Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Player Tips & Tricks thread

Post your player tips and tricks in this thread!

Here's a summary of the tips and tricks posted in this thread by members:

Manual Waypoints

This is the most useful one that I was not aware of at first.
    On the map you can press X to set a manual waypoint, for example, on a relic.
    When you enable 'Survival Instinct' the relic is highlighted with a blue beam & you can see the object through walls & see how high it is, etc.

Turning off the torch

You can hold O to put out a torch. I was switching to a two handed weapon to put it out...D'oh!

Roll

Two long taps of O and Lara rolls.

Auto-Targeting

Tap the dodge button whilst aiming (L1) & Lara will then auto-target the enemy.

Get a better view of the action

When you aim, press L3 (or whatever is the PC/360 equivalent) to make the camera move to the left of Lara to get a better view of the action when standing behind a column or a wall.
    Press L3 again to toggle back to normal view.

Unlimited Saves

Save game saves on a usb to have multiple saves, instead of using those 3 save slots or incase a bug corrupts those 3 save slots.

Shield enemies

If you are having trouble with multiple shield enemies then use the fire arrows, it helps if you have the arrows turned into napalm so the enemies catch a light quickly.
    signature image

This is in the tutorial though except roll, but the torch one was rift before you meet same and Mathias in the beginning, but they are on the load screens as well good find though for people who didn't know
    signature image

Very handy for folks who missed this in the game's instructions

Does anyone know if we already have a "tips and tricks" thread? I feel like we need one if we haven't already.

If not, I can make this one the official tips and tricks thread and award it with a sticky

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Very handy for folks who missed this in the game's instructions

Does anyone know if we already have a "tips and tricks" thread? I feel like we need one if we haven't already.

If not, I can make this one the official tips and tricks thread and award it with a sticky
    DO IT!!!
    signature image

So....can you do the roll without scrambling? hat's what I wasn't sure of.

Mess. I wish I knew of the auto-aim whilst dodging thing whilst fighting a certain enemy in the game.
    signature image

^^ you can roll without scrambling first(unless you do it so fast you barely scramble) or if you fall from somewhere high and press O before you land(must require the SAFE LANDING PERK)

some walls can be wall scrambled to your advantage even when they arent white boards

Sometimes when aiming (with the bow)on standing cover lara Archer her back backwards to get a better view

many chinesse archs are balance beams in secret

also DONT WASTE SKILL POINTS ON THE ROCK FINISHER CUS IT WILL BE REPLACED WITH THE AXE FINISHER making the skill point get wasted
    TOMB RAIDER PUERTO RICO
    PS it says new gamer but im a tomb raider fanatic!!!!

Here's one that I haven't seen anyone mention on the forum yet before:

When you aim, press L3 (or whatever is the PC/360 equivalent) to make the camera move to the left of Lara to get a better view of the action when standing behind a column or a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    Mess. I wish I knew of the auto-aim whilst dodging thing whilst fighting a certain enemy in the game.
    Heh, it's explained relatively early on in the game, though. I also posted about it 2 days ago

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...72#post1870172

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Turning on the torch anywhere, (after you made the light signal), by holding the square button(PS3)

Quote Originally Posted by TranceTrouble View Post
    Turning on the torch anywhere, (after you made the light signal), by holding the square button(PS3)
    but isnt that obvious because it was part of the story that you HAD to do
    signature image

*dubs thread official and makes sticky*

Saving progress

PC gamers probably do this anyway, but console players should too.

Its easy to forget to do it, but every now and then change your save game slot. There are 3 on the consoles and you access them through the in-game menu.

That way, if you do need to go back for any reason you don't necessarily have to start from the beginning!
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    PC gamers probably do this anyway, but console players should too.

Its easy to forget to do it, but every now and then change your save game slot. There are 3 on the consoles and you access them through the in-game menu.

That way, if you do need to go back for any reason you don't necessarily have to start from the beginning!
    AWESOME TIP!!!

And to expand on Tecstar70's tip - you can have virtually unlimited save backups by moving your save files to a USB memory stick.

I've been doing this during my first playthrough on PS3 in case some bug would corrupt all 3 save slots. At the end of the day, I plug in a USB stick, copy all saves onto it and then rename the folder on my PC, so that I have an incremental backup every day.

I do this with other games, too

And to expand on Tecstar70's tip - you can have virtually unlimited save backups by moving your save files to a USB memory stick.

I've been doing this during my first playthrough on PS3 in case some bug would corrupt all 3 save slots. At the end of the day, I plug in a USB stick, copy all saves onto it and then rename the folder on my PC, so that I have an incremental backup every day.

I do this with other games, too
    oooh i like that!
    signature image

Is anyone interested in maintaining the OP of this thread, adding every useful tip and trick to the OP on a regular basis?

Is anyone interested in maintaining the OP of this thread, adding every useful tip and trick to the OP on a regular basis?
    ok i will give it a try but im not on all the time due to school and all that
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by TheTombExplorer View Post
    ok i will give it a try but im not on all the time due to school and all that
    Great! Can you do one of the posts so far and send it to me via PM? I'll then put it into the OP

On X360 it's *Press right stick*

Another tip, PLAY ON HARD! Hard is the perfect difficulty, it's not too hard nor too easy (duh). Normal mode was waaaayyyy too easy IMO.

Also, I wouldn't really invest skillpoints in any perk concerning animals. You'll get 99% of your xp from looting food cache's and corpses of slain scavengers.

Heh, it's explained relatively early on in the game, though. I also posted about it 2 days ago

I missed it, but I appreciate your detailed description of it. I was still slightly confused after I tried it in-game.
    signature image

I've got a tip for some of the beginners; this part bothered me for a while.

WARNING! MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!

First, you'll start at a camp site, start going down the walkway, there will be several (3-4 to be exact) guards right at the mouth of the exit. To your IMMEDIATE RIGHT, there will be the base of the mountain hidden by the trees. Keep pressing B to tumble and roll along the base, and KEEP DOING IT. If you wait, the guards will start to disperse and you'll have to sneak past.

Keep pressing B till you get to the water; Enter the water. Cross, and exit the water between the trees in front of the shack. Start pressing B again, to tumble along the base of the wall of the shack. If you do this, you will run into a waist high wall-fragment. Stay there, a guard will start to make his way up the path to the right of you. Stay there, don't move; he will stop walking and stand right in front of the wall. Wait a few seconds, and when he starts walking away, silently make your way up the stairs towards the entrance to the cave. Pull out your machine gun, and bounce a grenade off the wall so that it reflects into the cave. It'll go off, and at that moment, pull out your shot-gun and shoot the henchmen while they are still dazed. Sprint into the cave, because at this point the other guards and the wolves hear you and start to shoot. Pull out your bow, and open the door at the end of the walkway. You should be able to figure it out from here.

I'm posting this, because this part took me about an hour to do, and was really annoying; Figured I'd help.
    "Caroline: What's happening with you? What's your problem with pretty?
    Max: Don't wave your divas live hand at me"- 2 broke girls

How do I return to the chasm stronghold sections?
    Im so damn close to the no stone unturned achievement but apparently i didnt get the last two journal entries for Laras journals, the monestrary which is in a day camp in the chasm stronghold and one called the truth very last one, but cant get either cause i cant find a way back to the stronghold, the door i came through wnt open and the boat at the beach is gone and i cant find the passge at the mountain village to re start the path over again, please help me! im not beating the game til i do lol

Two posts up, quickly put some spoiler tags on that second line!!!!!!

^ Done. Also handed the OP to TTE who volunteered to maintain it and keep it up to date with all tips and tricks posted in this thread

signature image

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast