Thread: Looking for Robocop in DXHR

Looking for Robocop in DXHR

Looking for Robocop in DXHR

The most obvious easter egg is the office in the Detroit Police precinct, You find an officer named Alex Murphy, the character who will become Robocop, discussing with another officer an 80s action movie where the protagonist is resurrected as a cyborg, With a wink Alex murphy asks if it is not that Van Damme one, an allusion to Universal Soldier. We of course know they are referring to Robocop. This is of course one very overt reference to what is I believe a main influence on not only Human Revolution's title character but also on its Story, Narrative structure, themes and social commentary.

The point of this post is to list from my perception the references , allusions and inside jokes/easter eggs dotted throughout Deus Ex concerning Robocop. It is my opinion that the game makes more then a nod to the similarity of two future cyborgs from Detroit but in fact also draws from Robocop inspiration and ideas on both a thematic and narrative level. In my enthusiasm I may have over reached and exaggerated in some instances so for this I apologise. I love DXHR and also Robocop. I hope that this list will bring a little bit more insight and meaning to the world of DXHR and may even encourage a few DX fans to go waste 87 mins enjoying Robocop.

Death & Resurrection :

The death of Adam Jenson mirrors that of Alex Murphy. Both are horrifically murdered. Alex murphy by a violent gang, AJ also a violen group of mercs, although not shot to death he is thrown thorugh plate glass and has a retaining wall collapse on him.Also the last thing they both see is identical, the villian pointing a gun at their headand firing.

Both characters are as good as dead and both are brought back to life as cyborgs by their corporate employers, OCP and Sarif respecitvley.

The montage depicting the transformation of AJ I believe alludes to Robocops own rebirth montage.
    In this state AJ hears Megan exclaim “I Love you” In an almost identical way to what Robocop/ Alex Murphy hears from his wife in one of his own flashbacks “I really have to tell you something, (I Love you)” . I love you is uttered when Robo has the same flashback later on in the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4vUzmKYsg8 - Alex Murphey Death scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1IOmJrsp0s - AJ Resurrection

The construction of the Cyborg:

When you read the report of the attack and of Adam's surgery and cybernitc conversion again you see a definite homage to Robocop.

It states in the E-book that they were able to save most of AJ's body, However it was requested by Sarif that the entire body and legs be replaced with the cybernetic equivalent, In place with the contract AJ signed. In Robocop the scientists inform the OCP executive, Bob Morton, They were able to save Murphy's left arm, that he will not have to be entirely cybernetic. Bob morton rejects this, he says he requested Total Body Prosthesis. Like Adam Jenson, apart from a few organic components he is destined to be mostly Cybernetic. Lastly the other OCP executive, when asked what he thinks states, “Well he signed the release forms when he joined the force, He is legally dead, we can pretty much do what we want with him”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg_V8...eature=related - Resurrection of Robocop

The Power of the Cyborg.

It should be noted that apart from the obvious nods to MGS and Ghost in the shell some of Ajs powers are directly derived from Robocop. The enhanced hud like view. The ability to see through walls and punch through them , both used by Robocop on his first night out of the gate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...g7Tjs6A#t=121s - See Robo use Thermograph vision to decide where he punches through the wall.

Identity and the Frankenstein dilemma :

This section deals with mostly thematic similarites. Both AJ and Robo are contructed by Private corporations, brought back to life against their will, to do their employers bidding. It is worth noting that while AJ retains his memory a part of the story is that he feels he has changed and he is coming to terms with his new body. Robocop on the other hand had a memory wipe and not until the last scene even accepts he is Murphy. At one point he asks “ Murphy had a wife and son” …. “ I can feel them but I don't remember them”. Thematicaly both cyborgs are serching for Identity after being changed beyond their will. A more existential question I think rasied by HR and Robocop is ,
    When you area cyborg, in fact when you do not even own your own body or memories, then who owns your Identity? How does one carve out a sense of individualism in a Corporate controlled world?

The Frankenstein Dilemma, Both AJ and Robocop at first seem grateful for their second chance and new powers. They can wrong the rights, yet at the beginning , like Frankenstein's monster both are ignorant and Naive of their purpose and ultimately what they represent. As expected both turn on their creator and fully assert their own identity in time.

Story Arc :

AJs arc closely mirrors that of Robocop. He is on a quest for revenge against those that killed him and his partner , megan, much like Robocop relentlessly purses his killers only to find it leads him directly into conflict with the very forces and organization that made him.

Misc tidbits:

Get the burst modification for the 10 mm, Reminds me of Robos Auto 9.

One mission you encounter two enemies watching tv and bickering, you surprise them. Very reminiscent of the scene in Robocop where Alex Murphy surprise to perps in the abadoned steel Mill.

Thanks for reading that is it for now. Please add your own observations and comments below. Sorry it is not very comprehensive and mostly my own speculation , I just felt this game had a lot of Roobocop in it's DNA. Be nice.

Eidos said outright that Robocop was one of the main influences on this game.
    signature image

Murphy largely let go of his human life and embraced being a cyborg. He had memories, but he never deeply questioned what he had become, because of his strong sense of duty. Other robocops went nuts or killed themselves because they couldn't deal with being a cyborg.

AJ dithers between "Awesome, I can haz wall punch" and "But I am still human damnit!" He dutifully chases the girl through the whole game, but the existence of the suicide option at the end tells me that he never really finds peace with his new nature.
    I am Wrath. I am Hatred. I am the righteous Vengeance.

Robocop was better.
    Play games for the story

Originally Posted by Olgerth Heidern
    the existence of the suicide option at the end tells me that he never really finds peace with his new nature.
    Not just suicide. Murder-suicide.

Originally Posted by Kodaemon
    Not just suicide. Murder-suicide.
    Exactly, and although I like the fact that it is 'neural' ending, it really annoys me for that reason. In general, 'heroic suicide' endings always bug me.

DX:HR is Robocop all over. And I love it.
    DX:HR actually I think subverts the 'hyper-masculine' and tough but sexless cyborg as presented in Robocop, as Adam is sexualised (as evidenced by his shirtless appearance in the trailer) but also more fragile, and his continued obsession with Megan is revealed as ultimately pathetic and tragic, calling his masculinity into question.

Originally Posted by Zoet
    Exactly, and although I like the fact that it is 'neural' ending, it really annoys me for that reason. In general, 'heroic suicide' endings always bug me.

DX:HR is Robocop all over. And I love it.
    DX:HR actually I think subverts the 'hyper-masculine' and tough but sexless cyborg as presented in Robocop, as Adam is sexualised (as evidenced by his shirtless appearance in the trailer) but also more fragile, and his continued obsession with Megan is revealed as ultimately pathetic and tragic, calling his masculinity into question.
    Good point about the role of masculinity in both Robocop and DX. Ultimately I think in Robocop by being sexless in a sense it was an attack on Murphy's identity that he was emasculated to a degree, whereas as you point out and I agree AJ is much more sexualised and often appears more desirable to the women around him, He has become more alpha.

However I would not call his obsession over Megan pathetic. Like Robocop and his family I would guess that it represents a link to his old self and fulfils him with a sense of purpose / Drive to seek out revenge. I would agree with you though that it is a weak flaw but I guess helps the push the narrative along and is a cheap way to build character.

Thanks for the input man

Originally Posted by Olgerth Heidern
    Murphy largely let go of his human life and embraced being a cyborg. He had memories, but he never deeply questioned what he had become, because of his strong sense of duty. Other robocops went nuts or killed themselves because they couldn't deal with being a cyborg.

AJ dithers between "Awesome, I can haz wall punch" and "But I am still human damnit!" He dutifully chases the girl through the whole game, but the existence of the suicide option at the end tells me that he never really finds peace with his new nature.
    NIce points. In terms of questioning what he had become and his sense of duty I think in Robocop, Robo ultimately does question himself. If you remember the film goes through the whole rigmarole of him finding out about Murphy, visiting his home, challenging his duties , he turns on OCP and is turned on by the police, and a good visual motif, he eventually removes his helmet has he begins to reclaim his old identity. Also about the other cyborgs going nuts etc that is I believe from Robocop 2, Maybe I should have clarified but I was really on working on Robocop 1. I can't stand the sequels. But thank you , you raised a good point. And for AJ , maybe suicide was a kind of peace, He never asked for it if you remember.

Originally Posted by sonicsidewinder
    Robocop was better.
    Agree , but I guess DXHR is as close to a good Robocop game we will ever get.

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    Eidos said outright that Robocop was one of the main influences on this game.
    Yes I remember some of the press releases. My aim was to really highlight where I felt I could see the influences in the game. As I mentioned for those who have never seen Robocop this could provide them with a bit more insight into the games story and may even encourage a few DXHR fans to go watch Robo.

So I hear they're rebooting RoboCop.

Originally Posted by sonicsidewinder
    Robocop was better.
    Oh man, I believe I'm saying it, but +1!

I love Robocop's clunky cyborg style. Dude can't run, needs to go into hilarious stances just to shoot, but gets the job done no matter what.

Sure, AJ uncovered a globe-spanning Illuminati conspiracy. Robocop stopped Skynet. Easy pick.

i liked it when that jerk fell in the vat of toxic waste.

totally got what was coming to him.

the old NES game had its moments actually.