Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official Re-playability thread | what to do after completing the main story?

Official Re-playability thread | what to do after completing the main story?

Edit by Driber: This is now the official re-playability thread. Discuss / speculate what to do after beating the main story

-----
    Original Post:

Do you all think that the single player will be a one time play through, or something you can play over and over again. If not, do you think a challenge mode, cooperative mode, or multiplayer mode should be added to create a reason to keep playing after you finish the single player?

Tomb Raider Underworld didn't have any replay value except the stupid treasure hunt. The previous Tomb Raider games had unlockables when you found find certain items. I liked unlocking outfits. I felt happy with myself in Tomb Raider Legend when I got gold and unlocked the classic Tomb Raider outfit but it was in black and white. Sorry I know people have achieved better but it's better for me.

I am hoping they have something to use in the next game but I don't think I'll be disappointed if they don't. The game's going to be awesome anyway.
    signature image

well, according to karl, we can explore the island. so yes, there will be replay value.
    he also said that we have to return back to the same places, because lara is not bale to reach them yet due lack of experience and equipment. but what we can find, this he dint say at all. unlock clothing might be an option but nothing official has been said.
    signature image

Good question, AssassinFrog. And the honest answer is... no-one knows yet. Well, I guess CD do, but not us fans!

Hopefully we'll know fairly soon, though
    signature image

I believe that in one of the podcasts, Karl and/or Brian mentioned collectibles and they were also saying that gamers who are completionists will have a lot to do.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

chip5541 is offline Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    Someone did not read my article and that makes me a sad panda.

What would an exploring game be without the collection of hidden items? Well, we have that too from ancient artifacts to finding and shooting hidden skulls. This should keep the gamers that want to explore every nook and cranny very happy.

'Replayability' is 'how much will I want to play the game again?' NOT 'is there a ton of stuff to collect?'

Obviously, how replayable any game is will always vary by who you ask, but the usual measure is how much can be done differently in separate playthroughs.

For a completely linear game with only a single approach to each challenge, the 'replay value' is thus usually considered close to zero, because your experience will always be the same every time you play through. Most Adventure Games (Think Broken Sword, etc) come into this category.

TR3 has high replayability, for example, because you can take several different routes through each area, and take the areas themselves in a different order each time; Legend is replayable because it has additional modes - Time Trials and the like - so that the challenge is different depending on what you are doing.

Just finding pick ups of whatever type does not really add much to replayability unless they unlock things which can make a significant difference to your experience in playing the game (Legend, again).
    signature image

I like time trials in legend and i would love to play these games over and over again, i do like to fine secret rooms + finding treasures BUT no matter what this game gonna be briliant!

To me what's important is having a reward worth completing extra exploration for and when it comes to TR that has to be unlockable outfits. Legend gave you tons of time trials and coloured secrets and so you could play it over and over. Underworld just didn't give enough worthwhile rewards nd treasure hunt mode was so slow in pace.

I could play games over and over if there is some reason to do that.
    signature image

I hated the time trials... Replay value to me is being able to start the game again after completing it and doing the complete opposite to what I did the first time. Which if CD are true to their word then there shall be lots for me to do.
    signature image

I think it'd be super cool if when she gets off that island, we can go into 'Croft Manor' because she's off the island Plus it'd be cool to train her in a way. As for replay-ability, i'd like that. I suppose that's what Underworld lacked, the option to replay. Plus, the island is gorgeous and if we can replay we can probably explore deeper in it

check out this article for the "replay value" subect, I think Karl explains it really well here and there shouldn't be any misunderstandings anymore, and I think they've done it brilliantly And he also explains a bit about that "rape" people got worked about And here's another article of a guy who played the demo, and is speaking about how you can just wander about in that forest where you kill the deer, he was chasing a pair of rabbits, goddamit, that's so cool
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

interesting stuff. thanks for sharing
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    I believe that in one of the podcasts, Karl and/or Brian mentioned collectibles and they were also saying that gamers who are completionists will have a lot to do.
    I hope so. It's like with the game Just Cause 2 I was still playing twice as long after I finnished the main story. There has to be more to do and I hope Time trials and outfits return even if their place on an island seems daft.

Mhm i would like to replay certain areas Or have a new game option. But as long as it isnt the load thing like underworld and more like legend. Oh and hopefully croft manor is unlockable at the end lf the game or at least the "Croft Cave"

(click image to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by gitb90 View Post
    I think it'd be super cool if when she gets off that island, we can go into 'Croft Manor' because she's off the island Plus it'd be cool to train her in a way. As for replay-ability, i'd like that. I suppose that's what Underworld lacked, the option to replay. Plus, the island is gorgeous and if we can replay we can probably explore deeper in it

Yessss! I also hated the Time Trials, but loved the Manor.

What would also be super-cool is if certain things were only findable or visible in hubs at certain times - for example, something that glowed in teh dark (night hub) or something that was exposed by rain (weather system).

I hope there's some replay value. Maybe you unlock an outfit or something you can use in the next playthrough or a weapon you can use next time.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by nevillet View Post
    Yessss! I also hated the Time Trials, but loved the Manor.

What would also be super-cool is if certain things were only findable or visible in hubs at certain times - for example, something that glowed in teh dark (night hub) or something that was exposed by rain (weather system).

I like that idea. I had mentioned something earlier like puzzles not opening up until certain times of the day like you solve a puzzle and it may not open a door into a cave until the sun hits it when it's rising or setting. I really like your idea with the weather system.
    signature image

Indeed, one of the things I loved about games like Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and even DarkStar One: Broken Alliance was the ability to continue playing the game even after you'd beaten the main scenario. Still plenty of area to explore, plenty of quests/missions to beat, and even things to find...especially things that if you mark their location, and then try to get to them early in your next full playthrough, might help your second playthrough considerably (like an advanced weapon, or some kind of buff that makes things easier.) Of course, getting to such boons might be a bit of a challenge in itself, because such things might be located in areas where higher level enemies await.

Now, I realize it would be completely out of context for this TR, but, another thing I liked about games with replayability (Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance) was being able to start the next game with the weapons and gear you'd accumulated from the previous play through if you so wished. Although in the case of MGS4, you didn't reacquire those weapons until you'd had an encounter with a certain key ally.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

I think we're going to also probably get DLC, as we know from the GameStop pre-order bonus with the DLC tomb exploration it has, which will allow more areas to explore. Now, whether that's going to offer more story content coming, or not, remains to be seen.

Hopefully, the main story will be enough to want to play through again and again, too. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    I think we're going to also probably get DLC, as we know from the GameStop pre-order bonus with the DLC tomb exploration it has, which will allow more areas to explore. Now, whether that's going to offer more story content coming, or not, remains to be seen.

Hopefully, the main story will be enough to want to play through again and again, too. We shall see.
    I LOVE DLC... as long as it is not exclusive. I downloaded all the GoL content and loved it, but I'm still absolutely steaming about the Underworld DLC. Xbox only? And core elements of the story? Come on! I had top YouTube it to see what happened!

If DLC absolutely MUST be exclusive (as is often the case in Marketing deals), then I'm hoping CD will negotiate hard for Timed Exclusive, so everyone gets it eventually. It's only fair.
    ᴙє₳Ŀi₮ɣ is for people who can't handle ΩӍß Ɍ∆¡Ðєʁ.

Yeah, Micro$haft has a tendency to entice (with stupid amounts of cash, or whatever chotchky's they might offer) game developers to forsake their integrity to their fans, especially those who've played Lara on the PlayStation from the beginning.

SO, devs, yes, I am talking to YOU Crystal Dynamics! I know you just recently picked up the franchise, but, are you going to show integrity and fairness to all the fans/players who shell out their hard earned money for your product, or are you going to sell out to M$ and give them all the new content first like CAPCOM did with Resident Evil 6, and force PlayStation players to wait several weeks?

As for story based DLC, I certainly don't mind it, as long as the story that came on the disc is complete. If the DLC is its own story, or perhaps an alternate take on the original, I don't mind. But if the main game is incomplete, and can only be concluded with DLC, well, then I have a problem with that.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    Yeah, Micro$haft has a tendency to entice (with stupid amounts of cash, or whatever chotchky's they might offer) game developers to forsake their integrity to their fans, especially those who've played Lara on the PlayStation from the beginning.

SO, devs, yes, I am talking to YOU Crystal Dynamics! I know you just recently picked up the franchise, but, are you going to show integrity and fairness to all the fans/players who shell out their hard earned money for your product, or are you going to sell out to M$ and give them all the new content first like CAPCOM did with Resident Evil 6, and force PlayStation players to wait several weeks?

As for story based DLC, I certainly don't mind it, as long as the story that came on the disc is complete. If the DLC is its own story, or perhaps an alternate take on the original, I don't mind. But if the main game is incomplete, and can only be concluded with DLC, well, then I have a problem with that.
    you're right but they already said that the complete story will come with the base game
    But i don't know how much i should believe them...

most companies are pretty cunning. crapcom is one of them.
    DLC is all good and fine and i dont mind them, but if they charge a lot of money for it, then i have a problem with it.
    i certainly enjoyed the DLCs for ME2. shadowbroker DLC is by far the best one and im not regretting a single cent i have spend on the ME2 DLCs. als the latest DLC for ME3 was pretty good as well and was clarifying more of the story.
    even the DLCs made for deus ex HR are pretty good and you want to play it again and again to make different choices.

if TR can offer this kind of DLC, so as areas to explore, i will be really happy about it. but im certainly looking forward to see a manor DLC. but not just for training, i want it to be for exploring and solving puzzles. no shooting, no enemies, nothing. just the way as we know from legend and anni.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    Well, six years, going on seven, actually. Legend, Anniversary, Guardian of Light, and Underworld were all made by CD, and now they're onto their fifth game in this franchise. I'd say they know who pays their bills in the fans here and all over the world for Tomb Raider. It's the Publisher/Distributor that winds up making the deals for who gets what DLC. I have a feeling that those at CD did not wish to alienate anyone and were they not bound by the contract they are to SE/Eidos, I doubt they'd have chosen to divvy that DLC exclusive that way. Whatever the reason, it happened. I would hope no-one is going to go down that path again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast