Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official E3 2012 Ambassador Program - Q&A Thread [ended]

Hahaha, lol, Karl must take long to reply all that XD

Thanks to all the ambassador to bring us their experience and answers

i guess i must be stupid or blind or both. but where are the answers to our questions??? are they coming later on?
    signature image

They are still coming - we're working on them!

Chip is busy transcribing the interview and I'm currently working on editing the video material and making it YT compatible

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

ok thanks for the reply for a moment i thought i missed out on them.
    signature image

Head's up!

The video of Chip's exclusive interview with questions from this thread is coming online within a few hours from now

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Here ya go, folks!

EF Community Interview with Karl Stewart @ E3 2012

FYI: The first question we unfortunately didn't get on tape. It was "What pros and cons that you considered at the initial stage of production did you cut out or limit versus where you've come considerable further in the game?"

OP updated.

Awesome interview!!! Thank you!!!
    signature image

Just to be clear - Chip did the interview, not me

So to our ambassador for his awesome job!

^Yes, I know! And he did a great job!!!
    signature image

nice job on the interview Chip, and thanks for asking my question

interesting interview. thanks for the upload.... and answering my question
    but still more i want to know. but i guess we can ask them for the next podcast.
    signature image

Thanks to Chip for taking the interview and Driber to upload it on YouTube.

I'm happy with the interview except one thing: Karl keeps dodging the aristocrat question. Is she or is she not an aristocrat? It's one of the biggest aspects of her character and if they've thrown that away because they don't want to make her look like a spoilt little rich kid then they really have to look at the history of the English aristocrats and not just their wealth.

EDIT: And Chip asked one of my questions! <3

I'd say it safe to assume at this point that she isn't. Or at least not in this game.

It's an interesting debate, though. Does Lara need to be an aristocrat?

Perhaps start a dedicated thread about it

chip5541 is offline Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    BTW, the first question I asked which did not get recorded was will there be a Commodore 64 version

chip5541 is offline Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander

Karl Stewart: Lara's jade necklace is not just for show. And no C64 version of TR9 :D

In case anyone missed it, here is our interview with Karl last week at E3.

EF Community Interview with Karl Stewart @ E3 2012

And here is the entire transcript (the first few sentences we unfortunately didn't get on tape).

Chip asks: Will there be a Commodore 64 version?

Karl Stewart: * chuckle * A Commodore 64 was one of my first computers. None is planned but I would love to do a version.

gsusfrk asks: What pros and cons that you considered at the initial stage of production did you cut out or limit versus where you've come considerable further in the game?

Karl Stewart: When looking at the origin we actually stayed very close to the Lara Croft we have. We had from previous Legend universe and Underworld's, in the pros and cons where it we were taking it from a game that was predominant about puzzles into this survival based. Wanting to get to know the character, laying new foundationsand we realized very quickly that we needed to move away from the Lara that we had of yesteryear and move into this new space because we couldn't portray and we couldn’t bring the same level of depth, grounding of a character by using who we had and that was a hard one. That was a big decision to make for us because after 15 years of Lara kind of evolving along that same stream, to kind of break away and say right now that, as our history book says, our Lara Croft of yesteryear but this is a new vision. You know the pros and cons where we were losing something that was identifiable, that was ours and it became very iconic.
    What the pros were, we were to go into a space were we could now bring a new level of emotion that we never had before, so it was actually very hard. It was a tough decision and with that then the pros and cons came across into areas such as the rating. When we decided to go for that realistic approach of grounding a character, of bringing her on this zero to hero journey we also realized we couldn’t do that with kid gloves. We couldn’t just treat the sort of idea of survival with a T rating that you get to a situation where you know it naturally play out a particular way then you would have to tapper it off and make it feel like worked inside a T rating. We realized quickly that the cons were we could not deliver the experience, the pros were going into a M space would allow us to do that but then the cons were your going into an M space and you have to take a lot more things into consideration such as your audience when you come out with a game where it can and can't be shown what M means. A lot of people think that M means that it is just gratuitous violence and naughty language. To us, presenting an M rated game in the way in which we are, in that it's about bringing you closer to an experience and feel the realism.That took a lot of explanation as well. So it was a lot of pros and cons. Not just in the decision to move away from the older Lara Croft but also in the decision to re-imagine the game. What does that mean, it was a pretty big undertaking.

gsusfrk asks: Where there any “Ah Hah!” moments that you had?

Karl Stewart: Yeah, the bow. The bow was something that from the very first few concept sketches, we started putting the bow in and the then creative Director Tim Longo had started sort of casting the story and thinking about what the bow and really there was an Ah Hah! Moment when we started to see it on screen. To see Lara using this new piece of equipment. That she is always known to have her twin pistols, to all the sudden start firing this and for us to see it being used in a particular way. It was a real Ah Hah! Moment. It is one that we are very very proud and very happy that we got to continue it because bows were sexy. *laughs*

LadyRufina asks: Is Lara still an aristocrat? Does she have a similar background to the past games?

Karl Stewart: So one of the things we tried to do with this is... Two things.. One, veer away from the complexities from past Tomb Raiders so that you really feel like it's a day 1. She doesn’t come with too deep a back story or any baggage you feel will take you into a space where you start going “Oh, I remember the mansion” or “I remember blah blah blah”. What we are trying to do is keep certain elements of what made Lara Croft, Lara Croft and her history but also move it to a place where it's relevant for today. And again it's gets back to the Batman (please see Ambassador Group Q&A) idea. You looked at how Batman and his back story was portrayed in the earlier movies. You look at the Michael Keaton Batman, who he was then you move into this new Batman. You still see tenants of what makes his character unique but he is not portrayed in the exact same way. There are certain things about who he is that don’t have to meet Ra's al Ghul on Mongolian boarders and having to fight to become the person he is. They moved his character in a slightly different way but it still feels like its on the same vain, so for us we tried to look at Lara and make her feel like you still have familiarity with her. You still feel like yet I know a bit about her background as I play through the game but we are not going to use the literal sense of here she has all this money, She is from this lineage of family.To us right now you don't really need to have to have that along for the ride to experience the emotion we portray. So you will start to see certain things come through but what I will say, She right now is not the person she once was. She didn't pay to be on this journey, She didn't buy the ship, she didn't cast the crew. She just wants to be likeeverybody else. She wants to be accepted and she wants to be a part of the team and that's a Lara which we've never really seen before. We'll see her strengths play out but you have to start at a point where you feel she's grounded before you can take her to a place she becomes an identifiable strong character.

The Kramer asks: Can you tell something about secondary characters, apart from Conrad, and their involvement with Lara and the plot?.. without giving too much away.

Karl Stewart: Yeah, I think it is very important you come across and talk to these characters in game, understand their story and see 2 things. One, who they are, giving them weight and relevance. The other side is helping expand your knowledge of Lara because she will interact and talk to these in very different ways and as a result of that you get to see a side you haven't seen before. You get to realize that she can operate and talk in many different levels to different people. She knows who they are and their attributes and that's something we haven't seen before. An interesting one is Whitman. You know, Whitman is the, you know this adventurer and explorer who has done this for a long time. He's a seasoned pro but he's also, as you can see, become somewhat arrogant and Lara just doesn't have much time for him in a way, you know. She talks to him like, you know, get real. We don't want to become killers like these guys on the island, these scavengers and also when he's like... she says I need to get more salvage to make my pickaxe stronger, he is like “okay then”.You can see where that is going. You can see he is the type of person that is only in it for himself and as a result you will start to see how Lara's.. her interaction for instance when they are attacked she says “don't, you have a gun, don't put it down. What are you doing” and he is more interested in “take me to your leader. I want to talk to the head guy here”. She's like “your crazy” so as a result you start to see a side of Lara play out because of her interaction with these characters. Whitman is an exciting one. I want to do more with Whitman. I want to try to expand him a little bit and maybe before the game because he is somebody that has some very unique facets to his character. It is going to be fun playing him out a little bit more.

The Kramer asks: This Tomb Raider seems more serious and realistic than previous games.

Karl Stewart: Yeah, without a doubt. It certainly is.

The Kramer asks: Will this reflect in the storyline?

Karl Stewart:Yes, yeah, with out a doubt. You will feel the realism of the story line like you haven't in many other games and I think it is a product of its time. I think we're exposed to a lot more depth and plot and emotion in TV's and movies and videogames today than we have ever been and as a result people have an expectation when they pick up a piece of entertainment medium and engage with it. We know now that there is a varying degree of levels of expectation and a great analogy of this that videogames is like Las Vegas. You can go to Las Vegas and play many different games. Some games suit you more than others and certainly with Tomb Raider we're trying to bring very specific emotion and feeling to the player and I think it is something we are struggling very hard to achieve.

Chip asks: So no T-Rex moments?

Karl Stewart: No T-Rex moments.

Metalrocks asks: Why call it just “Tomb Raider”? Are you concerned about confusing it with the original?

Karl Stewart: No. I think we thought long and hard about this. A fresh entry point to the franchise means so much. It means more than just making sure that from a fans standpoint or from players that who played the original and hold it in high regard. You know that was 15 years ago. We know that was a product of its time and that was a very strong game when it came out. It stood the test of time for so long that now when we come out with this Tomb Raider, audiences have moved on. A very large percentage of the audience fully never played a Tomb Raider game so our concern was if you give it a tag line, at what point do you start to actually confuse the new players because they feel it's just another part of the series. So to us its the day 1. If your going to go with day 1, it's literally just that. I think on top of that Christopher Nolen stole Begins.He used it so we couldn't say Tomb Raider Begins *laugh* you know, but ultimately what we are trying to say is that this is the beginning. This is day 1 and that we want people to understand this is not a continuation of any. So it was a risk but I think it is paying off. People understand it.

Ivana KC asks: Now where into the gameplay portion. Is the new Tomb Raider going to be a completely open-world?

Karl Stewart:Uh, no. It is not a completely open world. We tried to make that clear. I think our communication of our hub system has maybe confused people a little bit and the best way for me to explain it is that we want the player to be able to explore, we want the player to be able to follow the story line. You want the player to be immersed into this sort of experience and to do that tell a linear story of sorts. You have to have the player go from A to B to C. To build an open world game would make it very hard to say you got to be at the beach to capture the next piece because you can do what you want. It's a very different game having Assassins Creed open world game vs Tomb Raider emotional story driven game. So for us we built these hub systems and the hub systems allow us to be able to enlarge spaces and give the player freedom to move around but also allow us to have connectors that take you to the next part of the game and have this larger hub system so you can explore. So we have these systems all over the island that are the major locations but you wouldn't be able to say I'm going to walk from here to the north of the island to the south of the island and east and west. You will still have to play along that narrative to make sure we keep you in the experience.

LadyRufina asks: Do Lara's weapons deteriorate over-time meaning that she will have to find/make new ones?

Karl Stewart: They actually get stronger because she has to salvage to improve them so what you are going to see is thatshe gets the very bare-bones, the very basics to be able to survive and then she will start to improve and upgrade those as we go through. I don't want to spoil it because that’s part of one of our next big communications is what that means to the player. She starts with very little as she gets more and more and gets stronger as she goes on.

TranceTrouble asks: Without giving too much away, will there be and vehicles on the island for Lara to use?

Karl Stewart: Yeah, no there’s no, unfortunately there is no vehicles. By chance in the trailer you saw that the helicopter. That's pretty much the only moving thing, only moving vehicle on the islands. Even the plane that we showed in the trailer, the plane that came in that looks like it crashed. Not much moves.

Chip: So she's going to be hoofing it?

Karl:*laughs* yeah.

Shaikh asks: Is Lara's carrying capacity limited?

Karl Stewart: No, she carries a lot. You'll see some very umm very big scenes play out that will bring you a side of Lara that you've never expected and I have to be careful because it is probably one of the most iconic moments is when you see how she cares for something. That is a big deal to us because that shows something. That shows something that we've never seen in her before. It's very important.

Driber asks: Does the Jade necklace play a role in the story or is it just for show?

Karl Stewart: This jade necklace is something we toyed around with quite a lot is to try and figure out how it played a part and it does play a part. It's not an integral part of the story but it has some symbolic value that you will see start to play through so we've had it in and out of in render out render. It's notan asset or an element that you will feel “Oh my god. I needed to know how she got that” but certainly there is a story behind it and we will flesh it out.

great interview Chip

Great job!!!
    "Aha!" - Lara Croft (1996).........."Arrrghhhh!" (2016)
    signature image

cool to have it in writing. at times it a bit hard to understand everything clearly what he was saying or what the questions were.
    signature image

Jade necklace hmm she didn't have that in the new render pic or in Turning Point Trailer , but she has it in Gameplay Videos ... well , i wonder why i didn't notice it

Great interview and awesome Questions , Thanks Everyone
    signature image

The way Karl answered the question on no subtitle was a disaster. Sure the original was 15 years ago but it's still one of the best games ever made. The fact that there ever was TR in the first place was because of Toby, Eidos and Core and I really wish he would start giving them the respect they deserve rather than being dismisive. Us long term fans may be few in number but we are very passionate about TR and vocal too.

Thanks for asking 2 of my questions, Chip

Thanks for providing the transcript, Chip!
    signature image

Thanks for giving us so much information chip. I love the range of topics you got to cover and think it was well conducted.

I am kind of inclined to agree with Flint on the long term fans thing. There are certainly enough of us (not just a few) out there still to have an impact and there's Xbox live and PSN are bringing the originals to a new generation and it's great that people get to experience that. There are so many of us that really love the original game and by implying this 'who cares about the few fans who like it?' or 'who cares about a game from 15 years ago?' attitude Karl is risking making haters and isn't selling the game at all well to our side of the fanbase.
    Andy64 - The TR traditionalist maverick

Don't keep me (even more) in suspense. D: asbdiurvapirfv
    and i believe the pendant may be related to the Koropepe.. it would fit perfectly
    http://hiropon056.deviantart.com/ Do it like a Dudette! signature image

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast