Thread: Building a gaming PC

Building a gaming PC

Building a gaming PC

I think I'm about done with consoles. I would like to build my own future proof gaming PC. However... I'm a total ferkin' noob when it comes to this kind of stuff; I lack the technical skills and general know-how. So I've spent a couple of days roaming the net looking for info and help; I bumped into a bunch of great Youtube channels ('newegg' and 'motherboardsorg') that will surely help me out later on. Meanwhile, I've made a list of all parts I need. Is there someone here that knows this stuff inside out? I've got a couple of questions concerning compatibility and other issues.
    "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

Well I can't admit to knowing that much, but best of luck finding a pc you like!
    "No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

Thanks, Brack! Actually, I think my questions are pretty basic so maybe you can help me out
    1. I think I'm gonna go with an Asus MAXIMUS V GENE Z77 motherboard. Though I have yet to decide what kind of CPU: Intel i5 or i7. But... does it really matter?
    2. I'm planning to get the new GTX 670 graphics card. In the future however, I would like to make use of the SLI configuration. What kind of power supply should I be getting, just to be safe & prepared?
    3. A transparant case by Sunbeamtech caught my eye. The thing is, it's in the shape of a cube. Apparently those can be hard to build. Still, I'd like to try... Any particular (dis)advantages I need to be aware of?
    4. There's no 4 so let's move on to 5.
    5. I'd like to use my wired xbox 360 controller on PC as well. Is there controller support for most games and does it function properly?

More noob questions will follow...

Of those, I can only really comment on 3 and 5.

3. One thing you need to have a good look at is the air flow of the case. Bad airflow can make your pc hotter than it should be. Also a large concern is dust. If the computer is hard to assemble, it will also be hard to clean the dust out of which is something you definitely should be doing, so keep in mind that the difficult assembly isn't something you just have to deal with once.

5. Most games support it, and yeah, it functions well in most cases. Even if it doesn't specifically support 360 controllers, most games have generic gamepad support. Games that don't have gamepad support are usually games that wouldn't benefit from it, like an rts or less actiony rpgs.

Everything else is too specific for me to have any advice that wouldn't just be copy-pasted from somewhere else.
    "No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

Regarding the case, that obviously makes sense. And since I live in an attic, I wouldn't want to risk overheating the thing... Although big fans and regular blasts from a compressed air cleaner should do the trick?
    By the way, here's a vid of the case I mentioned.

EDIT:

6. Concerning RAM, is 16GB overkill? These were my first choice...

16 Gigs should be more than enough for what you need. I mean, the laptop I use is definitely no gaming rig, but the 3 GBs I have are plenty for whatever needs doing.
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

Someone explain to me in a few simple barks what Steamworks is and how it works?

Assuming you're talking about Valve's steamworks, this page outlines it pretty well: http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/gameservices.php

To be honest, it does a whole bunch of things, but to sum it up I'd say it's a combination of a DRM program and a program that manages the online components of a game. Don't let the DRM bit scare you though, as far as DRM goes it's the best.

Indeed, I was. So, for instance, the brand new Metro 2033 PC copy that I bought for less than a tenner this week will need online activation through Steam?

Originally Posted by JackGordon
    Indeed, I was. So, for instance, the brand new Metro 2033 PC copy that I bought for less than a tenner this week will need online activation through Steam?
    From the brief research I did, yes, it does. Even if you download it off gamersgate, a competing service, it requires activation on steam.

I'll give you a quick rundown of how steam works with activations and such. Basically, the game needs to be activated on steam, which requires an account and requires an internet connection. After that, the game can be played regardless of connection. However, offline mode is trickier than it should be, but not because of some crazy DRM conspiracy, valve just kind of half-assed it (along with achievements). If you want to play games without an internet connection, you have to either lose connection while steam is still running, or set your status to offline mode before you exit steam. If you exit steam and try to start a game later with no internet connection, it won't work.

Once you're in offline mode, I believe you can stay in it for as long as you want, so the initial activation is the only real drm part of it. I hope that explains most of the DRM side of steam. Keep in mind though, games on steam may still have more DRM in addition, so be wary of ubisoft products in particular.

Thanks for the explanation. Honestly, it sounds quite off-putting to me... I'm guessing most big budget PC games use this?
    Thank science there's still honest services like Gog.com.

Yeah, sadly most big games do force you to use steam. It isn't nearly as bad as most drm, but it is an extra hassle. I mostly use it out of convenience and budget reasons. But I'd be lying if I said the drm part really bothers me. It's mostly just other clunky things that get on my nerves.

And I honestly can't recommend gog enough. They are just about the perfect videogame download service, but they are still expanding, so they won't have new releases all the time.

Indeed, there's always worse versions of DRM. Such as limited intalls, always online etc. What clown came up with those?!
    I was quite upset when I read this about the DRM crap 2K pulled with PC version of Bioshock. At least they've learned from their mistakes but I wonder what they'll do with the PC version of Bioshock: Infinite (to name one game for which I'm actually building this rig for).

EDIT: Wrong topic.

15. If you need any PC rig advice, pm me, i can get you started.
    signature image

16. Advice on graphics cards, SLI rigs get hot as if you dont have sufficent cooling, and if you wanna run SLI 670's i would recommend a 1000 Power Supply.
    signature image

Thanks, Johnson. Will do.

18. You disabled recieving private messages so ill put it here

That rig could *** monster anything on the Bioshock engine, but Metro last light isnt out yet so i dont know, if you got a SLi 670 sure but the last game is so unoptimized no single card can run it max at 60, high yea but not max.

It depends on the game, some are really badly ported and run regardless of how good the rig is (For example, i cant even dream to run Fable 3 higher than low on a 680) because its a port, where some are just easy, (Dead Island is very bad port but runs great)

Your rig is pretty much all good, PSU should be 1000wattz + if your gonna SLi.

Hope it helps man because atm that rig is great!
    signature image

19. Also when it comes to choosing processors, the golden rule atm is

i5 For gaming

i7 for Gaming + Video Editing, rendering and 3D work.
    signature image

SLI is something that I'll only attempt in the future but one thing does bother me; air flow in the case I've chosen. This is a pic of what my rig will probably look like. Put in the modular PSU (sideways), add cables, a second GPU and the whole thing will surely overheat, yes? So I may have to reconsider... Recommend any cases with optimal airflow and where the motherboard can be mounted horizontally?

21. SLI gets hotter yes but if your running a single card, air flows fine.

Besides the usual graphics card fan and power supply fan, i only have 2 active case fans and i never get into dangerous temps, and i've had my rig almost a year now with no faults.
    signature image

Building a gaming PC

Originally Posted by Brackstone17
    Assuming you're talking about Valve's steamworks, this page outlines it pretty well: http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/gameservices.php

To be honest, it does a whole bunch of things, but to sum it up I'd say it's a combination of a Duplicate File Finder program and a program that manages the online components of a game. Don't let the DRM bit scare you though, as far as DRM goes it's the best.
    What Is that Link For?

i need a little help as well

I also need a little bit of help building a gaming pc, I'm not super advanced with some of the skills needed to put together a pc but i'm trying to learn all I can. I found this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXcY8LYJuT4 because people say you can learn to do anything by watching a video on youtube. I was curious what some of you more advanced people thought of the video and if it's a good source for me to use or not? Any feedback would be great, thanks!

There are some sellers, like on eBay. They have you build your own computer. You just click on what you want from lists and they build it for you. Remember that if something is hard, doing it hard is the hard way to do it and there's usually a simple way.
    XZX WAS HERE