Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy 7 being re-released

chip5541 is offline Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander

Final Fantasy 7 being re-released

For the PC with achievments. I can't tell ya how totally stoked I am just for the release itself.

http://i.joystiq.com/2012/07/04/fina...lusive-to-squ/

meh

Wake me when Square finally makes a re-make, which is what I and the rest of the world have been waiting for since sliced bread.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Way to kill the thrill

you are right, though. An updated remake would make me a happy panda.

Square is milking this series WAY too much. And especially this game. I mean, I love that game, but they need to learn when to stop.

Pishposh.

Any smart company will try to revenue as much from their products as possible. Square is nothing exceptional in that

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

But it's important to know when to stop. And of course, we'll never see another Chrono game, but I actually think that might be for the best now. I wish so much that they'd focus on a new Einhander. I guess that didn't sell well though...

Are you upset with all the countless Mario games as well then?

It's the 'exclusive to Square's online store' bit that puts me off. First time I even knew they HAD a store!

If Square are really going to release this for PC, they need to put it where PC gamers can actually find it.

Personally, I skipped 7 because I truly hate the anime look they went for with the art style. There ARE some great anime styles, but that isn't one of them.

I'd love a remake of 8, though. Preferably using 12's system, as it's still by far the best FF system. Me being me, I'd probably get it just for the enhanced ballroom scene. The original is STILL jaw-droppingly awesome and my all time favourite cut scene. An improved version would be great
    signature image

A shame you decided to skip 7 because of the style. That game is by far the best one in the entire series. The story is pure epicness.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    A shame you decided to skip 7 because of the style. That game is by far the best one in the entire series. The story is pure epicness.
    I've often heard that said, Driber, yes.

There always seems to be a bit of a clash amongst FF fans on whether 7 or 8 is the best in series, and both have huge fan bases - 7 despite the art, 8 despite the draw system!

But while I can and do appreciate many different types of art style, that used for FF7 is one I just viscerally hate. Couldn't even say why. It just hits all the wrong buttons for me.
    signature image

The art was incredible in FF7. It really blew my mind to see the use of photo realistic background seamlessly incorporated with gameplay, and even more impressive - FMV together with gameplay.

Keeping in mind the limited graphic capabilities of the PS1, FF7 was truly a work of art.

FF8 was a great game as well, but not nearly as EPIC as 7. I'm pretty sure the fanbase of 7 is larger than the one from 8.

I don't really get your hiccups with the anime in 7, since FF has revolved around anime since the very first installment, so all I can say is: just try it yourself. I don't think you'll be disappointed

FF8 had the most epic intro and best card game. The Battle system was good but I found FF7 had better characters, story and Battle system. IMO.

FMV with game overlay.. You should have played M.A.C.H. III In the arcades or Microcosm on the Commodore Amiga.

Driber,

Graphics on FF8 blew me away totally when the game was first released. Never seen anything even close to it at that time.

The ballroom scene is also the best intro for a love interest in any game I've ever played - and I do mean IS. It's never been surpassed, for me. It remains beautiful, too, and an absolute master class in how to tell a story through body language and facial expression alone. It remains my all time favourite cut scene for that reason.

7... I've always had an aversion to certain art styles. Can't explain it at all. They just rub me the wrong way. As for the FF series being 'always' Anime based, sure, but until very recently I have been a PC only gamer (And only a friend of mine giving me his old PS2 changed that) so I haven't actually played most of the series. It's not just 7 I missed. While 8 and 10 (Both of which are also very Anime in style) are games I enjoy a great deal, it's a very different style of Anime to 7.

If there's a proper disk release of the new improved 7 with reasonable DRM I may give it a try, considering how loved it is, but that seems rather unlikely, unfortunately.
    signature image

The graphics of FF7 and FF8 are not that different apart from the FMV's. And we all know it's not the FMV's that make a game. Far from it.

Like Chip said, story and battle system were superior in 7. Those are the core elements which make up a FF game and combined heavily outweigh all other elements.

The only thing that sets FF8 apart from FF7 are the romances IMO. There were romances in 7, but not as heavily focused as in 8.

I didn't care much for the card game in 8. Nor in any other FF game for that matter - I think they are quite useless unless you're looking to kill some time.

Hmmm, maybe you should save your money and skip 7. Sounds like you're already strongly opinionated even before playing it. I don't think you're going to like it with a closed mind like that

Having just looked on YouTube for FF7 game play videos, I can most definitely say that your idea of 'not that different' is completely different to mine, Driber! The art style differences between 7 & 8 are immense, IMO.

And I still don't like 7's. Too weird looking, and not in a good way, IMO.

Unless the new version has totally different character models, I most likely will avoid it, yes.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    Having just looked on YouTube for FF7 game play videos, I can most definitely say that your idea of 'not that different' is completely different to mine, Driber! The art style differences between 7 & 8 are immense, IMO.
    Never said the art styles are similar. We were talking about graphics, not art style.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    I most likely will avoid it, yes.
    Probably best, yeah. But still a damn shame, dude. The story is brilliant. You of all people should know the importance of that

Are you upset with all the countless Mario games as well then?
    The difference is that FF7 had a certain story, while Mario really doesn't. It's important to know when to leave a story be. I really don't see why FF7 needs a sequel. It ended fine. Chrono is far superior anyway.
    Really, as the years go by, I'm less impressed with Final Fantasy. I'm not saying it's bad, but Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Lunar, and especially Planescape: Torment are far better games as far as I'm concerned (OK, so Torment's battle system could have been better, but it's got the best story to ever appear in any game EVER).
    I really liked the gameplay in Final Fantasy Tactics though. Once I figured out what the hell I was doing that is, largely thanks to my brother explaining how it all works. I also really liked Freya in Final Fantasy 9, though the sappy romance between Zidane and Garnet was just more typical Final Fantasy romance. Alex and Luna in Lunar though, now THAT'S an RPG romance.
    And The Nameless One in Planespace: Torment might just be the best video game character ever. And his enemy was just so perfect for him too! I love that game. But of course, Planespace is dead....

Planescape Torment may not be dead. I still have Lunar Silver Story with booklet and cloth map. That was a great game. I liked all the Final Fantasy series as a whole and while I wish Laguna played a bigger role in the game, I still like FF8.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulgbrtzchllha View Post
    The difference is that FF7 had a certain story, while Mario really doesn't.
    Point taken. Though I was actually referring to the series and not 7 in particular

Quote Originally Posted by Zulgbrtzchllha View Post
    It's important to know when to leave a story be. I really don't see why FF7 needs a sequel. It ended fine.
    I guess it's the same story with old skool Star Wars fans not liking the newer movies.

The answer is pretty simply, however - just don't watch/play it.

The only game from the FF7 universe I've played is FF7 itself. I'm not really enticed to play any sequels or prequels or whatever SE made.

Yet at the same time it's not really any skin off my back, even if they make 10 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by chip5541 View Post
    Planescape Torment may not be dead. I still have Lunar Silver Story with booklet and cloth map. That was a great game. I liked all the Final Fantasy series as a whole and while I wish Laguna played a bigger role in the game, I still like FF8.
    Laguna was basically a watered down version of Sephiroth

Yeah, I never saw that movie or anything, I just really don't like the idea of hearing voices put to the characters. One of the reasons I absolutely avoid Kindom Hearts. And you mentioned the Final Fantasy series. I mean, it's like they're making sequels to all of them now. Wasn't there a sequel to FF4 at least? Of course, I never did finish FF4.... or FF5, but that game sucked, and I couldn't beat the final boss of FF6, and didn't finish that...

Chip-
    I almost beat Lunar 2 twice, but I think I lent my memory card to someone and they lost it the first time, and the second time the data just went away or something. Each time I made it to the final boss. I mean, I love that game, but the thought of going through another 50 hours to get there... And the final boss is SO HARD!!! I admit, I ended up just watching the ending on YouTube. I'm so ashamed.

Never said the art styles are similar. We were talking about graphics, not art style.
    Ah. I think we have a misunderstanding. When I say 'what it looks like graphically' I don't mean 'how many pixels per square inch' or whatever. I mean 'what it LOOKS like' which I suspect you think of as 'art style'.

Probably best, yeah. But still a damn shame, dude. The story is brilliant. You of all people should know the importance of that
    Well, I'm not sure I'm THAT good a writer, though I do appreciate the compliment!

Story is indeed very important to me. But in a computer game it isn't the ONLY thing. It's rare for an art style to put me off, but when it does it's pretty near absolute.

Unfortunate, but such is life, I guess.

Planescape: Torment are far better games as far as I'm concerned (OK, so Torment's battle system could have been better, but it's got the best story to ever appear in any game EVER).
    Best CRPG ever made, bar none. Graphics are now dated and the combat system is run off a system designed for tabletop RPGs (AD&D), so not all that great for computers, but in terms of story and characterisation it remains utterly unparalleled even today. I have finished PS:T over a dozen times, and each time I play it I find something new to love.

Even Dragon Age: Origins, easily the best party based CRPG of recent years, doesn't run it remotely close for story.
    signature image

Oh good, I thought maybe I was coming off too negative, but I'm glad that everyone handled it calmly. My complaints about Final Fantasy really just stem from the fact that I think that Square has some awesome game series that just go ignored (like I already mentioned, Chrono and Einhander, of course, Einhander wasn't a series). It's strange, as I get older, the stories in the Final Fantasy games just don't appeal to me as much. I'm not saying it's a bad series, they're actually a lot of fun, but for some reason, they just don't appeal to me quite like they used to.
    And I really wasn't expecting to talk to other people who have played Torment in this topic. I wish so much that there would be another Planescape game. Just imagine Sigil with today's graphics and everything. It could be amazing. So much potential in that setting.
    Has anyone else here played Final Fantasy Tactics? That game is a lot of fun once you learn just how to play it right.

You can drive a fleet of trucks through the plot holes in a lot of the FF stories/worlds. I've always liked them for the characters and the characterisation more than anything else. They may not make a whole lot of sense, but they have a tremendous amount of style, too.

The fact that their totally non-fortified cities would be overwhelmed in seconds by the local monster populations and other such things, I simply choose to ignore!

PS:T rules all, but a new version with, say, Witcher 2 level graphics would be beyond awesome. Problem is any new story would be compared to the original, and that won't end well.

Even Chris Avellone himself only managed to capture the lightning in the bottle that once. Perhaps not surprising, given the reputed two MILLION lines of dialogue the game has.

I know there is a team dedicated to remaking Baldur's Gate 2 in the Dragon Age engine. They are actually doing very well, so far. I'm not sure anyone would dare try that with PS:T, though. The prospect would be SO daunting!
    signature image

too bad FFVII is region locked... tried to buy it but it tells me my country is unsupported... :/

Ha ha. Played 'Crystal Chronicles' on gamepube and I was like "Pfft.". I know though 13 etc are probably good but it's like an elementary ladder. So you know why even play any of them? They used you like a gerbil-gamer! He he!
    XZX WAS HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast