Page 23 of 126 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 3148

Thread: Lara & Sam! | please read OP before posting!

  1. #551
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Quote Originally Posted by gitb90 View Post
    I've never known Lara get scrutiny...Like ever.


    You must've been living under a rock these past 16 years then

    Quote Originally Posted by gitb90 View Post
    Nathan Drake doesnt get it because hes not a super popular male character imo
    I've seen ND get plenty of flak. Maybe not as much as Lara, no, but that's because he's male and probably also because he's the new kid around the block compared to LC.

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  2. #552
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    6,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipp View Post


    I genuinely found Lara's story much more enjoyable because she did have all of those emotional ties. Some were greater than others (poor Jonah was just kinda there), but her desire to save Sam was such a burning force. I say this outside of my #TeamSam box. While experiencing Lara's struggle to survive was amazing in itself; the fact she had so much determination to save the rest of her friends, and particularly Sam, just made the whole experience even better. Watching her charge into impossible situations to save Sam left a greater impact on me than if she was doing it only to save herself.

    So with that said.. those of you that are opposed to a love interest in TR games, what was your opinion on the strong friendship that was introduced? Do you feel like it took away or added to the story? (In a lot of ways, if Lara had simply been a male instead, her entire situation with Sam wouldn't be all that different from typical hero saves and gets the girl scenario)

    my thoughts as well. it would be so obvious if a man would be saving sam or at least trying to save sam from getting burned. it would be the typical scenario we all know.
    but a woman saving a other woman, and they are really close friends on top of it (or even more), now thats something you dont see a lot in games or movies. in fact, i cant really remember seeing this in any game or movie. and no , i dont count alien 2 rescue scene as one of them. ripley saw the little girl as her daughter.

    lara really took some beating after she tried to save sam from the fire. that was actually surprising that she really pulled it off, even when she knew in her back of her head she cant fight everyone.
    for this, lara gets a lot of respect from me and more or less this scene alone, gives me the impression that there is more between her and sam then good friendship.
    but thats my view of course.


    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post


    I've seen ND get plenty of flak. Maybe not as much as Lara, no, but that's because he's male and probably also because he's the new kid around the block compared to LC.
    maybe because the games are only for the PS exclusive and no other platforms. drake doesnt mean anything to me because i never had the chance to play any of the games.
    signature image

  3. #553
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post
    maybe because the games are only for the PS exclusive and no other platforms. drake doesnt mean anything to me because i never had the chance to play any of the games.
    He doesn't mean anything to anybody because there is a legion of his likes.

  4. #554
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    6,497
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimAquatic View Post
    He doesn't mean anything to anybody because there is a legion of his likes.
    lol, if you say so.
    signature image

  5. #555
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post
    lol, if you say so.
    Well, I haven't played the games myself. I just watched Let's Play videos of all three of them. The most memorable thing for me is how deformed was the face of Claudia Black's character in the second game. Thank goodness they fixed it for the third installment.

    He is just one of many white straight male characters (he might even be Christian). And in no way he can be judged as a spokesman for any of these traits. Unlike Lara who has always been seen as a woman first.

    P.S. Please, I beg all of you, don't call Lara LC. It reminds me of Laguna Beach and The Hills. The horror.

  6. #556
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom, West Midlands
    Posts
    1,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post


    You must've been living under a rock these past 16 years then



    I've seen ND get plenty of flak. Maybe not as much as Lara, no, but that's because he's male and probably also because he's the new kid around the block compared to LC.
    I tend to steer away from anything negative about Lara unless its my own opinion so perhaps thats why. But seriously ND shouldnt be compared to Lara because i dont think hes anywhere near Laras level

  7. #557
    Lara croft is better than ND in my opinion
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

  8. #558
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom, West Midlands
    Posts
    1,821

  9. #559
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Quote Originally Posted by gitb90 View Post
    I tend to steer away from anything negative about Lara unless its my own opinion so perhaps thats why. But seriously ND shouldnt be compared to Lara because i dont think hes anywhere near Laras level
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnaBass View Post
    Lara croft is better than ND in my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by gitb90 View Post
    Totally agree
    lol, like anyone on a TR forum would say differently anyway

    But yeah, LC > ND. ND does not even come close


    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  10. #560
    Oh my god I remember that video it was on the tumblr blog awhile ago.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

  11. #561
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom, West Midlands
    Posts
    1,821
    That was awesome :')

  12. #562
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,400
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I find Nathan Drake's character to be pretty awesome and I'm a huge fan of the games. It always brakes my heart to come here and see so much dislike for the character...
    signature image

  13. #563
    I own PS3 and I don't even own any of the Uncharted games
    signature image

  14. #564
    To be honest I've played every uncharted game, it's not as good as tomb raider in my opinion
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

  15. #565
    I once played Uncharted 2 demo and I KEPT DYING OMG
    signature image

  16. #566
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    6,497
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimAquatic View Post
    Well, I haven't played the games myself. I just watched Let's Play videos of all three of them. The most memorable thing for me is how deformed was the face of Claudia Black's character in the second game. Thank goodness they fixed it for the third installment.

    He is just one of many white straight male characters (he might even be Christian). And in no way he can be judged as a spokesman for any of these traits. Unlike Lara who has always been seen as a woman first.

    P.S. Please, I beg all of you, don't call her Lara LC. It reminds me of Laguna Beach and The Hills. The horror.
    now i understand what you mean. i never really watched any gameplay videos and not really intending to do so. well, i cant give any comments on that because i would be so wrong about him. still prefer women kicking ass. much sexier
    signature image

  17. #567
    Quote Originally Posted by gitb90 View Post
    Some things in this interview annoyed me and caused me to research her a bit more and I even asked about her to my boyfriend who commented on how she had the involvement in gay relationships in Mass Effect and how badly done they were.
    Does your boyfriend have some source (i.e. link)? I have followed Bioware for some time and her name never appeared anywhere. Google just told me that she was involved on first Mass Effect where gay relationship"s" meant Liara and she was pretty standard Bioware's MO.
    Please don't take it personally but has your boyfriend played these romances? Afaik, the most flack has gotten male heterosexual romances for how a majority of them ended while criticism of S/S has been mostly how their sexuality and gay agenda were "shoved in their face" (interestingly, only in the case of male character) or how player's Shepard was made gay despite them probably consistently playing a womanizer.

    Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I find Nathan Drake's character to be pretty awesome and I'm a huge fan of the games. It always brakes my heart to come here and see so much dislike for the character...
    I'm not exactly his fan but I liked him enough. He isn't your usual tough guy who never smiles and speaks only through bullets. And the "I just slashed 5 guys... Haha, party now?" discrepancy felt like it reflected Nathan's apathy to a death of human. I liked that.
    Only issues I have with Uncharted is that it isn't on PC ( ) and that all female characters are either Drake's love interest or too old and so sorted into "bad guys" category.

    And of course, I think of Nathan as a spokesman for all men with write heterosexual agenda. #joking

  18. #568
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    622
    I hate UC.
    Yes, you heard me, I hate UNCHARTED
    Maybe it's just me..
    The story for UC3 was just boring, The comedy part of it was boring.
    When i even try to make Nate to move, He reacted like 2-3 Seconds after i pushed a button.
    Nate's character was plain stupid.
    TR 4Ever i Guess.

  19. #569
    Love the Uncharted series. Drake's character is every bit as good as Lara, and his banter with Sully and the other characters (allies) is hilarious. Drake is every bit as intelligent as Lara. He learned by the school of hard knocks, and became just as great an adventurer as Lara. So what if he doesn't have an English accent, or didn't go to university, or gain some kind of title (like prior Lara's)? People think him buffoonish because he can crack jokes, and Lara can't.

    Games played great. Graphics are gorgeous....and playing the game felt more like playing a big screen, PG-13 action adventure film than any other game I've ever played, including Tomb Raider (which I do love).

    Folks here just hate him because of their bias toward Lara Croft. It's simple fanboi/fangurl-ism.

    Granted, between the two, I'd much rather look at Lara from behind.

    It's the same B.S. as comparing Star Wars to Star Trek. Some folks are going to say that Lara (Star Trek) is much more intelligent than Drake (Star Wars). Some folks are going to say that Drake (Star Wars) is less inclined to nerds than Lara (Star Trek). Star Wars and Star Trek both have equal footed places in my heart....frak all the fanbois/fangirls. (And yeah, THAT's a Battlestar Galactica reference! )

    Lara and Drake both have places in my heart as a gamer...places on equal footing. Sorry, Lara fans, but Drake is every bit as kick a** and cool a character as Lara.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  20. #570
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    Folks here just hate him because of their bias toward Lara Croft. Granted, between the two, I'd much rather look at Lara from behind.

    It's the same B.S. as comparing Star Wars to Star Trek. Some folks are going to say that Lara (Star Trek) is much more intelligent than Drake (Star Wars). Some folks are going to say that Drake (Star Wars) is less inclined to nerds than Lara (Star Trek).
    I don't hate Nathan, I hate the game. Sure, he has his funny moments but the game itself is just... Mehh with all the shooting and mehh

    As for Star Trek vs. Star Wars, SW has more originality in it's plot lines whereas ST is just a whole lot better, well, Voyager at least
    signature image

  21. #571
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    Love the Uncharted series. Drake's character is every bit as good as Lara, and his banter with Sully and the other characters (allies) is hilarious. Drake is every bit as intelligent as Lara. He learned by the school of hard knocks, and became just as great an adventurer as Lara. So what if he doesn't have an English accent, or didn't go to university, or gain some kind of title (like prior Lara's)? People think him buffoonish because he can crack jokes, and Lara can't.

    Games played great. Graphics are gorgeous....and playing the game felt more like playing a big screen, PG-13 action adventure film than any other game I've ever played, including Tomb Raider (which I do love).

    Folks here just hate him because of their bias toward Lara Croft. It's simple fanboi/fangurl-ism.

    Granted, between the two, I'd much rather look at Lara from behind.

    It's the same B.S. as comparing Star Wars to Star Trek. Some folks are going to say that Lara (Star Trek) is much more intelligent than Drake (Star Wars). Some folks are going to say that Drake (Star Wars) is less inclined to nerds than Lara (Star Trek). Star Wars and Star Trek both have equal footed places in my heart....frak all the fanbois/fangirls. (And yeah, THAT's a Battlestar Galactica reference! )

    Lara and Drake both have places in my heart as a gamer...places on equal footing. Sorry, Lara fans, but Drake is every bit as kick a** and cool a character as Lara.
    I agree with you 100%!!!
    signature image

  22. #572
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    Drake's character is every bit as good as Lara
    If we're talking about new Lara, that statement isn't even close to be true.

    Lara is a good character not because she kicks ass, but because she changes on our very eyes. We know what Lara was like before the adventure, what she became after, and how the adventure affected her. That's called character development, and that's what unravels the plot.

    Nathan doesn't change. At all. What he was at the beginning of his search for Drake's treasure he remains after he found Iram of the Pillars. There is no character development.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    Folks here just hate him because of their bias toward Lara Croft.
    I don't care about him enough to hate him. I just don't like compare Uncharted and Tomb Raider. It's like comparing Raiders of the Lost Arc and The Descent.

  23. #573
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    6,497
    the poll clearly indicates that lara should be hetero. looks like we 12 lose
    ok, im not that sad, still an interesting view to see lara and sam together

    would be interesting to know how you guys would see lara and sam then. would they still be together, going on adventures or sam stays away from lara because she is afraid to that somehting happens to her because she doenst have this strong will as lara?
    signature image

  24. #574
    Quote Originally Posted by a big house
    I don't hate Nathan, I hate the game. Sure, he has his funny moments but the game itself is just... Mehh with all the shooting and mehh

    As for Star Trek vs. Star Wars, SW has more originality in it's plot lines whereas ST is just a whole lot better, well, Voyager at least.

    I can see where some folks might be turned off by the shooting mechanics in the UC games.

    And I loved Voyager, too. Even liked Enterprise.

    Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel
    I agree with you 100%!!!
    I knew you were a being of impeccable taste.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrimAquatic
    If we're talking about new Lara, that statement isn't even close to be true.

    Lara is a good character not because she kicks ass, but because she changes on our very eyes. We know what Lara was like before the adventure, what she became after, and how the adventure affected her. That's called character development, and that's what unravels the plot.

    Nathan doesn't change. At all. What he was at the beginning of his search for Drake's treasure he remains after he found Iram of the Pillars. There is no character development.
    I'd beg to differ. Lara, we saw make all these changes over one game, and I'll grant that it is easier to see character development over a short period of time than it is over a trilogy of games. But Drake's character grew as well, and in the third game, he went through some pretty harrowing stuff to reach some of the decisions he took by game's end. We also learn about Drake's past in the third game....so, it cannot be said we don't know what Nathan was like before he became the character he is today.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrimAquatic
    I don't care about him enough to hate him. I just don't like compare Uncharted and Tomb Raider. It's like comparing Raiders of the Lost Arc and The Descent.
    I've never seen The Descent, so I would not be qualified to make a comparison. Although, that said, isn't The Descent the movie about the group of girls who go on a cave expedition, and things kinda go down hill for them from there? If that's the case, I can see the comparison being apples and oranges.


    Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks
    would be interesting to know how you guys would see lara and sam then. would they still be together, going on adventures or sam stays away from lara because she is afraid to that somehting happens to her because she doenst have this strong will as lara?
    Regardless of what turns out of Lara and Sam's relationship, I would still like to see Sam continue to be a part of Lara's new journey...not as a damsel in distress, but as a valued ally and asset, as well as a good friend.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  25. #575
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    I'd beg to differ. Lara, we saw make all these changes over one game, and I'll grant that it is easier to see character development over a short period of time than it is over a trilogy of games. But Drake's character grew as well, and in the third game, he went through some pretty harrowing stuff to reach some of the decisions he took by game's end.
    I don't recall any poignant moments in the third game. I also should note that development is not always growth of the character, it could very well be degradation, or neutral changes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    I've never seen The Descent, so I would not be qualified to make a comparison. Although, that said, isn't The Descent the movie about the group of girls who go on a cave expedition, and things kinda go down hill for them from there? If that's the case, I can see the comparison being apples and oranges.
    Yeah, pretty much.

Page 23 of 126 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •