980... I have never owned a console and have been a PC gamer as early as I learned to type back in the good days of DOS, before Windows and the mouse! We had joysticks but I actually never liked them My dad had a computer from work so I became computer literate very early.

My favorite games were adventures from Sierra, games such as Space Quest and King's Quest that were focused on stories and puzzles, and not on action or violence of any kind. I played some "arcade" games such as Commander Keen, Silpheed, Solar Winds (a great multi-genre game), and tons of others. I was never that great at action or arcade games.

In the early and mid 90s and through the late 90s the gaming landscape changed drastically with the explosion of 3D graphics. All of the games that were big in this era, from Doom to Quake to Tomb Raider, were foreign to me, in that they all were more violent than the games I had been used to. Yes, I just lumped Tomb Raider together with Doom Controversy! But it makes sense when you consider my perspective, right? At that time, I didn't really see the puzzle elements in Tomb Raider - I saw the violent action It was tempting and exciting, but I was still much more into games that were not combat based at all.

As a Star Wars fan, I really got into Tie Fighter - violent, but space combat simulation was a different kind of violence than running around with a 3D character shooting other 3D characters and animals. I also got into Betrayal at Krondor, but this too was a different kind of violence - turn-based RPG combat was one aspect of a game that was really driven by exploration and story.

I played a small handful of other genres of games, such as the Need for Speed and Test Drive games, but my preference was always for games with a story.

In high school I had a short experience with a decidedly violent game - Duke Nukem 3D, the original DOS game I still think it was revolutionary among first person shooters and multiplayer gaming at that time, and a lot of my enjoyment of the game was not necessarily the violence, but the experience of high school community. We had many lunchtime LAN games in the small school computer lab, using a map we built of our school How I miss LAN gaming It's *way* more fun to play a game with a ton of your friends in the same room, rather than playing online.

I didn't game as much for a handful of years, and when I did, I still preferred adventure games such as The Longest Journey and others.

Several games brought me back into gaming in a big way, and have kept me more than busy with games for many years. Those games were Oblivion, Fallout 3 (and then Fallout:NV and Skyrim) and BioShock (and then BioShock 2). Yes, I enjoyed the violence in these games but what was more compelling than the violence was the story, the character progression and RPG elements, the inventory in Bethesda's games... it was almost as if someone had taken those old adventure games I loved so much and really brought them into a 3D world, something that, with the birth of 3D graphics, I had longed for, but adventurer publishers had never managed to do. Yes, these games had a lot of violence, but it never felt to me like the other games in the industry where the story was negligible or non-existent or not that good (in my opinion ), where the main point of the game really seemed to be a focus on a violent combat experience.

From BioShock I got into Mafia II, since 2K was the publisher on both, and randomly (I don't quite remember how), I got into Deus Ex: Human Revolution - in both cases, it was the story that attracted me. And that's pretty much all of the games I've played in the last 5 to 10 years.

So it's interesting that you mention how much the industry has changed with today's Tomb Raider compared to the Tomb Raiders of old - for me, I was seeing many changes in the industry before Lara Croft was even born! When the original Tomb Raider was released, I was looking around and shaking my head, and saying maybe gaming isn't for me! All the good aspects of games that I love are gone!

I know this isn't really your point, but just to mention that today's games are more realistic, in terms of the capability of today's gaming machines, allowing a more bloody, visceral, action-oriented, cinematic experience - games with aspects of violence in the past were limited graphically, but they were still pretty violent. I think there's an aspect of our perception of violence that simply sees more violence because it's more noticeably graphic. But yes, I do also agree that what sells in the marketplace today is more violent games, and that today's "younger" gamers purchase more violent games, thus there is a demand for that type of game in the industry.

That said, there is plenty of capability, creativity and demand today to create amazing racing games, puzzle and platforming games, simulation games, adventure games and others, and those games are still being created.

I was attracted to this new Tomb Raider by the story and Lara's character. I've played little bits of the previous Tomb Raiders, but found the controls very awkward, which really put me off from playing them. There were plenty of games, in the same era as those original Tomb Raiders, which had more natural movement and controls. Even Underworld (yeah, yeah, shoot me now) has its share of awkwardness - those weighted cubes that trip up Lara and cause both Lara and the cubes to go flying all over the place. One of the things I love about this new Tomb Raider is how natural and intuitive all of the movement is. Controlling Lara is easy and, dare I say, pretty much perfect.

I love the cinematic aspects to this game, because those things help immerse me in the game and play to my love of story. I'm not fond at all of the quick time events though And I do love the action. It's fun and, as a 30+ year old gamer whose gaming habits have been shaped as the industry evolved, I don't feel that games are no longer for me.

Boy, I haven't even said half of the things I could say There's tons of stuff I didn't even get into, and lots of stuff I wanted to elaborate on more to make my points better... I love talking in detail about games, gaming, gamers, the industry, etc. I guess what I'm saying is... every gamer is different. Every gamer has a story about how they got into gaming, all the different games they've played, what types of games they liked, things they liked in games and things they didn't like. All of those things affect how we experience and evaluate games. I love hearing and reading other people's opinions about games. Have an opinion about things, express it well and in detail, and we'll have a great time.

So thanks for dropping in to say why this Tomb Raider isn't for you. I'm a bit sad that you're apparently giving up on gaming, and that you won't be around to continue the conversation, but it was nice to read your thoughts. If anyone actually read all of my thoughts posted here, they at least deserve a cookie for taking the time and having the patience for all these words

(I think that's my posting quota for the week )
    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

I still miss the charm that the older TR titles had. I would like to feel more connection to the game itself. I think the acting, if you can call it that, of Lara, both physically and the voice acting, is great, really great. But it still feels a bit cold and several steps removed. I did put in an hour of TR this afternoon though
    signature image
    You just gotta be right this time!

I break my silence because I have not expected such interesting replies. I am build date 1987.

My point is the following. The new Tomb Raider is a shooting gallery. You hold the ground while waves of enemies coming in. Stupid. Nothing else. The end fight takes the biscuit. After the half game I was bored by the fights and the action and I thought: Is there nothing more?
    Realistic wounds and some sort of violence fits to the situation of surviving. And I have nothing against some action. But this gameplay exaggerate it and a very jaded way. The developer may have made more mystic, danger, deprivation and careful approaches into the game with sporadic fights against a few intelligent enemies. Instead they create almost tubular levels where you have no other choice as to kill everything in your way. The puzzles are a joke.
    You need not search your way. You cannot choose alternative routes. You simply go straight forward. And then these collectibles lying around the landscape and these achievements. You cannot imagine how I hate these things. But every game today has such stuff. Stuff which has nothing to do with the actual game. They only give them some content like the documents therewith you not recognize it. The fast travel options, this back tracing, ruins the whole atmosphere. These things let me feel I am playing a game. That is what I mean. Games in games so to speak. Only to bring in a second motivator to play the game any further.

Special effects, graphics, explosions, banging around. These are the things most games boast with today. But the most important thing is missing: mind. You must thing about nothing. Nothing has consequences what you do. No moral. No decisions (Quick-Time-Events, no way finding, no option to not kill an enemy). And the younger audience loves it. Lara Croft becomes a killer. Nothing else. I my eyes Lara Croft is tough and intelligent. Sure she is also sometimes ruthless if the situation requires it. But this cannot be all. No. I can imagine how future Tomb Raider-games will be. I do not want to follow this hype of massive stupid action for the price of intelligence and realism.

I have nothing to say against the technique of the game. The graphics are good. Lara looks beautiful and her mimic fits to the situation. Camilla Luddington was a perfect choice. But this all does not matter if the message of the game is: Kill everything in your way to survive and were the life has no meaning. The technique may become better but the content of the games become more stupid and jaded than ever. Stupid exaggerated and predictable Hollywood-action. *SPOILER* As I drove with the ropeway it was clear that there will come some fight on it.

And because I think so and because so less people do not share my opinion I believe my time is over of playing PC-games. Except for mature Online-Games like EVE. But there will not be any changes. The games will all be the same in the future. All with the same content. Or no content to be precise.
    I have plenty of, in my eyes, good and new ideas how I would make a good Tomb Raider reboot. But I have an advantage: I am not interested in sales or marketing. That is what influence the games most. What does the mainstream like most. And I am not the mainstream so I do not like the most games. They will not create a game only for the few people who thing like I do. Profit is in the foreground. No matter what they say.

Another example from the movie industry. Read about Gene Roddenberry and his Star Trek. Watch the old Star Trek and then the new movie. You can see the same what happens with Tomb Raider: Action and special effects replace content. But this is the trend today. A trend which I will not follow.
    signature image

I don't really like this post.
    I wish people saw what I saw.
    That 'Tomb Raider' IS indeed actually Tomb Raider.
    k.

the next tomb raider will be more exploration than action, i can tell you that right now.
    the only reason this game has soooo much action in it is because she is stranded on an island with an army of cult worshipers that want her dead. she is trying to stop them from hurting her friend and she will do anything to accomplish this.

with the next game she will be looking for artifacts, and i believe the company will use the criticisms they get from this game to make the next one better. the first thing they would have to work on is making sure there isnt so much combat in the next one, and more exploration.

I started gaming at a very young age. My brother and I would play for hours on our Commodore 64. I remember games like Jumpman, Bruce Lee, Might and Magic and Forbidden Forrest. Almost no story, very poor graphics but some awesome gameplay.

Today, I finally got my copy of Tomb Raider and I put it in my 360. I started playing the game and I was in awe! I now have an hdtv and I was blown away, not only by the graphics but by the story and emotions that Lara projects. Everything fits in this game, even the collectibles.

At the same time, I am playing the game Alpha Protocol. It has poor graphics and gameplay, but the story and choices are mind-blowing in my opinion. So many games are still coming out that are creative and unique. I do all I can to support these gems: Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Deadly Premonition, Alice Madness Returns and such.

I am thankfull we have so many quality games still being made. It would be so easy to just follow the easy path but some company are not afraid to try new things.

Quote Originally Posted by Relight View Post
    Yup, everyone has an opinion and is entitled to express it on the forums without the implication being made that their opinion doesn't count.
    Heh...you haven't been to the Aliens Colonial Marines forums.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

I think the main flaw of the new TR is that it's ashamed of being a game. They did amazing controls, both combat and traversal, great stealth, beautiful scenery backdrops just waiting to be explored and traversed, but it's fearful of letting any of its very solid foundations be left for the player to actually "play" with - the game just has no gameplay depth.

The new TR feels like it was overwatched by some ex-Hollywood guy for whom the word "video game" is a derogatory term. The presentation reeks of "Hollywood season blockbuster" - an impressive popcorn experience, but one you soon forget about. In other words, a strong contender for a spot in the seasonal box-office top ranks, but hardly something that will make history. Which is a shame considering the awesome and hard work that the artists and programmers have done - the details an the foundations for a solid game (I mean history-making solid) are all there - but the direction feels like it just wants you to get over with it and out of the theater ASAP.

@ game E dude your never to old i am build 1959 and still game my butt off

I thought id put in my 2 cents as its an interesting topic. I thought the op was much older the way you went on about being to old for games ect. But turns out your like 8 years younger than i am.
    I've played games all my life since i can remember on an atari. I havnt really stopped playing games since then and i play many many games, and gaming has changed and reverted back to differnt types of gameplay over the years.
    Right now i berlive because of graphics and technology, devs feel they have to do a cinimatic apporace to gaming , a more movie feel if you will. I think there still trying to figure out how to have those epic movie moments but in gameplay, its probably why we have these qte situations. But qte's arnt new they have been around for along time. Firs time i remember seing them was back in shenmue on the dreamcast and that now is quite awhile ago.
    I think even tomb raider legend has qte even on the first level in the game so its nothing new to tomb raider. I just think its used abit to much in this new game.

The game on a hole to me is just great in my opinion, it still feels like tomb raider just with a moden twist to it. But dont get me wrong i still long for the large tombs and just being alone in ancient building deep underground trying to figure out some elaberate puzzle for half an hour before i move on to do another one, and on the way get scared by some wolfs lol.
    I try to stay positive though, this game still brings good to the table. And ofc lara hasnt the experiance to do huge tombs quite yet, but as we have seen from the ending and the book she holds, it looks like we might be heading more in that direction in the next game.

Still if anything games have become today it is for sure is this stupid hand holding thing. And its because games are so much bigger today than they were years ago, they want to maximize the amout of people who wil play there game so they have to cater for a wider audiance which means they need to give players who havnt been playing games for 20 years , or those awho games just dont come natual to them someway to keep progressing threw the game.
    I think one answer to fix this and please the two groups which i feel is the ops main issue here is to have options to increase difficualty more than 3 settings, to be able to bypass these fight / shooting galarys as the op calls it by things like stelth, finding alternate routes using jumping puzzles ect would be a good way to go about it, and having the options in menu to turn on or off that survival vision ect.

Still i will say games wont go back to how they were 10-15 years ago sadly, and as i said before its because games need to apeal to a wider audienace so they dumb down mechanics. I think the key is just giving the user multiple options to do things.

As for the new tomb raider i enjoyed it alot, it wasnt quite the tomb raider of old, but for a moden take on tr i think it done well and its a good start to what i hope will be improved apon in the next game with proper tombs and puzzles everywhere.
    The combat i must say is enjoyable you have alot of options to take out people and i think it really comes down to how inventive you are. You can just hug a wall and shoot until evryone is dead, but its alot more fun to try and use fire and take out peoples legs for the finishing move, and the ai i feel is very organic and reacts well to things. The fight with the samuri toward the end of the game was amazing and i really felt scared of those masked warriors.
    As for the end boss fight, i duno why your complaiing about that fight really, its really not much differnt to some of the old fights in previous tomb raider games , its a shame i gues you dont have to do anything more than shoot him but it was still enjoyable.

What else, you talk about how collectables are terrble and how there in all games now days, well yeh sure ofc they are people ocd over that stuff, but again its nothing new in tomb raider, they have always been tresues to find that you never had to in tomb raider, that is nothing new. Maybe buring down sun flags is going to far but the rest i enjoyed.

As for the killing in this game, sure you probably kill more people in this game and have no choice not to in places, somthing i hope they give you the option in the next game, yet still people talk about this like you never killed people in older tomb raider games. I suggest you go back and play tomb raider legend for example, in the first level alone you must kill like 20 or 30 henchmen before you even do any tomb raiding.
    I know its a lame thing to say but nostalga defo makes you remember things better. Tomb raider one is probably my fav game because of it, but i havnt played it for years because i feel if i go back i might not find it as great as i remember it to be.

Its a shame your going to end your tomb raiding here in 2013, i do feel that the next tomb raider will be much more about tomb raiding, this is after all the evolution of lara into a hero and she cant just go raiding tombs in her first reboot adventure. Keep the faith and see what cd do in the next tomb raider game i say.

As for tomb raider 2013, i say well done cd, you outdid yourselfs and i enjoyed it alot, but i do also hope you remember the routes of tomb raider, and dont take the "tomb" out of tomb raider.

I miss old lara's biography. I don't like how it's changed so often over the years, though this was a welcome back to her roots (almost). I enjoyed it.

Ok, I am respect your opinion about old gaming. But when they call this is a reboot, all those old should be change. And it worked. Ofcourse that it may satisfied a lot of new gamers, a lot of old gamers but ofcourse still dissapointed with some old gamers, too. But this changes is good. Tomb Raider can't be the same control with TR1 to 6 which is very annoying and terrible control, slow and not entertain anymore. I agree about the puzzles of this new TR never get me challenge but still enjoyable. The story of this new reboot is good, and I can see how Lara feels not just super girl like the old (eventhough we can still see her feeling in some cutsences - if you play TRA, but not much and not emotional like the reboot has made). But once agan, I respect your opinions. But if I was you, I will not let myself thinking nagative about the reboot because after all, I love Lara more than just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by JapaneseIsland View Post
    I don't really like this post.
    I wish people saw what I saw.
    That 'Tomb Raider' IS indeed actually Tomb Raider.
    k.
    Yep, me too. This new Tomb Raider actually TOMB RAIDER. TR is already action/adventure not adventure/action. This new include a lot of exploration, secret tombs, shooting and everything else. If this reboot is the first original one. Maybe no one ever complain about this.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast