Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Failed to initialize DirectX 11

Failed to initialize DirectX 11

Failed to initialize DirectX 11

Just installed the game. But when I try to launch it, I get following error:
    "Failed to initialize DirectX 11 "

This is my set-up:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
    4GB
    Win 7 x64

All the drivers are updated
    Whats going on ??!

I get that error too, with my Sapphire HD 5770. And before you ask, yes, i have directx properly installed and up to date, as well as my graphic card.

Yup same here, Radeon HD6770, Win 7 x64.

All drivers up to date.

Same problem here, gtx 460 SE X2 in sli, directx is up to date, tried a few different drivers, reinstalled the game, nothing works so far...

alright... just finished installing all new windows update (doubt that was necessary, but long overdue) + ATI beta drivers and the error is gone!

Im not sure if updating the windows is necessary
    Im also running the beta drivers from Nvidia !! im not sure whats the problem

@generalmvkr - have you checked if there are any windows updates outstanding?
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

Yes there is , i didn't update my windows for a while now
    any chance this is what causing the problem ?

I am getting this same issue. I have no windows updates needed, and have installed the beta drivers from Nvidia. Not 100% sure what's going on.

Just done a quick google search and theres quite a few things that come up about this error across many games.. since we rely on DirectX on the machine being all up and running any `issues` its having means our game wont run 100% as should..

I've seen some users say updating video drivers fixed it, others saying windows updates (optional ones) helped, and then theres some saying they had to create a new `user` on their windows setup (doesnt change steam at all u still log in as normal user but your WINDOWS user is `new`) and that helped..

Just registered to let you know that problem has vanished once I installed Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

Ahh interesting Ta for letting us know

The error message 'Failed to initialize DirectX 11' means that the game is unable to find D3D11.dll. This is an integral part of Windows 7, so if this is missing or corrupt on a machine it seems to indicate the windows installation is fairly corrupt. Installing Windows updates may resolve this, but it means the system is in a pretty bad state.

If you receive this on Windows Vista it is usually an indication that you will need to install additional Windows Updates to add DX11 support to Windows Vista. Windows Vista does not support DirectX 11 out of the box, it requires Windows Vista SP2 with an additional Windows Update that adds DX 11 itself.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=3274 <- this is the Vista update thats required

I confirm that installing the Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 64bit solved the problem.

Could you please let us know which update fixes the problem? I don't have enough space on my SSD to install the whole 7gigs this monstrous service pack requires. Furthermore, windows update in general is full of unnecessary garbage that provides more holes in security than it fixes.

Please let us know which update is required.

Seriously guys you just released a game that hasn't been tested on different configurations? And you are googling to find the answer? Are you getting paid for your job?
    I mean come on be professional and give a SPECIFIC solution to this directx problem.
    Not all pc users want to mess up their system and install some bloody gigabytes of windows sp1 just to play a game. Or you should at least mention it in the game requirements.
    Unless you don't care about the pc version which I'm afraid it's the case with most companies nowadays..

Originally Posted by 3454675
    Seriously guys you just released a game that hasn't been tested on different configurations? And you are googling to find the answer? Are you getting paid for your job?
    I mean come on be professional and give a SPECIFIC solution to this directx problem.
    Not all pc users want to mess up their system and install some bloody gigabytes of windows sp1 just to play a game. Or you should at least mention it in the game requirements.
    Unless you don't care about the pc version which I'm afraid it's the case with most companies nowadays..
    No, you don't understand. They've tested it thoroughly for the consoles. After which, they just transferred the code over and changed the control scheme. Believe me, PC gaming is not dead because of pirating. PC gaming is dead because of money hungry gaming companies who expect money for complete and utter garbage. Now, I'm not saying this about Eidos specifically. I think they make decent games, like DXHR. However, like every other company, they are guilty of releasing ty ports and taking their sweet-ass time patching out the problems afterwards.

Does anyone remember the DXHR stuttering issues? Because I do....

Originally Posted by Nixxes
    The error message 'Failed to initialize DirectX 11' means that the game is unable to find D3D11.dll. This is an integral part of Windows 7, so if this is missing or corrupt on a machine it seems to indicate the windows installation is fairly corrupt. Installing Windows updates may resolve this, but it means the system is in a pretty bad state.

If you receive this on Windows Vista it is usually an indication that you will need to install additional Windows Updates to add DX11 support to Windows Vista. Windows Vista does not support DirectX 11 out of the box, it requires Windows Vista SP2 with an additional Windows Update that adds DX 11 itself.

Just wanted to come by here and say, nope -- not true at all.

I have this same issue with your game, won't run "Failed to Initialize Direct X 11"

This doesn't mean much on it's own -- however, I browsed my system32 folder, D3D11.dll is chillen right where it's supposed to.

FURTHERMORE; this is the meat in the potato -- if D3D11.dll was corrupt, as you say -- no game would run in DX11, yet I own numerous DX11 games including Human Revolution, and they all run beautifully max settings confirming there is nothing wrong with the D3D11.dll file.

I'd also like to note, that -- Direct X 11 uses d3dx11_43.dll also, however -- you've neglected to even acknowledge this .dll even existed.

The problem is NOT with people's machines, it's quite simply with YOUR GAME.

I've tried this on multiple computers with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and all of them have the same issue.

Hilariously enough, all of them run other DX11 games like a charm.

Eidos, you got me SMH. I'm honestly embarrassed for you, because I have a sneaking suspicion that the game REQUIRES SP1.

However, what's also interesting to note; this issue exists on Windows 8 64bit also.

You support guys should get on the phone with I/O and get this sorted quickly instead of telling people it's their machines when evidently it's not.

P.S.

I tried this on a fresh format also, same problem. This rules out Malware/Addware/Spyware/Virus' 100% further confirming that this is in fact an issue with the game itself.

PC Specs are as follows;
    i72600k 3.4
    12gbs of ram
    nVidia GTX 680 with the newest certified drivers

I suggest you get the ball rolling before there is a class action suit, since there are literally thousands of people suffering from this very error specifically with HMA.

[A cursory google search will show you just how prominent this problem is with your game in specific.]

I gotta smoke a joint just to calm my nerves from how aggravated I've become trying to get this to work. HIGHLY anticipated this game, probably shouldn't have even bought it as there is much more important things to take care of with my money at the moment, so it hurts TWICE as much when the game doesn't work for customers like myself.

{I'm currently running Windows Update getting the prereqs to SP1, I'll update you guys with the result when it's done in like 97 hours.}

Im facing the same problem i don't have enough space to update SP1 !! not sure what to do
    I was planning to format my pc and to update it to windows 8 but im not sure even if im going to face the same problem with windows 8 !

Laokin Please update if SP1 fix the problem

Hi,

It should not be the case that SP1 is required on Windows 7. As part of compatibility testing various combinations of OS and Service Pack have been tested and have not shown to be a problem.

That said, we certainly cannot rule out that whatever is causing the problem does get resolved by installing SP1, in fact, reports from other users seem to indicate that it often does.

All we know at this point is that the error occurs when the game checks for D3D11 support by loading D3D11.dll. This would be coming out of the SysWOW64 folder on a 64-bit OS, and system32 on a 32bit OS.

We are obviously investigating this more and hope to be able to resolve this issue for everyone soon.

Still doesn't work

This post is just to confirm that some of the aforementioned supposed "fixes" don't work, as I have tried them all, ie updating absolutely everything in Windows Update, including SP1, to the latest NVIDIA driver, to the new user acct.

No matter what, still always the failed to initialize error on startup.

Running windows update fixed this issue, but I haven't played yet, just loaded the game up.

I would like to mention that even though installing the SP1 solved the directx related issue, it made my computer a useless piece of garbage. I got a slower boot (like one and a half minute slover), crappy memory usage, a lot of useless tasks running in background, and so on. I decided to remove the SP1 and wait for a better solution because, honestly, the Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 is the answer to the question "How can i make my computer worthless?".

Big Grin

Originally Posted by Nixxes
    Hi,

It should not be the case that SP1 is required on Windows 7. As part of compatibility testing various combinations of OS and Service Pack have been tested and have not shown to be a problem.

That said, we certainly cannot rule out that whatever is causing the problem does get resolved by installing SP1, in fact, reports from other users seem to indicate that it often does.

All we know at this point is that the error occurs when the game checks for D3D11 support by loading D3D11.dll. This would be coming out of the SysWOW64 folder on a 64-bit OS, and system32 on a 32bit OS.

We are obviously investigating this more and hope to be able to resolve this issue for everyone soon.

Hi,
    I have found a solution that doesn't require SP1 and its quite simple actually.

You mentioned "the game checks for D3D11 support by loading D3D11.dll"

Well... what if its there but it can't find it?
    So all I did was add the SySWOW64 folder to the Windows environment variables and it worked!

--- [ The Solution ] ---

Go to Start, right-click on "Computer" and select properties.
    Then select "Advanced system settings"
    Click on the "Environment Variables" button

Under System Variables scroll down until you find "Path"
    Double click on it and at the end of the text in there add in the
    Variable Value section:
    ";C:\Windows\SysWOW64" (the ; is used as a separator)

Click OK on both windows and you're done!

Happy Gaming!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last