Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will you play Tomb Raider more realistically? or casually?

Smile will you play Tomb Raider more realistically? or casually?

Oh yes even though a system design is set with a combination of simulation based and casual based gameplay designs, there are methods to experience the gameplay in more profound ways depending on player's play style. Let's take running for example, a casual player (which is a playstyle, nothing wrong with that.) would simply use running, and "keep" running just because there is no energy system that makes running more realistic and balanced, so they keep running because they "can". but a more hardcore/survivor player, could pace themselves based on how they feel a person can run before they get tired and have to slow down and walk for a bit to catch their breath. Neither style is wrong, but it goes to show that simulation/realism fans can take the gameplay to a greater degree of immersion and challenge based on their own playstyle. Another example is fast travel, nothing wrong with that, but immersion fans don't have to use it, so travel is more natural without using "teleport".

id play it realistically ... but still im not sure ... it really depends on how the game would be . for instance if i like Lara's walking animations and the way she reacts to environments , Sure i'll walk all the time and never use fast travel
    signature image

a casual player (which is a playstyle, nothing wrong with that.) would simply use running, and "keep" running just because there is no energy system that makes running more realistic and balanced, so they keep running because they "can". but a more hardcore/survivor player, could pace themselves based on how they feel a person can run before they get tired and have to slow down and walk for a bit to catch their breath.
    A hardcore/survivor player will play with everything he has in order to survive. Because the game is well-designed and provides a challenge.

A desperate hardcore/survivor player will in his desperation restrain himself because the game is not well-designed, so he must create an additional set of artificial rules in order to have at least some sort of challenge.

i think that i'll play it trying to not die cuz i want to give reality to the fact that lara is surviving
    and i think that i'll explore and collect everything, or, at least, i'll try to do it
    but i don't want to fight too much, so i'll try to go unnoticed by the humans

Quote Originally Posted by pidipidi39 View Post
    i think that i'll play it trying to not die cuz i want to give reality to the fact that lara is surviving
    and i think that i'll explore and collect everything, or, at least, i'll try to do it
    but i don't want to fight too much, so i'll try to go unnoticed by the humans

Me too. I hope its not too first-person-shooterish and we have options to use stealth or avoidance in some areas rather than just being a bloodfest.
    Show us the tombs!
    ᴙє₳Ŀi₮ɣ is for people who can't handle ΩӍß Ɍ∆¡Ðєʁ.

Depends, possibly more realistically, if we're talking about travelling... But hey, sometimes I'll just want to get to a place... Like now, playing LA Noire, most of the time I do the driving, but sometimes I let my partner do it (fast-travel system)
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

I think I prefer realistically
    http://hiropon056.deviantart.com/ Do it like a Dudette! signature image

I will definitely be playing it realistically I find it a lot more engaging an it helps me get more involved in the game

Realistically - and thoroughly, and slowly, to savour the atmosphere and make the moment last.. and last.. and last...

I think Casually from me.

The rate I'm playing games it'll be a long time before I complete it. I've not even finished Resi 6 or Uncharted 3.

So from that I won't be doing a lot of "travelling". Fast Travel for the win.

it depends on the game actually. but otherwise i choose realistic way if possible. im still playing dishonored and i try to avoid killing and getting seen by enemies.
    and if this new TR has possibilities to play the game, i certainly will use all of them at one point. depends how i feel.
    signature image

I would have to say casual. I am not going to avoid using a weapon, dressing Lara in an out of context outfit or using an ability. If it's been put in the game I would use it. The big exception is if it's something overpowered that removes the challenge aspect. Often with bosses it's been more fun to try win with just pistols.

I think it's up to the game itself to bring both realism and the thrill of playing as Lara. Only if the story and environment were REALLY immersive then maybe I would be tempted to switch to realistic.
    signature image

I find myself wanting to play realistically. Its also how I explored the Prince of Persia series. Wandering about, and finding out where not to, and where to go. However, given this is a different adventure those rules change. So its possible we may all find different paths as we go along the island.
    signature image

I'd say realistically. Generally, I do that with whichever game I can.
    I'm a hardcore TR fan, so I'd like to make my experience as enjoyable and fun as possible

I will play this game like every tomb raider game.
    Whenever I get frustrated/bored I'll jump of the nearest cliff.
    Laughing hysterically.

Quote Originally Posted by Luda View Post
    I will play this game like every tomb raider game.
    Whenever I get frustrated/bored I'll jump of the nearest cliff.
    Laughing hysterically.
    wow dude... this is a bit strange but okidoki

^ It's what TR fans do And I think this fandom (omg, damn tumblr is taking over me) is the only one that does that
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    ^ It's what TR fans do And I think this fandom (omg, damn tumblr is taking over me) is the only one that does that
    I'm a TR fan and, i admit it, sometimes i laugh hysterically playing TR (especially the first ones), but i never killed Lara in this way :/ Poor little Lara

I would go so far as to say that preforming swan dives onto rocks is required.
    Qu'est-ce que

I like running because if it's a good game I want to play it again and again and I don't like having to stick with walking. I don't find it fun and I don't like it in any game. A game is a game, it's not real life, make them run so you can pretend that that could happen in real life.

lol. everyone here seams to enjoy killing lara by dropping her off cliffs, etc. is that the main reason why everyone loves TR
    signature image

Exclamation

oh one thing I would do with playstyle, is also not abuse healing items and ammo. Even if there are stacks of extra arrows, I probably wouldn't pick them up unless 1. they are located in a seemingly believable spot to find materials for arrows 2. depending on situation, might ignore them unless it's only way to progress or only way to defeat a mandatory enemy. 3. overall try to survive naturally. If I see a healing kit that seems placed in a place that just feels artificial and forced, I'd probably ignore it. I would try to advance without using more than 1 healing kit (unless items like that are found in natural places) and try to simulate recovery time advancing so healing doesn't feel like some instant magic wand thing. No need to rush through the island. Also for optional fights, I'd probably run or use stealth if that works. This probably don't have resting besides the camps, but would be cool if there is a sit/lay down/rest function for RP.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post
    lol. everyone here seams to enjoy killing lara by dropping her off cliffs, etc. is that the main reason why everyone loves TR
    That and two other really big reasons.

Killing Lara is fun.

I like to make her swan dive onto rocks, too. Sometimes I even throw in a mid-dive flip, just to make her land on her spine

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyVein View Post
    That and two other really big reasons.
    Her dual pistols?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast