Thread: 47's Silverballers

47's Silverballers

47's Silverballers

I just love 47's Silverballers. Unfortunately, my 1911 looks nothing like them, so I consulted a 1911 manufacturer who'd make one for me that looks precisely like 47's. Sounds good so far, but the downside is that the price is well beyond anything you'd pay for an ordinary model. In order to avoid spending this kind of money, here's my question: Is there any 1911 out there that looks just like 47's or perhaps even a clone? It needs to be a stainless model, obviously, but parts of it, including the dustcover, should be hard chromium plated so the slide won't take any damage and stop repeating eventually. This pretty much rules out most stainless versions, including Springfield's, though. Thanks!

ur welcome

47's 1911s are AMT Hardballers, an all stainless variant made sometime in the 80s, I believe. According to the internet, the quality was all over the place, but the general consensus was that they were solid guns.

You might want to look for that, I have no idea about the price, but it probably will be more than a standard 1911 since it was featured in the first Terminator movie with a longslide along with the Hitman series.

EDIT: Here's a link to a replica someone made: http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php...aller-replica/
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

AMT also made a variant Hardballer with a 7" barrel called a Longslide. Both the Hardballer and the Hardballer Longslide were stainless steel pistols & the slide to frame fit galled with use causing the frame to weld itself to the slide as both the frame rails & slide were made from the same alloy.

Rasmus Kjær, the artist who originally developed the concept of Hitman & was one of the "founding fathers" of IOI in Copenhagen was intrigued with the cosmetics of the AMT Hardballer, which is why it became 47's signature weapon.
    Teamwork is a lot of people doing what I say while I wander around the Asylum mumbling incoherently.

the long slide is the same gun used in Terminator...the one with the laser scope....

I talked to my gunsmith about the AMT variant today. He seemed horrified by the fact that I actually considered buying it, because he thinks it's crap. It turns out that AMT went broke years ago, though, so their model is out of the question anyway. However, he recommended two other 1911s he suggested might match what I'm looking for, the first one being a stainless Les Bear Concept V. Along with the wooden grip plates, it makes a good impression. The other one he recommended is an STI model called Trojan 5.0. It isn't stainless, but it's possible to have it hard chrome plated, in which case it would look like a stainless model. This might take a while, though, and I want it till christmas. I'm gonna stop by this weekend and take a look at them. Does anybody know one of them?

Stainless Steel .45s vs Carbon Steel

Stainless Steel .45s vs Carbon Steel

Since 47 has also been known to use a katana, let me use the classic samurai sword as an example. Only junk Chinese SLOs (sword like objects) are manufactured from stainless steel. Even the best stainless alloys are comparatively brittle and won't hold an edge. They can be pretty & make good, maintenance free wall hangers. I would say the same thing about stainless steel pistols.

I think the issue with stainless alloy pistols is twofold.

#1. stainless pistols & revolvers are relatively maintenance free. For something that's going to be carried next to your body, in a holster daily, maybe for years, this might be an attractive option.

#2. Cosmetic. Some people just like the looks of a silvery pistol. They are somewhat easier to spot in a dark room when you hear that bump in the night and are sleepily groping for your gun.

The #1 problem with stainless steel pistols is they are NOT robust. Compared to a high carbon steel frame and slide they are PLO. (pistol like objects) not meant for daily use.

I think the problem solver here would be a carbon steel .45 1911 either electroless nickle plating or Cerakote H-170 TITANIUM. I carried a .45 Colt's Combat Commander with a factory electroless nickle finish daily for many years. I put 500 rds. a week through this pistol and it never showed any wear. Both of electroless nickle and Cerakote come in polished (shiny) or satin versions. They offer the toughness of high carbon steel along with the anti-corrosion virtues of stainless steel. You might want to google Cerakote Firearm Coatings.
    Teamwork is a lot of people doing what I say while I wander around the Asylum mumbling incoherently.

The two pistols you mentioned would definitely fit the bill for a AMT-esque 1911, but I know both those brands are VERY high end, so price might be an issue for you (although if you're going to a gunsmith, it probably isn't) and I also think the STI's tend to have rails, which is a big no no for me personally

You might want to look for a somewhat cheaper SS model and get a matching 7 inch slide.
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

Your criticism as regards stainless guns makes sense. Since Colt quit producing 1911s (though I heard someone say they picked it up again) that's not really an option, I guess. Is there any other 1911 with a factory nickle finish around? I suspect that if it's factory made, it doesn't take that long.

Perhaps I should also remark that the pistol is intended for neither hd nor taking it to the shooting range every day. Its main purpose is to look good, although this doesn't mean that I don't care about quality. I'd also prefer it hit the target reasonably if I decided to fire a few rounds. So it's a bit of a balancing act.

Since christmas is almost here, money fortunately isn't that much of an issue, so if either the STI or the Les Baer makes a decent impression, I'd go with one of them. That's not to say that if there actually is a factory nickle 1911 around, I won't consider it.

Btw. why would I need a 7 inch slide? I thought 47's was 5 inch most of the time.