Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lexy's SR Fan Art Thread

Lexy's SR Fan Art Thread

I think I remember TheHylden saying it was OK to create a thread to post some of my own fan art in - though I wasn't sure where exactly a fan art thread best belongs - I figured in the SR board rather than General LoK, since I don't have much experience with the BO games, it's likely I'll only be drawing things from SR because that's all I really 'know'...

...And if I make a thread for it, I'll motivate myself to update it with more things. (Currently work is kinda relaxed so I've had time to do some arts for myself). And I don't know, maybe you guys can give me some critique on it, or info about things Nosgothic, because I'm a stickler for the details and you are far more knowledgeable about it than I.

I've been a fan of this series all along, it totally deserves for me to pay it some mind/tribute... and it's also a good way for me to get back into practice with different styles of drawing or painting. I may even take a crack at some polymer sculptures in future too, since that is mostly what I do now.

Okay, here's some older stuff - just some quick sketches really because I'd been playing SR2 and wanted to draw some Sarafan. I guess this was an exercise in trying to 'know the character'. These are not 'finished' or anything, they're just loose/messy practices so I could just get the hang of drawing Raziel (and Sarafan Raziel is an utter pain to draw for some reason, not least because of that elaborate freaking armour :q). Does this forum auto-scale images down for easier viewing? Let's find out -

(click image to enlarge)

Ooh, it does.

He's got two bracer blades there, which he doesn't really have. The reason for that was... I think I just liked drawing the first blade, I couldn't help drawing another. Blasphemous.

(click image to enlarge)

Just to get some kind of really basic handle on his face. I wasn't happy with it - Raziel is inconsistent in different concept arts and fanarts to the point where I found myself wondering what he 'really looks like'. Like Corlagon and I were discussing, the Sarafan Inquisitors were apparently meant to be middle-aged, but Raziel ALWAYS comes out looking younger, and his vampire countenance looks younger than the others to me as well. So what the hell, I made him fairly younger than middle-aged. He also appears fairly young in the digital painting Dan Cabuco made of him as Inquisitor, which I've adopted as my basic mental image of him, since it gets across his character pretty sharpish, much better than other pictures of human Raz that I can find.

Excuse the mangaesque style here - I was actually in the middle of practicing some manga for something else, and it slipped over into the sketching. It's definitely not my usual style of sketching faces, but works well for turning out quick black and white concepts for my own use.

So - I liked Dan's vision much better than anything else I'd found, and I used that basic 'look' for this painting which I finished up yesterday. There's still a lot of issues for me with this one but I'm done with it, now - gotta let things go.

(click image to enlarge)

References galore used. Featuring the only horse in Nosgoth.

It's not meant to be a character portrait - I was just trying to practice 'mood'/atmosphere, and 'realistic' colours, so it's best to look at it full-size to get that from it. I don't think I got full score there at all, it probably would have been better in a gloomier canyon or something? - I can always have a crack at that idea as well. But I liked the juxtaposition/allegory of the dark and light in the image. I'm all about trying to convey either particular moods or feelings at the moment. . . and I am totally out of practice/unskilled when it comes to these. Watch me squirm. xD (In this case, I think I was going for "calm before the storm" type mood. It looks peaceful and snow seems peaceful, but it soon won't be).

You guys feel free to give me your feedback/suggestions/thoughts/throwing knives if you wish. I'll be doing some more things shortly with SR in mind, fo sho.

These are really amazing Lexy. The first one has a really tribal and gritty kind of quality to it; one that I think perfectly captures Sarafan Raziel's intensity and drive. Or something like that. In the second one, the detail and near perfect symmetry on his armor is impressive. But as for the third one, my goodness is that good lookin. The backdrop I think is just fine and appropriate to the "calm before the storm" you were trying to convey here. And as for Raziel himself, the detail of his armor, the color palette, the detail of his horse; it's looks great. Really have to commend you for these. Keep up the incredible work and bring us more of these cool pics!
    I am everywhere...and nowhere. I am everything...and nothing. I am...fear itself!

Thank you!

Black and white only can be effective at getting across 'starkness', whether it's a stark environment or a stark character - I guess it works to some degree with that first Raz pic. (Noir comics make the best use of it, they're usually quite bleak and the characters normally have something dark and distrustful about all of them, and light and shadows alone can tell a story and show expressions perfectly. Perhaps SR and LoK would fit really well into Noir style? - I figure it would, just thinking about it now. . . maybe I'll try it out properly for some SR stuff). Colour is one of my weak points though, so I really should be using more colours more often to get a grip on how to use them effectively. I've been drawing with computers since 2006 but I still feel like a beginner with it -

I did some copy-flipping of the second image to make it go quicker :P Naughty tricks I learned from my old boss making concepts that had to be on his desk YESTERDAY. But nobody cared if they were just concepts to be used to give an impression of something and then discarded later. In my case, just trying to sort out what was meant to be going on with his face and hair there. His hair appears to be shorter on the sides than vamp Raz's is, and wraith Raz's hair seems to have grown a bit more than vamp Raz's in the official concept art? Or was that just a trick of the fact half his face has been burned off - I dunno); but exactly how short it was gonna go I couldn't tell. It ended up being a lot different when I got to the horse pic. I'm going with Daniel's take on the hair from here.

P.S. I love your screen name. xD

Dumah's Land

(click image to enlarge)

Me trying to force myself to work fast tonight. It's... okay if you don't look too hard, lol.

It was supposed to be no more than 4 hours. I think I went over because I cropped half the thing off to close the scene in a bit more, make it more 'claustrophobic' and stifling. One day I'll do a proper pic of this area maybe... as it's one of the most atmospheric places in the game IMO.

Edit: Or maybe I'll go back and clean this one up when I'm feeling less knackered.

I just saw this in my inbox over on DA.
    Very impressive I love how you captured the atmosphere just like in the game.
    "are you trying to bore me into submission?" ~ Raziel/Defiance
    signature image

It would take me 4 hours to draw a stick figgure and a blockish things that i would have to tell you are walls.

Your "okay" is well beyond anything i could possibly create. Give me a month and i wouldnt have anything close to that!

Im not an art student, so i dont know anything about 'starkness' or the "juxtaposition of dark and light." But i can tell you what i think sucks, and what is kick-ass. Your pieces ive seen so far all fall into the latter category.

Nice work!

Thanks, guys. You encourage me.

I was an illustration student once, but they didn't teach me much about drawing at all. I wanted them to teach me to be a better artist, and they wanted to teach me about films instead, for some reason.

...So the ideas about making things look stark or contrasted are just my own brain rambling. I never actually came out the other end knowing much more about painting than when I went in. I've learned a lot more just scrutinizing other people's concept art or watching Youtube/web tutorials than I did in 3 years of uni.

...Which means nobody needs to go through uni to learn it, you can easily teach yourself if you have the time to put into it...

I think I am going to modify that Dumah city pic today. It's scratching at me. . .

Edit: I sorted out some of those horrific wall ash lines, hopefully fixing the perspective a bit (it is correct with the perspective lines I drew to start with, but I lost it a bit as I went). Added some crows and a few texture details, took some liberties with the architecture...

It's hard for me to say anything bad about the Dumah land pic when it looks that good. Whatever liberties you took with it really lends itself well to the actual atmosphere of the area. Having gone through the area at least half-dozen times in my playthroughs of SR1, I can say that for sure. And little touches like the crumbling facade and crashed open gate fit well with the lore. I also think it's pretty cool that for the most part you taught yourself to draw like this. I can honestly sympathize with that fact as I myself am working on writing novel length stories.
    I am everywhere...and nowhere. I am everything...and nothing. I am...fear itself!

Love the mangled gate on the Dumah territory one

Thank you both.

I know much of this isn't too accurate - I remember all of the gates were in place in the area except maybe for the ones you destroy, and I know the walls with the 'horns' didn't look quite like this. There weren't many screenshots that I could find quickly that showed the wall textures in certain areas, so I just knocked together something that roughly reminded me of it. It had a sort of 'Indian palace' look about it in some parts, maybe? Or was that the Sanctuary of the Clans that looked more like that... I think it was.

I didn't use any undersketch for it - apart from about 5 perspective lines/2 vanishing points there was no guide under it, so it's mostly just guessing and referencing 2 little screenshots online - one of the outer walls with flags and one of the 'way in' where the Dumahim corpses are. So it really is just me guessing a lot. I think the city is a bit more derelict here than it really was (missing roofs, broken walls, smashed gates etc.) Broken things are more fun to draw. :q

I really like that Ash Village pic, very atmospheric - can feel the desolate state of the vampire town. Can you give me a link on DA too? So I can fav it

Thank you! Sure thing, here it is: Dumah's Land

Daniel's given me some advice on how to improve that picture, and I will have a crack at following his instructions... so it might be updated on DA in future if we get it looking better. . .

A comparison of the original to the 'updated' version.

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

I was totally bored last night so I decided to mess around with colours and shapes. There was no ref for this for Raziel, and I wanted to make him more human-shaped than he really is (Psycho Mantis skinny perhaps), but I guess the point of it is that he's materializing out of dust, and it was a speed exercise. Nice excuse, lol. I like the colours, I guess.

(click image to enlarge)

Just for kicks.

(click image to enlarge)

Very dynamic Love the color and the turmoil.

It's awesome. Has a very Mount Doomy look.

Thanks

Here is one I tried to do in under 4 hours this afternoon.

(click image to enlarge)

Wowie! I like them all A LOT! Raz about to be tossed into the abyss is prob my fav so far. Keep em comming

Boredom = possible Raziel/Razielim evolution

(click image to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Lexy View Post

(click image to enlarge)

Amazing!!!!

Great job man I'm speechless!
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Lexy View Post

(click image to enlarge)
    Dang Lexy these look sick! I love the way you gradually add on to the character until he becomes this truly bestial creature. Man if you could replicate this with the other clans...that would be sweet! Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by ReaverofCupcakes View Post
    Man if you could replicate this with the other clans...that would be sweet! Keep up the great work!
    Thank you.

I would like to give it a try at some point... if it were to scale to their original forms it would end up being a pretty big image for the likes of Melchiah or Zephon (or Turel...). (This one is to scale I guess, so I have evolved Raziel being about as tall as Dumah).

I want to draw that full body evolved Raziel, but it will have to wait till tomorrow. In the meantime, I tried Razielim armour, LOL. Just a rough drawing, did not go into too much detail or 'accuracy'.

First: Damn Lexy!

Also: While looking at Raz's devolved face i wondered if (since Zephon was spiderish and Rahab was fishy) would Raziel evolve like a bat and be able to use echolocation? Turel has the ears for it though, haha.

What made you decide to depict him like that? Did you have a look you were goin for from the start, or did it just happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Strands Of Night View Post
    First: Damn Lexy!

Also: While looking at Raz's devolved face i wondered if (since Zephon was spiderish and Rahab was fishy) would Raziel evolve like a bat and be able to use echolocation? Turel has the ears for it though, haha.
    That's what I thought. Turel and his people already looked so bat-like, to make Raziel look like a giant bat (even though his wings and human armor scream it) would be too close to him. I did make a version of the evolution picture in which the ears were as large as the wing/ear-parts on the Sarafan helmet (compared to head), but that looked too Turel-like and too Vorador-like also, so I redrew them all, keeping the ears small, almost normal-sized compared to his head.

I figured, Raziel believes Zephon cowardly, and Rahab maladjusted. These things eventually became a part of their physical personality... Zephon locked himself away safe in a belfry becoming spidery, Rahab secluded himself in an abbey, etc. In Raziel's case, had he survived, I doubt he would have hidden himself away at all, given his personality. He would still have continued behaving as we would expect, inhabiting his clan territory with his kind, and their sense of pride and entitlement would probably have increased over time, along with their cruelty perhaps, considering their master is perfectly capable of it. So I tried to think of something that would be strong, agile, prideful and absolutely violent if it wanted to be, and that would also have a sense of superiority about itself over the other clans.

What made you decide to depict him like that? Did you have a look you were goin for from the start, or did it just happen?
    A leonine bestial form seemed an interesting take, as opposed to the dragon-like idea that I've seen before. (Raziel becoming a dragon... hmm. He would far surpass Kain that way, and with everything that dragons traditionally symbolise, that doesn't seem quite right to me. Also, Turel's quadruped form in the pit is quite dragonlike in a way). Raziel is - let's face it - something of a beast. He's got these high morals or standards, which as a human he used to commit 'righteous' violence, and as a vampire he was fine to uphold (until he got screwed over) but THEN he was more than happy to tear his brothers and his maker apart. He reminds me a lot of a 'lion' in personality terms. When he is happy, all is well. When he's wronged, or when he believes someone deserves it, he eats people.

We've had flesh monsters, spiders, fish, rhino and bat monsters in the other lieutenants... I just imagined if I were playing SR1 as someone else, passed the Turel part and got to the Razielim stronghold, what sort of even more difficult creatures might be waiting there. I imagined the Razielim (that second pic is not meant to be evolved Raziel but a regular adult Razielim) as the least-de-evolved of the clans, semi-armored and still using weapons like swords. They would be good all-rounders, having no major weakness, able to use those small wings to get back out of your reach or dive forward to get you, etc. (I made a mistake there in using a crouched pose, because I didn't imagine the Razielim as crouching or hunched, but being fully upright to reflect their 'upstanding' nature. I just did a few drawings to show agility, crouching, hanging off rocks... and that one ended up being finished). I suppose eventually, given a very long time to evolve, these Razielim would become fully bestial, going on all fours and forsaking everything that gave them excuses of pride/honor.

As for Raziel himself, he is technically a sword-user, so he would probably have a bigger version of his old sword, though he's also fine with using his bare claws on anything. I'm just playing around with some sketches of that idea today. If I can come up with something that doesn't look too terrible, I'll share it :P

Well, it is fitting Raziel would become kind of a lion-like being, given his armor chest plate.

The concept and ingame human armor both have a lion on them (the ingame being a little less distinct):

If this image is taken a split second later, Raziel turns so the lion head isn't bent. You can see the eyes, nose, fangs, ears. This one is better, just lighter:

Anyway, it fits having characteristics of both the winged bat, or dragon-like wings on a lion-like body, kind of making a Griffin ultimately, much like the armor suggests with the helmet and shoulder wings There are also winglike bone structures on the back of the armor in the game:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast