Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questionnaire - How do you browse the forums?

Question Questionnaire - How do you browse the forums?

I'm doing a little research in preparation for a possible forum improvement.

For this, I would like to ask everyone to tell me how they browse the forums.

Do you view all posts in all threads? Or do you only read threads which are of interest of you? If so, what is the percentage of threads you read vs. the ones you don't read?

And if you're following a thread, how do you navigate to the first unread post? Do you click on the thread title and then search from there? Or do you click the "last page" link behind the thread title? Or do you use email notifications to tell you where you left off?

How often do you visit the forums? Every day? Or just workdays? Or just whenever you have free time?

Do you check the sticky threads often? Or do you usually ignore them and scroll right down to the regular threads?

Feedback by as many members as possible would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

I normally read all of the posts on the page that has last been used but sometimes if I see an interesting discussion I read some of the other pages as well.

I click on the "last page" when following a thread of the last read post.

I visit the forums generally every day - if not, every other day.

Yeah, I read every post in every thread I always click on the last page, and if I see the page changed, I click on the previous button to look for the unread posts I visit the forums multiple times a day. Sticky threads are no different from other threads to me
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    Yeah, I read every post in every thread I always click on the last page, and if I see the page changed, I click on the previous button to look for the unread posts I visit the forums multiple times a day. Sticky threads are no different from other threads to me
    Same here!!! It's like I wrote this myself!!!
    signature image

If I'm talking to someone I'll read all posts.
    I mainly read threads that sound interesting.
    50/50.
    I go to the end and work my way back until I've found one I've read.
    Everyday.
    I ignore the sticky threads.

signature image

I only folow threads I'm interested in, like 70%-30% .
    I use 'last page' (I don't use links from email notifications, but I haste when I don't receive them )
    I mostly visit forum every day.
    I check sticky treads only if they moved up.
    signature image

Do you view all posts in all threads?
    No chance. Too much else I could be doing.

Or do you only read threads which are of interest of you?
    This.

If so, what is the percentage of threads you read vs. the ones you don't read?
    No percentage evaluation is possible, as this will vary from day to day and thread to thread.

And if you're following a thread, how do you navigate to the first unread post? Do you click on the thread title and then search from there? Or do you click the "last page" link behind the thread title? Or do you use email notifications to tell you where you left off?
    None of the above. I click on the little blue 'last unread post' button. By FAR the easiest method!

How often do you visit the forums? Every day? Or just workdays? Or just whenever you have free time?
    Every day. Mostly. I'm someone who's likely to be here for a few minutes, then gone, then back later rather than spending ages in one visit.

Do you check the sticky threads often? Or do you usually ignore them and scroll right down to the regular threads?
    Pretty much never. I assume anything worth commenting on will be picked up on by others and get its own thread, whether for praise or condemnation. That which excites interest always does.

With the obvious exception of the Humble Abode thread, as that's a general chat thread.
    signature image

I mainly only read the threads I am interested in and maybe 60-70% of threads overall. Each day I check for new threads and review the most recent posts of those threads I have been interested in (especially those I posted in). I open the threads then click last page and start reading from where I left off just but just remembering where I got to last time rather than by notifications.

I visit the Tomb Raider section and TR general disscussion pretty much every day without fail. For me there are so many sticky threads that I just end up ignoring them and starting at the most recently updated. I see the sticky threads as mainly FAQ rather than something you can have so much fun to debate on.
    signature image

I browse the forums almost daily, at the very least 5 days a week.

I check most of the threads, and for those I do read all the posts.

I actually never noticed that "last read post" link above (so small) but I'll probably start using it more often.

I read the regular threads more often as the stickies aren't updated all that often.
    signature image

i rather regular threads and not the sticky ones,
    sticky ones are boring lately.. no offence but yeah.. read the other posts im not alone on this.
    i can't be certain about the % and when i get on but i check mostly new threads without much replies, unless the subject is hot so i will probably check that too..
    the time now..
    mostly every day for 10 to 20 mins but when im at my school's lab im here too via school s pc (mondays, thursdays and fridays) for 1 or maybe 2 hours.. it depends on my schoolmate and if im bored or not.. mostly im bored with his fb gfs so im sighing in here
    what else? umm aaa the last page.. no no i select from the top of the topic options to take me to general discussion after i put my post to check other topics, mostly those i replied to but u know me..
    maybe not :/
    Denis: There is something I don't entirely trust about this guy..
    John: Just because he just killed a girl in front of us..?

I look for the threads that have been recently updated and read the new posts. I am about 50:50 on reading different threads or not.

To get to last post I click the thread title a then last page. I don't want my inbox filled with new post reminders. I visit 2-3 week but way more if there's a big old skool/new Skool fan debate on.

I don't often go to sticky threads and I view it as a place to post artwork.

I think the forum is quite good now for navigating so I wouldn't want any big changes that make it harder to navigate. When one of the social networks changed their design I quit soon after as I could never get from page to page the way I wanted.
    Andy64 - The TR traditionalist maverick

by far .. only those im interested in and updated ....80% 20% i guess

---------

i use the "last page"
    oh and i never use email notifications it's like a false alarm when you go check your emails ... with ... love

---------

Everyday .. it's the 7th tab of my homepage..S xD

---------

if they're updated yeah i check them .
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    No chance. Too much else I could be doing.

This.

No percentage evaluation is possible, as this will vary from day to day and thread to thread.

None of the above. I click on the little blue 'last unread post' button. By FAR the easiest method!

Every day. Mostly. I'm someone who's likely to be here for a few minutes, then gone, then back later rather than spending ages in one visit.

Pretty much never. I assume anything worth commenting on will be picked up on by others and get its own thread, whether for praise or condemnation. That which excites interest always does.

With the obvious exception of the Humble Abode thread, as that's a general chat thread.

Exactly my answers!

From the sticky threads i only read every day the spam thread. The others, when i get bored
    signature image

Great feedback so far, guys

I've already learned some things and even got a few more additional ideas for possible improvements based on your browsing behaviour!

Keep it coming (those who didn't post yet)

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

I check the forum about once a day, but will often go days without posting something. I do check the sticky threads, any thread that I have posted in recently, and anything new that shows up. When I'm checking a thread, i always click on "last page", and for some reason i tend to read some threads "backwards" (as in newest posts first) until i reach the point i left off at last. I tend ignore threads that haven't moved much since my last visit. If a thread is on a subject that I'm not very interested in, I also tend to ignore it.
    "I'd like to say it was nice to meet you, but that would be a lie"
    signature image

checking in when ever i feel like it 3 times a week sounds something like it.

basically reading 70% of the posts that sound interesting, when i follow a topic always using the last page or the first unread in front of the link.

The sticky threads are easy read over, on an other forum I've seen admins handle it different like giving a pop-up to people when they come back to the forum when a important sticky thread(like forum rules) is updated. But i personally dont like popups :S :P maybe there is another way to make them more visible

There's no reason making them more visible, there are already sticky, and we've got 8 of them
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    There's no reason making them more visible, there are already sticky, and we've got 8 of them
    oh i was thinking about the announcements like the important TOU, never mind then.

I only open threads that have topics that interest me. Sometimes I'll read through all the posts, but if there's more than 2 pages to go through I'll just read the last couple of pages to catch up. And honestly, the threads that interest me are outnumbered by the ones that don't. I'd say I read maybe 1 in every 10?

I only visit the forum when I want to know if there's any new information about the new Tomb Raider game, so maybe once or twice a week.

I visit maybe once a week. Used to be alot more and probably will be again after the new game comes out. I scan for hot topics and see what the recent debate was so sort of last couple of pages in maybe 60% of threads.

I click on threads and navigate via page numbers. I don't check sticky threads that often and I wish the Times thread could be more separated. I love watching the Crystal podcasts so maybe they could get their own threads instead of being hidden away. There is just sooooo much to look through and too many links in the Times thread to see everything on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
    I wish the Times thread could be more separated.
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
    I love watching the Crystal podcasts so maybe they could get their own threads instead of being hidden away.
    There is a dedicated podcast thread

*bump*

started using a email notifications for a few threads works great.
    and still clicking the first unread button.

I use The Force.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

I like to look up current / new threads that are ongoing. Sometimes I might deviate to some threads, and just read to catch up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast