Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Console or PC?

Console or PC?

Edit by forum staff - please refrain from heavy PS3/360/PC "fanboy talk" to avoid console wars; keep the discussion helpful, constructive and civil. Thank you.

-----

Exactly like the title says Xbox or PC, I'm torn between what version to get, I just upgraded my pc to be up to spec and are getting back into pc gaming, but I own Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld on the Xbox, so I would really like to hear your feedback, and if they're willing I would love to hear the devs opinion too

Specs
    AMD 955 Black Edition
    Radeon 7850 HD, xfx DD edition
    8gb RAM
    and a DFI Lanparty motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by HowlingDogFish View Post
    Exactly like the title says Xbox or PC, I'm torn between what version to get, I just upgraded my pc to be up to spec and are getting back into pc gaming, but I own Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld on the Xbox, so I would really like to hear your feedback, and if they're willing I would love to hear the devs opinion too

Specs
    AMD 955 Black Edition
    8gb RAM
    I think you should get Xbox so you can keep the series going on Xbox 360
    signature image

get it for pc.
    better graphics, better controls, better everything . and your pc can surly handle the game. so dont worry.

i personally get it for pc only. already pre ordered my self the survival edition.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by TheTombExplorer View Post
    I doubt we'll see another TR coming to xbox 360. It'll more likely be released on xbox 720

Thank you guys for the feedback, I think I'm going to go PC, Steam is having a sale on it and the survival edition is still cheaper than the regular Xbox version, plus who doesn't like better visuals, especially in a game where visuals are so important to atmosphere

Thank you guys for the feedback, I think I'm going to go PC, Steam is having a sale on it and the survival edition is still cheaper than the regular Xbox version, plus who doesn't like better visuals, especially in a game where visuals are so important to atmosphere
    i guess your aware that steam has everything digital like the map, wile of course the retail version, you would have something solid in your hands. plus, the retail version has a very nice packaging (well, my opinion) which isnt in the steam version, so as the pouch.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...icle&id=293376

just to let you know in case you missed this info
    signature image

Both are great choices!
    signature image

I kinda understand it suxs that you are torned between two platforms. But if you have most games on xbox and probably future next gen consoles have backward compatibility for older titles... it could be best stick on xbox.

For me personally, PC is always the next gen.

Out of convenience, I'd personally get it on PC, but your question is nonsensical considering none of us here have ever played the game before in order to form an opinion of what to expect on each platform. I'd just hold your questions we get more details on the PC version and it's differences.
    signature image

Wow dude thx for posting that link, the box is beautiful, good point about the physical items, I was just thinking steam because I hate discs so much, lol, digital gaming is the future, but I might have to make an exception for this one, and is it just me or does it seem like the survivor edition comes with cooler stuff

Wow dude thx for posting that link, the box is beautiful, good point about the physical items, I was just thinking steam because I hate discs so much, lol, digital gaming is the future, but I might have to make an exception for this one, and is it just me or does it seem like the survivor edition comes with cooler stuff

you are welcome.

it depends what you like. if you check out the collectors edition:
    http://cdn2.gamefront.com/wp-content...ope.jpg?cda6c1

you see that you have a figurine. i personally dont like this figurine and also not particularly found of it either. but thats just me.
    and obviously steam is required to play the game. so even when you buy your self the retail version, you still need to activate it on steam.
    signature image

That's what I'm sayin, the collector's edition figure is ugly, the tin box is ugly, and I feel like I could just print the pic of laura on photo paper and get the same effect

That's what I'm sayin, the collector's edition figure is ugly, the tin box is ugly, and I feel like I could just print the pic of laura on photo paper and get the same effect
    lol. yeah. pretty much that.
    i just saw now that i forgot to add "tin" in my earlier post.
    thats why the SE is my choice and its cheaper as well glad i could help you out
    signature image

I'd advise against that, considering the next generation of consoles is right around the corner. There's no prize for playing an entire series on a single console, and in the end, he'd be saving money by continuing on using his PC for gaming until the next generation of consoles comes around.

I can't justify paying $300 for an Xbox 360 when the Xbox 720 isn't that far away.

(click image to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    I'd advise against that, considering the next generation of consoles is right around the corner. There's no prize for playing an entire series on a single console, and in the end, he'd be saving money by continuing on using his PC for gaming until the next generation of consoles comes around.

I can't justify paying $300 for an Xbox 360 when the Xbox 720 isn't that far away.
    Oh thats true
    signature image

xbox 360 or PC version?

Well I have an xbox 360, ps3 and a PC but can't decide which version to buy.
    I was going to get the xbox version, because of the timed exclusive DLC. Although I do have a good PC with an I5 4.2 CPU, 8 GB Ram and a Radeon HD 5850, so looking at the PC specs I could run it on recommended settings, and it looks like it is going to be a good port.
    What do you think? How long do you think it will be until the timed exclusive DLC is on the PC and ps3? I guess that factor is holding me back in making a decision.

Which are you most comfortable playing?
    What system are you friends playing so you can play MP with them?
    Which system do you use more?

Xbox timed DLC will most likely come to the other consoles
    signature image

Which are you most comfortable playing?
    What system are you friends playing so you can play MP with them?
    Which system do you use more?

Xbox timed DLC will most likely come to the other consoles
    I don't really play my xbox that often, but timed exclusive DLC does bothers me.
    Nowadays I use my PC more often but I guess it depends if it's a good port, which is not always the case. Fortunately it is for Tomb Raider. So I guess I could crank up the graphics settings, so it would be improved from the xbox version?
    I guess it all comes down to graphics vs timed DLC. If it's only weeks, then I guess it's no big deal but months? I'm not quite sure.

The game will look and run nicer on a PC that can handle it on the higher settings/resolutions, so if your PC meets the requirements and you're confident that you'll get a good experience, I'd say get the game on PC. You can always use an Xbox 360 controller if you're not happy with the Mouse and Keyboard set up.

That said, I'm not sure what the situation is with timed-exclusive DLC. If you're eager to play the DLC as soon as it's released, then the 360 may be the one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    The game will look and run nicer on a PC that can handle it on the higher settings/resolutions, so if your PC meets the requirements and you're confident that you'll get a good experience, I'd say get the game on PC. You can always use an Xbox 360 controller if you're not happy with the Mouse and Keyboard set up.

That said, I'm not sure what the situation is with timed-exclusive DLC. If you're eager to play the DLC as soon as it's released, then the 360 may be the one for you.
    well it is single player DLC, which apparantly takes place after the main game. If it was only maps, then I wouldn't really care. But yeah I would get dx 11 on the PC version, so bound to look a lot nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Morosi View Post
    well it is single player DLC, which apparantly takes place after the main game. If it was only maps, then I wouldn't really care. But yeah I would get dx 11 on the PC version, so bound to look a lot nicer.
    Personally, I'd get the PC version in that case. Tomb Raider is already a looker, but I can imagine that it'll look gorgeous on PC, with all the PC specific details that have just been revealed, and the performance should be improved over the console versions as well.

For your situation, you'll just have to decide which you'd prefer: visuals and performance or an early crack at more story content.

I would honestly say that if you can put up with Steam, get it on PC, if you can't then get it on X-Box.

It's known that the PC version will look enormously better if you have a decent machine, which you do.

As you have an X-Box, if you prefer the X-Box controller, you can just plug it into your PC. If you prefer m/kb, you can use that instead.

Literally the only disadvantage of the PC version that I know of is the absolute requirement for Steam. If you don't mind that, PC is surely the way to go.

Want proof? Meagan provides it:

Quote Originally Posted by MeaganMarie View Post

Tomb Raider PC System Requirements Revealed!

We’ve been a bit quiet about the PC version of Tomb Raider the past few months, but it’s all been building up to sharing some anticipated news today.

The PC version of Tomb Raider has been developed in tandem between Crystal Dynamics and long-time partner Nixxes, and we’re proud to be continuing this tradition. The relationship has spanned over a dozen PC titles, and dates back fifteen years. The PC edition also has the benefits of an ongoing partnership with AMD, with Tomb Raider extensively optimized to include unique AMD tech that supports AMD HD3D, AMD Eyefinity for capable PCs, and more.

So here it is – the full list of PC enhancements and features for Tomb Raider, including minimum and recommended system requirements!

System Requirements

Minimum system requirements for PC

• Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista,7,8 (32bit/64bit)
    • DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM:*AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT, nVidia 8600
    • Dual core CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2*2.1 Ghz (4050+), Intel Core2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (E6300)
    • 1GB Memory (2GB on Vista)*
    Recommended system requirements for PC

• Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
    • DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 4870, nVidia GTX 480
    • Quad core CPU: AMD Phenom II X2*565, Intel Core i5-750
    • 4GB Memory*
    PC Enhancements

General Features

• Full integration with Steamworks to offer cloud storage for saves, multiplayer matchmaking, achievements, as well as automatic updates and new content.
    • Support for Steam Big Picture Mode.
    • Configurable mouse and keyboard support.
    • Gamepad support.*
    High-end Graphics

• Very high resolution textures with up to 16x the amount of data
    • Detail Tessellation to enhance the detail on many surfaces in the game
    • Higher quality shadows
    • High quality bokeh depth of field with near-blur
    • Tessellation algorithms used to smooth out geometry
    • Improved cloth, SSAO, quality wetness effects, and post-filter effects.
    • LOD quality is adjustable for better quality on higher-end machines.*
    Low-End Graphics

• Crystal cares about TR fans being able to run on older systems, unlike many other games they still support Windows XP.
    • A lot of scalability options to suit a range of machines.*
    Chances are if you’re a PC buff, you’ve still got a handful of questions. In anticipation of some of the more common queries, we’ve tracked down the Director of Nixxes, Jurjen Katsman. Take a read through our Q&A below.

Q: Does Tomb Raider support Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8?

“We felt it was important for all the Tomb Raider fans to be able to play the game, so we tried to keep our OS support as wide as possible. So unlike some other recent games we do still run on Windows XP as well as on Windows Vista, Windows 7, as well as Windows 8. We are not Windows 8 Certified, which is a Microsoft label they use on their store. However, we do test extensively on Windows 8 and are making sure Windows 8 users get a great game experience.”

Q: Is Tomb Raider a Steamworks title?

“Yes, Tomb Raider uses Steamworks for achievements, Steam Cloud save games, multiplayer match making, as well as leaderboards.”

Q: Will Tomb Raider support Steam offline mode?

“Yes, the game will definitely run in offline mode. However, you will obviously not be able to participate in multiplayer games in this mode.”

Q: If I purchase a boxed copy of Tomb Raider, does that mean I’ll still be able to play it using Steam?

“Every copy of Tomb Raider will integrate with Steam and use the Steamworks features; it does not matter where you bought it.”

Q: Will the game require the disc to be in the computer or is it able to directly download from Steam?

“Yes, when you buy the game in a store you will get a CD-Key for Steam. Just entering this code on your Steam account will allow you to download the game, so you do not necessarily need the disk. The disk is just there so you do not have to download all that data.”

Q: Will there be any DRM?

“We do not believe in strong anti-consumer DRM methods, so apart from the game using Steamworks and it having to be authenticated with your Steam account there is no additional DRM.”

Q: Does the game support 120 hertz?

“On hardware that supports this it certainly will. We do not restrict what refresh rate or frame-rate the game will run at, it will run at whatever frame-rate and refresh rate your hardware will be capable of performance wise.”

Q: What are your plans for widescreen in Tomb Raider?

“We support AMD Eyefinity as well as NVIDIA Surround to allow you to connect multiple screens and create very wide displays.”
    If you’ve got additional questions, we’re planning a Q&A session on the Official Tomb Raider Forums on Monday, February 25 at 10:00 AM PST. We’re also aiming to have some stunning new PC screens next week!

Register on the forums and arm yourself with questions!*
    Note the 'PC Enhancements' section specifically.
    signature image

Okay thanks folks. Yes I use steam a lot and I do have an xbox wireless receiver, so I regulary use my xbox controller for the PC. There is also the issue that I don't have an xbox live gold subscription atm as I barely use the xbox. So I would have to subscribe for a year to play the multiplayer. Nowadays I mostly use my PC for multiplayer gaming in any case. It seems that the advantages of the PC version outweigh the negatives.
    I guess I will change my order to the PC collectors Edition instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Morosi View Post
    ...So I would have to subscribe for a year to play the multiplayer...
    No you don't, you can go to a game shop and buy a 3 month Gold subscription code
    signature image

Edit by forum staff - please refrain from heavy PS3/360/PC "fanboy talk" to avoid console wars; keep the discussion helpful, constructive and civil. Thank you.

-----

Specs
    AMD 955 Black Edition
    8gb RAM
    I say if your computer can handle the game then get it on PC.
    You can still use a controller if you want with the PC and also the graphics will be a lot better since they are including the High-res Textures which you won't get in the other versions.

I would say look at the PC specs and ask yourself if the extra PC in visuals are worth it.

As a PC gamer i was very happy they included the high-res textures which many other game companies don't.

If your computer can handle it then go for PC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast