Page 86 of 126 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 3148

Thread: Lara & Sam! | please read OP before posting!

  1. #2126
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,475
    It might sound stupid but your username just made me think you were male, perhaps if it were Wilde I'd have thought differently

    I also agree with your point about catering to people (Perhaps not as strongly though)
    signature image

  2. #2127
    Wilde.

  3. #2128
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,475
    What?

    Like Olivia Wilde
    signature image

  4. #2129
    Ohhh, good one.
    It sounded like a german version of Wild. ;P

  5. #2130
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,475
    Oddly enough, I don't actually know much German
    signature image

  6. #2131
    Me neither. ;P

  7. #2132
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    Ohhh, good one.
    It sounded like a german version of Wild. ;P
    Actually "wild" is already German.
    What if just the stickers are "made in Germany"?
    Deviantart for some TR Renderings... and LaraxSam.

  8. #2133
    I hope it means what it actually means. XD

  9. #2134
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,542
    Quote Originally Posted by girlyB View Post


    I think putting it in a relationship would be bad for Tomb Raider. Lara being alone does not mean you dont have feelings. At this point I agree with SQUARED of "not having time for other things"

    From the other direction, Lara doesn't have to be alone to be strong and adventurous

    I also strongly disagree with the explanation "She's too busy to get involved with people". To be very blunt that is a hollow excuse. Being committed and dedicated to one's vocation still leaves room for a little down time here and there. People use the expression "24/7" way too literally sometimes, forgetting that it's just an expression.

    I mean seriously, if someone spends 10-14 hrs a day, 6-7 days a week on their pursuits, would you ever question their dedication? Would you tell that person, "hey, if you were really dedicated, those 5 hours you spent to check out a magazine and spend a few minutes with family would have been spent on your project instead". That's just insanity.

    So even the busiest people, from doctors to lawyers, to CEO's of billion dollar corporations still have a few minutes they spare to get away from their occupations. Even soldiers spending months overseas still have relationships. Because ultimately when you find someone that connects with you on the most intimate level, it becomes worth working into your life no matter the challenges of your occupational time frame.

    And lastly, the argument that it's better to leave Lara's sexuality and/or emotional context ambiguous, just leave it to the fans to come to their own conclusions.

    A also disagree with this viewpoint. To me that smacks of indecisiveness on part of the writers. The way I see it, strong and well founded character development means fully exploring all the layers and depths that defines the character - to really give insight to the audience the kind of person they're sharing the journey with.

    Quite the opposite to what some are advocating here, the more of what's under the surface that we're exposed to (or basically the more we know about them), the stronger we connect with them. If parts of the personality are left undeveloped, more often the audience has little reason or motivation to care. It comes down to, "That is such an empty character, and there's so much better written out there that drives a better story in the game".
    signature image

  10. #2135
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,159

  11. #2136
    @Adobe, hmm, gotta disagree with you a lil about sexuality. I've know characters without having their sexuality voiced (Nilin Cartier - Wells from Remember me and Ellie from tlou comes to mind) and they're interesting and you get to feel them and care for them... and i've known characters with their sexuality all over the place being boring, shallow, uninteresting etc... if they already have a full, great personality without their sexuality mentioned, they're still interesting.

    I'll admit though, I kinda see your point there because i feel more closer with a gay lady than a straight lady and since Lara Croft is one of my most favorite characters, is also the reason why i want the devs to keep her sexuality ambiguous.
    It's easiest to imagine and feel closer to the character and their sexuality is if it's not mentioned in the game.

  12. #2137
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    6,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    @Adobe, hmm, gotta disagree with you a lil about sexuality. I've know characters without having their sexuality voiced (Nilin Cartier - Wells from Remember me and Ellie from tlou comes to mind) and they're interesting and you get to feel them and care for them... and i've known characters with their sexuality all over the place being boring, shallow, uninteresting etc... if they already have a full, great personality without their sexuality mentioned, they're still interesting.

    I'll admit though, I kinda see your point there because i feel more closer with a gay lady than a straight lady and since Lara Croft is one of my most favorite characters, is also the reason why i want the devs to keep her sexuality ambiguous.
    It's easiest to imagine and feel closer to the character and their sexuality is if it's not mentioned in the game.
    agree partly with you there. characters can be still interesting (or not) with or without knowing their sexuality.
    in remember me, she is really to busy getting her life back together after her memory was lost. so its obvious that she has no time for any kind of romance. even i would not chaise women or guys (even when im straight) when my memory is gone.

    but with lara, we know what she likes to do. and thats where i have to agree with adobe that lara certainly should have some time for other things besides raiding tombs. lara can for sure spend some time with friends or her lover and still do whats she likes to do.

    just think about shepard in ME. he/she has a huge responsibility to safe the universe from the reaper invasion. now thats big, but he/she still find some time to talk to friends, crew and even time with his/her lover. and this time im not considering the choice option we have in the game.

    i like to see lara letting her hair down for once. everyone needs a break from their work at some point. and i think it would be a fun little treat to wonder around with sam in a town or city or where ever, without killing anything or raiding around.
    signature image

  13. #2138
    According to the importance of sexuality of a character and the fully exploring of all the layers and depths that defines the character, in general, I think there is a difference between characters that only appear in one game and characters like Lara, we will probably (hopefully) have forever.
    What if just the stickers are "made in Germany"?
    Deviantart for some TR Renderings... and LaraxSam.

  14. #2139
    If they *have* to give Lara a sexuality, then bisexual is the way to go so everyone is satisfied. :3


    @Vabanes, i personally cared deeply for Nilin and Ellie, even if they only appeared in one game.... I guess it depends on people's personal preferences.

    Nathan Drake on the other hand, who has a trilogy, is interesting as a brick. ;P

    Doesn't matter if they did more or one game...

  15. #2140
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    6,497
    Quote Originally Posted by VaBanes View Post
    According to the importance of sexuality of a character and the fully exploring of all the layers and depths that defines the character, in general, I think there is a difference between characters that only appear in one game and characters like Lara, we will probably (hopefully) have forever.

    yeah. we have the right to know her better .....oh, ehm

    i agree. in AC2, we had more games about ezio and each game said more about him. just in this case, we knew pretty quickly what he likes
    signature image

  16. #2141
    @adobe / all

    Well, what I see is that some people want Lara, in a part of your life, appears to be a normal person.

    But we must remember that it is a game character. So I think it should be "different" and escape reality.

    I dont know if I can express what I think, but since the advent of Tomb Raider, she was so dedicated to HERSELF. And I dont think that's bad, I think the worst change that feature her now.

    Lara relating with friends, or I know there would not be a normal thing and cloying? This is so normal. I think in game has to be different.

    And put Lara with Sam or some relationship would be too risky, some people probably would not like. Thinking thus, the ideal is to please all fans (and not only parts) then let Lara continues the way she is, is best.

    I hope that google has not made confusion with what I wrote.

  17. #2142
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    6,497
    Quote Originally Posted by girlyB View Post
    @adobe / all

    Well, what I see is that some people want Lara, in a part of your life, appears to be a normal person.

    But we must remember that it is a game character. So I think it should be "different" and escape reality.

    I dont know if I can express what I think, but since the advent of Tomb Raider, she was so dedicated to HERSELF. And I dont think that's bad, I think the worst change that feature her now.

    Lara relating with friends, or I know there would not be a normal thing and cloying? This is so normal. I think in game has to be different.

    And put Lara with Sam or some relationship would be too risky, some people probably would not like. Thinking thus, the ideal is to please all fans (and not only parts) then let Lara continues the way she is, is best.

    I hope that google has not made confusion with what I wrote.



    just kidding. its clear enough.

    its always hard to please everyone. some people dont like the 18+ rating either. or generally how the new TR looks like. you cant win them all.

    i agree that a game is a game and should not always be 100% realistic. but at times, certain stories/characters have to be explained that are close enough to real life.

    these days people like to find some sort of connection to the character they play or even feel for them. sure, there are characters you might not like like maybe duke nukem, but thats a matter of taste then.
    if it would be just a simple "here you are, go there, get this/do this, and shoot enemies on your way" approach, people will ask them self why they should care for the protagonist if the developers give the character a name and a quick background story and in the end nothing gets explained about him/her.

    in this case CD spend a lot of time developing the character how she cares for her friends, the emotions she has, reactions, etc. this got our interest and people like to know more about her. which means how she is in her private life.

    im not talking about relationships now. just general social behavior a person would do more or less.
    signature image

  18. #2143
    I saw Lara and Sam only as good friends and would rather keep it that way in the future.

    In my opinion , a good intimate platonic relationship with sam will give all the advantages ( fleshing out lara's character , her humanity etc ) that a sexual relationship would bring bypassing all the complaints, worries or issues people will have if Lara hooks up with Sam.

    I want to see Sam as a sister who is Lara's emotional rock. After the traumatizing events of the last game , Sam helps to preserve Lara's humanity by connecting her to the real world outside of her tomb raiding adventures. And she also helps her loosen up and have a laugh from time to time .

    Sam and Lara should be like Hermione and Harry from the Harry Potter series

  19. #2144
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    Sam and Lara should be like Hermione and Harry from the Harry Potter series
    Naw... both of them have boyfriends/girlfriends. I think Frodo and Sam are a better example.
    What if just the stickers are "made in Germany"?
    Deviantart for some TR Renderings... and LaraxSam.

  20. #2145
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,475
    I think Alice and Caroline are the best example

    (You get a cookie if you can tell me what they're from)
    signature image

  21. #2146
    Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    I think Alice and Caroline are the best example

    (You get a cookie if you can tell me what they're from)
    Sure! But Frodo and Sam is the best example for what he meant, imo. But it is not the best solution in general. ^^
    What if just the stickers are "made in Germany"?
    Deviantart for some TR Renderings... and LaraxSam.

  22. #2147
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    I saw Lara and Sam only as good friends and would rather keep it that way in the future.

    In my opinion , a good intimate platonic relationship with sam will give all the advantages ( fleshing out lara's character , her humanity etc ) that a sexual relationship would bring bypassing all the complaints, worries or issues people will have if Lara hooks up with Sam.

    I want to see Sam as a sister who is Lara's emotional rock. After the traumatizing events of the last game , Sam helps to preserve Lara's humanity by connecting her to the real world outside of her tomb raiding adventures. And she also helps her loosen up and have a laugh from time to time .

    Sam and Lara should be like Hermione and Harry from the Harry Potter series
    This so much. I prefer to see them as very lose friends, but just friends. That scene, where Lara walks out with Sam from the burning throne room holding her hands, I enjoyed it so much because you don't see often. A strong woman guiding her friend through trouble. Lara looked badass, and yet there was a hint of childishness in the way she was holding Sam's hand. Loved it. I hope Sam, too, comes out stronger from the experience of Yamatai. I know people don't have much love for her, but with some fine tuning, she too can be a great character in her own right and an appropriate sidekick for Lara. I wish to see that burning room scene return in future games: Two strong, independent women propping up each other, yet remain just friends. How often do we see it?

    Although I prefer Lara to be single, I've got no backbreaking problem if they do indeed decide to involve her in a relationship. I just wish it is someone other than Sam. A Lara x Sam nonsexual relationship, in my eyes, has a much much more potential than them being in relationship. Making them couple would squander that opportunity away. Get Lara with someone else, I'm sure there would be no shortage of both men and women lining up for her. xD

  23. #2148
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate1802 View Post
    Although I prefer Lara to be single, I've got no backbreaking problem if they do indeed decide to involve her in a relationship. I just wish it is someone other than Sam.
    A Lara x Sam nonsexual relationship, in my eyes, has a much much more potential than them being in relationship. Making them couple would squander that opportunity away. Get Lara with someone else, I'm sure there would be no shortage of both men and women lining up for her. xD
    I don't think this is a good idea. I would like it more if Sam keeps being the only really important person in Lara's life.

    I would rather prefer her to stay single forever than being in a relationship with someone else. I think a relationship is a bit out of place anyway but Lara should be able to have that kind of feelings that normaly lead into relationships since she is human now. And, in my opinion, the best way to do this is Lara being at least (potentially) emotional attracted to Sam and vice versa, even if they're not together at all. ^^

    But you are totally right about the people's hate of Sam. I hope she will get a really important role in the sequel to become, as you said, a great character in her own right and an appropriate sidekick for Lara.
    What if just the stickers are "made in Germany"?
    Deviantart for some TR Renderings... and LaraxSam.

  24. #2149
    Ha! You like Sam so much that you'd rather have Lara remain single than be with someone else? I meant IF they absolutely have to give her a relationship I'd prefer it not to be Sam. I think the devs are inclined towards a no-relationship mode which is what I prefer. And if Lara is human now (was she an alien earlier? :O lol keeding) then why can't she have an important relationship with more than one person? Its just that I like the friend Lara x Sam more than couple Lara x Sam :|

    And someone from the writing team did say Sam has a very important role in the comic, so there's hope! xD

  25. #2150
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate1802 View Post
    Ha! You like Sam so much that you'd rather have Lara remain single than be with someone else?
    No and yes.

    I don't know how to say that but I think a third person Lara suddenly falls in love with is kinda out of place. If Lara would have a boyfriend/girldfriend (someone else than Sam) I think Sam would become very unimportant.
    For example, if all of them would come into a situation, where only one can be rescued, I think Lara would choose her boy-/girlfriend over a friend. And that's a problem in my opinion. Like I said they don't even need to be in a relationship but Sam should definitely stay the only/the most important person for her, since she already was in the first game after Roth died. ^^

    The Lara x Sam thing as more than friends would enhance that, imo, and would also be a nice bonus for a more realistic and human Lara. It is also something fresh than another simple boy-girl relationship. ^^
    What if just the stickers are "made in Germany"?
    Deviantart for some TR Renderings... and LaraxSam.

Page 86 of 126 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •