Thread: Just an idea for a "new" health system for TR9.

Lightbulb Just an idea for a "new" health system for TR9.

The recent poll regarding regenerating health vs. medpacks got me thinking.

Wouldn't it be nice if TR would implement a health bar with an actual value of hit points? Like an MMORPG kind of HP bar.

Take for example. At the start of the game, she has 2500 hit points.

And the enemies initially have, like say, 300 damage.

The farther Lara explores the map, the greater the enemies' damage gets.

Then she can scavenge or gather for gear (like a vest or a pair of pants) which can give her extra bonus hit points or defense. These items may be upgraded when she returns to camp with necessary materials, since, I assume, there will also be a gathering system in the upcoming game.

The developers already confirmed that we will be getting a skill tree and XP system, so I just thought it would a cool add-on.
    signature image

It's a good idea, I just wouldn't like it in a Tomb Raider game :/
    signature image

i think it in the same way that a big house does
    but maybe a game like GoL with this system would be cool

It would be nice if the enemies get stronger the more we progress through the story, but if I choose to explore, I don't want impossibly strong enemies to make me not be able to explore...
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

I like the idea of enemies being stronger later on in the game, but I want the game to be open world, so CD first need to find a good way to balance plot progression and our freedom across the land.

That's where some real gear gating could come in handy.

RPG...RPG...

Not Rocket Propelled Grenade, I meant Role Playing Game. It's a good idea no doubt, and if the future TR can be more open ended, like near Skyrim, this should be applied.

BTW, "I feel stronger" is copyrighted by Angel of Darkness.

This system is not quite "new", and it would make sense in a game where you improve your armor class, invest points in strenght, stamina, or agility, where you level up and earn skill points, choose habilities to invest, upgrade your weapons.

Also the human body is way more complicated than a given ammount of heath points. The same hit have different effects on let's say a foot, one shoulder or in between the eyes. An arrow in the knee allows you to tell the story, in your heart it doesn't. Even for a contemporary RPG a HP system is too limited. You can't determine the power of one hit simply by the level of the enemy who caused it.
    signature image

^ Man, I'm playing Borderlands 2 and there enemies really react to where you hit them, and how many health they have left... And there is all sorts of enemies in Borderlands so, you can imagine all the diversity
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

I'm not sure I care for that idea sorry. Sounds too complicated. Maybe just something simple like she finds fruit or something in trees and she uses her bow and arrows to knock and down and eats it to replenish some health. Maybe certain items replenish health better than others. Maybe she can have a stamina bar too to replenish also.
    signature image

I love the idea but not for Tomb Raider. I love the thought of enemies getting stronger, though! Very creative

I remember those classic HP bars, they actually kept my eyes away from the action sometimes. But it was a novel idea to see them only in close up fights, like boss battles. Honestly I'm not sure if it would work with TR. Its always had its own composure, and it would give you a heads up that Lara was about to "die".

I'm sure that in the new TR it may even have a new health system. (in regards to what we obtain, and use) If she does happen to level up, it may be progression instead of just class types and numbers. Could be interesting
    signature image

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=129088, first post has answers of Q&A session done with Meagan Marie and Brian Horton:
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielsun View Post
    Health: Health is regenerative to show damage you will get blood splatter on the screen (no, not like COD) Double vision as it gets worse and then eventually death (unless of course your survive and regen )
    My guess regarding the skill system in Tomb Raider project is the player will be able to upgrade the rate of automatic health regeneration and the "durability" of Lara (more HP in the invisible HP bar).