Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official MEMBERS Reviews/First Impressions/Let's Play Thread

Official MEMBERS Reviews/First Impressions/Let's Play Thread

This will be thread dedicated to our own reviews of Tomb Raider game. I guess that it can be text or maybe YT video review... anything you like and want.

Guys that won contest and are getting their copies two days earlier... i am waiting for you!

Edit by staff - we're merging the members reviews thread and members first impressions thread as they are much of the same thing. See below the OP of the first impressions thread. Also, this thread will serve as a one-stop for all Let's Play videos from forum members, which we'll collect in this first post

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    So I come up with this idea that we can all post our first impression of the final version hands-on of Tomb Raider. And then I can add everyone's first impression on the very first post of this thread (right below).

So, for now, we have only one member's first impression. And its none other than Driber himself. The lucky guy got the game before us.

I can't wait to post my long first impression with screenshots and possibly video of my play-through. Here's how I will be doing it:

• My expression and how am I feeling when playing the game
    • The Good and Bad sides of the first few hours
    • Posting screenshots and videos of my play-through
    • And at last a rating at the scale of 10.
    Tomb Raider - First Impression of Eidos Forum Members

*Driber
    *Driber (Part 2)
    *Driber (Graphics)
    *TheBlade
    *goofy
    *Tecstar70
    *TRsy
    *GUMI
    *_Ninja_
    *Metalrocks
    *pidipidi39
    *Jurre
    *adobeARTIST
    *DarlinG
    *Shaikh
    *Rider
    *Timberley
    *Wh1t3Kn1te
    *JRod3108
    *schwarzman1

Tomb Raider - Reviews of Eidos Forum Members

*namitokiwa
    *Permarsan
    *Nycis
    *dagrome
    *chriss99
    *Lantea
    *VodkaSushiRoll
    *tokkebi
    *a big house
    *willbak
    *Jurre
    *Fox89
    *Lalight
    *just*raidin*tomb
    *Delty335
    *gtbka
    *daaceking
    *mbloof
    *TaLLa
    *OML Oh My Lara
    *Metalrocks
    *corruption64
    *Rinu
    *AireTam
    *Relight

Tomb Raider - Video Reviews of Eidos Forum Members

*TomLP
    *TastelessToast
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    This will be thread dedicated to our own reviews of Tomb Raider game. I guess that it can be text or maybe YT video review... anything you like and want.

Guys that won contest and are getting their copies two days earlier... i am waiting for you!
    Oh my god yes
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

Contest winners get their copies earlier? Blasphemous!

(click image to enlarge)

Ok great !!
    signature image

I haven't done my own review in ages. I keep meaning to with every new game I get but I get so distracted. Maybe this time I finally will.
    signature image

my review,

put disc in system, jaw falls down on opening sequence. mouth stays open the whole game. credits roll, can't talk and jaw is permanently frozen open.

thanks CD

I'm going to have to write two reviews.
    I write for a gaming website and reviews posted there are supposed to be "exclusive."

Oh well. You guys will get an extra special one.

(click image to enlarge)

Can't wait...

Tomb Raider - Your First Impression

So I come up with this idea that we can all post our first impression of the final version hands-on of Tomb Raider. And then I can add everyone's first impression on the very first post of this thread (right below).

So, for now, we have only one member's first impression. And its none other than Driber himself. The lucky guy got the game before us.

I can't wait to post my long first impression with screenshots and possibly video of my play-through. Here's how I will be doing it:

So, just to clarify, we post our first impressions here? Or? Slightly confused, but it's 1:30 in the morning for me so xD

Quote Originally Posted by Delty335 View Post
    So, just to clarify, we post our first impressions here? Or? Slightly confused, but it's 1:30 in the morning for me so xD
    Yeah, we put our first impressions here
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

Do they absolutely have to be first impressions of our play-throughs, or do video impressions count? :P

Do they absolutely have to be first impressions of our play-throughs, or do video impressions count? :P
    um i think Driber made a thread about recording yourself of the first hour and uploading it, but im not sure you'll have to ask Shaikh
    signature image

We already have Official MEMBERS Reviews Thread i opened it by Driber's request.
    signature image

Heh, like Rider said, we already have an official thread for this.

We'll probably merge soon.

I like the set up of the OP here, though. Maybe you guys can combine your OPs

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

hmm, that post hardly does this thread justice

I'll write up something a bit longer, so that you have something better to start off this idea with

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

sounds like fun, ill be doing this for sure. I live in the states though so it will be a tad later than some of you lucky UK and Ausies lol

Alright, here we go

First impressions of TOMB RAIDER from a long time fan.

So I've had a few hours of hands-on time with the full game yesterday and so far the game looks really impressive. It's already clear to see that the devs have put a lot of time (and love) into this project.

I inserted my PS3 copy of the game into the console and watched the PS home screen turn into a beautiful display of the box art render, accompanied with music that sets the mood of the game even before starting it.

The title screen shows waves pounding their way at rock formations in the sea, with Yamatai island in the distance. The menu screens look really cool - navigating back and forth between them actually moves the camera around the rock formations. Very nicely done!

Choosing "new game" starts the Turning Point trailer footage. Gotta say it was sort of unreal to see this movie that we all know so very well finally implemented in the game. It gave me chills.

So then Lara washes ashore on the island and the adventure begins.

The first few hours of gameplay were very cinematic. I liked it very much - it really does a good job of drawing the player into the story and making the player feel Lara's pain and anxiety. The first few hours had me sitting me on the edge of my seat.

But if you think the game is just one big interactive movie, guess again. The game starts off with a typical Tomb Raider-like puzzle from the get-go. I feel that this tells the player that the franchise's famous puzzle elements will be well covered in this game.

Shooting arrows and firing your gun is set to R1, while aim is mapped to the L2 buttons. I'm in much favour of this layout - I've played some other PS3 games recently that had shoot set to R2, and that doesn't work nearly as nice as R1 shoot / L1 aim combination.

Shooting of targets so far works really well. I had to get used to the controls for literally just a few minutes until I got the hang of it and from there on it was smooth sailing. Aim sensitivity is set well balanced. But for those who need some tweaking, there is an option in the game menu to adjust sensitivity.

And to much of my relieve, the game has an invert axis setting. This was one of my "must haves" as it puts me off having to re-adjust with every new game I play -_- so I'm glad the devs were kind enough to cater to this wish of the community

Another cool feature is "Change Save Slot" in the menu. This allows you to copy one savegame to another. Very handy for people like me who do play sessions together with their partner and when one of them wants to explore Lara's current location into detail by themselves without worrying about auto-saving something new when the other person is out to stock up on game snacks

On a side-note: I ended my first play session just after the infamous "Russian guy scene". And I gotta say, people have absolutely nothing to worry about. Having actually played the scene myself now, my suspicions that the controversy was way exaggerated has been confirmed

I'm only a few hours into the story line so far, but overall, I have been well impressed with what I've seen. The surroundings are gorgeous and the music and sound effects transition in a very smooth way, further enhancing the feeling of immersion. And the game has a great pace. You really get a rush playing it!

I'm looking forward for you guys getting your hands on the full game and seeing all the comments from the community pouring into the forum! Similarly to you guys being anxious for launch day, I am too, even though I already have the game, because I can't wait to get into detail and share all these experiences and hearing them from you guys, too

Yes, you can add video impressions too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    We already have Official MEMBERS Reviews Thread i opened it by Driber's request.
    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Heh, like Rider said, we already have an official thread for this.

We'll probably merge soon.

I like the set up of the OP here, though. Maybe you guys can combine your OPs
    Wait wait wait wait wait!!! Let me explain/clarify this first.

This is for our 'First impression on the game when we play for the first time', and that thread is for the final review of the game when we finish our 20 hours journey (more or less) on Yamatai Island. So that being said, on this thread we will put our impression on the game based on first 2 or 3 hours.

And to be honest I have this idea of doing three threads for last few months; one is this one, another one is like that Rider's thread and the last one is for Press Reviews.

So after explaining it in short, what you guys think of it? I think we can do it separately. Final review might contain some spoilers, while this is mostly fresh and most of us already seen the first two hours of the game during promotional videos and trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    hmm, that post hardly does this thread justice

I'll write up something a bit longer, so that you have something better to start off this idea with
    No problem. You can post the detailed impression here and I can change the link of it.

I am thinking DanishDude's thread asking people to post their let's play videos is along this line, too. Just the first impression kind of deal. I had to close it for now, due to the talk of potential spoilers popping up. We'll need to figure out just which thread to merge this with, or if it can be dissimilar enough to stand on its own. We don't want multiples of the same popping up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    I am thinking DanishDude's thread asking people to post their let's play videos is along this line, too. Just the first impression kind of deal. I had to close it for now, due to the talk of potential spoilers popping up. We'll need to figure out just which thread to merge this with, or if it can be dissimilar enough to stand on its own. We don't want multiples of the same popping up.
    i think a spoiler thread would be ok to have. who ever looks at it its of course their problem but at least we know its there and therefor can be easier to control.
    signature image

Tomb Raider Hands-on First Impressions + Rating (NO SPOILERS)

Hello, Yesterday I had the chance to play approximately 1 hour 30 minutes of the new Tomb Raider game and here you will find my first impressions of the game but here's a bit about the game. There will be no spoilers I will simply explain what my experience was like.

About me:

I'm an extreme Tomb Raider fan, it's the only real game I play these days. My favorite ones are the classics made by Core Design. I wasn't too fond of the Crystal Dynamics games due to them not offering the classic experience and being boring (to me). I have often wondered whether the new Tomb Raider will offer the same classic experience and I have finally had the chance to play the final build of Tomb Raider running on the Xbox 360.

Controls:

The controls in the game are very reminiscent of the older Crystal Dynamics games: TRL/TRA/TRU. I found that moving Lara felt realistic, whether it was forward or back you could almost feel the tension and motion between Lara Croft due to the perfection and attention payed to animation and player speed movement, it put a lot of emphasis and makes you feel like you're actually there!

However, I felt that the controls in the beginning were very restrictive. For example, when I wanted to go somewhere it would literally only let you move forward I only encountered this once but this is most likely for the player to get familiar with the game and to guide them but I just felt the need to Tomb Raid after all it is Tomb Raider! but sadly, I could not!

There were some QTEs (quick time events) which were fun, the way they have the dynamic camera angles showing different perspectives adds an eerie feel to some situations and it's very clever how they have done it. There may be more quick time events than I'd like to admit but they are extremely entertaining to watch and you're like "quick i have to press..." then "wooo you go Lara" it feels so rewarding!

Another great thing about this game is that it's not like Tomb Raider Underworld with major animation flaws. Each animation is executed consistently with no shaking it just looks smooth where as, Tomb Raider Underworld had extremely poor animation issues.

I will also note that when Lara is traversing across ledges she moves too fast.

Graphics:

In this game, the graphics are very likable. I found that the additional lighting effects etc adding a dynamic feel to the game. It feels much more realistic than what the older demos looked like. The environments are very well designed but the story campaign areas are linear to begin with. The hubs are large open areas which you can explore, hunt which are a lot less linear.

There were some instances where models would have noticeable jagged lines but it's only minor although it could have been the TV i was playing on. I felt that the graphics were great but it's a shame that it hit this current gen, I feel that due to the technical limitations it really degraded the game but lets say "it could be better".

I should also note that the game runs smooth with no frame rate issues at all.

Audio:

Throughout the game I noticed that various sound tracks had been changed during development. The sound tracks which they replaced them with did not feel "TR like" to me. I felt that the new music diluted the experience for me and rather disappointed because I felt it didn't match up with the situations like it did in the other demos I saw.

On numerous occasions I noticed that there were times where Lara swears. Yes I understand that swearing is not that bad but the fact that they added it in. It seems completely uncalled for and unnecessary, there was no need to add profane language into the game.

Positively, the voice acting in the game is perfect, it seems very realistic and it's so believable, sending shivers down my back the way Lara is calling in "desperation" really crippled me up inside and I honestly didn't think it would.

The game offers a "deep" insight into the true meaning of survival and plays on your emotions as you empathise with Lara as the game is so intense and realistic.

Combat:

The combat is fairly easy to get the hang of, Lara can use the bow to hunt down animals in order to survive. The movement whilst using the bow is slow which is realistic however I felt that reloading was too quick.

Difficulty:

I played the game on Normal, I died at some areas so it's not as easy as I expected it to be.

The "BIG" question

So.. does this offer the classic Tomb Raiding experience?

I would say no, it does NOT. But that's not a bad thing, it's something new and there's something about it which makes me like it. I do like the way they have changed the game. I believe this is what Tomb Raider needed.

Concerns:

- They could include less arrows to make it feel more survival like.

- There was an instance where I was running with a gun equipped and Lara's hand rose up when she should have had both hands on the gun. I think this was a glitch in the animation as seen in some other demos, she was doing a partial T-pose I think.

- When I looked at Lara's face, I felt they had gone backwards. She looks emotionless, at least in Tomb Raider Legend Lara moves and turns her head like she's looking around. I only noticed this in a few areas, It could be a bug.

- Sometimes the camera is annoying.

- I didn't feel like I had to survive I just felt like I had to continue to be honest.

- The game felt simple and linear except the hubs.

- In some areas white ledges, items or whatever are annoying.

Overall:

The death scenes were great however, they're not as gory as what they were told to be but some might be some might not be. I enjoyed playing the game it offers such a new depth and game play style it's hard to explain until you play it for yourself it's just something so new. And the way there's always something new and unexpected there's always something to surprise and impress. It's just so unique there's not a game like this it feels really realistic.

Rating (based on what I played):

9.3/10

I enjoyed playing the first section of the game and look forward to more on March the 5th! I would like to congratulate Crystal Dynamics for making such a great job on paying attention to how they can make the player feel emotionally attached to Lara. It works incredibly well. They have worked hard and deserve every bit of credit.

This is the next game to get you honestly cannot miss out on the fun! Roll on March 5th!!

If you have any questions I will try to answer them.
    Thank you.
    signature image

Thanks for your review!!
    Very nice.

I'm hoping that in future games there is more exploration/ tombs. I thnk they did not add it that many because she is not a legit Tomb Raider yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    I had to close it for now, due to the talk of potential spoilers popping up.
    Sooorryyy!
    :C
    >:3

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast