Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Final Hours of Tomb Raider

The Final Hours of Tomb Raider

Just got this from Meagan via email. Something very, very cool to watch!

And here is the press release, from the official assets FTP:

ZACHARY LEVI AND CRYSTAL DYNAMICS TO COLLABORATE ON THE FINAL HOURS OF TOMB RAIDER WEB DOCUMENTARIES

Crystal Dynamics Partners With Geoff Keighley To Produce New Installment of
    Groundbreaking “The Final Hours” Interactive Journalism Series

Redwood City, CA (June 28, 2012) — Crystal Dynamics, a Square Enix studio, today announced that it will take fans behind the scenes for The Final Hours of Tomb Raider. The studio has partnered with video game journalist Geoff Keighley to produce an innovative new installment in his well-regarded Final Hours series, which will include both an App and for the first time, a documentary web series hosted by actor and gamer Zachary Levi.

The Final Hours of Tomb Raider will give fans an unprecedented, fly-on-the-wall perspective of the twists and turns of game development and highlight the key creative forces responsible for reimagining the iconic video game franchise Tomb Raider®.

“I have personally been a big fan of what Geoff achieved with the last two Final Hours projects,” said Karl Stewart, global brand director of Crystal Dynamics. “Sometimes the personal side of game development can get lost in the noise of bringing a game to fruition. Geoff has an uncanny ability to bring that side to life in a very unique and informative way.”

“The Final Hours series documents the creative process behind today’s most anticipated games, with a particular focus on the final stretch of development,” said Geoff Keighley. “In the case of Tomb Raider I’m especially excited because, at its heart, this is a tale about the act of reinvention, both of a studio and of a franchise.”

The Final Hours of Tomb Raider will be available in March 2013 for iPad, PC, and, for the first time via a partnership with Amazon.com, for Kindle Fire.

In addition to the development of The Final Hours of Tomb Raider interactive app, the Final Hours concept will be expanded for the first time with the release of a series of exclusive fly-on-the-wall short documentaries to be hosted by Chuck and Tangled star and long-time gamer, Zachary Levi. The series commences with an exclusive interview on location with the newly announced voice and character of Lara Croft®, Camilla Luddington. Future documentaries will see Levi visit the Crystal Dynamics studio to profile other key team members as they march towards the final hours of development.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

ZACHARY LEVI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool idea! I always love to see behind the scenes stuff! Can't wait for more of these!!!

But seriously! Zachary Levi!!!! How awesome is that!!?!?!!
    signature image

I reallllyyy like it !! Well done and looking forward to the rest :P

OMG amazing + I spotted some new content fragments too!

And to whoever of you said that Camilla is 'Forcing her accent'; STHU, she has a natural British accent

Quote Originally Posted by LARALOVERnr.1 View Post
    OMG amazing + I spotted some new content fragments too!

And to whoever of you said that Camilla is 'Forcing her accent'; STHU, she has a natural British accent
    That is not a natural English accent. It sounds even more forced than anything i've heard of her so far. She seems like a lovely person and a good actress but I'm just at a total loss with her accent now.

And i'm not one to drool over men but Zachary Levi is just too much!

And here is the press release, from the official assets FTP:

(Added to OP)

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by LadyRufina View Post
    That is not a natural English accent. It sounds even more forced than anything i've heard of her so far. She seems like a lovely person and a good actress but I'm just at a total loss with her accent now.

And i'm not one to drool over men but Zachary Levi is just too much
    THANK YOU!!! I thought I was going crazy after I read LARALOVER's comment because to me that didn't sound like a natural English accent at all!!!

And yes, Zach is my nerd god!!!
    signature image

Camilla looks like a real cutie in that video. I guess more episodes like this will come.

Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    THANK YOU!!! I thought I was going crazy after I read LARALOVER's comment because to me that didn't sound like a natural English accent at all!!!

And yes, Zach is my nerd god!!!
    Ikr? I love that he is a super nerd and proud. Most men are scared to show their nerdy side because it's not considered 'cool' but I think it's sweet.

@LadyRufina
    @dark7angel
    I've been watching some interviews, and I've come to the conclusion that you are right, to a certain extent. Her natural accent is not that strong indeed, but she has it. In American talkshows she will ofcourse try to hide it, but in other interviews the accent is definately there. She just enhanced it for this interview. I dunno what you mean with 'fake', I don't like an accent like that (gonna upset a lot of British people now XD), but it sounds fine to me.

And Zach does not look nerdy at all to me XD Far from ^_^

Man, even Zachary Levi was a bit shocked at that kill. Brutal stuff.

Camilla's accent has returned much more, lol Far more than in any other interview I've seen.

Edit: I think she has lost some of the British over time, but her "natural" accent is basically this. Some words are Americanized, others are not. Darrell Gallagher's accent has similar things going on, but we're not scrutinizing his, heh.

@LadyRufina
    @dark7angel
    I've been watching some interviews, and I've come to the conclusion that you are right, to a certain extent. Her natural accent is not that strong indeed, but she has it. In American talkshows she will ofcourse try to hide it, but in other interviews the accent is definately there. She just enhanced it for this interview. I dunno what you mean with 'fake', I don't like an accent like that (gonna upset a lot of British people now XD), but it sounds fine to me.

Oh yeah I completely agree with you on where she tries to vamp up the American side to her accent on American interviews and tries to sound more English in English interviews. Imo, that is fake. She should just let her natural accent come through so she doesn't sound so forced.

awesome video i love to see more episodes of this

She looks so nice in this video, and I think I like her somehow normal voice. I'm even starting to like her!

But there is still a problem: why, oh why is her voice so unpleasant in the game?! Why is she forcing herself so much to get that accent? She has such a beautiful voice, but without forcing!

And yeah, how come she is also doing a motion capture stuff? I thought they need a gymnast to do that...

Man, I was sitting in my room thinking "Man, I don't want to go to work" and I see this footage and I'm all like "It's gonna be worth it"

(in case of question marks appearing over your head, I got myself a job last week, and with that money I intend to buy a new PC ^^ ) Zachary Levi is awesome, love these series! And I must say, I'm fine with Camilla xD But I think it was a bit of a spoiler that they showed the man getting killed xD
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

I actually agree. That moment is rather a huge deal for her in this game, not to mention the shock value of the kill is somewhat diminished now. What they showed of the aftermath of the kill in the last trailer was enough to get the point across.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivana KC View Post
    And yeah, how come she is also doing a motion capture stuff? I thought they need a gymnast to do that...
    If the actor can do it, so much the better. She won't do all of the stunt work, most likely. That will be given to her stuntwoman double. However, as much of her natural action that they can get and that she's willing to do, that is ideal. Sam Witwer in the Force Unleashed games and Nolan North in Uncharted did much of their mocap work, etc. Stunt work on a set like that is also far less dangerous and grueling than on a regular one, simply because the floor and everything they're flying against is padded and it's a controlled environment.

Oh, he doesn't look nerdy but he is nerd and proud!!! And that's why I love him!!!

Oh yeah I completely agree with you on where she tries to vamp up the American side to her accent on American interviews and tries to sound more English in English interviews. Imo, that is fake. She should just let her natural accent come through so she doesn't sound so forced.
    I agree with you! She puts up a more English or American accent according to whichever interviews she's doing. As a result she doesn't sound natural, but rather forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivana KC View Post
    She could just be doing the motion capture of cutscenes and Lara's moves during gameplay could be hand animated (or whatever it's called) or Lara just doesn't have gymnast moves anymore...
    signature image

More episodes please, this was an awesome treat. Really want to see more motion capture stuff it's pretty cool or perhaps bloopers? Booth scenes if there is any for recording voice, unless everything is just done in the motion capture area MAGIC HAPPENS!

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    But I think it was a bit of a spoiler that they showed the man getting killed xD
    I had already seen it before! I think it was on that GT.TV episode.
    signature image

i have to admit, she did sound more british then in previous interviews i have seen so far. if she keeps it up that way, then we will hardly hear anything american in the final product

very interesting stuff, looking forward to part 2. does any one know how many episodes will come?
    signature image

oh ! this was so unexpected . the video was awesome , THANK YOU
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    If the actor can do it, so much the better. She won't do all of the stunt work, most likely. That will be given to her stuntwoman double. However, as much of her natural action that they can get and that she's willing to do, that is ideal. Sam Witwer in the Force Unleashed games and Nolan North in Uncharted did much of their mocap work, etc. Stunt work on a set like that is also far less dangerous and grueling than on a regular one, simply because the floor and everything they're flying against is padded and it's a controlled environment.
    When I think about it, maybe it is better that a regular actress does a motion capture. If a gymnast would do that, Lara wouldn't look so inexperienced, right?

Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    She could just be doing the motion capture of cutscenes and Lara's moves during gameplay could be hand animated (or whatever it's called) or Lara just doesn't have gymnast moves anymore...
    I hope that's not the case. I was hoping to see Lara doing at least some of her gymnastic moves.

sweet, saw the one for geoff done for ME3 that was pretty darn good....shame how me3 ended though, anyways derailing aside, this shall be awesome
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

Yeah, I saw the thread title and was surprised, then relieved that it was one of Geoff's series. I loved his ME3 one (despite the game - another rant for another day), so am looking forward to the one for this even more!

Good job Crystal for getting them involved!

Tim

Perhaps they grew tired over Keeley having to fly to the studio everytime they needed a piece of voicework so they've picked an English-bron actress who lives in California.

I guess it's a pity that new Lara doesn't speak with a genuine Anglo-Saxon voice anymore, but I actually can't hear the difference. I guess not being English and unable to hear all the subtleties is a boon in this case...

I can't say I'm wild about this video by the way, I feel like I've seen this kind of behind the scenes stuff and scripted interviews a hundred times already. But march is still far ahead - they need something to keep us entertained...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast