Page 2 of 11 First First 123456 ... Last

Thread: PLAY ARTS Discussion Thread

PLAY ARTS Discussion Thread

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    431

    Quick question, what do you guys think of the Play Arts Kai figures of the FFXIII Eidolons? I'd like Odin but they're all too expensive.


    (Hallo Protheus, been a while since I've seen you around!)

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    15,195

    They are truly amazing. Well, I guess our figure expert Protheus will be able to tell you exactly how amazing, though.

  3. #28

    JUST finished the Sazh review, I had maybe a little too much fun with this. ^_^'


    myfigurecollection.net/blog/3448


    Everyone needs a Sazh!!!

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    15,195

    Nice pictures, as always.





    Other than Paine being a litte short, they look alright to me.


    Paine - 5' 6" (170 cm)


    Reno - ??? - (but not very tall)


    Sephiroth - 6' 1" (185 cm)


    Sazh 6' 2" - (189 cm)

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    15,195

  6. #31

    You see, I really have no issues with the (non) scale of the PA line since I like the fact that they're larger. Many people on the site that I posted this on do, however. My main issue is the fact that I always figured that Reno...should be shorter. XD


    More interestingly, I got a lot of positive feedback on that Paine PA and the rarity of her. I do wish that SE would give the Gullwings the Kai treatment!


    Noticed the Catwoman PA listing earlier tonight..and I give it a mega hell yes! I still need to pick up the rest of the Batcrew, especially Harley!!!!







  7. #32


    hello... i'm not happy about creating this thread, but i just had to...

    I bought my 3rd Play Arts Kai figure: Ezio (Assassin's Creed) and it arrived today.

    when i opened the box... his leg just fell... and i was talking with my girlfriend 5 min before about my joker's arm... ( the first position i did with him, the part that holds his arm to his body just broke off)

    i'm really sad and angry with this serie. The figures are expensive, they are pretty, but come on, WHAT is the problem with them? My friend had the same problem with some final fantasy figure, but i just thought "it is just some bad luck"

    You MUST revise your production control, that's just unacceptable. I contacted the seller, but i think it's pretty unfair that he has to give me another figure, since it's not his fault.

    here is a picture i took in the exact moment ( i was expecting to take a nice picture of it, but... well, i could not)

    picasaweb.google.com/1029918111486357616...


    i'm just disappointed.






    sorry my bad english

  8. #33

    Very sorry to hear about the broken figure. T_T


    I wish that I could tell you that this is only a Squeenix QC issue....but sadly it isn't. This is one of the few pitfalls and heartbreaks of figure collecting and it really sucks. (The other pitfall being cost: figure cost and shipping on top of that.) I have not seen a single figure company that hasn't had QC issues of some sort...and there's companies that make seriously more expensive figures than SE. My Kotobukiya FF VIII Gilgamesh had one of his arms that the peg disintigrated on the moment I unboxed him. I just bought a Figma that had a very tight faceplate that I had to slightly shave down for it to fit right. My first Nendoroid has two broken neck pegs after I changed the faceplate only twice. The Kotobukiya coldcast of the Highwind has propellers that won't stay on the peg like they're supposed to and the peg is so heavy with all three on it that it just falls off all the time. The Megahouse Ed Elric figure that I picked up a few months ago has paint transfer issues when I put his coat on. Don't even get me started on the Ed Elric Revoltech. Take your pick! >_>


    These things all cost good and hard earned gil and it's really unfortunate that it appears that some of these problems come across as an item being rushed to be made. What we have to remember here is that these are mass produced items...and that not all of them are made to the standards we would want/expect. Still, should not have to make excuses and just accept that this is an inevitability.

  9. #34

    Hello Yuki


    Yes, i know it's not only a SquareEnix issue :/ , i collect many other figures too, and it's not the first time something gets wrong.





    wow, i'm sorry about your figures, thats pretty unfair! specially this fact: "My Kotobukiya FF VIII Gilgamesh had one of his arms that the peg disintigrated on the moment I unboxed him"





    yes, i agree with you, its (a lot of) gil, but the problem is: they are mass produced items. but my point is that they should have a better pruduction control so it won't happen often :/ i mean, thats my 3rd Play Arts figure, and 2 of 3 had problems. I collect Cloth Myth (Bandai) and my first problem was after 30 figures! And my friend had some problem with his final fantasy figure too, so i'm afraid it will happen again :/ And i really like Play Arts figure, specially the Video Game ones and because i really want some Castlevania figure in the future, and i don't want to open the box and have a horrible surprise with it





    again, sorry about my english >_>

  10. #35

    Well, even though I bought Gilgamesh new from a comic shop, he was still an older figure when I bought him so I suppose I should not have been too surprised. Even still, the Squaresoft X Kotobukiya figures are usually good quality. Problems can happen at any time and I just happen to have bought one. It's just part of collecting, unfortunatly.


    As far as SE's QC issues, it's a bit disheartening to read an announcement of an SE figure on the figure forums but to hear that the general concensus is "I'd buy a figure just for this character but, ew gawd, it's a Play Art." Even worse was the listing for the FMA Sculpture Arts of Ed and Al and have someone ask if they were sure that this wasn't a bootleg due to nasty paint. (True story) It pains me to have to relay stuff like this since I personally love the PA line but many others do not share my Fangirl enthusiasm. T_T


    Still, I feel that these are minor issues that can be fixed easily. Everyone on the planet needs a Sephiroth and a Sazh Play Art!


    Cloud: But I'm SE's Official Mascot and there are more PA of me than that useless Jenovan!


    Squall: I'm the Mascot! Step aside, Chocoboy!


    *Squall and Cloud duke it out for the right to be Squeenix's Official Mascot*

  11. #36

    Posted this the other day, and forgot to post the link here as well. This shows off how I display my Play Arts...as well as my..."other" collection. The Rinoa Extra Soldier that's in the first picture did not come with those wings, I added them by sliding them under her hair. I thought that she needed them. ^__^


    myfigurecollection.net/blog/3473


    FF Figures shown with pride!

  12. #37

    Tomopop spotted a very interesting tweet from Tekken series creator Katsuhiro Harada. He let slip that Tekken characters Jun Kazama and Kazuya Mishima will be unveiled as part of the Play Arts Kai line. They will supposedly be on display at Square Enix's booth during San Diego Comic-Con 2012.

    Follow our San Diego Comic-Con 2012 Coverage as we will be sure to have photos of these figures should they be there.



    www.toyark.com/

  13. #38

    Robin PA Kai


    myfigurecollection.net/item/115858


    ^This looks frickin' AWESOME, and will go along great with the others!





    Sora, DDD version!


    myfigurecollection.net/item/115854





    Riku also has a DDD version.


    myfigurecollection.net/item/115855





    Mo' Mass Effect!


    myfigurecollection.net/item/115824


    Not familiar with this character, but the PA is all sorts of badass


    myfigurecollection.net/item/115827





    Heaps O' Batman!


    myfigurecollection.net/item/115848


    myfigurecollection.net/item/115845


    myfigurecollection.net/item/115844


    myfigurecollection.net/item/115847

  14. #39

    I have a few Play Arts as well. My 1st figure was the FF7 AC version of Sephiroth. Speaking of the FF7 AC line I also have Tifa, Vincent, Cloud with Fenrir, Yuffie. I think Red XIII and Cait Sith were from the normal FF7 line up. I also have the game version of Tifa and Yuffie. From FF 9 I have Garnet and Zidane and FF 13 Ashe and the original Judge Gabranth. Last but not least Mickey Mouse from KH2 the non cloaked version. Well that's all of my non Kai Play Arts figures. There are a few I've been kicking my self for not getting. Auron from FF 10, Paine and Rikku from FF 10-2 and Final Form Sora from KH2, but I never did see that figure any where I went. 3 others that'd be nice to have are the KH's versions of Could and Sephiroth as well as FF7 Aeris.

    For my collection of Play Arts Kai I have Lightning, Snow, Vanille, Fang and Serah from FF 13, Squall from Dissidia and finally Ichigo from Bleach. To bad my Ichigo was one of the defects that came with 2 closed fists and no holding hand for his sword. Right now he's using Snow's right hand attached with stick tak and an elastic band. He's on a high shelf with his leg blocking the hand so it looks fine.

    So far the other Kai figures I'd like to get at some point are Meryl from MGS, Cammy from Street Fighter Lightning from FF 13-2 and that Tali from Mass Effect I just read about.

    There are a few things that I find odd with the Kai line. They might be a bit bigger and a tad more possible then the older non Kai line, but does that really mean they should be $20 more expensive? It'd also be nice if they'd re-release older figures like the ones I mentioned earlier for example. The only other thing is I'm surprised they didn't make any KH BBS figures. I would love to have an Aqua figure. They could have even have made their armored versions. Oh well I can only hope I guess.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    15,195

  16. #41

    Originally Posted by Prince-Philip


    I have a few Play Arts as well. My 1st figure was the FF7 AC version of Sephiroth. Speaking of the FF7 AC line I also have Tifa, Vincent, Cloud with Fenrir, Yuffie. I think Red XIII and Cait Sith were from the normal FF7 line up. I also have the game version of Tifa and Yuffie. From FF 9 I have Garnet and Zidane and FF 13 Ashe and the original Judge Gabranth. Last but not least Mickey Mouse from KH2 the non cloaked version. Well that's all of my non Kai Play Arts figures. There are a few I've been kicking my self for not getting. Auron from FF 10, Paine and Rikku from FF 10-2 and Final Form Sora from KH2, but I never did see that figure any where I went. 3 others that'd be nice to have are the KH's versions of Could and Sephiroth as well as FF7 Aeris.

    For my collection of Play Arts Kai I have Lightning, Snow, Vanille, Fang and Serah from FF 13, Squall from Dissidia and finally Ichigo from Bleach. To bad my Ichigo was one of the defects that came with 2 closed fists and no holding hand for his sword. Right now he's using Snow's right hand attached with stick tak and an elastic band. He's on a high shelf with his leg blocking the hand so it looks fine.

    So far the other Kai figures I'd like to get at some point are Meryl from MGS, Cammy from Street Fighter Lightning from FF 13-2 and that Tali from Mass Effect I just read about.

    There are a few things that I find odd with the Kai line. They might be a bit bigger and a tad more possible then the older non Kai line, but does that really mean they should be $20 more expensive? It'd also be nice if they'd re-release older figures like the ones I mentioned earlier for example. The only other thing is I'm surprised they didn't make any KH BBS figures. I would love to have an Aqua figure. They could have even have made their armored versions. Oh well I can only hope I guess.






    Not familiar with this Tali character but again, that PA is incredibly badass in design! Was looking at this last night!


    Don't kick yourself too much for missing out on the PA from FF X-2: while the Paine that I have is very detailed, her posability...is seriously lacking. All I was asking her to do was pose across the hood of a toy car like some cheeky model, but she couldn't do that very well AT ALL. I'm probably hoping beyond hope that some day, SE does a Kai upgrade to both the FF X and X-2 gang. (Fan persuasion, perhaps? :3)

  17. #42

    I've got KH2 Sora and Crisis Core Zack in my collection so far. I'm trying to add FF8 Squall to my collection, but unfortunately Square doesn't sell him on the site anymore and every retailer I've looked up is selling him for triple or quadruple the original price.


    I'm still waiting for Square to release a figure of Kairi in her pink outfit. Not a big fan of her school uniform. Also would like KH2 Riku to complete my KH collection.


    Are they ever going to release the Birth By Sleep characters in PA form? I'd love to have a Ventus figure.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    15,195

  19. #44

    I would kill for square enix to make play arts kai figures of older ff characters like Kain Highwind (ff4) Locke Cole (ff6) chrono trigger, in the mean time tali is a must have for me as are the kh ones .

  20. #45

    Originally Posted by ZERORAPTOR


    I've got KH2 Sora and Crisis Core Zack in my collection so far. I'm trying to add FF8 Squall to my collection, but unfortunately Square doesn't sell him on the site anymore and every retailer I've looked up is selling him for triple or quadruple the original price. [img]/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-frown.gif[/img]


    I'm still waiting for Square to release a figure of Kairi in her pink outfit. Not a big fan of her school uniform. Also would like KH2 Riku to complete my KH collection.


    Are they ever going to release the Birth By Sleep characters in PA form? I'd love to have a Ventus figure.






    Squall?


    *cough Right Stuf*


    www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalog...


    Price isn't bad for him here at all and a lot of the import sites no longer have him. Another option would be to take your chances and go to an Animecon, as many vendors will have Play Arts up for grabs. Unfortunatly, last year at Otakon only one vendor had him...and they wanted $70 for him. In the booth right next to him was someone who had a sale on PA...with a lot of choice older ones going for about $20!






  21. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    208

    DMC Play Arts look really nice. I wish there was some more love for FF characters lately though... a lot of ones have yet to even be made.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    15,195

  23. #48

    Originally Posted by Fire


    DMC Play Arts look really nice. I wish there was some more love for FF characters lately though... a lot of ones have yet to even be made.



    ...yeah, like WAKKA, who they seem to have completely missed when they made figures of the rest of the X characters. >_>


    And PLEASE, SE, give us some more villans...like Kuja and Ultimecia. T_T





    Having said that, if SE isn't giving you figures/dolls of characters you want then you can always make your own. :3


    Dollfie Dream, myfigurecollection.net/picture/437077 Inori-chan!


    Plushie Carbuncle!


    myfigurecollection.net/picture/322184&re...


    The Sephy that SE SHOULD have made..*_*


    myfigurecollection.net/picture/321464&re...


    And, a fan giving a tough boss some badly needed love...using another PA to do so. Check out this Beatrix!


    myfigurecollection.net/picture/420154


    I do understand where you are coming from however, aside from Chocoboy, other FF characters are languishing. While I'm enjoying all the Batman love, I too would like to see more of a variety of PA Kai.





  24. #49

    Originally Posted by YukiTsubaki



    Squall?


    *cough Right Stuf*


    www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalog...


    Price isn't bad for him here at all and a lot of the import sites no longer have him. Another option would be to take your chances and go to an Animecon, as many vendors will have Play Arts up for grabs. Unfortunatly, last year at Otakon only one vendor had him...and they wanted $70 for him. In the booth right next to him was someone who had a sale on PA...with a lot of choice older ones going for about $20!


    Yeah, I know almost EVERYONE has the new Kai figure based on his Dissidia version, but what I want is the classic FF8 version of him. And like you said, the old ones are hard to find close to the old retail price ($24.99).


    More on the Play Arts discussion, I wish Square would just give out sets with the entire playable cast from each classic Final Fantasy title. There are people trying to complete collections and it's pretty annoying to see Square focus on other franchises and have yet to release other characters besides the popular ones (e.g. Cloud, Squall, Sora, etc.). FF7 is the only title they've released most of the cast from (Cloud, Aerith, Tifa, Yuffie, Red XIII, Cait Sith, Vincent), but even then they're still missing Barret and Cid and it's been how many years since they've started making Play Arts figures? You'd think the Kingdom Hearts cast would be easy considering there's only 3 main characters (Sora, Kairi, Riku), but even then Square has only released Sora and Riku. Pretty frustrating.



  25. #50

    "You'd think the Kingdom Hearts cast would be easy considering there's only 3 main characters (Sora, Kairi, Riku), but even then Square has only released Sora and Riku. Pretty frustrating."





    Actually, they have given KH some Play Arts love, and not just Sora and Riku. All three main KH characters have been covered.


    Kairi,KH 2


    myfigurecollection.net/item/1444


    Skellington


    myfigurecollection.net/item/28431


    Sephy,


    myfigurecollection.net/item/4936


    And...yet another Chocoboy. >_>


    myfigurecollection.net/item/4937





    Other than the new DDD Play Arts Kai, only Sora and Riku have gotten the Kai treatment, however.










Page 2 of 11 First First 123456 ... Last