Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Appreciation & Praise Thread | CD sound designer Alex Wilmer responds on p.6

Official Appreciation & Praise Thread | CD sound designer Alex Wilmer responds on p.6

I feel pretty bad cos I always post my worries about this game on these forums so I just want to take the time to thank CD for putting so much effort into this game! Karl, Brian, Meagan, Camille and the rest of the team have worked their asses off! The camera is amazing, when lara is in tight spaces and it zooms up close, when she crawls through tight spaces and the camera twists and turns in all directions, I just want to say you have done an amazing job so far. Thank you! Tomb raider followed me back on twitter, toooo!! Thanks Karl

This is great, so I'm going to put in my 2cents

Crystal Dynamics, I want to say how you have re-envisioned a gaming icon, and my favorite gaming character, is outstanding. I'll admit when I first heard of the series starting over after Underworld, I was apprehensive.

But the moment I saw the Gameinformer cover, I fell in love all over again. Yeah even with all the blood & grime, I could see past that to what a wonderfully humanized and naturally beautiful Lara you have created.

Some people harped on the... errr, ahhhh... cup size, but you won't hear any complaints from ME. Lara is just as beautiful, in fact even more beautiful than her earlier incarnations because of how authentically real and natural she looks now as compared to her more caricature form of the days of old.

I also applaud taking the series to the M rating, that the game has grown up with its audience. And how we see TR benefits from this with mature atmosphere and intelligent characterization that combined, evokes a new level of sophistication in story crafting.

Kudos on re-imagining an icon who graced the gaming scene for generations, to make her relevant for this generation and that yet to come
    signature image

Wonderful idea to start this, tillymander!

I'm dubbing this the official "show your appreciation thread", to serve as a one-stop for all "thank you" posts, before and after release

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

ALL HAIL CRYSTAL DYNAMICS!!!
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

Wow. This is really kind of you guys. It means so much that you trust us with Lara. I really think we've done her (and you guys!) justice. I can't wait for March 5!

^if you can't wait for march 5, we're already died here

Ever since the first teaser, I had a good feeling about seeing Lara revitalized with a new image and look. Looking back on what the series has been since the original series. It has needed a fresh start, and so glad to see an awesome team putting it together.

Doubts? None here
    signature image

Well: I think a lot of the ideas in this game are extracted from my dreams, which is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

I've never felt like Lara wasn't the character I fell in love with, and so far so good, I trust Crystal with Lara. I'm sure they can wrap her up in an interesting story too.

The measures they seem to have taken to create larger environments are well spent.

The graphics looks greaT!

Steering in mid air is a genius return, so thanks for that most definitely!

I'm totes here for manual aim, the cover system seems good although I'm mildly hesitant that it might be contextual, other than that it would be perfect.

The darkness of the rock is beautiful to me, not sure why I just love it. Very detailed environments, and I LOVE all the raised bridges I'm seeing here and there (in screenshots and videos).

The flags we can swing on seem cool.

The combat sans QTE feels very rough with the evasive rolls and manual aiming at snarling wolves, so that's good!

The idea to implement side-tombs alongside any tombs we uncover via the plot is a great addition (inspired by GOL I wonder?).

The intensity of the gunfire, the sound and the way it destroys cover pieces adds amazing intensity to combat.

The way Lara scurries around in combat makes me the player feel very small and fragile, real, mortal and like a little creature. It's awesome.7

The weather effects are bad-ass. The way the trees sway in the wind. Very atmospheric in general.

In general their ideas are pure win for this game!

It looks so totally IMMERSIVE. And I salute the extra 6 months to deliver a polished product. I'm telling EVERYONE I know to buy it to ensure we get future episodes!
    ᴙє₳Ŀi₮ɣ is for people who can't handle ΩӍß Ɍ∆¡Ðєʁ.

Congratulations, Crystal Dynamics for reinvigorating one of the best franchises in gaming. The franchise was sadly becoming a bit stale and this reboot was well needed. In fact, I love that other gamers are taking interest in this game, when once before they couldn't care less.

You really had done everyone justice. And I cannot wait until we get our hands on it. BRING ON MARCH 5th AWESOMENESS
    signature image

Thank you! Just... thank you! All the hard work you've put in is amazing It'll be well worth the 5 year wait
    signature image

Okay.

I know people who have worries and aspirations for the Tomb Raider series do not base all of their personal requirements on the classic Tomb Raider games, so this may be somewhat irrelevant.

Not to mention, no matter what the classic Tomb Raider games were to the gaming community as a whole, certain fans will always have different feelings and experiences.

But I feel like (so far) this game is a really faithful integration of Tomb Raider into the mainstream world and the cinematic style of gameplay. I may disagree with some of that route, but it seems to be done really well and I've noticed that more and more recently.

Quote Originally Posted by tillymander View Post
    The camera is amazing, when lara is in tight spaces and it zooms up close, when she crawls through tight spaces and the camera twists and turns in all directions, I just want to say you have done an amazing job so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    Lara is just as beautiful, in fact even more beautiful than her earlier incarnations because of how authentically real and natural she looks now as compared to her more caricature form of the days of old.
    Quote Originally Posted by kadosho View Post
    Ever since the first teaser, I had a good feeling about seeing Lara revitalized with a new image and look .... It has needed a fresh start, and so glad to see an awesome team putting it together.
    Wanted to really echo these comments.

The Turning Point trailer had me hooked. I mean, talk about AMAZING. Then I watched the E3 2011 demo, and I admit I was a bit worried and was not interested in the game at that point - I was worried that it was going to be *too* dark, *too* brutal, focused on horror, some kind of tribal island horror game. That was kind of the impression that this demo, and the screenshots from that time, left me with. I knew that this initial impression only represented a small part of the game, but I didn't know how representative of the whole game that small part would be.

Fast forward to only a week or so ago, I finally got back on the bandwagon with the game getting close to release, and I checked out the IGN 60-minute demo, so I could really get a feel of what this game was going to look like.

Blew me away. The cinematic feel of the whole game, the close-up camera following as mentioned by tillymander, the incredible camera work in the climbing radio tower sequence, the fluidity and natural look of the animations, the beautiful environments and the awesome environmental effects, especially fire, the bow as a primary weapon, Lara's entire character design of course my goodness, it's perfect, the feel of combat and the cover system, the music, the visual design for the menus and the whole UI, just incredible, the camp system with the progressive skills and weapons, having flashbacks and the way they're being handled, the fantastic job you've done with the cutscenes running from the in-game engine and the detail and animation of the character models in close-ups, how immersive it's looking especially to make the player feel what Lara is feeling, the premise of the story and the focus on the characterization and emotional aspect to Lara's character, all of the branding (the game logo design) and the key images (like the box art, simply incredible)... and just way too much more to mention. When I look at a game's potential, Tomb Raider has a LOT of potential with a huge stack of items in the "done right" category. This game appeals to me in all the right ways, from the story to the characters to the graphics to the gameplay (which is looking incredibly FUN) to the overall experience, the complete package. All I can say is that it's looking phenomenal, and I can't wait to play it!

Alright, gushing over now. More constructively critical posts can follow in other threads

So good to this thread resurfaced
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    So good to this thread resurfaced
    Yeah I commented on it because Driber referred me to here after I said that we should send a congratulatory enter to them
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by XylophoneDealers View Post
    Yeah I commented on it because Driber referred me to here after I said that we should send a congratulatory enter to them
    You done well son, you done real well
    signature image

If my confidence in the re-imagining of Lara is to be inferred from anything, it'd be the fact that it's the first game I've pre-ordered. Ever. And the CE no less.

I may hold judgement on the multiplayer, but the single player is going to be awesome.

Side story
    When the trailer first came out, I was in the middle of an office project to set up a Qt5 development progress reporting display. I nonchalantly added said trailer to the broadcast timer, so it showed about every 20 minutes.
    It initially impressed a few of my colleagues, but the stunned looks came when they realised it was Lara. I was the office Raider Nerd, but I may have brought along a few converts!
    signature image

I have been thanking my lucky stars since the first trailer came out, I've annoyed my friends in 3 states talking about nothing but this game and I've watched that many demos with my partner that he can now quote them but it is so worth it. I've grown up with Tomb Raider and I thank you for keeping it going, from the bottom of my heart.
    signature image
    "The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are."

I love this game soooo much, im actually cancelling my order of Aliens Colonial Marines Collectors Edition just to be able to buy the Tomb Raider Collectors Edition along with the controller and strategy guide <3 I will still be getting Aliens (love the movie!) but in april <3

Yeah, this game looks amazing!! Awesome job, CD in bringing back a great franchise! PS3 collectors edition pre ordered

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_kittycat View Post
    I love this game soooo much, im actually cancelling my order of Aliens Colonial Marines Collectors Edition just to be able to buy the Tomb Raider Collectors Edition along with the controller and strategy guide <3 I will still be getting Aliens (love the movie!) but in april <3
    That's so kind of you
    I don't know pretty much anything about the Aliens game, but i know that i loved the movie too

This thread needs more love!

I'm totally still stuck on this IGN demo, it's so amazing...

Just wanted to start listing some of all my favorite things that are making this game look incredible. When the game is released I'll probably go back to this list as a start pointing to writing a review.

- fire smoke effects and sparks floating everywhere, looks fantastic
    - lighting (lanterns, fire) is very atmospheric, very well done
    - area design is great, each area looks unique and well-designed
    - could easily just stand around and admire each area for a long time
    - can't wait to experience automatic cover system, it looks really good
    - mobility in combat looks really fun, combat areas have great designs
    - love Lara's climbing over ledge animation, very smooth
    - i like playing stealth paths, so very excited for bow
    - Lara's presence in the world feels solid
    - love Lara's ponytail not just staying behind her head but also falling over her shoulders
    - rain and lightning look really good, i like the rain (and other stuff) on "camera" our POV
    - Lara's animations look great, really fluid
    - "going from the wide open down to something that's so intimate" - i love these moments, they seem really well done and as they said, "brings you closer to the character", totally agree.
    - environmental wind effects on trees and lanterns!
    - Lara's ponytail and arms when she's falling, her collapse on ground when she's jumped too far but still uninjured, great animations
    - Lara's arms when she jumps LOL
    - really enjoying Camilla's acting - "i don't think i'm that kind of Croft" is perfect - and then all her breathing animated before her next line... they've really paid attention to the beats in the acting, very cinematic, very film-like, not just actors recording dialogue
    - subtle (and not-so-subtle) changes in environment and music cues trigger perfectly to compliment the story progression! so good.
    - timed events (lightning strike) keep the stakes feeling "real" and urgent
    - interactive environment, a beam that breaks when you jump to it. they could have just made it a beam, but they made it interactive instead, this adds so much to the stakes, the atmosphere, the immersion...
    - and even more interactive environment stuff happening... this stuff is key and such a good job done on this. it's like the tunnel flooding at the beginning of bioshock, that "holy crap" moment when you first play, you feel you will die unless you escape. these mini "set pieces" appear to be continuous in this game, which really keeps the adrenaline going.
    - all the black and white menus, from basecamps to relic menus etc are just gorgeous, really clean yet compelling and beautiful visual design, and fantastic animations in the menus, that's what inspired my avatar and signature
    - Lara shaking off her arms when she rises from water
    - good reaction from enemies being shot in various body parts
    - seamless transition from gameplay to in-engine cutscenes is great
    - textures look good, i wonder if they're doing higher textures on PC, even if not, the game's graphics overall are excellent, not just textures that are important, it's the lighting and effects and modelling that make everything look so good
    - snowwww is falling, looks really good!
    - flares look great
    - lots of cinematic moments leading up to the radio tower, but man, getting to the top of that radio tower, that's just magic right there, such a good feeling getting to that point after everything else, that payoff is well deserved and perfectly executed with so many perfect little details that just combine to make it right, if there are more moments like that interspersed through the game it'll keep the player engaged and well rewarded (besides all the other things that are satisfying as you progress).

Couple things that stood out and broke the immersion

- torch animation looks strange when Lara runs with it, almost like a 2D sprite, it looks flat especially when you make a quick move, you see it bend in weird ways that it would if you were distorting a 2d sprite. definitely think this needs to be fixed, it's fairly distracting
    - Lara's ponytail is fantastic overall, in the wind it's great but just a couple beats in cutscenes where it's unnatural, just slight tweaking would really make a difference

Ughhhhhhh I can't wait for this game to be released!
    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

^wow... huge list Relight

fan for life

Everything I see about the game makes me more excited. I cannot wait for March. I think CD have done a fantastic job from what I can see. Of course, I haven't played it myself (any events in London coming up? ) so I could be disappointed - but I don't think I will.
    signature image

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast