Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider films: Yay or nay?

Tomb Raider films: Yay or nay?

The first Tomb Raider was, until very recently, the biggest grossing movie based on a videogame and there's little denying that Angelina Jolie was perfect casting for Lara... so much that is her best known role to date. However I always found the Macguffins somewhat weak and/or underused. It has some decent action sequences and a bit of honest-to-god "Tomb Raiding", but a high quocient of cheese brings it way down (punching a shark anyone?) and a lack of enthusiasm and adventuring spirit that is present in the games, the Indy saga or even the Mummy trilogy makes it fall short of its goals.
    I still enjoy them... They carry a certain nostalgia because both of them were released in high points of my teenage years and were great times at the movies with the friends, and also because seeing that videogame being so faithfully (at least enough) translated into the big screen with such high production was a thrill. So yeah, I give them both a solid *** out *, maybe towards ***1/2.

Although they weren't exactly well recieved, they had suprisingly good reviews from people Roger Ebert (who is a staunch opposer of games as art),
    "Cradle of Life" is usually considered an underrated sequel, got mostly positive reviews (but not above ***) here in Europe, and it has some fans since in Amazon they have close to each.

So what say you Tomb Raider fans?

I enjoyed the first one to an extent, the second I didn't, there was way to much inner city action.
    signature image

Yeah that's true. Cradle of Life has a bit too much of a urban setting... but we got to see a sunken greek tomb, a terracota tomb, a "haunted" forest and a reality warp tomb, so not too shabby...

They were good films, they weren't that special.

both are ok movies. not great, but good to watch. at least it was more or less related to the games. if uwe boll would have made them, he would have %ç&+ them up really badly.
    signature image

I think I only saw 1 Tomb Raider movie...
    I'm excited for the new TR movie though...especially if it's like the new game

signature image

I like the movie! I saw the first movie when I was at school. I remember my feelings when I went out of the cinema theater with my parents. I was excited ! My first thought when I saw Angelina as Lara was : "She is 100% Lara". Now, I think the same. And then when the second movie was released I visited cinema theater two times. Because I liked it!

Hahahahahaha, Uwe Boll... *wipes tear* Fortunately he hasn't picked up any videogame franchise that I REALLY love so no biggie... If he was to pick a Resident Evil (which have bad ones, but not Uwe Boll bad), Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Metal Gear, Mass Effect, Halo, Gears of War, God of War and/or Bioshock; then I would be REALLY pissed.

They were ok productions, but not great movies. I liked how their touched touched the game, which at the same time shows their weakness, without the game they'd have no reason to exist.

The new game has a more cinematographic look then all others, lighting, dirt, focus and other lens-aberrations as well as cut-scenes appear to make the game more akin of a movie. Creating a movie with the same 'a survivor is born' story would conflict with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Altheron View Post
    Hahahahahaha, Uwe Boll... *wipes tear* Fortunately he hasn't picked up any videogame franchise that I REALLY love so no biggie... If he was to pick a Resident Evil (which have bad ones, but not Uwe Boll bad), Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Metal Gear, Mass Effect, Halo, Gears of War, God of War and/or Bioshock; then I would be REALLY pissed.
    that would be really a disaster. worst director ever. resident evil movies are already bad, but if boll would touch it, he sure would find a way to make them crappier then they are already.

so far the only movies based on game that are watchable and close to the game concept, are tomb raider and hitman.
    the rest, no even close. doom was a utter disaster.
    signature image

No-one touch ma favorite series!
    Or I'll send this guy to find you:

I agree that part 2 and 4 weren't that good. Part 1 has a special place in my hearth though <3

The only thing I liked about the first TR movie was the first few minutes....Lara is actually wearing shorts! But that drops out for the rest of the movie, and apparently is non-evident in the second.

Ms. (I'm too artsy fartsy to wear short shorts) Jolie just isn't Lara Croft to me.

I didn't even waste my money to go see or buy the second movie.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by LARALOVERnr.1 View Post
    No-one touch ma favorite series!
    Or I'll send this guy to find you:

I agree that part 2 and 4 weren't that good. Part 1 has a special place in my hearth though <3
    All of the Resident Evil films are amazing in my eyes, I can't wait for Retribution!

Back on topic, I don't see how making a film to do hand in hand with the new game would work, for starters you'd at least expect film Lara to look like game Lara and I don't think that trying to script Lara's 'first' adventure in a 90 minute film is a good idea.
    signature image

BTW, I love the Resident Evil movie series, and eagerly await the next installment.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the first RE CGI movie with Claire and Leon, and eagerly await the second one.

IMO Tomb Raider completely misses the mark. It's all about Angelina Jolie. I couldn't even watch the 2nd one through.

Resident Evil is quite the same as in that it isn't anything like the games, but I think that's good. I don't like basic horror movies and the game characters aren't that cool. I much prefer how the movies have a different take on the series. Seeing how actiony the game series has gotten I wish we got to play as Alice and just slice and blast the zombies to pieces.

I think the first movie was better and much more TR-like than the second Not really excited about the new one, I mean, I'm gonna watch it, but the game is what I can't wait for XD
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

I actually enjoyed the second Resident Evil better than the subsequent ones, mainy because it had Jill Valentine, Nemesis and it was set in Raccoon City. I am looking forward to the second CGI RE movie (Damnation I think it's called) and Retribution anyways.
    Doom had a LOT of potential, but they blew it big time. First by not featuring a literal hell, instead they made Resident Evil in Space. Second, when a supposedly horror movie about hellsih abominations ends in a super-powered fistfight between the two leads... well there's something really wrong with it.

Now since there is a reboot coming for Tomb Raider, more in line with TR9 (that means a younger Lara), who should play her? Olivia Wilde and Megan Fox were thrown around a bit but they were only rumours (only Wilde comes nearly close to Lara). Who do you reckon should play her?

we already had a discussion about who would be the best actress in this thread: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=116971

Oh... thanks. Did not know that. Gonna take a look then!

Although i am Lara mad, the movies didnt do much for me. Sure they were good, but it was lack of something still. I think they should create a 3D animation of her.
    I'm a little bored of Angelina being Lara, she done well, but i think it would be interesting to see a new actress.
    This is just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post
    that would be really a disaster. worst director ever. resident evil movies are already bad, but if boll would touch it, he sure would find a way to make them crappier then they are already.
    Sorry to attack you, but you better run! Fast! RE movies are one of the best game-based movies I've ever seen! You can't complain, you just can't! Milla Jovovich was perfect, especially in RE Afterlife! Of course, it's a matter of opinion, but I see most of guys here would agree with me. No hard feelings, okay?

Now, back on topic. I think Angelina was excellent as Lara Croft. She had that something I liked. She is too old to be Lara Croft now, but TR movies have special place in my childhood/life. I don't think I'll like any new TR movie because there are no actresses that could portray Lara the way I want. Of course I would watch it, but just because of pure curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivana KC View Post
    Sorry to attack you, but you better run! Fast! RE movies are one of the best game-based movies I've ever seen! You can't complain, you just can't! Milla Jovovich was perfect, especially in RE Afterlife! Of course, it's a matter of opinion, but I see most of guys here would agree with me. No hard feelings, okay?
    lol. non taken. and im certainly not complaining about the sexy jovovich, hell no.
    but the movies are still bad in my view. too much action hardly any horror. only because it has umbrella, t virus, some characters from the games, doesnt make it a good RE movie. and i know im not the only one who thinks like that either
    but again, its just my opinion. if you like it. good for you
    signature image

I've said before elsewhere that I did not like the first TR movie (I walked out of it 5 minutes into it in theaters), but over time that's changed. The first one, that is. I basically had to play all the old school TR's to... appreciate what the movie tried to do. Now that I've played them all a few times each, I catch the references made to the games in the first movie, and I think that's pretty cool. Acknowledgement of the source material, I mean. It's not a favorite of mine, but if I'm bored I can pop in the first one now and be entertained. Honestly couldn't pin it down as to what changed my opinion of it tho. It wasn't game references alone, tho. Maybe I just had to give it a few chances.

It's not 100% TR, but it's also not 50% crap either. It's got "Geez, what were they thinking?" moments, but also some cool ones.

I did read above tho that it was all about Angie, and I'll agree with that. She was a rising star coming into power back then.

I dig the RE flicks as well, but I think they really dropped the ball on "Afterlife". I can't help but think it was made just so Anderson could play w/ 3d cameras. I mean, I know who the big bloke wielding a big hammer is, but does anyone who hasn't played "RE5"? Probably not. And after his non-explaining entrance and overall handling in "Afterlife", they probably never will.

And the proof of that is 'Cradle Of Life'. I still don't care for that one. If I hadn't got a good deal on a two pack dvd, I'd never have bought it. Terrible movie.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

Absolutely the TR movies were all about Angelina, and little to nothing about Lara Croft.

As for the RE movies, they were deliberately made different from the games because if they were made exactly to the games, then we'd already know who lives and who dies.

By incorporating new characters and scenarios, at least a little suspense is left in the mix...and even though we do see some established game characters in the latter movies, there's still the "who's gonna buy it, and who's gonna live" factor.

Afterlife was written to be a bridge between Extinction and Retribution. Personally, Afterlife is my favourite. Extinction would have to have been the worst, I mean, who skips 4 years of a story and not even explain what happened!? Anyway...

I'm not sure that a third Tomb Raider film is such a good idea after all. If they were to take the Resident Evil approach and create a new character and base the film on that person and then have Lara feature in it, it might work better than having to script something entirely for Lara and then throw in some random people.
    signature image

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast