Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 71 of 71

Thread: Keeley Hawes (2006-10) or Camilla Luddington (2013)

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    6,497
    Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    ^ I agree with what you're saying about not all British people not having a heavy accent, but when you watch American TV shows that have a 'British' character, that character always seems to have a snooty accent and it's the same with Camilla's Lara, because she's faking the voice, she sounds too posh to me, because she's trying to get this British sounding accent out.
    gillian anderson even sounds more british in the movie straighheads.


    and she is actually american.
    signature image

  2. #52
    Lets get Angelina to play Lara's voice next hahahaha jk jk jk

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In a bubble outside the universe
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    If they'd found an American (Or any other nationality) who could actually sound English, I wouldn't care. James Marsters was superb in Buffy, for example, to the point where I was trying to pin down exactly which part of London he came from.

    ***

    As for why Camilla was cast, well, just look at her. She must be exactly what they had in mind as 'Young Lara'. Her voice isn't in it, IMO. There are literally dozens of young British actresses who could do a perfect English accent, but a whole lot fewer who could look the part.

    If I were a casting director, asked to cast on voice alone, and I turned up with Camilla, I'd expect to get the sack, honestly. But if I were given a physical description of what the actress should LOOK like, I'd be very happy indeed and hoping for a bonus.

    The idea that Lara should be English and 'sound a bit American' is... Well, ask yourself how much actual sense that makes. That's all I'm saying on that one, lest the swear filter explode!

    I'm sorry, but this comment grated on my nerves. It comes across as if you're saying CD hired Camilla for her looks. I very much doubt looks had much (if anything) to do with their casting decision. Sure, the actress they chose had to have a similar build for their Lara, same height, similar features due to the mo-cap. And I'm only guessing that it matters that much; ultimately, it's her movements, her facial expressions that count. However, I see all this as secondary to the actual voice acting. CD have said Camilla auditioned quite early on, but they kept looking but kept coming back to her. I think it was Darrell who said she was the 'whole package'.

    Now I don't know what audition procedures they had for casting the role of Lara, but I'd bet they needed someone who could act Lara's scenes, the movement, and her voice. If I were to guess, I'd say that her voice acting had to involve the ability to express the emotions they were going for, the range from young unsure Lara to someone who is capable, strong. They needed someone who could give a well rounded performance. Weemanply isn't saying Lara's VA needed to have a little bit of an American tone in her voice, he's saying, that her voice is accent-less. It does sound English (note the difference to British), but it's hard to place it, although I thought she sounds quite Wiltshire at times.

    As for your remark on James Marsters, yes he did a marvelous job overall, but there were times when I felt his accent was an exaggeration/stereotype .

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,400
    ^I agree that saying she only got the job because of her looks doesn't make much sense, but the problem is that for some people (me included) so far we haven't seen anything convincing about her performance.

    Like I said somewhere else, I would love to be proven wrong and fall in love with her performance when I play the game, but for now the more I see/hear the more I dislike the voice acting. And for me the problem is not just the accent.
    signature image

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In a bubble outside the universe
    Posts
    5,137
    ^I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I like what Camilla's doing, what I've seen so far anyway.

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    ^I agree that saying she only got the job because of her looks doesn't make much sense, but the problem is that for some people (me included) so far we haven't seen anything convincing about her performance.

    Like I said somewhere else, I would love to be proven wrong and fall in love with her performance when I play the game, but for now the more I see/hear the more I dislike the voice acting. And for me the problem is not just the accent.
    It makes sense if there is no other obvious reason we know of...

    Honestly, though, what I'm saying is that Camilla is intended to play her in the film, which goes rather beyond looks. Clearly CD feel she has the right attitude and ability to carry off the role.

    The fact that she looks so much like a young Lara cannot be pure coincidence, though.

    The one thing she obviously was NOT cast for though was her voice, as she can't sound English (Well, so far as we have yet heard. She may improve...).
    signature image

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In a bubble outside the universe
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    It makes sense if there is no other obvious reason we know of...

    Honestly, though, what I'm saying is that Camilla is intended to play her in the film, which goes rather beyond looks. Clearly CD feel she has the right attitude and ability to carry off the role.

    The fact that she looks so much like a young Lara cannot be pure coincidence, though.

    The one thing she obviously was NOT cast for though was her voice, as she can't sound English (Well, so far as we have yet heard. She may improve...).
    Where has it been said that she's intended for the film role? For all we know the film directors may have their own ideas on who they want - once they've done their own auditions.

    But now you're just assuming CDs stance on it. The correct attitude and ability pretty much go hand-in-hand with giving a well rounded performance - and that includes voice. It's in the emotions expressed in the voice, the tone of expression etc that have a huge impact in an overall performance. You may not feel that Camilla's accent is rightfully English, but CD obviously do. Though we don't know how much the accent mattered. It's possible, that as they were going for a relate-able character, that the more 'traditional' English wasn't as necessary, that it was important that the accent wasn't so...accented or obviously localised (IE Yorkshire or London etc). Her voice must have been a factor as voice portrays emotions.

    I feel it's important to differentiate between voice and accent here .

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    Where has it been said that she's intended for the film role? For all we know the film directors may have their own ideas on who they want - once they've done their own auditions.

    But now you're just assuming CDs stance on it. The correct attitude and ability pretty much go hand-in-hand with giving a well rounded performance - and that includes voice. It's in the emotions expressed in the voice, the tone of expression etc that have a huge impact in an overall performance. You may not feel that Camilla's accent is rightfully English, but CD obviously do. Though we don't know how much the accent mattered. It's possible, that as they were going for a relate-able character, that the more 'traditional' English wasn't as necessary, that it was important that the accent wasn't so...accented or obviously localised (IE Yorkshire or London etc). Her voice must have been a factor as voice portrays emotions.

    I feel it's important to differentiate between voice and accent here .
    Aren't we ALL assuming we know CD's motives, here?

    If someone were playing a character who is supposed to be, say, Australian and instead they sounded like a Scottish person putting on an Australian accent, wouldn't you think that mattered?

    Would it be 'relatable' to have someone with a bad Australian accent? Or would it be something of an insult to Australians? (And I'm picking Australian because so far as I know, no-one in this discussion is Australian, so the question can be considered neutrally! ). I'm not even Australian, and it would annoy the flip out of me!

    As an English person myself, I know the tell tales for when someone is speaking a wide variety of English dialects and when they are clearly faking it. Camilla is not speaking correctly in her role as Lara. She does not sound English.

    Characterisation in terms of voice begins with correct accent. Everything else builds on that. If the accent is wrong, nothing you do will ever create a truly convincing character, because the fatal flaw will be built in at the very foundation.
    signature image

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In a bubble outside the universe
    Posts
    5,137
    ^Well, I'm English and I respectfully disagree with your assessment on Camilla's accent/acting. I agree getting an accent spot on is important, and imo, Camilla does sound English. As I said previously, she even sounds a tad Wiltshire at times . I guess we'll have to call it a stalemate in this instance.

  10. #60
    Agreeing to disagree?!? Like gentlemen?!?

    Well, as an Englishman, I accept, of course!
    signature image

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In a bubble outside the universe
    Posts
    5,137
    *cough*gentlewoman*cough* (in my case) and sure

  12. #62
    Yikes! Sorry, Rai! But yes... moving on...
    signature image

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    Agreeing to disagree?!? Like gentlemen?!?

    Well, as an Englishman, I accept, of course!
    Well this is disappointing. I expect bruised knuckles and bloodshed. What gives here??

    signature image

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    Well this is disappointing. I expect bruised knuckles and bloodshed. What gives here??

    Sorry, Adobe. It's an English thing. Written into our unwritten constitution! We have to act like gentlemen when asked, even if one of us may, in fact, be a lady!

    It's like tea drinking. Can't be English if you don't drink tea!
    signature image

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    4,673
    I agree with Elliot, but still, most of you noticed only Camilla's bad accent. Are you really bothered just with that one thing? As far as I'm concerned, she doesn't have to have a strong accent, it's voice that matters. Camilla's voice is simply not suitable despite the whole 'Lara being young' thing. Performance can be improved, but her voice can't be changed. Don't you think it'll be irritating to hear moaning and talking in such a high pitched voice throughout the whole game?

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivana KC View Post
    I agree with Elliot, but still, most of you noticed only Camilla's bad accent. Are you really bothered just with that one thing? As far as I'm concerned, she doesn't have to have a strong accent, it's voice that matters. Camilla's voice is simply not suitable despite the whole 'Lara being young' thing. Performance can be improved, but her voice can't be changed. Don't you think it'll be irritating to hear moaning and talking in such a high pitched voice throughout the whole game?
    Absolutely!!! As I said before, imo her voice doesn't suit Lara. Her pitch is indeed too high which for me makes it very annoying.
    signature image

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivana KC View Post
    I agree with Elliot, but still, most of you noticed only Camilla's bad accent. Are you really bothered just with that one thing? As far as I'm concerned, she doesn't have to have a strong accent, it's voice that matters. Camilla's voice is simply not suitable despite the whole 'Lara being young' thing. Performance can be improved, but her voice can't be changed. Don't you think it'll be irritating to hear moaning and talking in such a high pitched voice throughout the whole game?
    Honestly, I have to say that doesn't bother me too much. For normal people in very distressing situations (Which is pretty much all we see Lara in!), the voice does tend to rise and the greater the panic, the greater the 'squeak factor'.

    The Lara we are used to is a very cool, very composed character who barely turns a hair and is far more likely to get angry than frightened. New Lara, just learning the ropes and often terrified, will have a far higher 'squeak factor'.

    With that said, I have to admit I am usually caught so much by the bad accent that the tone barely registers at all, with me.
    signature image

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Poznań, Poland
    Posts
    84
    For the first time I saw Camilla in Californication. Then I saw her in True Blood where she had a small role. I'm not an expert but I think she had a completely normal voice in both TV series. I guess her voice will be deeper in the next Tomb Raiders, when Lara will be more experienced.
    I loved Keeley's voice but I hope Camilla's one will be perfect as well. I guess we just have to wait for the game and then discuss it. And I hope Poland won't be forced to listen to Lara speaking Polish.. But it's for another topic.
    signature image

  19. #69
    Camilla wins for me shes funny...shes normal and she is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Beautiful! Fits the role perfectly

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,475
    ^ The role of talking into a microphone? Oh yeah, I can agree, she really looks the part
    signature image

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    ^ The role of talking into a microphone? Oh yeah, I can agree, she really looks the part
    wow lol hatin on camilla cuz shes not Lara enough? Come on ppl really? She is perfect for the part.....reason is cuz its called a REBOOT! They need someone new and Camilla was the perfect pick....and sayin she got picked cuz of her looks really? I mean ya she is sooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful but have you seen the knew Lara? Shes sexy as well lol so it kinda fits and who cares if she sounds British? Its a reboot maybe they wanted to change Lara up alittle bit for once

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •