Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Official Off Topic Conversation Thread: Vampiric Abyss

Wouldn't it be funny to tell you that there're over thirty different MK titles
    I remember people playing MK4 only on the PC and skip everything in between since it wasn't originally on the PC.

Yeah, this new MK reboot is nice story-wise. It's hyped up greatly for sure. However I still find MKeception being far superior to it, much faster, not noob friendly (X-ray attack is silly imo, destroys the combat) and comes with three different combat styles for each character + mild-RPG story mode where the player visits all realms and uncovers the lore appropriately.

As for the DS it's a bad port, sure, but not because of the controls. It plays with two cameras in mind, one rotating the player, other rotating surroundings. The principle of action-adventure or action rpgs executes much better while playing on the gamepad with two analog sticks. Of course it always depends upon the personal choice and ones ability to play. I personally find more enjoyment playing on a gamepad when it comes down to such games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Milky View Post
    Wouldn't it be funny to tell you that there're over thirty different MK titles
    I remember people playing MK4 only on the PC and skip everything in between since it wasn't originally on the PC.
    I don't think you can count up to 30. Still, the only ones missing that are worth mentioning are Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armageddon, arguably MK vs DC and Shaolin Monks. I'm really not bothered that I missed Special Forces . While I was disappointed that the series left PC, the actual changes into slower, arena based combat didn't seem like a step in a good direction, so I didn't feel like I was missing much. And then MK9 came out.
    Yeah, this new MK reboot is nice story-wise. It's hyped up greatly for sure. However I still find MKeception being far superior to it, much faster, not noob friendly (X-ray attack is silly imo, destroys the combat) and comes with three different combat styles for each character + mild-RPG story mode where the player visits all realms and uncovers the lore appropriately.
    You're the only person I've seen who claims that Deception is faster. That's not what I've heard from other people who played it and definitely not what I see on videos.
    About MK9, I'll wait with comments until I've actually played it, but from what I've seen skilled players seem to be using their super meters on enhanced attacks and breakers and hardly ever use X-Rays. But I'll comment later (probably next week).
    I liked MK3's mechanics most but art style wise I think MK2 is still unmatched.
    As for the DS it's a bad port, sure, but not because of the controls. It plays with two cameras in mind, one rotating the player, other rotating surroundings. The principle of action-adventure or action rpgs executes much better while playing on the gamepad with two analog sticks. Of course it always depends upon the personal choice and ones ability to play. I personally find more enjoyment playing on a gamepad when it comes down to such games.
    DS is waiting on my shelf for a hardware that can actually play it. I've always found games that actually have free camera control to be better with a mouse, mostly because I can rotate the view during combat. That's what I don't like on a gamepad - I can control either the camera with the right stick or the 4 button block but not both at the same time. Not the case with M&K. I find analogue movement to be a small price to pay for that advantage.
    For me The only game with full camera control that feels more natural on a gamepad is the good old Descent.

Yes, I didn't mean chronologically ordered by the game itself but more about on what platforms it came out. For an example MK1 - several platforms etc depending upon the years.
    2006. the first three games hit the PC.

MK vs DC is not really worth mentioning.

As for the fastest MK that has to be UMK3 and MK trilogy (ps1). I adore those two, especially playing with noob saibot/rain/smoke.

I played special forces for...five minutes. Then I turned off my Dreamcast.

As for Deception, it's true. Well I'm not the only one who thinks this way, however I do feel like MK9 is dumbed down in comparison to the Deception gameplay-wise. You don't get the 3D movement on the actual battlefield and the combos are essentially pressing XYA or YAB with directional pad, usually making your enemy flying all over the screen allowing him to initiate projectile war, filling up the special ability bar and such things are boring, really.
    MK9 feels more like Armageddon when it comes down to the actual combos. Armageddon had, arguably, worst fatalities up to date. They were not unique, just ripping apart the opponent piece by piece. I don't know what were they thinking with that one. MK9 is made in such a way that no matter how good you are - people can still take out 1/3 of HP in a matter of five seconds punishing the slightest mistake, which is usually lag fest. I'm not even sure that it's good to play it via steam online.
    Great aspects of it are, of course, Freddy Krueger and Kratos. Funny vanity tho, following the concept of Soul Calibur series who even had Yoda and Darth Vader in 4th installment.

For an example the combos of SubZero in MK : Deception :

Proves a variety of possibilities. In MK9 combos are easy to do, 2-3 hits, freeze, 1-2 hits, freeze, xray and that's it. More then 60 % hp dropped pressing essentially a combination of 4 buttons without even rushing it. You can play with one hand!
    To use a breaker, which is free to do in Deception, you need 2 points of special gauge. Why does it even need two points is beyond me. Breaking a tree hit combo and spending 2 points of gauge is ridiculous and quite probably one of the most illogical things in MK9. Also, I never met a person who doesn't use X-ray. That's the move which is a guiding light to every single noob out there. You beat someone good and their gauge is filled up easily. While casting magic (executing special moves) the gauge fills up very slowly.

Anyway, if you can play MK9 you bet you can play DS with the same hardware. I know I did and DS played better then MK9 FPS-wise

2006. the first three games hit the PC.
    Yes, for the third time. But it took UMK3 more than 16 years to finally get a port with MKAK.
    As for Deception, it's true. Well I'm not the only one who thinks this way, however I do feel like MK9 is dumbed down in comparison to the Deception gameplay-wise.
    You do realise that you are in minority with that opinion? Let's be honest MK never was a skill based game, focusing rather on the fun aspect. It's not Virtua Fighter with 1 frame windows. It is the latest instalment however that is getting some recognition on a tournament level (like EVO) without the usual "lol mk" remarks that were always associated with it (at least not to the same extent).
    MK9 is made in such a way that no matter how good you are - people can still take out 1/3 of HP in a matter of five seconds punishing the slightest mistake, which is usually lag fest. I'm not even sure that it's good to play it via steam online.
    It's not that different from MK3 that had 40% dial-combos. I think that serious play in fighting games can only be achieved in off-line multiplayer, where delay is not a factor.
    Great aspects of it are, of course, Freddy Krueger and Kratos. Funny vanity tho, following the concept of Soul Calibur series who even had Yoda and Darth Vader in 4th installment.
    That's one thing I don't like already. I don't think these characters fit the game. Although I would be probably talking differently if we had Kain or Raziel in it .
    In MK9 combos are easy to do, 2-3 hits, freeze, 1-2 hits, freeze, xray and that's it. More then 60 % hp dropped pressing essentially a combination of 4 buttons without even rushing it.
    As far as I know, second freeze brakes a combo .
    To use a breaker, which is free to do in Deception, you need 2 points of special gauge. Why does it even need two points is beyond me. Breaking a tree hit combo and spending 2 points of gauge is ridiculous and quite probably one of the most illogical things in MK9.
    Breaking a 3 hit combo makes no sense. Breaking a 12 one at the start does. On a tournament level you will see breakers much more often than X-Rays.
    Also, I never met a person who doesn't use X-ray. That's the move which is a guiding light to every single noob out there. You beat someone good and their gauge is filled up easily. While casting magic (executing special moves) the gauge fills up very slowly.
    That's an unfortunate setback of on-line multiplayer, that you can't always block something you see coming a mile away because of the delay.
    Anyway, if you can play MK9 you bet you can play DS with the same hardware. I know I did and DS played better then MK9 FPS-wise
    That's weird. DS was running on my (admittedly not meant for gaming) laptop at 15 fps. I'm expecting that MK shouldn't have much higher requirements than for example SF4AE, which is running at a stable 60. It's an Unreal Engine game after all and I don't have problems running other games based on it. Although I may have to do some ini editing to get it down to a reasonable resolution.

Minority or not (since when was that an important factor?) I know what I'm talking about. Besides, mind sharing a link or some insight as to who states that MK9 is better then the rest?!
    Aside from that I remember that there were, always, MK tournaments in the gaming centres ever since the '90. Three games were played : Tekken 3, DoA and MK (MK being the one most played on several consoles). MK does take some practice to play it. Back when the internet wasn't as prominent as now knowing a fatality could easily make you well respected.

Each MK after Deception only got dumbed down and down while the graphics got up and...well...wide. Completely forgetting the 3D aspect of it in MK9. In fact MK : Deception invented the manual combo breaker.
    In MK9 it takes time to get to the point of a possible combo breaker, meaning that the opponent will already beat the hell out of you or you're going to shoot a lot of missiles at the opponent, thus filling the gauge. Completely pointless. The only use for it, how I see, is during the tag battle where combos do take a while and are worth enough to learn them, but even then that's only saving 1/3 or 1/4 of HP! Many people will actually get into the range of the opponent and try to grab instead to do the combo and it's not really true that X-ray is not being used. After all it's the best possible attack. Freeze someone with Sub zero and initiate the X-ray. They can't get away from it. There're X-rays which are hard to avoid, such as Jax X-ray. It really means that if you're a good player playing against a newbie and you're winning by hitting him, his gauge will fill up in a manner of seconds allowing him to initiate any simple combo + X-ray making both of your HP quite similar. X-ray can be avoided, though, by holding block or jumping away or similar, but it does happen so fast that it's really a matter of luck and especially @ online play.

I can't see what's better regarding the MK9 in comparison to the rest of MK titles, aside from different gameplay mechanics and better graphics, but as you wish. I could never believe others without trying the game for myself. As you state, the last MK title that you've played was MK4. I bet that you're not alone when it comes down to PC gaming. I know a lot of people who've skipped what was in between. I really do wonder what was all the hype, even back during the 2011. year. The hype about that MK was similar to that of PES or FIFA.
    Anyway if you get the chance to play both MK9 and MKeception I hope that you'll give me your insight regarding the matter.

Minority or not (since when was that an important factor?)
    Since never. Just pointing out the fact.
    I know what I'm talking about. Besides, mind sharing a link or some insight as to who states that MK9 is better then the rest?!
    I can't link to discussions that weren't on the Internet. I have reasons to assume that people I talked to knew as well what they were talking about (yes, they played the games). It's just that their conclusions differ from yours. And when I see different opinions (yours being perfectly valid) what tilts mine is the footage that I've seen and the impressions I got from it.
    Back when the internet wasn't as prominent as now knowing a fatality could easily make you well respected.
    That may depend on the region, but here moves for fighting games were printed in game magazines (ever since Street Fighter 2), so here this was common knowledge long before the Internet age.
    I can't see what's better regarding the MK9 in comparison to the rest of MK titles, aside from different gameplay mechanics and better graphics, but as you wish. I could never believe others without trying the game for myself. As you state, the last MK title that you've played was MK4. I bet that you're not alone when it comes down to PC gaming. I know a lot of people who've skipped what was in between. I really do wonder what was all the hype, even back during the 2011. year. The hype about that MK was similar to that of PES or FIFA.
    It's all a matter of opinion. I'm basing my opinions on what I've seen and what I've heard, but I admit that not on what I've played. But as I mentioned, I didn't like the concepts that DA/D/A introduced and the idea of MK9 always seemed to me like a step forward by making a step back.
    Anyway if you get the chance to play both MK9 and MKeception I hope that you'll give me your insight regarding the matter.
    I'd like to, although the chances of me playing Deception are unfortunately rather slim (unless WB release some sort of "Ultimate Kollection").

Thank you for your time and discussion. I figured that much anyway

Exactly, the region issue as well as money issue. Kids couldn't buy such magazines and most of then were imported personally (or via cousins etc). Back then the info was also highly regarded since there was no prominent internet providers, even less computers.
    Most magazines regarding gaming in my country were strictly PC oriented with couple of columns dedicated to the consoles and handheld stuff. The Japanese market was even less present because of the translation problems.
    Not just that but there were a lot of false consoles for the Nes/Genesis/Snes etc including the Russian and Chinese cartridge clones (which are available even today). The famous 9999 in 1 types of games (including tanks (Battle City), duck hunt, mario etc). They had Unchained Melody as main theme.

MK2 was the most hyped game back then. 9 out of 10 TVs in the gaming centre had it played. There were arcades, too. The arcade version was, imo, better then the one on the genesis.

----

Edit :
    In short :
    I Found this, I think it's cool, wanted to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19M-25RxLS4

Just thought I'd say I got to play the demo of Lords of Shadow 2 this weekend and it was awesome! I really can't wait to get hold of it when it comes out now. So yeah - its cool

Quote Originally Posted by lucinvampire View Post
    Just thought I'd say I got to play the demo of Lords of Shadow 2 this weekend and it was awesome! I really can't wait to get hold of it when it comes out now. So yeah - its cool
    Wish I could play the 1st one. My PS3 is currently at warranty (some lag problems with super slim) so I'm waiting for it to come back

Anyone played The Last of Us?
    IMO the game is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by lucinvampire View Post
    It is my most anticipated title ever.

Seriously you play as Dracul, Nothing can be more awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Sonic View Post
    Wish I could play the 1st one. My PS3 is currently at warranty (some lag problems with super slim) so I'm waiting for it to come back

Anyone played The Last of Us?

IMO the game is awesome.
    I'll get it from a friend on Friday, I know I am late, and I hate that it took me so long.

Also if you can play on PC you can buy LoS.1 collection there, it is graphical superior and runs on 60fps, but if you are like me and your PC isn't that good, then stick to the LoS collection, you get LoS.1+DLCs+Mirror of Fate+LoS.2 Demo.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345