Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Defiance Modding Thread - Widescreen Support, Texture Upgrades

Greetings, DennisBell Welcome aboard the forums. I'm glad that the modding community is getting some interest sparked into it.

I've merged your thread with the modding thread, to avoid a string of individual threads for more users and their skins. You can post your links to the textures when they're ready here.

Also, please use the thumb code when posting larger pics, to nost stretch the forum. Thanks.

New skins added. Chained Prisoners and the Sarafan Warriors.

Defiance Skinpack

After some blood, sweat and tears I've finally finished up my skins. Note that this is only my take on the characters. The image below gives a good idea, but I recommend viewing them in-game.
    Feedback is appreciated.

Features
    - Kain, as he appears in the SR intro movies
    - Raziel, as he appears in the SR intro movies
    - Moebius (partly) as he appears in the SR2 intro movie
    - Ariel looks more to her SR appearances
    - Turel, based on his concept art

- Some tone and color changes to Vorador, the Elder God and Mortanius
    - Also redone Kain's Soul Reaver and his and Moebius' chestwound

(click image to enlarge)

Click here to download

Happy Holidays everyone

Thanks for sharing, DennisBell

Updated the OP with my Ariel skin pack, which includes fallen and purified her.

hylden you need to reupload or fix the link for Ariel,it says the file has been deleted successfully o_O
    "are you trying to bore me into submission?" ~ Raziel/Defiance
    signature image

lol, looks like I did upload the the delete link option... Good gravy!

Thanks for letting me know, maginkura . The new link has been uploaded.

I made a video tribute with your mod in the villa of Vorador tell me if you like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    lol, looks like I did upload the the delete link option... Good gravy!

Thanks for letting me know, maginkura . The new link has been uploaded.
    no problem! if i come across any other errors i'll let you know.
    "are you trying to bore me into submission?" ~ Raziel/Defiance
    signature image

Thanks for sharing, janos audron It looks like you're having a lot of fun tearing up those statues with new Raziel.

I hope to get to those Statues, with the rest of the enemies. After the main players are done.

Sounds good, maginkura. Always good to have an extra pair of eyes for a tired me, heh.

Thanks for sharing, janos audron It looks like you're having a lot of fun tearing up those statues with new Raziel.

I hope to get to those Statues, with the rest of the enemies. After the main players are done.

Sounds good, maginkura. Always good to have an extra pair of eyes for a tired me, heh.
    Thank you for the compliments I am planning a new video for kain, I have yet to decide whether to do it at the beginning with the sarafan, or in search of the emblems of balance

You're welcome

Ah, well the Sarafan also, at least, have been upgraded for enemies.

Are you guys able to modify SR2's textures as well? If you can, would it be possible to make versions of the reaver glyph and plane shift glyph that look like the pillar symbols here?:

http://www.thelostworlds.net/LoKSeries/Symbols.html

Ideally you could find a any vrm file that has 11 different textures in it that all match the width and hight of the glyph textures in the game. There's something I want to try, but the calculations have to be exactly right.

It might be a while before I can try it out though.

EDIT: I originally said 10 textures, but I meant 11. The first two would be the ones I mentioned and the others would be the nine pillar glyphs if you see where I'm going with this.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Hi, Vampmaster. I'm using Texmod to extract the textures and then to run the skin packs. It doesn't appear to work with SR2, or the other games. A user found a way to get it to work with BO2. They posted how here. I haven't had a chance even to see how it works, I've been so wrapped up in Defiance's textures. If something similar works for SR2, perhaps Texmod can be used, but it doesn't recompile the new textures back into the .BIG file. if that's what you'd need.

Incidentally, you wouldn't happen to have the ability to add things to ol' Defiance's main files, like room for specular/reflector/bump maps on top of the existing textures, item properties, etc.? If there only could be such an upgrade ability, and little things like upping the polygon count of the models...

Well, I was talking to Ben last year and we had some ideas about hot to make bigfile.dat even bigger by adding new files and replacing existing ones. I'm hoping he can add that feature into SoulSpiral at some point.

The thing with the glyphs will be an experiment to see if a the glyph texture vrm file can be replaced with a larger one containing all 12 textures (I forgot the map glyph before).

If that does work, the glyph drm file should be a fairly small one and hopefully simple to extend. In theory, it contains the object data corresponding to the three existing glyph icons and once the textures are there, I can try copy/pasting that data to create the pillar glyphs and changing the texture IDs appropriately.

The problem with the models is there's a load of unknown data mixed in with the data that I can extract. If I want to add more polys, any of the data that comes after them will no longer be in the right place and I'd need to update anything referencing it to know the new location.

It's all a matter of knowing what the unknown data is for and whether it's size or content relies on a fixed number of polygons. The glyphs will be a good test case, but I have no idea if I'll ever be able to just slot in any character model that someone created in 3DS Max.

EDIT: AFAIK SR2's textures are in exactly the same format as Defiances, so what ever technique you're using for Defiance should work for SR2.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Hm, I'm not sure I get what you are asking for.

First, though, Texmod doesn't work, unfortunately. At least it doesn't work to initially log the textures, which has to happen first. It won't load with SR2. I'm doubting it will work to run a rendered skinpack file, either, were I to modify any of its texture files. However, Corlagon in the other thread about BO2 mentioned another program, 3D Ripper DX, and that did work to log the textures. So, I have them, at least. I don't think that program works to recompile them, though.

In order to read them, as they are .dds files, I had to get a converter, since I work with Photoshop on the Mac and there isn't any pluggin for Macs. But, now they are in bitmap format, to keep it simple.

Now, are you asking to have the symbols simply replaced with the linked ones on blincon's site? Am I reading you want them combined somehow into one file?

You mentioned dimensions being the same. The Pillar symbols aren't divided the same way the other ones are. There are 3 files for their symbols. Each file has three of the symbols stacked, and the background of the colored Pillar segment they're on.

They look like this:

That is one file, unaltered.

The other symbols you wanted -- the map, reaver, spectral, etc. -- they have their own separate files and besides the sizes varying, their square dimensions are the same:

Anyway, can you clarify?

Also, once they are modified, how would you need them? Did you want them back in the .dds format, in bitmap, or something else?

As for upping the .big file one day, I'll cross my fingers for you guys.

The other symbols you wanted -- the map, reaver, spectral, etc. -- they have their own separate files and besides the sizes varying, their square dimensions are the same:

I was referring to those ones. Each vrm file in the bigfile is a set of several dds files with their headers stripped off. I assumed that for Defiance, you had extracted the dds files using the EyeOfRaw or OnlySkinDeep from tlw or something, edited the dds files and reinserted them into the vrms. If that's not the case, I'll just have to keep working on those apps until they do what I need.

IIRC, the map, reaver and spectral glyph textures are three dds files contained in one vrm.

Yeah, I haven't used either of those programs. My goal eventually is to be able to recompile them back into the game, because running the skins from Texmod means a long load time before the game runs. It's not so bad with one, or two, character skins, but with 70, a hundred, and now over 200 texture files added to the big one, it takes upwards of 4-5 minutes before the game starts.

I'll take a look at those applications. Mind you, I'm just figuring this stuff out myself with no experience doing it before.

Oh, so you're not actually editing any files. In that case, the SoulSpiral and OnlySkinDeep are programs that Ben wrote which currently extract bigfile->vrm->dds and what I've been working on is an update to OnlySkinDeep to convert dds back to vrm files.

I am editing the textures, but I can't replace them back into the game. They run separately (I think we're both saying the same thing, just making sure). It doesn't seem I need to use Soul Spiral, since 3D Ripper DX has already ripped the .dds files. As for editing them: do you still need me to edit them for you? I can do so in Photoshop, then convert them back into .dds using the DDS converter I found (unless you're able to do that on your own already) and you can see if you can recompile them back into .vrms. If you can, then great. That's one step closer to making an actual upgraded game for everyone.

Yeah, for now if I at least have dds files to use, I can test out the feature when I get it working. It might not be immediately while I'm studying web develoment for a job I'm trying to get.

The files will have to be the same dimensions, size in memory and have the same number of mip levels while I'm figuring out how to get it all to work.

would be nice to improve the texture of the statues

Indeed.

Janos' skin pack is ready for download. Updated the OP.

Hylden, could you please upload to sendspace.com? They support files up to 300 megs and don't have a limit. Downloading from Hotfile will take all day.

Since I know for Raina and you and others, probably, Hotfile is proving a pain, I've asked to make sure. When you come down to it, most any of these host sites have some adverts with them. SendSpace is approved for use. I've uploaded the full Kain and Raziel pack, which isn't all of the skins, but everything including Ariel. You can start on that and I'll be uploading the rest tomorrow

I'll also be offering alternatives for the Widescreen videos on SendSpace, if they aren't too large. I don't think they are.

All videos and skins are now downloadable via SendSpace.

Mortanius' skin packs, both hooded and non-hooded versions, are uploaded.

That OP post is getting to be a real monster.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast